Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan Is The Next Peyton Manning

CR91

I bet there will be and better, records are meant to be broken, just like peytons 49TD's. In time there will be another great Qb hopefully for the colts.... I wonder if any team has had two consecutive Hall of Fame QB's, that would be amazing.

Norm Van Brocklin and Bob Waterfield alternated series in the early 50s

I dont wanna turn this into a basketball argument, but this is my response to coltsrule91. Players that are bettere right now than kobe (not a better career, just better right now) in no specific order

Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki

Dwyane Wade

LeBron

Dwight Howard

kobe was not very spectacular last year, at all.

I feel you on the first part of your post, and you're correct. Records are broken and numbers can always be topped. I have a very difficult time however believing that, in my lifetime at least, we will ever see another Manning. We know about the intangibles, the arm, the accuracy and the fact that he is essentially in full control of play-calling from the line of scrimmage.

BUT...never has the league seen a singular player mean so much to his team, his franchise and his city. He started here and will end it here. He built a frickin hospital here. He took a pay cut (I know it was nominal but it was a lesser offer than he could have garnered here or elsewhere) to position his team and himself for a better chance at financially accruing better talent to surround him.

ZERO off the field issues. A magnificent role model. He's even a good actor with an uncanny sense of comedy timing.

Add it all up, how can we ever expect the best to be bested? Look beyond the numbers, beyond the ring and the records and we see a complete portrait of the perfect QB.

Good call on Young/Montana, John Dee. Not only were these guys consecutive HoF'ers, but, they were on the roster simultaneously and seamlessly switched from HoF QB to another HoF QB. That being said, the system in which they played gave them their status, as opposed to what we've seen with Manning. Wherein, he gave the system its status.

There never was a "Manning" before, nor can I expect there will be another.

when you put it like that i dont think there will be another one "like" him, i give alot of credit to tom moore for making peyton who he is today. I pray to god after peyton retires he stays on and become a coach or something for the colts that would definitely help the chances of the colts getting another great QB.

Ryan will probably be one of the future faces of the league when Manning and Brady retire. But to say he's the next Manning is a little premature. Peyton Manning has the type of talent that comes around once every decade. He's a complete qb and leader, who posesses rare work ethic and God given ability. Is it possible that Ryan become that great? Yes but IMO I haven't seen any Peyton Manning ist characteristics

I bet there will be and better, records are meant to be broken, just like peytons 49TD's. In time there will be another great Qb hopefully for the colts.... I wonder if any team has had two consecutive Hall of Fame QB's, that would be amazing.

The 49'ers with Montana/Young are the most recent. It "might" be possible for Green Bay to do it with Farve/Rodgers. It's WAY too early though to even really think about that but when Brady/Manning retire Rodgers will likely be the heir apparent to either the number one or number two QB in the league.

By help id mean matt ryan needs a coach and an extra head to help him when manning does everything on his own, he practicly runs the practice. peyton manning made austin collie. he made pierre garcon. he made our offincive line. if we had matt ryan he'd be sacked every play. ryan needs a running game to be good peyton doesnt.

I pray to god after peyton retires he stays on and become a coach or something for the colts that would definitely help the chances of the colts getting another great QB.

I simply can't picture Manning walking away from the game entirely. I too hope with all might that he returns to Indy after a post-retirement hiatus and assumes some capacity of control over the team. He has left an indelible mark on the city and the franchise and it would be a pleasure to have his shadow hanging firm over the LOS.

The 49'ers with Montana/Young are the most recent. It "might" be possible for Green Bay to do it with Farve/Rodgers. It's WAY too early though to even really think about that but when Brady/Manning retire Rodgers will likely be the heir apparent to either the number one or number two QB in the league.

Idk much about Rodgers stats but he is surrounded by talent on that team, I gotta go with Matt Ryan though he seems like a really good QB. I think the colts can accomplish consecutive great QB's they just need to handle peytons situation carefully when he's getting ready to retire.

Ryan without question is a great QB and if u dont think he has the potential to be one of the greats you're watching a different guy. Though he resembles Brady MUCH more than manning.

Matt Ryan will have similar playoff record as Peyton Manning, and similar regular season stats as Peyton Manning when it is all said and done. I think, with his 0-2 start and 2 one-and-dones, he is on his way, don't you think? </sarcasm>

Tony Gonzalez has never won a playoff game in his career, maybe he should retire to let Matt Ryan win a playoff game, lol.

When Matt Ryan calls all of the plays then the comparison to Manning could be reasonable.

However, Ryan has not had a single 4000 yard season while Manning has only missed twice, his rookie season and 2005 when they quit after losing to the Chargers. The only stat where Ryan is better than Manning's 1st three years is interceptions.

I think you forgot to mention that Matt Ryan is 33-13 in his first three years and Peyton Manning was 26-22 in his first three years . . . ;) . . . just saying . . . furthermore, prior to the arrival of Coach Dungy, Clark, Freeney, Mathis, Wayne, Sanders, etc . . . PM was 32-32 in his first four years as a starter and his team did not seem that different that the Colts team lead by Jim Harbaugh in the four years prior to PM's arrival . . . whereas Matt took a Atlanta franchise which did not have a winning season in the three years prior to his arrival and lead them to three consecutive winning seasons and two playoff berths . . . ;)

now addressing the issue of "stats" time will tell . . . I for one am not a stats guys. Indeed, PM's '10 year and TB's '09 year were among the best "stats"wize of their respective careers but were far from their best years as a QB under center . . .

Regarding Matt Ryan being the next Peyton Manning, time will tell . . . so far he has turned his franchise around more so than PM, but is behind in the "stats" catagory . . . As I have said in years past on the old forums and other forums, TB and PM are great QBs, and i think we would be a little short sighted to say that one of the other QBs in the league presently can not rise to the level of those two some time in the future . . .

Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Mr. Rivers, all could approach the PM/TB level some time down the road . . .

whereas Matt took a Atlanta franchise which did not have a winning season in the three years prior to his arrival and lead them to three consecutive winning seasons and two playoff berths . . . ;)

You think Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White have not helped his cause much during those winning seasons??? The moves in free agency and trades that the Falcons made have been more fast and furious than I can remember the Colts making in the early years of Peyton, just an observation. I do think that has made a huge difference for the Falcons franchise since they had to recover fast from the Vick residue.

I dont wanna turn this into a basketball argument, but this is my response to coltsrule91. Players that are bettere right now than kobe (not a better career, just better right now) in no specific order

Kevin Durant

Dirk Nowitzki

Dwyane Wade

LeBron

Dwight Howard

kobe was not very spectacular last year, at all.

right now sure there are better players, but when its all said and done and he retires hes gonna be the closest to being as good as michael jordan.

if rivers keeps putting up his amazing numbers he'll be closer to manning brady but ryan has that potential too, of course as does brees

the thing about ryan and rivers though, is if they keep putting up fantastic numbers, without a sb, one of them, or both, will be thought of as the next marino, sadly.

this should easily be ryan's first 4000 yard passing season

right now sure there are better players, but when its all said and done and he retires hes gonna be the closest to being as good as michael jordan.

yep, right now it's jordan

but kobe's the only person playing right now who could even approach MJ imo

but dayum, MJ was amazing..... 6-0 in the finals, 6 finals mvp awards

and all those clutch shots

You think Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez and Roddy White have not helped his cause much during those winning seasons??? The moves in free agency and trades that the Falcons made have been more fast and furious than I can remember the Colts making in the early years of Peyton, just an observation. I do think that has made a huge difference for the Falcons franchise since they had to recover fast from the Vick residue.

yes I do think that teammates do help in bringing success to a team and a player, both via his stats and W/L percentage . . . and yes I do think that those players did help . . . however, Roddy White was already with the Falcons for three years prior to Ryan's arrival so therefore was part of the prior team as opposed to being an addition with Ryan. Turner is a great RB, but was a back up (albeit a back up to LT) prior to coming to Falcons, so it is not like they went out and got A Peterson in a trade . . . yes T Gonzales is a great TE and did provide help in the last two seasons . . . so yes they have additions to the team beyond Ryan, but I would not say they are major additions . . . well not additions beyond what a normal team will do in the off season . . .

but my overall point it that we Pats and Colts fans can get together and talk all PM/TB ra ra 1A & 1B and convince each other that the two are the best and the best for the next 20-30 years, but in a short 5-6 years there likely could be a third QB that challenges to be on the same pedestal as PM/TB . . . it is really not so different than Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, the two superstars of the 80s and most thought they are the best and would be the best for a while then MJ comes along plays well in the 90s and some put MJ over Bird and Magic (which I dont btw), but the point is once you think you got the best, Bird/Magic, it may only be 7 years or so when the masses are talking about another one as great or greater, MJ . . . and the same could happen in football . . .

so if Matt Ryan develops and has a great 6-7 yr span moving forward with multiple playoff appearances, a SB or two, with a few deep runs in the playoffs otherwise, and an MVP or two, people will be putting him the discussion as the next TB or PM . . .I would still take TB until i think Ryan surpassing him, but I can see how some would look to Ryan and say he could be the next TB or PM . . .

I think you forgot to mention that Matt Ryan is 33-13 in his first three years and Peyton Manning was 26-22 in his first three years . . . ;) . . . just saying . . . furthermore, prior to the arrival of Coach Dungy, Clark, Freeney, Mathis, Wayne, Sanders, etc . . . PM was 32-32 in his first four years as a starter and his team did not seem that different that the Colts team lead by Jim Harbaugh in the four years prior to PM's arrival . . . whereas Matt took a Atlanta franchise which did not have a winning season in the three years prior to his arrival and lead them to three consecutive winning seasons and two playoff berths . . . ;)

now addressing the issue of "stats" time will tell . . . I for one am not a stats guys. Indeed, PM's '10 year and TB's '09 year were among the best "stats"wize of their respective careers but were far from their best years as a QB under center . . .

Regarding Matt Ryan being the next Peyton Manning, time will tell . . . so far he has turned his franchise around more so than PM, but is behind in the "stats" catagory . . . As I have said in years past on the old forums and other forums, TB and PM are great QBs, and i think we would be a little short sighted to say that one of the other QBs in the league presently can not rise to the level of those two some time in the future . . .

Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Mr. Rivers, all could approach the PM/TB level some time down the road . . .

Spot on post, Matt Ryan is the youngest out of all those guys and he's done great so far. Give him some really good receivers and this guy is definitely gonna make a name for himself .

The Falcons remind me of the Colts of old. Strong QB play, good running game (when we had Edge), two very good receivers (I think Julio Jones will do very well in the NFL). Matt Ryan is their Peyton Manning, Turner is their Edge, Jones/White is their Wayne/Harrison. Lots of regular season success, but not a lot of playoff success yet.

When I look at the top "young" quarterbacks in this league I picture aaron Rodgers as more "Manning-like". Matt strikes me as more like Tom Brady...very accurate...takes what the defense gives him. Plays within the system.

fixed it for you and i think aaron is more brady then matt since both were first sitting on the bench before getting their chance while both matt and peyton started right away

fixed it for you and i think aaron is more brady then matt since both were first sitting on the bench before getting their chance while both matt and peyton started right away

Actually I am going to have to agree with bleedin blue and that I think that Rogers is more like PM than Ryan . . . to date Rogers is more accurate and has thrown for more yards than Ryan . . . Actually Rogers was the first guy i drafted in my first fantasy football team ever, which was last year . . . I picked him even though TB was still available . . . :foot: as I thought he might have better year last year . . .

DISCLAIMER: The fact that I mentioned Rogers is more like PM and that I picked Rogers over TB in my last year's fantasy football shall not be construded as to my opinion as to who I think it a better QB of any of the active QBs in the NFL and said comment is limited to the particular purpose of this thread and only this thread, said comment can not heretofore be referenced, reproduced or otherwise copied except for reference to this thread . . . :brady: . . . :dancing:

Actually I am going to have to agree with bleedin blue and that I think that Rogers is more like PM than Ryan . . . to date Rogers is more accurate and has thrown for more yards than Ryan . . . Actually Rogers was the first guy i drafted in my first fantasy football team ever, which was last year . . . I picked him even though TB was still available . . . :foot: as I thought he might have better year last year . . .

DISCLAIMER: The fact that I mentioned Rogers is more like PM and that I picked Rogers over TB in my last year's fantasy football shall not be construded as to my opinion as to who I think it a better QB of any of the active QBs in the NFL and said comment is limited to the particular purpose of this thread and only this thread, said comment can not heretofore be referenced, reproduced or otherwise copied except for reference to this thread . . . :brady: . . . :dancing:

Sweet disclaimer.... :neener:

Agreed with the above.

Matt Ryan is baked in hyperbole. That is not to say he isn't really really good, he is. But the hype exceeds the player at this point. The trick with hyped players like Brady and Manning (Even Rodgers at this point) is that their hype cannot keep up with their skills and accomplishments. They exceed the hype injected toward them.

There will not be another manning or brady. Their two of the greatest ever. Matt Ryan needs alot of help to be successful when peyton doesn't command alot of help even though im sure he'd love it.

Keep your eyes on Colt McCoy-his mechanics and confidance are far superior to many other starters. If there is another Manning/Brady type I think he plays in Cleveland. I thought he looked exceptional in his rookie year from his first snap and it's been a nice ride ever since.

neither will lebron coltscane

Never thought so either... MJ is in a class of his own and I'm not sure we'll see someone like him in our lifetime. Not even football has a hands down best player ever like MJ is to the NBA.

• 1 month later...

Im sorry, ive watched all the falcons games this year with an open mind. I really just dont see the matt ryan peyton manning comparison. As stated previously, Ryan is like the 02-06 (pre-moss) tom brady. He puts up good numbers from time to time. wins games (not this year) and does a great job managing the game. Big difference between the two is that brady was on a far superior team.

But I really dont see the comparison to Peyton.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - Name Calling
Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - Name Calling

the more i see him play the more i see peyton in him. great accuracy, strong arm, but not that strong, great leadership and poise and a student of the game. and lets not forget early playoff struggles hehe, but really i see him being the face of the nfl once peyton and brady retire

You've got to be kidding. And why mention that cheating scrub in the same sentence with Peyton?