Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unusual Story about Manning's Arm Strength...

NewColtsFan

The story comes from the Denver Post... a good newspaper...

The writer says Manning's arm strength is about 85-90%. How he knows this, I don't know?

Says Manning's arm strength was at about 65% back in the spring when OTA's started, so it's much improved.

Then adds.... but he doesn't know if Manning's arm strength will come back to full strength, either this year, or even ever. How he knows this I don't know.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a4eed6/article/peyton-mannings-arm-reportedly-close-to-90-percent

I suspect this story is going to get a LOT of attention. And I suspect Manning -- whether he wants to or not -- will have to respond. He'll either say, he agrees, or disagrees, or has no idea.

How a Denver reporter knows what Manning's arm strength is based on his Indy days is anyone's guess. So, I think it's an odd story. It may be 100% accurate. Or it maybe wildly off base.

The writer says Manning's arm strength is about 85-90%. How he knows this, I don't know?

Says Manning's arm strength was at about 65% back in the spring when OTA's started, so it's much improved.

Then adds.... but he doesn't know if Manning's arm strength will come back to full strength, either this year, or even ever. How he knows this I don't know.

http://www.nfl.com/n...e-to-90-percent

I suspect this story is going to get a LOT of attention. And I suspect Manning -- whether he wants to or not -- will have to respond. He'll either say, he agrees, or disagrees, or has no idea.

How a Denver reporter knows what Manning's arm strength is based on his Indy days is anyone's guess. So, I think it's an odd story. It may be 100% accurate. Or it maybe wildly off base.

I think your comments are my comments........

85% of what? 100% of when?

My questions exactly.

Or one could say that in his opinion his arm has increased 20-25% since coming to Denver.

Manning will never be one to say Hey I'm 100%, or anything like that. He's always working for perfection. He's lucky he's a football player instead of some form of artist because he'd work on a masterpiece until he ruins it.

Like Mark said 100% or 85% of what? I'd say 85% of 2004 is better than 100% of 2010...

Slow news period between mini-camps and training camp. Maybe he's looking for hits.

http://www.nfl.com/n...e-to-90-percent

How he knows the strength may or may not come back is easy.Look up the injury I had the same surgery 1 month before Peyton.He had no strength I had no feeling.There is no reason or medical reason why some recover some do not.I have very little feeling below my elbow,the longer up to a year after surgery it remains the more permanent nerve damage will be done.Peytons clock is ticking on a year mine is expired.

Manning will never be one to say Hey I'm 100%, or anything like that. He's always working for perfection. He's lucky he's a football player instead of some form of artist because he'd work on a masterpiece until he ruins it.

haha this made me smile :) Have you ever heard him sing...?? :lol: I have, it wasn't pretty. :dance::rock: :drink: I'm sure glad he plays football :huthut:

Any issues with Peyton's arm strength or non issues with it (depending on who you believe).....is Denver's problem or non problem now.

This writer has his own criteria it seems in how he judges Manning, many do as well.

BTW I heard Andrew Luck's arm strength is 100%+ right now.

The "article" seems to be actually just a partial paraphrase of a spoken comment. Here are similar but expanded thoughts from a few weeks ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag

In it he doesn't appear to making a real effort to quantify anything exactly, and he adds:

"from what I've seen, Manning has enough arm to lead the Broncos' offence"

and

"I think Manning at 80 percent can still be a top 10 quarterback "

His thoughts aren't negatively controversial the way that it may appear.

And this is relevant how?

It is more relevant to the Colts and the Colts section IMO then anything related to percentages on Manning's arm, which is the Broncos issue present and future, or non issue. (depending on what or who you listen to)

JMO of course.

And besides, we all knew Peyton was likely not near 100% when it was time for Irsay to shell out the big bucks too. Which made his release that much more obvious and logical at the time.

Again JMO.

You will disagree with me likely and I will likely disagree with you. Best leave it at that.

It is more relevant to the Colts and the Colts section IMO then anything related to percentages on Manning's arm, which is the Broncos issue present and future, or non issue. (depending on what or who you listen to)

JMO of course.

And besides, we all knew Peyton was likely not near 100% when it was time for Irsay to shell out the big bucks too. Which made his release that much more obvious and logical at the time.

Again JMO.

You will disagree with me likely and I will likely disagree with you. Best leave it at that.

But the topic is on Manning not Andrew. So I don't see the point in bringing in pointless posts. The wrong section doesn't mean make off topic posts.

JMO of course.

NewColtsFan, thank you for the countless articles you find at times. And it appears the mods have moved this to general, which makes more sense.

FX, we all go OT at times in various threads it seems and it is no huge deal. I don't think Brady truly has much to do with the Luck/Manning bleacher report article in the Colts section but we all went there, including you and it started somehow:

http://forums.colts....ns/page__st__40

Of course it is only natural at times we make an OT post or comment. Bringing up the current Colts QB on a Colts forum should not irritate you either. And it did not strike me as unusually OT being that it is slightly relevant that Irsay might have gone the healthier/younger route at QB long term with the #1 pick, especially considering that when the 28 million was due, Manning was likely not close enough to where he needed to be. And they needed to make critical decisions on the future of the entire team roster sooner then later and try to help rebuild the mess.

JMO

I could throw a baseball 95 MPH when I was 21. I could throw a baseball from the center field fence on a line to home plate when I was 28. I hurt my neck, back and shoulder in a collision at home plate at 30. At 34 I could not throw 65% as hard or as well. I started having some tingling issues in my hands. Being a bone-head, I never went to the doctor. Number 18 has had the best care doctors could give. My ONLY concern is all of this and he will be 37. As stated above, Peyton is a top 5 QB at 85%...without question.

The other concern to me will be cold weather coming off of injuries. Nerve regeneration can cause numbness in cold weather. In discussions with some several PT experts, PM may have trouble with snaps in cold weather....my guess is that we will see some fumbles of snap, and that when really cold (if it gets cold/102 here today) he could be in the shot-gun more than ever.

Only time will tell, and spring practice is not an indicator to me whether he is 65, 85, or even 100%. Bring on the pads and training camp. I cannot wait to see number 18....but more importantly to me the Colts!! Lets play some football!!!

For some people, Nothing good can be said, or nothing good can come out of a topic with Peyton, or Manning in the title of the thread..

I am fully aware that he's moved on, and so have the Colts from this partnership, but really :???: such a shame some of the comments being made on a daily basis, from both sides.

Here is my opinion on this issue which has been going on for months.

First off I love Peyton. To totally dismiss him from any conversation on the Colts forum is silly, and the constant comparison between him and Andrew is very tiresome. They are not the same, they will never be the same and what's done is done.

I am looking forward to a new season and I truly hope Andrew will the very best qb out there, I will be rooting for him at the top of my lungs because he is the leader of my Colts. The team is headed in a new direction and I am so ready for some football! :cheer:

But to think that fans are to totally dismiss Peyton and all he has meant to this franchise is not going to happen. Of course he is of interest to the fans.

The constant comparison is not going to make Andrew look better. He can do that on his own.

"Mike Klis of The Denver Post watched Manning through four weeks of offseason activities and judged the quarterback's arm strength to be at 85-to-90 percent of what it was before the surgeries...He remains skeptical Manning will reach 100 percent this season, or ever again."

I don't much stock in a reporter who has only observed Peyton for 4 weeks. Unless Mr. Klis was part of the surgical team that performed Manning's 4 procedures or the training staff that is aiding #18 in his rehab regimen, I put no credibility in his 85-90% arm strength diagnosis at all.

Does he have a reliable base line to judge Manning from? Does he possess a Master's degree or PH.D. in Sports Medicine? Does he have any direct experience coming back from a similar ailment or circumstance?

If Mr. Klis answers no on all counts, then he needs to remain silent and leave professional matters to the professionals alone IMO.