Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans are pretenders

Colts20593

No one expected anything out of the Colts this season. Several pundits had the Colts winning only between 1 and 3 games. Texans are supposed to be Super Bowl contenders. And with a chance to wrap up the No. 1 seed at home yesterday, they crapped the bed.

It's cool, we should clinch next week. :D

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cool, we should clinch next week. :D

I really thought y'all would have locked everything up by now. It would also be strange if your first win in Indy came from us sitting Luck and Co. Y'all seem cursed in Indy, that said, I've been rather impressed with everything I've seen, but that Cushing injury has hurt tremendously. What's up with Arian's heart? Is he good to go this week?

I really thought y'all would have locked everything up by now. It would also be strange if your first win in Indy came from us sitting Luck and Co. Y'all seem cursed in Indy, that said, I've been rather impressed with everything I've seen, but that Cushing injury has hurt tremendously. What's up with Arian's heart? Is he good to go this week?

Thanks for the concern, he's good, he went through a few more tests today and should be good to go against you guys. Reed should be back too. That Cushing injury really has affected us greatly but hey, next man up. And yeah, it would be quite strange if we won for the first time with everything on the line in Indianapolis. Records are meant to be broken haha

1 What does this have to do with evaluating the Houston Texans?

2 What does this have to do with evaluating the Houston Texans?

3 What does this have to do with evaluating the Houston Texans?

4 What does this have to do with evaluating the Houston Texans?

I think you got confused and thought the title of this thread was "The Indianapolis Colts are pretenders", because there isn't a single thing you said that pertains at all to the subject of this thread.

If you think the Title Texans are pretenders has anything to with an evaluation of the Texans then I dont know what to tell ya

If you think the Title Texans are pretenders has anything to with an evaluation of the Texans then I dont know what to tell ya

No.....I think your line of thinking is quite clear:

Apparently Colts50923 can't opine that a random NFL team isn't as good as their record indicates (a very defensible stance in the case of the Houston Texans, I might add) because the NFL team HE is a fan of has a bad OLine and their OC is their head coach. 

Makes perfect sense, guy.  :thmup:

Better shut down the internet now if opinions under such circumstances aren't allowed.....lol

No.....I think your line of thinking is quite clear:

Apparently Colts50923 can't opine that a random NFL team isn't as good as their record indicates (a very defensible stance in the case of the Houston Texans, I might add) because the NFL team HE is a fan of has a bad OLine and their OC is their head coach. 

Makes perfect sense, guy.  :thmup:

Better shut down the internet now if opinions under such circumstances aren't allowed.....lol

Gavin is right. This thread was made out of a mixture of frustration to a loss that the OP believes his team "should have had" and perhaps a tinge of jealousy. He made no points whatsoever about any strong or weak points the Texans had, all he did was mention our previous two losses, which had nothing to do with the Colts game, which didn't merit any criticism at all, honestly, considering that we won. But tomato tomata I suppose.

My concern with texans is sometimes their offense doesn't show up especially against teams who shut down their running game or who get the jump on them early like the patriots vikings and packers. If texans play broncos or patriots in playoffs I don't see how they win. Broncos or patriots will prob be most likely afc representatives if its anyone else. Inconsistent ravens questionable colts questionable texans d in secondary and young bengals id be surprised

I just don't think we will allow the Texans to win this Sunday.  With Pagano on the sidelines, and the fact that we have never lost to Houston at home I think we will play with playoff like intensity and precision.  I simply don't think we will let ourselves and our fans down.  To me it's the same scenario as it was when we went to Houston 2 weeks ago.  The Texans were simply not going to allow us to add to there embarassment.  In our case we simply will not allow ourselves to put on a bad perfomance for Chucks return, and we simply will not allow them to get their first ever W in our house.   I don't see the Texans winning this Sunday.  Period!

Gavin is right. This thread was made out of a mixture of frustration to a loss that the OP believes his team "should have had" and perhaps a tinge of jealousy. He made no points whatsoever about any strong or weak points the Texans had, all he did was mention our previous two losses, which had nothing to do with the Colts game, which didn't merit any criticism at all, honestly, considering that we won. But tomato tomata I suppose.

Gavin couldn't be more wrong.

A team that was almost universally predicted to win 2-4 games the entire year and lost their head coach to illness week 4 and ended up making the playoffs and winning 10-11 games.....by any definition on the planet earth is not a "pretender".  They are the exact opposiite actually, well exceeding the expectations of probably 100% of the entire football watching population.

But again, this has nothing to do with a thread titled "Texans are pretenders."  Whether your a fan of the Packers, Chiefs, Raiders or Broncos......regardless of what holes the team that you are a fan of has, you are allowed to have an opinion on whether or not the Houston Texans are as good as their record.

A team that was almost universally predicted to win 2-4 games the entire year and lost their head coach to illness week 4 and ended up making the playoffs and winning 10-11 games.....by any definition on the planet earth is not a "pretender". They are the exact opposiite actually, well exceeding the expectations of probably 100% of the entire football watching population.

But again, this has nothing to do with a thread titled "Texans are pretenders." Whether your a fan of the Packers, Chiefs, Raiders or Broncos......regardless of what holes the team that you are a fan of has, you are allowed to have an opinion on whether or not the Houston Texans are as good as their record.

You seem to have missed the point entirely. Yes you can have an opinion about the Texans. This is America. However, this thread was not about that at all. It was made out of anger and made no valid points at all about why we are "pretenders" which we aren't.

A team that was almost universally predicted to win 2-4 games the entire year and lost their head coach to illness week 4 and ended up making the playoffs and winning 10-11 games.....by any definition on the planet earth is not a "pretender".  They are the exact opposiite actually, well exceeding the expectations of probably 100% of the entire football watching population.

But again, this has nothing to do with a thread titled "Texans are pretenders."  Whether your a fan of the Packers, Chiefs, Raiders or Broncos......regardless of what holes the team that you are a fan of has, you are allowed to have an opinion on whether or not the Houston Texans are as good as their record.

Well exceeded without a doubt, Im proud of them, they won many close games that could have went either way but against who?

Browns? C'mon they dont have a number 1 WR

Titans? no pass rush and there O Line disappeared

Dolphins? I still think they are looking for there franchise QB and WR

Jags? Heck of a running back but no QB

Bills? eh they are closer to competing then all of the above in my opinion except maybe Titans

Hey they had some good wins against quality playoff teams

Green Bay

maybe the Vikings

They also beat the Lions which is a decent team despite a bad year, Hung around with the Texans for a while . we are not far off but we have an uphill climb vs any team in the playoffs especially on the AFC side.

That all makes us pretenders, Hey if we can beat Baltimore in the WC then Ill buy the contenders argument

You seem to have missed the point entirely. Yes you can have an opinion about the Texans. This is America. However, this thread was not about that at all. It was made out of anger and made no valid points at all about why we are "pretenders" which we aren't.

No.....it is you who completly strayed from the original point I made.  I suggest you first reread the applicable post made by Gavin, and then the response made by myself before you decided to interject yourself into this.  If you're still as confused as you clearly are right now, I'll spell it out one last time for you one last time, right here:

Whether or not the OP made valid points in regards to the Texans being pretenders, the current status of the Indianapolis Colts organization is completely immaterial as it pertains to the credibility of him having such a viewpoint.  Hope you are able to keep up and this clears things up for you.

Merry Christmas.

No.....it is you who completly strayed from the original point I made. I suggest you first reread the applicable post made by Gavin, and then the response made by myself before you decided to interject yourself into this. If you're still as confused as you clearly are right now, I'll spell it out one last time for you one last time, right here:

Whether or not the OP made valid points in regards to the Texans being pretenders, the current status of the Indianapolis Colts organization is completely immaterial as it pertains to the credibility of him having such a viewpoint. Hope you are able to keep up and this clears things up for you.

Merry Christmas.

...did you actually read Gavins post? It doesn't seem like it. I think you are the one in need of clearing up. If you are talking about the Colts evaluating point, yes, it is hypocritical, but at the same time no, it does not mean that an opinion on any other team can't be had. In any case, my answer to this topic is: No. The Texans are not pretenders. I will leave it at that.

...did you actually read Gavins post? It doesn't seem like it. I think you are the one in need of clearing up. If you are talking about the Colts evaluating point, yes, it is hypocritical, but at the same time no, it does not mean that an opinion on any other team can't be had. In any case, my answer to this topic is: No. The Texans are not pretenders. I will leave it at that.

*sigh* My last attempt at helping you. 

I think you really need to familiarize yourself with the following concept, because you're just not getting it using your own brainpower.  And after you've studied this, go back and reread Gavin's first response in this thread, and see if you can apply what you've learned!  Here's a starting point:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/irrelevancy

A safe holiday to you and yours.

:wave:

I think you really need to familiarize yourself with the following concept, because you're just not getting it using your own brainpower. And after you've studied this, go back and reread Gavin's first response in this thread, and see if you can apply what you've learned! Here's a starting point:

Forget it. You have no idea what I'm talking about. Merry Christmas.

I think you really need to familiarize yourself with the following concept, because you're just not getting it using your own brainpower.  And after you've studied this, go back and reread Gavin's first response in this thread, and see if you can apply what you've learned!  Here's a starting point:

Hmm have ya read the title of this thread yet and what the reasons were that were given that the Texans are pretenders?The Texans beat

1.Bears

2.Ravens

3.Lions

4. Denver

That right there tells you that the Texans are not pretenders, I made a comparison based on facts and the fact is the Texans had a heck of alot harder schedule then we did, People make comparisons all the time.

You are what your record says you are---

Wow, 'dem Texans purty dang good, slumpin' a lil bit, but, dad gummit, 'dey good!   ;)

I jusr hope we can keep the Indy home field streak vs. the Texans alive, but I have no idea what kind of zeal come out with, nor if any personnel changes will be made in game. (spot resting players after getting some reps, etc...)  I just know Houston would probably like to play at Reliant all the way through...

You are what your record says you are---

Wow, 'dem Texans purty dang good, slumpin' a lil bit, but, dad gummit, 'dey good!   ;)

I jusr hope we can keep the Indy home field streak vs. the Texans alive, but I have no idea what kind of zeal come out with, nor if any personnel changes will be made in game. (spot resting players after getting some reps, etc...)  I just know Houston would probably like to play at Reliant all the way through...

Exactly. We need homefield, so we need this win. Who could've thought of a more dramatic way for the streak to be broken? haha

LOL at the "jealousy" and "anger" comments. Yeah, I can vouch for being angry when I first posted.... now I'm just amused. Lots of frustrated people on here. I think if this thread had been created after a win in that first Colts Texans matchup, some other *-and-bull excuse would have been given for the creation of the thread. I think momentum went out the window a long time ago with THAT ship.

The Texans lack something. While I admire and respect Arian Foster, they can't rely on him alone come playoff time. Schaub will have to do soemthing and quite honestly I'm not sure he's capable. He is an average QB, however the proof is in the pudding that it takes elite level QB play to win the superbowl in recent years.

As for the defense, they have become highly suspect through the air in recent weeks, the Colts refused to exploit their achilles heal (short quick passes) and lost as a result of their own ignorance. I'm not sure what happened with their run D but all you heard was we couldn't run on them, yet Ballard had over 100 yards. I still believe if the Colts played their games and not made stupid mistakes they would have won. But they have the chance to do that this weekend, and I think they do. And yes, JJ Watt is a beast

On the QB note, I'm not sure why GM's feel compelled to stick with a mediocre QB when to me as a fan it's clear this guy isnt ever going to lead his team to the superbowl. Look at Sanchez, If I was the GM I would have dumped him after his second season (yes, after back to back AFCCG's) and certainly after last season. However, I can also see the tough spot they are put in like this coming offseason, no top QB prospects and FA class is trash. Would be interesting to see a team with a solid D and good skill players dump a mediocre QB and mortgage the farm to trade up and take a good QB prospect. Not sure it ever will happen.

Any questions?

The Texans lack something. While I admire and respect Arian Foster, they can't rely on him alone come playoff time. Schaub will have to do soemthing and quite honestly I'm not sure he's capable. He is an average QB, however the proof is in the pudding that it takes elite level QB play to win the superbowl in recent years.

As for the defense, they have become highly suspect through the air in recent weeks, the Colts refused to exploit their achilles heal (short quick passes) and lost as a result of their own ignorance. I'm not sure what happened with their run D but all you heard was we couldn't run on them, yet Ballard had over 100 yards. I still believe if the Colts played their games and not made stupid mistakes they would have won. But they have the chance to do that this weekend, and I think they do. And yes, JJ Watt is a beast

On the QB note, I'm not sure why GM's feel compelled to stick with a mediocre QB when to me as a fan it's clear this guy isnt ever going to lead his team to the superbowl. Look at Sanchez, If I was the GM I would have dumped him after his second season (yes, after back to back AFCCG's) and certainly after last season. However, I can also see the tough spot they are put in like this coming offseason, no top QB prospects and FA class is trash. Would be interesting to see a team with a solid D and good skill players dump a mediocre QB and mortgage the farm to trade up and take a good QB prospect. Not sure it ever will happen.

Any questions?

Come on now, Peyton Manning was the exact opposite of elite on our run to the Superbowl in 2006, Our defense got us there once we got in the playoffs. Also about Schaub, while he is not the BEST in the league he is undoubtedly inside the top 10, He lead the league in passing yard in 2009, was 4th in completion percentage, 5th in TD passes, had the most completions in the league with the most passes. Hey Im a die hard colts fan but this Schaub is average is way off base, he is really good, Not Manning good but who is? really good is still really good even if its not Manning good.......although like I said come playoff time Manning was barely average

Even though Schaub is a veteran he is a rookie to playoff pressure. Some handle it very well, some don't. I will not make any judgement on that yet but he scares me sometimes. He has to NEED pressure. Not just want it.

Herrrmmmm, perhaps we can just hope he remains that way? Back on to the subject of cake.

The Texans are NOT pretenders (J.J. Watt, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson) but they are not as good as everyone thought.  I sure hope the Colts don't have that attitude or we will be the ones losing.  Can the Colts beat Houston ... sure but not easily.  We need to be playing our best games entering the playoffs and last week was not a good start.  GO COLTS!

Texans seem to have lost some of their "edge" but I'm not concerned. Look at history, saints go 13-0, lose last 3, win SB. Colts made it to the SB after coasting to the end a few years back. The NFL season is long and it is hard to stay pumped and sharp the entire time. Kubiak has been to 7 Super Bowls as player and assistant coach; he knows how to pace a team.

Funny reading some of these posts. The Colts are 10-5, but have been outscored by 50 or so throughout the season. Guess they've been blown out a few times. Turnover margin is terrible, but they've gotten away with it. Don't expect that in the playoffs. You would have won in Houston except for the blocked punt (maybe your guy should have blocked #50?) and the fumble at the 1 (maybe your guy should have held on to the ball) and the penalties (maybe your coach shouldn't have cussed out the refs, this isn't HS, the refs don't go for that in the NFL).

So have your fun with the 12-3 Texans. But let's not get silly stupid.

Last thing, as much as all you Colts fans would love to see your team go all out to beat the Texans on Sunday, that's a crazy approach. Why do you think teams try so hard to get the bye? At the end of the season everyone is beat up. Last year the Texas had nothing to play for against the Titans. Same exact scenario, so they rested as many as they could. Had a TE playing ILB the 4th quarter. Guess what, they were sharp as nails vs the Bengals and came close to knocking off the Ravens except 3rd string QB just couldn't keep up the magic. If you have dinged up players, you want to rest them. I know it will look bad for the Texans if it takes the Colts playing subs for them to get a win in Indy, but that's for media guys and fans to talk about. The coaches and players know what's up and don't expect the Colts to play all their stars 100%. If they do, it will be because emotion got the best of them with Pagano's return.

I think the Colts rest, Texans probably win, and both go on to represent AFC South in a big way. Good Luck in the playoffs Colts. It's hard not to like your team and their performance this year.

The Texans are NOT pretenders (J.J. Watt, Arian Foster, Andre Johnson) but they are not as good as everyone thought.  I sure hope the Colts don't have that attitude or we will be the ones losing.  Can the Colts beat Houston ... sure but not easily.  We need to be playing our best games entering the playoffs and last week was not a good start.  GO COLTS!

The Texans are definitely pretenders.