Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curtis Painter ?butterflies? Or Lack Of Talent?

horsehead213

I don't think he played long enough for me to form an opinion.

Jitters . . . yeah. Perhaps if he had played a little longer he would have settled in more comfortably. Perhaps not.

I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Colts obviously drafted him for a reason.

Give him playing time and let me see why.

I want to know how many colts fans think that rams vs colts was butterflies or just another bad performance from

peytons always horrible back up?

I don't think it's butterflies in that he's nervous to play, I think it's an inability to handle pressure (which is a kind of butterflies, perhaps?) He's got the talent, you can see that much in camp. The problem I have is that not everyone can overcome pressure, and their is no way of telling if he ever will outside of seeing if he gets better year to year. We've tried that in preseason play, and so far he hasn't. I'll give him the rest of the preseason, but I don't think the Colts should keep hanging on for no reason if he can't handle pressure.

As I said in another thread, it's entirely possible that he's got the knowledge to be something of an assistant to Peyton (similar to Sorgi) which we wouldn't really know about. I'm fine if that's why he's still around.

They drafted other players for reasons,sometimes you miss on draft picks.

True. But they have brought in other backups (Brandsteader comes immediately to mind) who I thought would be much more capable, but they released him and kept Curtis?

"More knowledgable about how the team plays"? Ok. I'm not sure I really understand that reasoning as anyone is capable of learning if given time, and it's not like he was needed tomorrow.

He has been on the team almost three years now and I have to believe they are keeping him for a reason other than that. I'm just not understanding why.

I would like to see him play in a way that makes sense to me on why he is still here.

Jitters . . . yeah. Perhaps if he had played a little longer he would have settled in more comfortably. Perhaps not.

This

well throwing him to the wolves against the jets who needed a win to make the playoffs is one of the reasons. On the other hand, some guys have what it takes and some don't. They might be keeping him because he can study and understand defensive game tape better than the other qbs they have had. who knows.

I don't think it's butterflies in that he's nervous to play, I think it's an inability to handle pressure (which is a kind of butterflies, perhaps?) He's got the talent, you can see that much in camp. The problem I have is that not everyone can overcome pressure, and their is no way of telling if he ever will outside of seeing if he gets better year to year. We've tried that in preseason play, and so far he hasn't. I'll give him the rest of the preseason, but I don't think the Colts should keep hanging on for no reason if he can't handle pressure.

As I said in another thread, it's entirely possible that he's got the knowledge to be something of an assistant to Peyton (similar to Sorgi) which we wouldn't really know about. I'm fine if that's why he's still around.

i agree 100% i just didnt know if i was the only one that had the same feeling about him,what do the colts see in him.....i guess that should have been the tread topic lol

True. But they have brought in other backups (Brandsteader comes immediately to mind) who I thought would be much more capable, but they released him and kept Curtis?

"More knowledgable about how the team plays"? Ok. I'm not sure I really understand that reasoning as anyone is capable of learning if given time, and it's not like he was needed tomorrow.

He has been on the team almost three years now and I have to believe they are keeping him for a reason other than that. I'm just not understanding why.

I would like to see him play in a way that makes sense to me on why he is still here.

In my opinion they are kind of boxed in with him,he has been in the system for 3 years.If they had not invested that time in him he probaly would have been released.They have no one on the roster who knows the system.They will never admit it but polian must be dissapointed in him.

I stated this even before the Colts drafted him. To me, Painter is exactly like former QB Rob Johnson. He has all the necessary skills to be a QB, strong arm, good touch, accuracy, learns the playbook quickly. The only area he's lacking is the ability to do it with bodies flying all around him. He, IMO, just cannot handle the live game situations.

I am not a huge Painter fan by any stretch however we as very spoiled Colts fans with probably the greatest QB of all time tend to see the worst in all our backups. I have been around this board long enough to see that.

I dont think he will ever be great but we arent going to get an Arron Rodgers to backup Peyton so until we draft the Colts next franchise QB we will have these good but probably not great backups.

Im guessing some ppl here have played football, if they have they should know that no matter how much you practice and study it wont always go like it does in practice and that goes for especially if you have been practicing with the 2's and then they just shove you in with the 1's against a monster defense. The fact that ppl are mad at a backup only shows its about something else lol. Curtis painter has a plenty talent any scout will tell you that but you cant expect a BACKUP to show you what he's got with so little time playing. Hopefully he gets more playtime come fridays game.

Curtis Painter can freaking play good competitive football when he feels good about hiis ability. Lets face it he came in with his tail tucked because he never expects to be anything near Peyton Manning. If we hold on to Painter a couple of more years and he just all of the sudden gets ticked off we might see some of his hidden talent that he so often displayed for my Boilermakers. Honestly I was shocked we waived Nate Davis considering Painter hasnt shown any sign of testosterone lately.

I have never been a painter fan. He has some talent but lacks the self dicipline to a good back up. He just doesnt show what it takes or maybe another team would want him. I think that he will be the next jim sorgi....just sayin!

Agreed. You cannot really have a say in the matter with certainty until you've walked a mile in his shoes. You cannot evaluate the man based upon the Jets/Bills of 09'. That is not fair because he did not ASK to be thrown into the fire with the pressure of an undefeated season on the line and working w/ the #1 options. As for this preseason... this is his first REAL action with the #1 options and he only played two series. Talk to me after the Green Bay game and we'll know; none of us could do better and we have not seen enough to say he lacks talent. He frusterates me as well but it requires a look at the bigger picture to see he does have "it". Good luck to him friday, will be at the game!

I would have liked if we kept Brandstater over Painter, he sounded like he was doing way better in training camp than Painter. I don't think Painter's problem is a lack of talent, he was considered a first round pick before the beginning of his last year at Purdue. I'm not sure what it is

I would have liked if we kept Brandstater over Painter, he sounded like he was doing way better in training camp than Painter. I don't think Painter's problem is a lack of talent, he was considered a first round pick before the beginning of his last year at Purdue. I'm not sure what it is

Guy writting the review of practice tonight said that Painter would great in the NFL was 7 on 7 he just melts under presure. If I recall he lost a good chunk of his o-line before his senior year at Purdue which could be why he struggled so much his senior year and since he's been a Colt we all know how shakey our o-line is. It could just simply be he just stinks when he has pressure on him, lots of QBs have this problem. I am not trying to make any excsues for Painter but you know what if our biggest problem is our back up QB I think I can live with that.