Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Unknown Players that have a Good Chance at Making the Roster

Andy

At one point, almost everyone counted them out, but now after a solid training camp and a good preseason game against the Rams, the chances of making it are in their favor.

Jerell Freeman -- Linebacker

Freeman was a standout in the CFL, cementing himself as one of the leagues best linebackers within only a couple of years. Then he decided to switch over to the NFL and thought he could make any roster. Well, at first, many people thought that he would be on the practice squad at best. Then, training camp came around and I noticed that he was one of the hardest working guys on the field, even though he was playing with the 2nd and 3rd teamers. He has a great motor, and his tackling skills were surprisingly impressive. He doesn't miss too many tackles. This earned him the role of backup going into the Rams game. He was expected to go in the late 2nd quarter or the beginning of the 3rd quarter, but due to an injury to Pat Angerer, he came in early. One of the plays that stood out to me was Isaiah Peed, the Rams' running back, decided to go through a big hole, and Freeman was there waiting for him, and just nailed him. It was a big hit. He had a total of 4 tackles on the day and was very impressive, perhaps the most impressive of all the defensive players. That game alone and his stellar training camp could vault him onto the roster and as a backup. Now, with Angerer injured, he's the starter. He must stand his ground and prove that he's here to stay. Based on his play during training camp and last week, he'll be fine.

Chances of Making the Roster: 80%

DJ Johnson -- Cornerback

This has surprised me the most. WIth the cornerback spot being very thin, I expected a couple of no-names to rise up, but I did not expect one of those guys to be DJ Johnson. Well, I was wrong. Not only was his tackling great against the Rams, but his coverage skills were even better. They almost never threw his way. This performance was a bit surprising because he never did anything that impressive during training camp and was never special in the past. That one performance will not put him on the roster, but right now he's listed as a backup and was listed there last week. Those depth charts are bound to change, but it's a good sign if he's at the top. I rather be at the top, then the bottom. This next performance against the Steelers will really show us if he's here to stay or go.

Chances of Making the Roster: 55%

Chigbo Anunoby -- Nose/Defensive Tackle

He's a bit of a sleeper pick. On many other teams, he probably wouldn't crack the final 53, but the Colts aren't like every other team, clearly. The Colts don't exactly have the greatest nose tackle unit. The reason I think he has a good chance of making the roster is because of the people at the nose tackle spot. Josh Chapman is currently injured and no one really knows when he'll be back. He may not see the field that much this season. The Colts are more worried about his long term health, then his short term. Antonio Johnson and Brandon McKinney are currently the only two guys at the spot, if you don't count Anunoby. Johnson has never played the spot before and is doing a mediocre job at it. McKinney has always been a backup and hasn't shown that he can be a 3 down lineman. It's only good to have 2 people at the NT spot if the starter is very good and reliable when it comes to injuries. Look at the Ravens last year, or the current Packers, they have one great starter with one backup. Now, the Colts only have two guys in Johnson and McKinney and none of them are great. It's good to keep a guy like Chigbo around for depth. Now, he's been playing surprisingly well thus far. He caught some of the coaches eyes in practice and had a nice Rams game, although it was against backups/reserves. He could be worth keeping.

Chances of Making the Roster: 50%

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Freeman have a very good chance of making the team he shown so promise in 1st preseason gm. I will like to see more of Cameron Chism #39 at conerback some in this next gm against Pittsburg.Also Antonio Fenelus at CB as well hopefully both get some time to show what they can do. I thought Jermale Hines (FS) may have earned himself a spot on the team already he looked solid saw his name a lot in that game made some good takles as well.

Steven Baker has a good shot also. This is really a testiment to the genius of Ryan Grigson. This team had been devestated because of having high priced injury prone players and missed opportunity on recent draft picks. Ryan has done a masterful job in bringing in enough tallent to make this a viable team this year.

If we are playing a hybrid, we dont need 3 NTs. Drake Nevis can easily play a pass down NT in a 4-3 front. If we play 4-3 formations enough times (which I think we will based on how the Ravens played it for 58% of their snaps last year), I dont think we will need 3 NTs FOR THE 3-4, unless we have an injury to Mookie, McKinney or Nevis. If we place Chapman on IR or something or on the PUP list, we may put Anunoby on the roster. I love Chigbo but I just think we would need more LBs and DBs for the ST front. DLs can only do so much w.r.t ST and that is why having 3 NTs may be detrimental.

DLs as I see it:

McKinney (3-4 NT), Mookie (3-4 NT backup and 4-3 NT primary), Nevis (4-3 NT backup, 4-3 primary UT and 3-4 DE backup), Moala (3-4 DE), Redding (3-4 DE), Ricardo Mathews (3-4 DE backup)

PUP: Josh Chapman (3-4 NT)

LB/DE: Freeney (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB), Mathis (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB)

LBs: Angerer, Conner, Freeman, Hughes, Fokou, Fugger, Lumpkin

6 pure DLs, 2 hybrid OLB/DL, 7 more LBs

That is why I see Chigbo Anunoby getting to the PS unless Rico Mathews stinks it up and they prefer just a rotation of Moala, Redding and Nevis at DE.

Also, the other guy that may make the roster is Zane Taylor who may supplant A.Q.Shipley as backup center, IMO. He played real well though vs 3rd stringers. I hope he gets a shot vs 2nd stringers of the Steelers so that he can show us what he can do.

Steven Baker has a good shot also. This is really a testiment to the genius of Ryan Grigson. This team had been devestated because of having high priced injury prone players and missed opportunity on recent draft picks. Ryan has done a masterful job in bringing in enough tallent to make this a viable team this year.

Could happen but he was mainly a backup in college, yes I know it was college and this is the pros but he didnt get a ton of playing time in college not sure if thats telling or not but is worth bringing up, he started 9 games in college, with that said he should be able to get downfield the dude was a track and field star in high school, that to me says agile and agile to me says Tackle which he has experience at and did well at from what this says http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baker_steven00.html Does that mean it translates to the NFL? Certainly not but its worth noting he did well at Tackle

If we are playing a hybrid, we dont need 3 NTs. Drake Nevis can easily play a pass down NT in a 4-3 front. If we play 4-3 formations enough times (which I think we will based on how the Ravens played it for 58% of their snaps last year), I dont think we will need 3 NTs FOR THE 3-4, unless we have an injury to Mookie, McKinney or Nevis. If we place Chapman on IR or something or on the PUP list, we may put Anunoby on the roster. I love Chigbo but I just think we would need more LBs and DBs for the ST front. DLs can only do so much w.r.t ST and that is why having 3 NTs may be detrimental.

DLs as I see it:

McKinney (3-4 NT), Mookie (3-4 NT backup and 4-3 NT primary), Nevis (4-3 NT backup, 4-3 primary UT and 3-4 DE backup), Moala (3-4 DE), Redding (3-4 DE), Ricardo Mathews (3-4 DE backup)

PUP: Josh Chapman (3-4 NT)

LB/DE: Freeney (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB), Mathis (4-3 DE, 3-4 OLB)

LBs: Angerer, Conner, Freeman, Hughes, Fokou, Fugger, Lumpkin

6 pure DLs, 2 hybrid OLB/DL, 7 more LBs

That is why I see Chigbo Anunoby getting to the PS unless Rico Mathews stinks it up and they prefer just a rotation of Moala, Redding and Nevis at DE.

Also, the other guy that may make the roster is Zane Taylor who may supplant A.Q.Shipley as backup center, IMO. He played real well though vs 3rd stringers. I hope he gets a shot vs 2nd stringers of the Steelers so that he can show us what he can do.

I'd like to see Chigbo get a look at 3-4 DE as well. Might be a stretch, just curious and am intrigued by the body type and raw athletic ability. In reality, I'd guess it is in Chigbo's best interest to go to the P squad. Once the clock starts on the active roster you reduce the opportunities for teams to sign you to the P Squad in the future and you certainly don't want to be a developmental prospect that isn't good enough to make an active roster who has used up all P squad eligibility.

Could happen but he was mainly a backup in college, yes I know it was college and this is the pros but he didnt get a ton of playing time in college not sure if thats telling or not but is worth bringing up, he started 9 games in college, with that said he should be able to get downfield the dude was a track and field star in high school, that to me says agile and agile to me says Tackle which he has experience at and did well at from what this says http://www.ecupirate...r_steven00.html Does that mean it translates to the NFL? Certainly not but its worth noting he did well at Tackle

Grigson saw enough in Baker to make him one of the highest paid UDFAs. There is no guaantee that we can stash our best UDFAs on the practice squad. If these guys look good in preseason chances are someone will pick them up when we cut them. People who have shown well in camp are Sambrano, Whalen, Baker, Anunoby, Adams, Cosby, and Ross. Freeman and Shirley also look good and could get into the rotation for minutes.

Grigson saw enough in Baker to make him one of the highest paid UDFAs. There is no guaantee that we can stash our best UDFAs on the practice squad. If these guys look good in preseason chances are someone will pick them up when we cut them. People who have shown well in camp are Sambrano, Whalen, Baker, Anunoby, Adams, Cosby, and Ross. Freeman and Shirley also look good and could get into the rotation for minutes.

True about being one of the highest sign-on bonus UDFAs, but they won't worry about someone else signing him if they cut him - they'll take the risk on signing him to the Psquad if he can't help today. When you look at the league wide waiver wire flood coming on Sept. 2, including vets that can play now, the chance that someone else would sign him to their active roster is so remote that it will never enter their minds.

True about being one of the highest sign-on bonus UDFAs, but they won't worry about someone else signing him if they cut him - they'll take the risk on signing him to the Psquad if he can't help today. When you look at the league wide waiver wire flood coming on Sept. 2, including vets that can play now, the chance that someone else would sign him to their active roster is so remote that it will never enter their minds.

Regulating him to the practice squad doesn't save him from being picked up by another team. You see stories all the time that say something along the lines of "so and so was picked up off the Jets practice squad."

Ok i don't know if this question has for sure been answered or not but do PUPs count against the final 53 man roster? If not then yes Anunoby will make it and then get cut six weeks in when Chapman returns. If they do count against the roster Anunoby won't make it.

PUP has some crazy nuances to follow, but no, Chapman won't count against the active roster on PUP. A day ago, I was sure Chigbo would make it, but now I am leaning toward the thinking that they will want to keep all the developmental guys that are rich with potential but too raw to play now on the Psquad and not start the clock on active duty.

Ok i don't know if this question has for sure been answered or not but do PUPs count against the final 53 man roster? If not then yes Anunoby will make it and then get cut six weeks in when Chapman returns. If they do count against the roster Anunoby won't make it.

I dont think PUP counts against the roster. But then, we take away the chance for Chigbo to be able to make the roster for some other team by putting him in the roster and then cutting him after 6 weeks. That is not fair to him. The only advantage gained is the Colts do not lose him for 6 weeks. After he clears waivers (now or 6 weeks later), he is still free to sign with any team's PS. If we do that to him (keep him on roster for 6 weeks and then cut him), he is less inclined to sign on our PS.

We are better off putting him on the PS now, he is more likely to sign back with our PS after clearing waivers now than if we kill his confidence 6 weeks later. I dont think we have any rights to sign him after he clears waivers. He still has the choice to sign with someone else's PS. The waiver wire signing is for someone who you want on your active roster, if I am not mistaken.

PUP has some crazy nuances to follow, but no, Chapman won't count against the active roster on PUP. A day ago, I was sure Chigbo would make it, but now I am leaning toward the thinking that they will want to keep all the developmental guys that are rich with potential but too raw to play now on the Psquad and not start the clock on active duty.

I agree as well.

I dont think PUP counts against the roster. But then, we take away the chance for Chigbo to be able to make the roster for some other team by putting him in the roster and then cutting him after 6 weeks. That is not fair to him. The only advantage gained is the Colts do not lose him now. After he clears waivers, he is still free to sign with any team's PS. If we do that to him (keep him on roster for 6 weeks and then cut him), he is less inclined to sign on our PS.

We are better off putting him on the PS now, he is more likely to sign back with us after clearing waivers. I dont think we have any rights to sign him after he clears waivers. He still has the choice to sign with someone else's PS.

While i agree that its not fair to do that to him, this is a business and its probably the best business decision for the Colts. They need some depth at DT/NT and they will Anunoby until Chapman can return. Which right now no one is sure whether he will play at all this season so who knows anunoby could make the final squad and then play valuable snaps all season if Chapman doesn't play.

Regulating him to the practice squad doesn't save him from being picked up by another team. You see stories all the time that say something along the lines of "so and so was picked up off the Jets practice squad."

Of course, but the same logic applies. If you sign a player from the Pquad, he stays on the active roster for 3 weeks minimum (or at least that was the way it used to be). That is a heckuva deterrent, so it isn't done casually.

I don't know. Depends on whether we're going to use a four down set in short yardage situations or not. You still need a nose tackle in a four down set, and there's nothing wrong with using two at the same time. Nevis is not a nose, he's a three-tech. If we're using him in our four down sets, we still need a true nose on the field with him.

I think we would be fine with only two nose tackles, but it wouldn't be detrimental to have a third. If Chapman were healthy, I would expect us to carry three, including him, AJ and McKinney. Add in four tackle/end guys (Nevis, Mathews, Moala, Redding), plus four end/OLB hybrids (Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Addison/Fugger), and the line is set. Four or five more Mike/Will ILB (Angerer, Conner, Freeman, Fokou, Lumpkin/Harvey/Lloyd), and your defensive front is set. Nine defensive backs, and your carrying 25 defensive players. There's still room for one or two more, as a matter of fact.

While i agree that its not fair to do that to him, this is a business and its probably the best business decision for the Colts. They need some depth at DT/NT and they will Anunoby until Chapman can return. Which right now no one is sure whether he will play at all this season so who knows anunoby could make the final squad and then play valuable snaps all season if Chapman doesn't play.

Then cut Chapman, put him on IR, and keep Anunoby on the active roster.

Chapman has shown nothing. Anunoby at least will show us something on the field. The best ability in the NFL is not potential from college, it is availability. That is what businesses like NFL teams operate on. You take emotion out of the equation, Chapman's perceived potential and impact out of the equation, and if Chapman cannot play due to physical reasons, put him on IR and move on with it. No different than Ijalana, IMO.

A team has to sign Anunoby to the active roster for at least 3 weeks if they claim him off waivers. Unless they are certain he is going to help them right away, there is a good chance a developmental prospect like Anunoby clears waivers, IMO.

It is probably even better business to sign him to the Psquad with an understanding that he'll be first up if McKinney or Mookie goes down. You get the best of both worlds.

Chapman has shown nothing. Anunoby at least will show us something on the field. The best ability in the NFL is not potential from college, it is availability. That is what businesses like NFL teams operate on.

Chapman hasn't shown anything because he hasn't been cleared to play after his knee surgery. They aren't just going to cut one of their draft picks to make way for some no name that only Colts fans are even semi familiar with. If you recall everyone was saying how Chapman was a steal when we got him in the fifth round and if he can get healthy he is our nose tackle of the future. It makes absolutely no sense to cut him and risk another team picking him up because of his potential. Lets be honest here Anunoby played well against fourth stringers and i highly doubt that would translate well to him playing well against first stringers. Chapman is going to be a beast when he comes back healthy keep him on the PUP list till the sixth week, bring Chapman back in and let him do his job and cut Anunoby. Sounds harsh but thats how this game works.

Chapman has shown nothing. Anunoby at least will show us something on the field. The best ability in the NFL is not potential from college, it is availability. That is what businesses like NFL teams operate on. You take emotion out of the equation, Chapman's perceived potential and impact out of the equation, and if Chapman cannot play due to physical reasons, put him on IR and move on with it. No different than Ijalana, IMO.

A team has to sign Anunoby to the active roster for at least 3 weeks if they claim him off waivers. Unless they are certain he is going to help them right away, there is a good chance a developmental prospect like Anunoby clears waivers, IMO.

I think you misspoke...there is no way they'll cut him, and I know you didn't mean it. The IR part has some likelihood. The waive/IR thing we've been seeing is a camp thing so that you can keep your full 90.

I think you misspoke...there is no way they'll cut him, and I know you didn't mean it. The IR part has some likelihood. The waive/IR thing we've been seeing is a camp thing so that you can keep your full 90.

Yup. You can put him straight on IR after final cuts.

Chapman hasn't shown anything because he hasn't been cleared to play after his knee surgery. They aren't just going to cut one of their draft picks to make way for some no name that only Colts fans are even semi familiar with. If you recall everyone was saying how Chapman was a steal when we got him in the fifth round and if he can get healthy he is our nose tackle of the future. It makes absolutely no sense to cut him and risk another team picking him up because of his potential. Lets be honest here Anunoby played well against fourth stringers and i highly doubt that would translate well to him playing well against first stringers. Chapman is going to be a beast when he comes back healthy keep him on the PUP list till the sixth week, bring Chapman back in and let him do his job and cut Anunoby. Sounds harsh but thats how this game works.

How do you know that Chapman is going to be a beast? Again, it is all based on perceived potential that has not been seen on the field for a single NFL down whatsoever.

That is fine if we Colts fans want to keep our Chapman hopes alive :). But then cut Anunoby and let him develop on the PS. Wait till 6 weeks with Chapman on the PUP list. If Chapman is still not healthy, IR him, and activate Anunoby to the roster. That is a better option than keeping Anunoby on the roster if we are not going to be using him heavily, and then cutting him 6 weeks later, should Chapman be healthy and us assuming he will be top notch right away (highly unlikely), which was the option you suggested.

I'd rather Chigbo be upgraded from PS than downgraded by being cut after 6 weeks if we do not have a use for him right away.

How do you know that Chapman is going to be a beast? Again, it is all based on perceived potential that has not been seen on the field for a single NFL down whatsoever.

That is fine if we Colts fans want to keep our Chapman hopes alive :). But then cut Anunoby and let him develop on the PS. Wait till 6 weeks with Chapman on the PUP list. If Chapman is still not healthy, IR him, and activate Anunoby to the roster. That is a better option than keeping Anunoby on the roster if we are not going to be using him heavily, and then cutting him 6 weeks later, should Chapman be healthy and us assuming he will be top notch right away, which was the option you suggested.

I'd rather Chigbo be upgraded from PS than downgraded by being cut after 6 weeks if we do not have a use for him right away.

Kind of makes you appreciate the intricate layers of being a GM, no? There is way more beneath the surface of roster decisions than we understand in the moment.

Chigbo Anunoby played great last Sunday. I like him to make the team. All of the above will likely make the team.

I'd like to see how Chigbo plays against 1's and 2's .....He's large and strong and he has more a motor now than he did in college...he has stepped up to the competition IMHO and he needs to get a look vs a stellar O Line in Pittsburgh