Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan Is The Next Peyton Manning

CR91

the more i see him play the more i see peyton in him. great accuracy, strong arm, but not that strong, great leadership and poise and a student of the game. and lets not forget early playoff struggles hehe, but really i see him being the face of the nfl once peyton and brady retire

Well both of the QBs first passes were touchdowns, but no he is not the next Peyton Manning. He could be as good as Brees, but that's it. Andrew Luck could be the next Peyton Manning, but that's a stretch. It's extremely hard to find a Peyton Manning, and Matt Ryan has not put up Peyton Manning numbers.

Well both of the QBs first passes were touchdowns, but no he is not the next Peyton Manning. He could be as good as Brees, but that's it. Andrew Luck could be the next Peyton Manning, but that's a stretch. It's extremely hard to find a Peyton Manning, and Matt Ryan has not put up Peyton Manning numbers.

true, but everything else about his game reminds me of peyton and i think this is gonna be his best year with another threat now on the outside besides white.

There will never, ever, ever never ever be another Peyton. Bite your tongue lest I hack it off good sir!

have an open mind. peyton is the g.o.a.t, but if i had to choose anyone to be the next great id go with matty ice

true, but everything else about his game reminds me of peyton and i think this is gonna be his best year with another threat now on the outside besides white.

I have a feeling that Julio Jones goes down with an injury, and doesn't live up to the hype. Plus Tony Gonzalez is getting older, and their line isn't that good anymore. I don't see him having as good a year.

I have a feeling that Julio Jones goes down with an injury, and doesn't live up to the hype. Plus Tony Gonzalez is getting older, and their line isn't that good anymore. I don't see him having as good a year.

jones could get hurt, but so could anyone, gonzo is old doesnt mean he still cant play because hes still making plays. i still like him this year and for years to come

jones could get hurt, but so could anyone, gonzo is old doesnt mean he still cant play because hes still making plays. i still like him this year for for years to come

Gonzo is old? He turns 27 in a month, I believe. Is that old now?

the more i see him play the more i see peyton in him. great accuracy, strong arm, but not that strong, great leadership and poise and a student of the game. and lets not forget early playoff struggles hehe, but really i see him being the face of the nfl once peyton and brady retire

I threw up. I really need that before bed, it helps my figure.

There will not be another manning or brady. Their two of the greatest ever. Matt Ryan needs alot of help to be successful when peyton doesn't command alot of help even though im sure he'd love it.

Define help. Would Marvin Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, E James, Dallas Clarke, Reggie Wayne, Tarrik Glenn, Jeff Saturday, Brandon Stokely, and the same coaching staff for his first 10 years be considered help for Peyton? Just curious what you mean by help.

hes not nearly as good as peyton. Maybe a poor man's peyton.

Calling Matt Ryan the next Peyton Manning is like calling kobe the next michael jordan.

100% false.

dont see how thats false when hes got 5 championships and is considered the best player in the nba

1. he is not currently the best player in the NBA

2. please tell me you dont actually think he is anywhere near michael jordan. if you actually think that you just lost tons of credibility in you argument of matt ryan being the next peyton manning

so who is derrick rose? dwight howard? if you say lebron im gonna puke.

Kobe would be the only player right now that could even be comparable to Michael Jordan. Is he as great as Michael, not at all. Comparisons made due to their dominance and the # of championships they have are perfectly valid. Now I'm waiting for someone to come in here and compare Lebron James to Michael Jordan, hah!!

Define help. Would Marvin Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, E James, Dallas Clarke, Reggie Wayne, Tarrik Glenn, Jeff Saturday, Brandon Stokely, and the same coaching staff for his first 10 years be considered help for Peyton? Just curious what you mean by help.

Some will never truly appreciate what Manning has done until he is not doing it here any longer. Until then he is the most "taken for granted athlete" I have ever witnessed.

Manning is the same consistent QB with the same consistent numbers and "RECORD" regardless of how bad the D is, or how many injuries hamper the O.

In my mind he is the ONLY QB in the NFL that could do what he does with NO running game and D that always puts him behind.

Manning is a stud, and no other QB out there comes close. I just pray the Colts give this guy a power running game bofore it's over... Then we will truly see some massacres.

hes not nearly as good as peyton. Maybe a poor man's peyton.

Calling Matt Ryan the next Peyton Manning is like calling kobe the next michael jordan.

100% false.

I actually think Kobe and MJ are very comparable. And if we compare supporting casts then Kobe may get the dome more with less award.

MJ played with some very talented players. That said, I do give MJ the edge... not by much though.

There will never, ever, ever never ever be another Peyton. Bite your tongue lest I hack it off good sir!

I bet there will be and better, records are meant to be broken, just like peytons 49TD's. In time there will be another great Qb hopefully for the colts.... I wonder if any team has had two consecutive Hall of Fame QB's, that would be amazing.

I bet there will be and better, records are meant to be broken, just like peytons 49TD's. In time there will be another great Qb hopefully for the colts.... I wonder if any team has had two consecutive Hall of Fame QB's, that would be amazing.

Montana, Young...

I feel you on the first part of your post, and you're correct. Records are broken and numbers can always be topped. I have a very difficult time however believing that, in my lifetime at least, we will ever see another Manning. We know about the intangibles, the arm, the accuracy and the fact that he is essentially in full control of play-calling from the line of scrimmage.

BUT...never has the league seen a singular player mean so much to his team, his franchise and his city. He started here and will end it here. He built a frickin hospital here. He took a pay cut (I know it was nominal but it was a lesser offer than he could have garnered here or elsewhere) to position his team and himself for a better chance at financially accruing better talent to surround him.

ZERO off the field issues. A magnificent role model. He's even a good actor with an uncanny sense of comedy timing.

Add it all up, how can we ever expect the best to be bested? Look beyond the numbers, beyond the ring and the records and we see a complete portrait of the perfect QB.

Good call on Young/Montana, John Dee. Not only were these guys consecutive HoF'ers, but, they were on the roster simultaneously and seamlessly switched from HoF QB to another HoF QB. That being said, the system in which they played gave them their status, as opposed to what we've seen with Manning. Wherein, he gave the system its status.

There never was a "Manning" before, nor can I expect there will be another.

Manning's unique distinction and ability is that he can literally elevate an entire team. The Colts under another QB are simply not the Colts. To look at the other franchise QB of the era, Tom Brady, as good as he is (and he *is* good), isn't as important to his team. When he went down, Matt Castle stepped in, and the Patriots won, what 11 games?

No disrespect to the rest of the team, because a lot of this has to do with the way the team and game plans are built around Peyton Manning, but in truth, there is no other player in the league more valuable, or necessary to their team than Peyton Manning with the Colts. Put on top of that Peyton's stats and performance, character, leadership, work ethic and knowledge of the game, and I dare say it's fair to say that there is no other QB in the league that can match that, and there may never be.

When Matt Ryan calls all of the plays then the comparison to Manning could be reasonable.

However, Ryan has not had a single 4000 yard season while Manning has only missed twice, his rookie season and 2005 when they quit after losing to the Chargers. The only stat where Ryan is better than Manning's 1st three years is interceptions.