Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck's biggest challenge: the media

oldunclemark

meh, what is he supposed to ask from a national perspective? not like he can ask him about the game he just played against the texans.

If you think deeply about it....From a national perspective....he should ask what kind of players he is..

...what Jim Harbaugh taught him about pro offenses..

..and what his father (a former NFL QB) has told him about playing in the NFL..

..what kind of play Coby Fleener is and what he can do..

Those are questions he can actualy answer

If you think deeply about it....From a national perspective....he should ask what kind of players he is..

...what Jim Harbaugh taught him about pro offenses..

..and what his father (a former NFL QB) has told him about playing in the NFL..

..what kind of play Coby Fleener is and what he can do..

Those are questions he can actualy answer

i expect very little from the national media....with good reason

The media is the least of his worries. He will talk to them what twice a week?

His #1 or first concern is Julius Peppers coming off the corner, hoping he's blocked. Trying to find the open receiver. Checking into a good play if the offensive staff affords him that ability.

As long as he's not rude to the media, the media will not be an issue at all and I do not see that being the case.

Any issues he was is between the white lines and facing 11 NFL players on Sunday.

This is so true! They tend to back off a bit if the player is cordial but attack like pirannahas(sp?) if they get treated like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLD5WMCpYEs

If the media is his biggest challenge we are in deep trouble because that means he can't tune them out like most great players do.

His biggest challenge is going to be leading the turn around of a 2-14 football team that gutted its roster this past off-season.

If the media is his biggest challenge we are in deep trouble because that means he can't tune them out like most great players do.

His biggest challenge is going to be leading the turn around of a 2-14 football team that gutted its roster this past off-season.

I dont agree..I think Andrew Luck will finding playing the position of QB easier than being the nationla face of the franchise.

He KNOWS he can play QB..

The media tsunami he's about to be hit with is something he cannot know.

I dont agree..I think Andrew Luck will finding playing the position of QB easier than being the nationla face of the franchise.

He KNOWS he can play QB..

The media tsunami he's about to be hit with is something he cannot know.

and like most athletes I doubt he's going to pay much attention to it other than just answer questions when he's asked them just like Peyton did. If he can't handle the media he's not going to be able to handle other things he's going to face. There has never been a successful athlete who couldn't handle the media.

and like most athletes I doubt he's going to pay much attention to it other than just answer questions when he's asked them just like Peyton did. If he can't handle the media he's not going to be able to handle other things he's going to face. There has never been a successful athlete who couldn't handle the media.

Tiger woods comes to mind.

I would say that few ever handle it but we obviously have a different defintion of the word 'handle'

Tiger woods comes to mind.

I would say that few ever handle it but we obviously have a different defintion of the word 'handle'

Tiger Woods knows how to handle the media. His issues have nothing to do with the media. His issues had to do with the personal situation he was in. Ryan Leaf's blow up at the reporter is a guy who couldn't handle the media. For pro athletes the media is not a big deal because they really don't pay much attention to them. Like Pat McAfee said on the radio (ironicly enough) last week during the season they don't really think about the media unless you want too because the Colts don't let you talk to them other than what is required of you by NFL rules.

My guess is Luck is going to handle the media like he has now when asked about Peyton. Remind everyone how great Peyton is and how much he did for this team and explain he's just trying to be the best player he can be and that it's honor to mentioned along side Peyton's name. Luck isn't stupid he knows how to play this game and I really don't think he's going to think twice about it and I really don't think it's going to impact him that much.

What's going to impact him is being on a rebuilding team for the most part full of young players who are learning and developing just like he is. If he struggles that will be the reason not because he's worried about what the media thinks about him or is asking him.

Tiger Woods knows how to handle the media. His issues have nothing to do with the media. His issues had to do with the personal situation he was in. Ryan Leaf's blow up at the reporter is a guy who couldn't handle the media. For pro athletes the media is not a big deal because they really don't pay much attention to them. Like Pat McAfee said on the radio (ironicly enough) last week during the season they don't really think about the media unless you want too because the Colts don't let you talk to them other than what is required of you by NFL rules.

My guess is Luck is going to handle the media like he has now when asked about Peyton. Remind everyone how great Peyton is and how much he did for this team and explain he's just trying to be the best player he can be and that it's honor to mentioned along side Peyton's name. Luck isn't stupid he knows how to play this game and I really don't think he's going to think twice about it and I really don't think it's going to impact him that much.

What's going to impact him is being on a rebuilding team for the most part full of young players who are learning and developing just like he is. If he struggles that will be the reason not because he's worried about what the media thinks about him or is asking him.

'

You said 'handle'

Tiger Woods battles the golf media every press conference and being asked he same questins about your failures got old for him 2 years ago...

he does not 'handle' them and he's even gone to web site Q-and-As with fans to avoid them.

...Jay Cutkler would be a footbal example..

You may be misintereperting my meaning of the word 'challenge'

The NFL No.1 overall face-of-the-franchise scrutiny is something far beyond what Luck had at Stanford..and he must handle them within the framework of the Colts results,..

he's done well so far but he's faced no adversity yet.. No failure. .....

Luck's post game will be shown later nation wide on ESPN and the NFL Net....among others..

Danny Orlovsky's wasn't.

Again..he knows how to play...Its the rest of it that makes the NFL so tough for the highly-touted

'

You said 'handle'

Tiger Woods battles the golf media every press conference and being asked he same questins about your failures got old for him 2 years ago...

he does not 'handle' them and he's even gone to web site Q-and-As with fans to avoid them.

...Jay Cutkler would be a footbal example..

You may be misintereperting my meaning of the word 'challenge'

The NFL No.1 overall face-of-the-franchise scrutiny is something far beyond what Luck had at Stanford..and he must handle them within the framework of the Colts results,..

he's done well so far but he's faced no adversity yet.. No failure. .....

Luck's post game will be shown later nation wide on ESPN and the NFL Net....among others..

Danny Orlovsky's wasn't.

Again..he knows how to play...Its the rest of it that makes the NFL so tough for the highly-touted

Yes handle as in knowing how to talk to them. Tiger Woods knows how to talk to the media. As will Luck. I would beyond shocked if he had a melt down like Ryan Leaf did with the media, that's someone who didn't know how to handle the media and had it clearly get to him. If he does that's a major warning sign because if a player can't handle that it probably means they can't handle the real stress that is going to come with their jobs. Either way I really doubt Luck is going to think that much about the media beyond his required media sessions. It's not going to impact him. Things that happen on the field are going impact him and being on a team that in a lot of ways is starting over from scratch will impact him. I really doubt Luck is going to worry about the media at all let alone have it be his biggest challenge which is the title of the thread. His biggest Challenge is taking over a 2-14 football team that is rebuilding and if handles that challenge the whole media thing will take care of it's self.

I have read through this thread many times. I see some making it sound as if a player is simply thrown to the wolves to the media. Good coaches, and good organizations have excellent tactics in place to keep players from being thrown into a mosh pit especially at this young age and following a legend. That is what PR people are for...constantly briefing players with time sheets with an itinerary.that includes 'topics to avoid.'

Good coaches keep the heat off of their stars, especially when they are struggling. The media events are a TEAM EFFORT. It is not Andrew Luck vs. Bill Polian's "LIARS and RATS".

If I was Andrew Luck the question that would throw me over the edge. It is 4th down at the 5 against the Chicago Bears week 1. Three seconds remain and the Colts trail 24-20. Luck attempts a fade to Reggie in the back left corner that is slightly overthrown. Bears win 24-20. A Chicago reporter smirks at the post game press conference and asks sheepishly "Don't you wish you were Peyton Manning today?"

Can a young man contain his composure, or should the Colts even have him go out after the first tough loss of his career?

Edited by BrentMc11

I have read through this thread many times. I see some making it sound as if a player is simply thrown to the wolves to the media. Good coaches, and good organizations have excellent tactics in place to keep players from being thrown into a mosh pit especially at this young age and following a legend. That is what PR people are for...constantly briefing players with time sheets with an itinerary.that includes 'topics to avoid.'

Good coaches keep the heat off of their stars, especially when they are struggling. The media events are a TEAM EFFORT. It is not Andrew Luck vs. Bill Polian's "LIARS and RATS".

If I was Andrew Luck the question that would throw me over the edge. It is 4th down at the 5 against the Chicago Bears week 1. Three seconds remain and the Colts trail 24-20. Luck attempts a fade to Reggie in the back left corner that is slightly overthrown. Bears win 24-20. A Chicago reporter smirks at the post game press conference and asks sheepishly "Don't you wish you were Peyton Manning today?"

Can a young man contain his composure, or should the Colts even have him go out after the first tough loss of his career?

He'll face the music or he'll get ripped harder for not doing it. As you said he'll be coached on how to handle it. Look at how he handled the draft question he was asked after losing his bowl game. He was a little snarky about it but pretty much said I am not worried about that right now which was a decent response. My guess is if he got asked that question he'd probably go into his standard Peyton response when he is asked about him when he gushes about Peyton and reminds people he's not Peyton he's just focused on being the best him he can be and just in general avoid answering the question or turn it back to talking about the team and just avoid the Peyton part of it. That's also why as you said the team has media guys so that if the guy pushes the issue the media guy just ends the session and he becomes the bad guy and not Luck.