Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's biggest challenge: the media

oldunclemark

On the 4th of July, many of you may have seen Michael Irvin's interview with Andrew Luck.

Disappointing. Nothing against Irvin but the question was the same.

"How do you feel replacing Peyton Manning'

Luck's answer was....'He's the greatest and I cant wake up each day thinking about how I'm replacing him'

...Good answer and I hope he gets used to thise words coming out fo his mouth

because it seems that's all he's getting asked.

Nobody outside of Indy asked Luck

1.) how he likes Indy...and his new teammates

2.) How he likes his new coach.

3.) is the offense similar to what Harbaugh installed at Standford..

4. 3 step drop, 5 step drop...7 step drop...what does he prefer?

5.) Is anaalyzing college defenses (for him) the same as breakling down pro tape?

No, the question is always..How do you feel replacing Manning?

I fear it will be. Every week. Every road trip. Every national TV game.

Do you agree and how long do you think this will go on.

On the 4th of July, many of you may have seen Michael Irvin's interview with Andrew Luck.

Luck's answer was....'He's the greatest and I cant wake up each day thinking about how I'm replacing him'

5.) Is anaalyzing college defenses (for him) the same as breakling down pro tape?

Don't worry about it. Luck will handle this with ease.

Second, the questions you suggest, while all good, it's too early for Luck to know much of anything right now because he's barely done anything with the Colts. Those questions WILL come. It will just take time. Patience.

The other aspect, and not be too disrespectful about it, but fans outside of Indy don't care about those questions just yet. They will. Right now the focus is replacing Manning, not, how does he like Indy, or the new offense, or anything else. Eventually, those questions will come from the national media. But it will take time.

Luck will have no problem answering that over and over and over. He's been doing it in most every interview he's done since January when Indy got the 1st pick.

His biggest challenge will be the speed of the NFL game and lack of experience. And both of those will get better for him with time. Honestly, no worries on your original issue. He'll be fine.

Luck can't help it. He will forever be connected to Peyton and RG3. It's unfortunate because people won't let Luck be Luck and they will compare him to Peyton and Griffin, regardless of what he does. In the eyes of some, he will never be better than Peyton. In the eyes of others, all he needs to do to be better is win 2 Super Bowls (which is no easy task, to be fair). It's impossible to objectively say who is the better QB. Simply let Luck be Luck, let Peyton be Peyton, and let RG3 be RG3.

If he sticks to that answer, they'll stop asking. But like I said time & time again, not asking him to be Peyton. Only the "Outsiders" are asking him to replace him. I just want Luck to be the same Luck that I watched at Standford, but continue to grow

Second, the questions you suggest, while all good, it's too early for Luck to know much of anything right now because he's barely done anything with the Colts. Those questions WILL come. It will just take time. Patience.

The other aspect, and not be too disrespectful about it, but fans outside of Indy don't care about those questions just yet. They will. Right now the focus is replacing Manning, not, how does he like Indy, or the new offense, or anything else. Eventually, those questions will come from the national media. But it will take time.

Luck will have no problem answering that over and over and over. He's been doing it in most every interview he's done since January when Indy got the 1st pick.

His biggest challenge will be the speed of the NFL game and lack of experience. And both of those will get better for him with time. Honestly, no worries on your original issue. He'll be fine.

The 5 questions I gave were 5 of 50,000 that could be asked..

But you'd have to think about what question you wanted to ask and folks who do TV interviews like Irvin probably dont

spend much time thinking about asking a question that 'nobdoy else has asked'.

Luck has to walk a fine line of being responsive withoit being dismissive...So far, I think he has walked it.

I guess I'm asking.."at what point do these question cease to be fair or relevant.?'

....conisdering that Luck is actually replacing Dan Orlovsky.?

Honestly, I thought this topic was gonna say "Luck's Biggest Challenge: The Chicago Bears' Defense" <-- Guess this is just Proof of how Baldy I'm waiting for the Season. It's driving me Crazy! :wall:

I wonder if he's looking at the Bears defense already???

(Hey, there's a question somebody could ask!!!)

I wonder if he's looking at the Bears defense already???

(Hey, there's a question somebody could ask!!!)

They probably won't ask that question till the last Pre-Season Game or GameDay Morning. Their #1 Question is how he wil replace Peyton. As this Forum states lol

The 5 questions I gave were 5 of 50,000 that could be asked..

But you'd have to think about what question you wanted to ask and folks who do TV interviews like Irvin probably dont

spend much time thinking about asking a question that 'nobdoy else has asked'.

Luck has to walk a fine line of being responsive withoit being dismissive...So far, I think he has walked it.

I guess I'm asking.."at what point do these question cease to be fair or relevant.?'

....conisdering that Luck is actually replacing Dan Orlovsky.?

Mark.... all your questions are good and completely fair. It's only the timing that's an issue.

Also, remember, someone like Irvin is doing his interview for a national audience, not an Indianapolis audience.

So the question most fans are dealing with is replacing Manning (and not Orlovsky)...

By the way, just curious, but did Irvin ask any other questions, or was this the only one? Do you recall? I think Irvin is an interesting guy who has had a fascinating life, but I'm not sure he's a great interviewer... at least, not yet... again, just curious.

Mark.... all your questions are good and completely fair. It's only the timing that's an issue.

Also, remember, someone like Irvin is doing his interview for a national audience, not an Indianapolis audience.

So the question most fans are dealing with is replacing Manning (and not Orlovsky)...

By the way, just curious, but did Irvin ask any other questions, or was this the only one? Do you recall? I think Irvin is an interesting guy who has had a fascinating life, but I'm not sure he's a great interviewer... at least, not yet... again, just curious.

He asked Andrew if missing the mini-camp because he had to graduate..set him back...

Andrew said: yes, it did....but he hopes to catch up...

The interview was held at the Hall-of-Fame so he asked him who he wanted to see most..there

Andrew said that because his dad was the backup to Warren Moon...he wanted to see Warren Moon's display.

That's the only two I can recall.....and no Irvin is not Mike Wallace doing '60 Minutes'..

and, you are right, he may only relate to (or care about) the Colts in terms of Manning.....

NewColtsFan,

Naturally, like you & the vast majority of Indianapolis Colts fans out there, we all believe there will be a learning curve obviously, which Luck will perfect in short order since his dad was a backup for the Houston Oilers behind HOF player Warren Moon so Luck knows how important it is to win the trust of seasoned vets in the locker room and the only way you achieve that is through hardwork and no complaining whatsoever.

But oldunclemark brings up a good point: Seeing how Luck addresses other questions like his opinion on his OC, HC, & team mates humanizes a star athlete makes them seem more down to earth, humble, & approachable. There is always the tactical side & the human interest story side. People wanna relate to Luck as a average joe not just the savior of a football franchise alone.

Yes, Andrew Luck will be just fine. I agree 100%, but why not stop the boring conventional question about following a future NFL Hall of Fame player like Manning & ask Luck how he believes genuine chemistry is created, sustained, & preserved? When plays break down how do you rally the troops & instill confidence in the huddle? How would you balance a journalist's criticism of your game & turn it into positive motivation to rise above adversity? What do you do outside of football to decompress & recharge your batteries during a long season? How do you define leadership? Lead by quiet example or be a strong vocal presence?

These are vital components I want to know about my new field general Andrew Luck anyway.

NewColtsFan,

Naturally, like you & the vast majority of Indianapolis Colts fans out there, we all believe there will be a learning curve obviously, which Luck will perfect in short order since his dad was a backup for the Houston Oilers behind HOF player Warren Moon so Luck knows how important it is to win the trust of seasoned vets in the locker room and the only way you achieve that is through hardwork and no complaining whatsoever.

But oldunclemark brings up a good point: Seeing how Luck addresses other questions like his opinion on his OC, HC, & team mates humanizes a star athlete makes them seem more down to earth, humble, & approachable. There is always the tactical side & the human interest story side. People wanna relate to Luck as a average joe not just the savior of a football franchise alone.

Yes, Andrew Luck will be just fine. I agree 100%, but why not stop the boring conventional question about following a future NFL Hall of Fame player like Manning & ask Luck how he believes genuine chemistry is created, sustained, & preserved? When plays break down how do you rally the troops & instill confidence in the huddle? How would you balance a journalist's criticism of your game & turn it into positive motivation to rise above adversity? What do you do outside of football to decompress & recharge your batteries during a long season? How do you define leadership? Lead by quiet example or be a strong vocal presence?

These are vital components I want to know about my new field general Andrew Luck anyway.

Southwest....

I'm with you, I really am. And Old Uncle Mark too. I like all the questions and thoughts you suggest. And I suspect that those too will all come with time. I know as a Colts fan you're tired of the comparison to Manning question.... but from a broad national appeal, that's the focus for now. It will get narrowed and more detailed the closer we get to camp and pre-season and the regular season.

Don't know if this helps much, and sorry I don't have a better answer for you....

The media is the least of his worries. He will talk to them what twice a week?

His #1 or first concern is Julius Peppers coming off the corner, hoping he's blocked. Trying to find the open receiver. Checking into a good play if the offensive staff affords him that ability.

As long as he's not rude to the media, the media will not be an issue at all and I do not see that being the case.

Any issues he was is between the white lines and facing 11 NFL players on Sunday.

Personally, I would love it if outside media sources would ask Andrew more team related questions. Unfortunately, given the situation, these type of question will be put on the back burner. Lets face it, Tom Brady makes headlines whenever he gets a new hair cut, because people will read about it. With that being said, most people outside of Colts nation would rather read about the rookie replacing the legend than how Andrew is dealing with the transition of going from collage to leading our great franchise.

His #1 or first concern is Julius Peppers coming off the corner, hoping he's blocked. Trying to find the open receiver. Checking into a good play if the offensive staff affords him that ability.

As long as he's not rude to the media, the media will not be an issue at all and I do not see that being the case.

Any issues he was is between the white lines and facing 11 NFL players on Sunday.

FJC...

Andrew Luck? He'll have to talk to the media every day except the day off (Monday or Turesday) and Saturday.

Its going to be a major part of his job.

The 'Jay Cutler' approach!!!

That is some funny stuff!

I've never liked Irvin as a member of the media, he is biased towards the Cowboys and wideouts even more so than most ex players. I know that's not relevant but I'd take Faulk, Warner, Dukes and mostly the rest of the network over Irvin if given the choice. That said I would be suprised if Irvin wasn't told what to ask by the network, maybe if Irvin did just ask his own questions they would be interesting and actually matter to someone.

It's to bad for Luck but he has one way to change the focus and that is by succeeding in his own career.

I certainly hope he is already looking at the Bears defence, that's gonna be a real challenge as a first career game.

FJC...

Andrew Luck? He'll have to talk to the media every day except the day off (Monday or Turesday) and Saturday.

Its going to be a major part of his job.

No he won't. Tom Brady doesn't talk to the media every day. Either Manning doesn't, Rodgers, Brees don't. Those are the standard bearers in the league. Far bigger than Andrew Luck. So no he won't, unless he goes out of his way to talk to them which I don't see happening.

He'll talk more in training camp, but during the season he's only required to talk on Wednesday and after the game in the post game interview. Some teams limit the amount of times rookies are made available too. That is the schedule that teams use, unless they have a night game then there will be an additonal meeting or so.

If the media is a major issue/challenge for him, then Irsay has made a mistake or an even larger mistake depending on how you look at it.

No he won't. Tom Brady doesn't talk to the media every day. Either Manning doesn't, Rodgers, Brees don't. Those are the standard bearers in the league. Far bigger than Andrew Luck. So no he won't, unless he goes out of his way to talk to them which I don't see happening.

He'll talk more in training camp, but during the season he's only required to talk on Wednesday and after the game in the post game interview. Some teams limit the amount of times rookies are made available too. That is the schedule that teams use, unless they have a night game then there will be an additonal meeting or so.

If the media is a major issue/challenge for him, then Irsay has made a mistake or an even larger mistake depending on how you look at it.

I hope you're right.....I'd really want (and I think he'd probably want) to play some before he develops into an NFL personality.

I sense he's not much of a talker.....

Maybe they'll approach Reggie Wayne..as a vet and an more candid spokesman...i dont think Reggie would mind.

Not McAfee, though

It is the same question asked of any young QB replacing a Great QB, so why should Luck get a pass on this. I liked his Answer, but the real answer will be in September.

You may have missed the point. It's almost ALL he's asked.

Besides...nobody asked Cam what it was like to replace Jimmy Claussen.

Southwest....

I'm with you, I really am. And Old Uncle Mark too. I like all the questions and thoughts you suggest. And I suspect that those too will all come with time. I know as a Colts fan you're tired of the comparison to Manning question.... but from a broad national appeal, that's the focus for now. It will get narrowed and more detailed the closer we get to camp and pre-season and the regular season.

Don't know if this helps much, and sorry I don't have a better answer for you....

Yeah, I know NewColtsFan. The Manning comparisons do get more than a little tedious sometimes. You are correct. Aaron Rogers went through the same comparisons to Brett Favre too. I found it foolish when a reporter asked Aaron Rogers after he won the SB & MVP award if he had spoken to Brett Favre at all. :facepalm: Did they ask Steve Young if he had spoken to Joe Montana after his MVP of Super Bowl XXIX against the Chargers in 1994? Rightly or wrongly comparisons will always me made when following in the footsteps of a Hall of Fame player.

I wasn't upset with you NewColtsFan. In fact, you typically present intriguing & well researched topics for discussion that I often read. Perhaps, by minicamp & preseason frivolous questions will die down & diminish. Let's hope that your are right on the money NewColtsFan.

Yup FJC. Don't forget about LB Lance Briggs too. That guy's middle name is reek havoc I think. haha

Scrutiny Scrutiny. Did we not know Irvin was a journalism major? Just kidding of course. Great discussion topic UnK!!

It is the nature of the beast. Gene Bartow 'followed' John Wooden at UCLA and heard the same type of question. Mike Davis 'followed' Bob Knight at IU, Ray Perkins followed 'Bear Bryant' at Alabama. Legends are followed never replaced IMO. Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers not Brett Farve. Andrew Luck has the 'right' to be Andrew Luck. He is saying the right things. He is 'following' arguably the best QB in NFL history.

I am proud of the way he has responded, and with camp rolling in three weeks we will get more of UnkleMark's open ended-non leading questions as well as good solid direct questions as they relate to OUR Indianapolis Colts.

Let just say Andrew is "Lucky" not facing the NY press, the Philly press, and the Boston and DC press.(BRUTAL) The NFL Network and ESPN do not know what real reporting is....it is all 'Insider info....get the story with no sources" 'yellow journalism.' (Who cares if it is accurate??

I really enjoyed the comments on this on guys/gals!! Just about 3 weeks away!!! GO COLTS!

Yeah, I know NewColtsFan. The Manning comparisons do get more than a little tedious sometimes. You are correct. Aaron Rogers went through the same comparisons to Brett Favre too. I found it foolish when a reporter asked Aaron Rogers after he won the SB & MVP award if he had spoken to Brett Favre at all. :facepalm: Did they ask Steve Young if he had spoken to Joe Montana after his MVP of Super Bowl XXIX against the Chargers in 1994? Rightly or wrongly comparisons will always me made when following in the footsteps of a Hall of Fame player.

I wasn't upset with you NewColtsFan. In fact, you typically present intriguing & well researched topics for discussion that I often read. Perhaps, by minicamp & preseason frivolous questions will die down & diminish. Let's hope that your are right on the money NewColtsFan.

It looks like about 5 of us were writing at the same time....and great minds think alike....I had to add Bob Knight. HA HA!

You may have missed the point. It's almost ALL he's asked.

Besides...nobody asked Cam what it was like to replace Jimmy Claussen.

No, I did not miss the point and it is the time when nothing is happening team wise. You, I, and every other Colts fan knows that Luck was brought in to replace Peyton. The question will stop when Luck produces in the regular season, IMO.

I hope you were not implying that Claussen is a great QB.

And media's biggest challenge is Luck...

In my opinion, media will compare Luck to Manning until the end of Luck's career. This question will re-appear from time to time, especially when reporters are out of topics to write about. That wouldn't be a big problem if they do it in a sophisticated, exigent way and not by repeating the same worn question.

This will go on till Andrew's first "BIG" game... And it will happen. With the quickness.

And then it will end.... Because, ANDREW IS NOT PEYTON. and the media will see it real fast.

Luck has every Manning "good quality" and ..... lots more speed. OK.

Watch Peyton's first few NFL games and tell me he is a HOFer? Luck will transition into the league with much more "grace".