Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Horrible : Titans player commits suicide

StewieG

TAMPA, Fla. (CBS Tampa) – Tennessee Titans wide receiver O.J. Murdock has died from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Murdock, 25, was found in his car outside his Tampa high school Monday morning in critical condition, according to Tampa police.

“At approximately 8:30 a.m., officers discovered the victim’s body in his car in front of Middleton High School with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound,” the police said in a release. “He was transported to Tampa General Hospital in critical condition where he died at 10:43 a.m.”

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/07/30/police-titans-murdock-found-dead-from-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound/

To any titan fans here, sorry to hear about this. Has to be hard on the team as well.

That's really unfortunate. It hasn't been a good offseason for the NFL. One of the comments on NFL.com's version of the story was that the commenter didn't feel sorry for Murdock because suicide is a "selfish act". I thought it was an incredibly ignorant statement. That might be true in some cases, but we don't know what this guy's situation was, so we can't judge. RIP

That's really unfortunate. It hasn't been a good offseason for the NFL. One of the comments on NFL.com's version of the story was that the commenter didn't feel sorry for Murdock because suicide is a "selfish act". I thought it was an incredibly ignorant statement. That might be true in some cases, but we don't know what this guy's situation was, so we can't judge. RIP

Some of the comments in the link i posted are pretty messed up too. So it doesn't surprise me. People can be heartless.

Praying for his family and friends.

ignorant x 10. suicide is usually a last resort

People can be heartless.

Especially anonymous people on the Internet. Selfish act or not, what good does it do to talk down to somebody that is dead? All you can possibly accomplish by doing so is to hurt those that cared about the person.....which are the same people that were hurt by the "selfish act" that you are chastising the person for to begin with. Come on, anonymous Internet people. Think!

Murdock did not report to training camp over the weekend because of what the team said at the time was a personal issue.

Ugly stuff. Maybe a relationship that had him so upset? Dude had 40-50 years of life ahead of him and he made a permanent decision over a temporary problem. I wish young people could get it through their heads how quickly these "life-shattering" issues become forgotten.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, July 31, 2012 - inappropriate/cruel
Hidden by Nadine, July 31, 2012 - inappropriate/cruel

ignorant x 10. suicide is usually a last resort

I understand we don't know & won't know the circumstances but suicide should never never be any kind of resort. Of course my condolences to his family. I had a cousin & cousin-in-law commit suicide & from my beliefs they won't be RIP. they may sound harsh but this is one thing you CAN NOT sugar cote.

TAMPA, Fla. (CBS Tampa) – Tennessee Titans wide receiver O.J. Murdock has died from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Murdock, 25, was found in his car outside his Tampa high school Monday morning in critical condition, according to Tampa police.

“At approximately 8:30 a.m., officers discovered the victim’s body in his car in front of Middleton High School with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound,” the police said in a release. “He was transported to Tampa General Hospital in critical condition where he died at 10:43 a.m.”

http://tampa.cbsloca...-gunshot-wound/

To any titan fans here, sorry to hear about this. Has to be hard on the team as well.

something was very wrong...that he just did not tell anyone

He went back to his old high school to do this....? This story hasnt been told

...depression makes you think you're alone when you arent.

wish he had talkedto someone

It is comments like that is why mental illness in this country has such a huge stigma. So many people go undiagnosed because people will look down their nose. Its like people just cannot grasp the magnitude of the thought that someone can go against every basic instinct in the human body and take their own life. To be so depressed and feel the only way out and to end the pain is to just kill yourself is just unfathomable to me. Maybe instead of * like that spouting off crap like that maybe we can take mental illness a bit more serious in this country.

It is comments like that is why mental illness in this country has such a huge stigma. So many people go undiagnosed because people will look down their nose. Its like people just cannot grasp the magnitude of the thought that someone can go against every basic instinct in the human body and take their own life. To be so depressed and feel the only way out and to end the pain is to just kill yourself is just unfathomable to me. Maybe instead of * like that spouting off crap like that maybe we can take mental illness a bit more serious in this country.

I couldn't agree more. It was such an ignorant statement.

I couldn't agree more. It was such an ignorant statement.

It just really tickes me off ignorant this country is when it comes to mental illness.

When you stop and think about every basic instinct we have is to survive. The fight or flight response is our instincts kicking in to help us survive whatever situation we are faced with. Yet, here is someone who goes against the basic instinct of survival and takes their own life.

I think what leads to a lot of this ignorance is fear of the unknown. People fear what they do not understand. It is easy to understand a broken bone or torn muscle. It is hard to put your mind around schizophrenia, manic depressive, split personality, or bipoloar disorder. To me my cousin suffers from bipolar disorder and is completely untreated because his family scoffs at the idea of psychology and chalks it up to my cousin just being my cousin. Here is a guy who can go from a happy go lucky to an horribly angry person in like a split second or go from angry to pathetically sad.

I remember one day he was talking to my ex wife about some issues he and I were having and the guy went from normal, to intensely angry, to sobbingly sad. Since that day I have tried to get him help, but he never does and then the rest of the family refuses to see what a few of us in the family sees.

It just really tickes me off ignorant this country is when it comes to mental illness.

When you stop and think about every basic instinct we have is to survive. The fight or flight response is our instincts kicking in to help us survive whatever situation we are faced with. Yet, here is someone who goes against the basic instinct of survival and takes their own life.

I think what leads to a lot of this ignorance is fear of the unknown. People fear what they do not understand. It is easy to understand a broken bone or torn muscle. It is hard to put your mind around schizophrenia, manic depressive, split personality, or bipoloar disorder. To me my cousin suffers from bipolar disorder and is completely untreated because his family scoffs at the idea of psychology and chalks it up to my cousin just being my cousin. Here is a guy who can go from a happy go lucky to an horribly angry person in like a split second or go from angry to pathetically sad.

I remember one day he was talking to my ex wife about some issues he and I were having and the guy went from normal, to intensely angry, to sobbingly sad. Since that day I have tried to get him help, but he never does and then the rest of the family refuses to see what a few of us in the family sees.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm sure it's an incredibly difficult situation. Here's hoping the situation improves. But I agree with you, I think the fear is because of the unknown. We can easily see a broken bone or someone who has a tumor or pneumonia, but it's much harder to see things like bipolar disorder or any other mental illness.

I agree 100% Thewholefnshow28. Suicide and depression is a mental illness not a selfish act. People who classify it as a selfish act are severely misguided and misinformed. It just infuriates me when the first thing people say is "How selfish. What a coward. Think about your mother and family." This person is in a lot of pain and they feel hopeless and at their wits end. Medication and their sideeffects to alleviate depression and bipolar disorder can be their own private Hades as well. A suicide is not a cry to be the center of attention. It is a cry to make all the pain stop and go away permanently.

Good luck getting your cousin the genuine help they need. I sincerely mean that Thewholefnshow28.

Suicide will touch most of us at some time in our lives. There simply is not much one can say because the person become so isolated from everything and everyone that death becomes a solution. Hopefully life will treat all of us kindly but we know it is not there for everyone. It is cruel and selfish to the loved ones but again by it's own extremity it defies explanation that males sense. Depression is truely a monster.

It's sad he did this. My prayers go out to his family. I had a cousin & cousin in law that both committed suicide. True we don't know what he was going through but it's still very selfish of someone to do. They might think of their family before committing this act which there is NO reason bad enough to commit such a terrible act. Not only is it selfish but you are putting yourself above God when doing this. IMO according to the bible you won't be RIP when committing this act.

I agree 100% Thewholefnshow28. Suicide and depression is a mental illness not a selfish act. People who classify it as a selfish act are severely misguided and misinformed. It just infuriates me when the first thing people say is "How selfish. What a coward. Think about your mother and family." This person is in a lot of pain and they feel hopeless and at their wits end. Medication and their sideeffects to alleviate depression and bipolar disorder can be their own private Hades as well. A suicide is not a cry to be the center of attention. It is a cry to make all the pain stop and go away permanently.

Good luck getting your cousin the genuine help they need. I sincerely mean that Thewholefnshow28.

everyone who is on meds has the right to kill themselves. That's crazy! I've got an aunt who's been taking meds for about 35+ years. Sure from time to time she may think about it but she knows God is in control & will help her through it. Her son my cousin had the same thing & said he didn't want to love his life taking meds so he started the car. & closed the garage door. Yes he was selfish & IMO he's burning in heck as we speak. Now if someone was in the last stages of Alzheimer's & committed suicide then that's between them & God. But even people who take meds for depression can be in their right mind just as my aunt is