Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney and Mathis update

oldunclemark

for those of us who dont get the Indy Star every day...

So just how are Freeney, Mathis doing at OLB?

12:10 PM, Aug. 08, 2012 | Written by Phillip B. Wilson |

FREEclose-280x221.jpg

Colts’ all-time sack leader Dwight Freeney, who is converting to outside linebacker in his 11th season, has 102 1/2 career sacks.

(Robert Scheer / The Star)

It’s one of the many questions that eventually gets asked every time a Colts defensive coach or player is interviewed during training camp at Anderson University:

How are Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis adjusting to playing outside linebacker in a 3-4?

The realistic answer, for now, is stay tuned. Call it a work in progress.

Skeptics will argue you can’t teach old dogs new tricks. But I’m inclined to agree with Colts inside linebacker Pat Angerer, who discussed the transition matter-of-factly when asked Tuesday morning.

“Those guys are doing good,” he said, repeating what everyone says. “They’ll do good anywhere. You put them on the field and those guys are unbelievable.”

The fear is that Freeney and Mathis will have trouble in pass coverage. I’m not concerned about Mathis. He’s fast and has shown excellent anticipation in camp drills. I teased him about his spin move after intercepting a pass intended for Coby Fleener in one drill.

Freeney, we will see, but it’s fair to surmise the Colts’ all-time leading sack man will be rushing the passer more than covering pass targets. It just makes sense. Mathis, too.

MATHISsitscamp-280x172.jpg

Colts outside linebacker Robert Mathis has 83 1/2 sacks in nine seasons. (Robert Scheer / The Star)

Freeney had 102 1/2 sacks in a decade. Mathis enters his 10th year with 83 1/2.

Last season, the Colts’ defense allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete a record 71.2 percent of their passes. That wasn’t just the highest percentage in the league for 2011. It was the highest in league history.

So it stands to reason the Colts, in shifting to a 3-4 defense, will need to pressure QBs to throw quickly. They will blitz a lot to force quick decisions. Sure, it’s a guessing game in dropping these guys back at times, but opponents are going to be expecting those edge rushers to do what they do best.

“It feels good,” Mathis said Tuesday. “I wouldn’t say comfortable right now because it’s a whole different world. It feels pretty good because I’m learning what I’m doing now.”

That’s just it. These guys will need game experience to figure it out. There’s only so much they can pick up in practice. It takes time. There are going to be mistakes, and they are smart guys, they will learn from them.

That’s why Angerer, in saying what another former NFL player mentioned to me Tuesday, is spot on. The Colts still have two of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Talent makes a difference. And teams will have to prepare for them.

That should open up pass-rush opportunities for others. I mentioned to Angerer this was the year to boost his sack total. He’s game. He has one in each of his first two seasons. Remember how the Colts dropped this guy back 20 yards in that vanilla scheme last year? Forget that. The Colts will be aggressive, take the good with the bad, but sitting back and letting the opponent dictate is a thing of the past.

“Physical, fast and exciting,” Mathis said. “I say most of all, exciting. Exciting is the word I’m looking for.”

He mentioned how this is a new Colts era in repeating the popular team catch phrase.

“Build the monster,” Mathis said. “That’s what we’re going to do. So let’s go.”

I'm mad how they called Freeney & Mathis "Old Dogs". So Rude lol. Idc how "Old" they are, they're still the Best DE Duo in the NFL right now. And Mathis' & Freeney's Sack Count will Rise more now that there's help. You can call them Old, but they STILL Give QB's Nightmares before they Play them.... and while they play them. And another thing about Old, here's Ray Lewis' Perspective on being "Old"

Did you guys know this??? We should have gone 0-16.

"Last season, the Colts’ defense allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete a record 71.2 percent of their passes. That wasn’t just the highest percentage in the league for 2011. It was the highest in league history."

All thanks to crappy coaching, making the DB'S play 5 yards off the WR'S every play. :clap:. Glad those days are over :clap:

"Last season, the Colts’ defense allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete a record 71.2 percent of their passes. That wasn’t just the highest percentage in the league for 2011. It was the highest in league history."

I did. I believe that's lower than it was before we won a couple of games. We gave up 68.1% completions in the final three games of the season, in which we won two out of three. That still would have been second worst in the league last year (the Vikings gave up 68.2% all year).

So, yeah, the defense did nothing to stop quarterbacks all last season. I don't fault the players, I fault the scheme. Even the best secondary can't stop short pass completions when they're 7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I did. I believe that's lower than it was before we won a couple of games. We gave up 68.1% completions in the final three games of the season, in which we won two out of three. That still would have been second worst in the league last year (the Vikings gave up 68.2% all year).

So, yeah, the defense did nothing to stop quarterbacks all last season. I don't fault the players, I fault the scheme. Even the best secondary can't stop short pass completions when they're 7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Right. May have been because of lack of talent in the secondary due to injuries. But to play as if you're up by 21 when you're behind is plain stupid.

It's a surprising stat, but when the DB gives a 6 yard cushion and the LBs drop back into coverage, leaving the middle of the field open, I see how we got there.

I just had flashbacks to Super Bowl 44.

The TD that Shockey Scored on Lacey? You know, I'm kind of Glad we got Rid of him. Even though we did play Cushion, he was the only one who couldn't seem to make plays. Yeah he had a Pick here or there. But majority of the time he was the one giving up the Big plays. And when Powers got injured, our CB's just fell apart

You can't play tight coverage with sub-par players. It was a lose/lose situation. In 2007 Colts had an excellent pass defense with basically the same scheme. That was the last year the Colts had all four of these players healthy and playing: Jackson, Hayden, Sanders and Bethea.

The TD that Shockey Scored on Lacey? You know, I'm kind of Glad we got Rid of him. Even though we did play Cushion, he was the only one who couldn't seem to make plays. Yeah he had a Pick here or there. But majority of the time he was the one giving up the Big plays. And when Powers got injured, our CB's just fell apart

The entire game. I remember our defense giving 6 yard cushions on 3rd and shorts and Brees doing 3 step drops, completing short passes to Colston for first downs, eating up the clock, while marching the ball up field.

The entire game. I remember our defense giving 6 yard cushions on 3rd and shorts and Brees doing 3 step drops, completing short passes to Colston for first downs, eating up the clock, while marching the ball up field.

Idk what happened in that Game. We changed in that Game. Offense usually isn't a "Quick Strike" Offense. Peyton usually likes to take time-consuming drives that wears the Defense down. We put up those 10 Points fairly quickly. Idk if the Saints defense was just that Bad, or if our Offense really came to play that day

You can't play tight coverage with sub-par players. It was a lose/lose situation. In 2007 Colts had an excellent pass defense with basically the same scheme. That was the last year the Colts had all four of these players healthy and playing: Jackson, Hayden, Sanders and Bethea.

Cortland Finnegan plays Tight Coverage when we play the Titans. Always leads to him getting Burnt, but you get the Point. You can play Tight Coverage, may not be Successful...put if you stick with it they have to learn Eventually. Practice makes you Better. You can't just say you're not gonna do something. You have to want to better yourself. EVERY CB in the NFL has to play Press Coverage at some point in their Career. Some more than Others though

Cortland Finnegan plays Tight Coverage when we play the Titans. Always leads to him getting Burnt, but you get the Point. You can play Tight Coverage, may not be Successful...put if you stick with it they have to learn Eventually. Practice makes you Better. You can't just say you're not gonna do something. You have to want to better yourself. EVERY CB in the NFL has to play Press Coverage at some point in their Career. Some more than Others though

..........i'm not saying don't try. I think the coaches knew what they had last year. Play soft=give up first downs. Play tight=give up touch downs. You've got to have a certain level of talent to succeed at any position in the NFL. It matters little what the scheme is if the talent isn't there. Practice all you want, it won't happen.

You don't have to play bump and run. But an 8 yad cushion on third and short = first down. And when it happens over and over and over again, to the tune of 71% completions and over 50% on 3rd down, maybe you do something a little different from time to time. Obviously we didn't have a great secondary, but we didn't even give them a chance to be successful.

We've had 5, 6, 7 & 8 yard cushions in this thread already. Perhaps we should just refer to it as a 'big cushion', rather than pin exact yards on it. Like a bean bag. We've had 9 & 10 and 15 yards in other threads. It's turning into an urban myth.....hopefully we are all talking about 2-3 yard cushions from today onwards. You know, like small scatter cushions.

We've had 5, 6, 7 & 8 yard cushions in this thread already. Perhaps we should just refer to it as a 'big cushion', rather than pin exact yards on it. Like a bean bag. We've had 9 & 10 and 15 yards in other threads. It's turning into an urban myth.....hopefully we are all talking about 2-3 yard cushions from today onwards. You know, like small scatter cushions.

128780800278106700.jpg

In all seriousness, these ridiculous cushions were real, including in short yardage.

And there's a place for cushions in a pass defense. Situationally, playing 8 yards off can make sense. But we showed how little sense it makes as an every down strategy ever since the Super Bowl.

128780800278106700.jpg

In all seriousness, these ridiculous cushions were real, including in short yardage.

And there's a place for cushions in a pass defense. Situationally, playing 8 yards off can make sense. But we showed how little sense it makes as an every down strategy ever since the Super Bowl.

The cushions we would give some people was maddening. Wasn't there a few games last year where we had people giving 12-15 yard cushions? I swear I remember that in at least 1 game. It was ridiculous.

Well.....our secondary was mythologically bad. They will write songs about it one day.

I definitely chalk it up to scheme. We may not have been fielding a backfield of All-Pros, but there's no way you can convince me our DB's were that untalented so as to be the worst in history.

If you give a 7 yard cushion every time and play 3rd and short like it's a prevent defense, of course the other guys' completion % will be through the roof. We never even gave our DB's a chance to see if they could handle playing more aggressively. With the old scheme, Marshall probably catches 30 balls on us week 1.

Didn't know that ^^^^^^

TRULY DA

I definitely chalk it up to scheme. We may not have been fielding a backfield of All-Pros, but there's no way you can convince me our DB's were that untalented so as to be the worst in history.

If you give a 7 yard cushion every time and play 3rd and short like it's a prevent defense, of course the other guys' completion % will be through the roof. We never even gave our DB's a chance to see if they could handle playing more aggressively. With the old scheme, Marshall probably catches 30 balls on us week 1.

It's not rocket science.... but Bill must think it is...

128780800278106700.jpg

yep

I new what the percentage was but I did not know that we gave up the highest completion percentage in the history of football, yeah moving on now I dont have alot of words to convey how utterly baffled I am on that, I new it was obscenely high but.....in the famous word of former WWE Wrestler Ron Simmons...... darn!!!

You don't have to play bump and run. But an 8 yad cushion on third and short = first down. And when it happens over and over and over again, to the tune of 71% completions and over 50% on 3rd down, maybe you do something a little different from time to time. Obviously we didn't have a great secondary, but we didn't even give them a chance to be successful.

.............I'm not talking bump anything, I just mean being closer to the receiver when the ball snaps. There is only one logical reason why any NFL coach would keep the DBs back further that what may look to some as neccessary: He's afraid the receiver will blow by the DB for a long gain or a TD. And third and short is just the time to do it. Years ago when the Colts played man coverage with Jeff Burris and Tyrone Poole, Colts fans grew pretty sick pretty fast of seeing them both getting burned consistantly game after game. I disagree with a popular notion on this board that changing the scheme will make things better. IMO the secondary will improve when the talent level improves.

.............I'm not talking bump anything, I just mean being closer to the receiver when the ball snaps. There is only one logical reason why any NFL coach would keep the DBs back further that what may look to some as neccessary: He's afraid the receiver will blow by the DB for a long gain or a TD. And third and short is just the time to do it. Years ago when the Colts played man coverage with Jeff Burris and Tyrone Poole, Colts fans grew pretty sick pretty fast of seeing them both getting burned consistantly game after game. I disagree with a popular notion on this board that changing the scheme will make things better. IMO the secondary will improve when the talent level improves.

Again, I'm not talking about man coverage. I'm not talking about bumping. I'm simply saying that giving a large cushion on 3rd and short leads to easy completions, it washes it out your pass rush, and you wind up with the 3rd down stats our defense had last season. There are some situations where there's nothing wrong with a large cushion on 3rd and short, but I don't see a reasonable defense for a strategy that fails so miserably.