Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our roster in colts.com

Marcio James

Some of the players weights have changed which is a welocme addition. In the past they just repeated the same weight year after year. It seems Latarrius Thomas is missing off the roster. He was #47 in the blue jersey during minicamp and ota. Has he been cut or is this just an oversight?

Some of the players weights have changed which is a welocme addition. In the past they just repeated the same weight year after year. It seems Latarrius Thomas is missing off the roster. He was #47 in the blue jersey during minicamp and ota. Has he been cut or is this just an oversight?

I noticed the weights as well. Mike Tepper is now pretty much listed as a man-mountain at 6'6 354, and Ijalana is up 20 lbs. at 6'4 337. It's a very welcome change. (The update, not necessarily their weights. Could be bad weight, could be good weight, could hinder, could help)

Nevis, Matthews, and Ogbu are now on the high side of 300.

I noticed the weights as well. Mike Tepper is now pretty much listed as a man-mountain at 6'6 354, and Ijalana is up 20 lbs. at 6'4 337. It's a very welcome change. (The update, not necessarily their weights. Could be bad weight, could be good weight, could hinder, could help)

Nevis, Matthews, and Ogbu are now on the high side of 300.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the coaching staff liking the image of bigger players? I don't mean that they have bulked up necessarily....just some image upgrades maybe - coaches play a psychological game. We know that the old staff liked a more svelte image....so I guess these could just be real weights as well. I guess I've always believed there was a fair amount of discretion taken in the roster listings.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the coaching staff liking the image of bigger players? I don't mean that they have bulked up necessarily....just some image upgrades maybe - coaches play a psychological game. We know that the old staff liked a more svelte image....so I guess these could just be real weights as well. I guess I've always believed there was a fair amount of discretion taken in the roster listings.

I've only mistrusted listed weights due to never being updated and due to not wanting to list the weight of some truly huge guys (Ted Washington is my ultimate example, who was never listed over 360, even though he reportedly played at 400 lbs. at times)

But I don't buy the psychological edge. I think any player that can be psyched out because he thinks he's facing someone 20 lbs. more than they actually weigh is likely not going to be in the NFL long anyway, or not going to ever see the field. Players play the way they play, and I don't think they'll have a harder or easier time moving a 336 lb. man listed at 315 or 355 lbs. I don't think teams put much stock into weight, especially guys they have tape on.

I DO think it might relate to the new scheme. The OC and OL coach are both from Pittsburgh, where they tend to play with the biggest linemen they can find. I do think bigger CAN (but doesn't always) lead to more power, and believe that is the key to these weight increases. The line looks alot more like Pittsburghs right now, at least in the size category. I don't think it's psychological, I think it's purposeful. I'm just curious to see if it fits the purpose.

Changes are good if it is muscle and not fat with no loss in speed and agility.

Avery 200

Carter 238-FB size

Costonzo 315

Evans 232-FB size

Ijalana 337

Linkenback 323

McGlynn 327

Ogbu 305

Redding 315

Rucker 209-SS size

Stanton 243

I've been looking up Ijalana to see what position he plays now and some results come up guard and others come up with tackle and also different numbers (71,79) so did he get a number change to

You are right. Ijalana was 71 in college and 79 for the Colts last year. Colts.com now lists him at G and has him listed at 71, his old college number.

My guess is that the new front office ACTUALLY allows Colts.com do what they do and the weights listed right now are how they weighed in at the beginning of the OTA's? Let's see if they go down any by preseason or the end of preseason?

The position assignments do clearly indicate that we have switched to the hybrid 3-4 though and that is a welcome change!

Additionally, NFL players weights ebb and flow just like the average joe's does.......so with a better nutrition plan, a better strength and conditioning plan they very well could have added 5, 10, 15, 20 lbs of muscle in the last year or two and the old regime may have just left their weight as their rookie weight?

We all know how Polian dispised the media - which Colts.com does qualify as media.........just sayin

But I don't buy the psychological edge. I think any player that can be psyched out because he thinks he's facing someone 20 lbs. more than they actually weigh is likely not going to be in the NFL long anyway, or not going to ever see the field.

Psychological edge is a big deal at every level of sports....I'm not saying that weights are a big component of that, but subtle things are used all the time. Having looked the new roster over now, I got the feeling that they were just reporting what had been written down when they reported in. Most of them are probably just carrying a little extra in the off-season. Wouldn't be shocked if the weight sticks on paper.

Psychological edge is a big deal at every level of sports....I'm not saying that weights are a big component of that, but subtle things are used all the time. Having looked the new roster over now, I got the feeling that they were just reporting what had been written down when they reported in. Most of them are probably just carrying a little extra in the off-season. Wouldn't be shocked if the weight sticks on paper.

I agree on the psychological edge thing, just not that the listed weights are part of that. Though I think we're on the same page now.

Weights will change from day to day. When working out in the heat the weight could change as much as 15 lbs. Water weight plays a large part due to weights being before or after workouts. There are large amounts of calories burnt during a workout. I would not like to pay these guys food bills! lol- I will be looking forward as to will become avalible after the first cuts and who the Colts will be signing from other teams drops and or practice squads. With the change in the scouting department we will have some new eyes looking around the leauge.

Fili Moala is listed as DE and Nevis as DT. would this mean that on 3-4 looks Fili is the starter and on 4-3 looks (or whatever the look is but 4 guys with hands in the dirt) Nevis would be the starter?

btw, Ijalana seems way fatter than i expected, is that his weight coming out of college or is he out of shape?

Fili Moala is listed as DE and Nevis as DT. would this mean that on 3-4 looks Fili is the starter and on 4-3 looks (or whatever the look is but 4 guys with hands in the dirt) Nevis would be the starter?

btw, Ijalana seems way fatter than i expected, is that his weight coming out of college or is he out of shape?

That is about a 20 pound weight gain since college. Maybe it is because his knee is being rehabed or maybe the offseason conditioning process (weightlifting) has added more muscle.

Changes are good if it is muscle and not fat with no loss in speed and agility.

Avery 200

Carter 238-FB size

Costonzo 315

Evans 232-FB size

Ijalana 337

Linkenback 323

McGlynn 327

Ogbu 305

Redding 315

Rucker 209-SS size

Stanton 243

Id like to see evans start at FB. Former warren Central High product. as far as rucker goes he may need to lose about 10 to 15 lbs. hes going to be slow and wont be able to play CB which means its gonna come down to Thomas and chism on the other side of powers.

Id like to see evans start at FB. Former warren Central High product. as far as rucker goes he may need to lose about 10 to 15 lbs. hes going to be slow and wont be able to play CB which means its gonna come down to Thomas and chism on the other side of powers.

Last year at 6-1 195 Rucker looked slim. Maybe he has lifted weight and put on muscle. Sometimes 10 lbs of muscle can actually increase your speed-depending on how he developed it during the offseason. Maybe if he is just as agile he can take the SS job from Zbitkowski.

Last year at 6-1 195 Rucker looked slim. Maybe he has lifted weight and put on muscle. Sometimes 10 lbs of muscle can actually increase your speed-depending on how he developed it during the offseason. Maybe if he is just as agile he can take the SS job from Zbitkowski.

zbikowski isnt a bad SS he never had a chance to play in baltimore full time because of Ed Reed. he has speed, he can hit pretty hard, and he locates the ball well. and his defending isnt bad, may not be ed reed converage but its not bad.

umm no. Zbikowski is average at best. The "he didnt get his chance because of Reed" line is a joke. They play 2 different positions. They were on the field at the same time. He LOST his starting SS job to Pollard. He had his chance. I dont get all this hype for Z... Maybe its because he has an "ex-ravens player" tag. I would prefer anyone else besides him start at SS. No knock on him, im sure he could be a good player, but atm we have younger guys and I would rather they have a chance to start instead of handing the job to Z....which seems like thats what everyone wants to see happen

zbikowski isnt a bad SS he never had a chance to play in baltimore full time because of Ed Reed. he has speed, he can hit pretty hard, and he locates the ball well. and his defending isnt bad, may not be ed reed converage but its not bad.

Zbitkowski played a lot. When Reed was out Z started at FS which seems a better fit. When Reed came back Z moved to SS. He had coverage problems and Pollard took that spot from him. Maybe he beats out Caldwell and Lefeged though because they also had coverage problems. Rucker was projected as a safety but is still listed by the Colts as a CB.

No. In Pags defense, judging by what he did last year in Baltimore he lines up with 3 down lineman; a DE, NT and a DT, then based on formation, tendencies, down and distance, time in game, score and other things they consider before calling a play Freeney will line up somewhere along the line with his hand in the dirt (giving a 4-3 look). For the Ravens last year the positions were; Redding (DE), Cody (NT), Ngata(DT), Suggs (OLB with hand in the dirt). For the Colts based on the updated roster it looks like it will be; Redding (DE), Mount McKinney(NT), Nevis (DT), Freeney (OLB with hand in dirt).

A lot of people may disagree but I think that is looking like a good front 4.

I think he was 320+ last year as a rookie. It would not surprise me at all if he's gained some weight... nothing to do but eat and recover.

No. In Pags defense, judging by what he did last year in Baltimore he lines up with 3 down lineman; a DE, NT and a DT, then based on formation, tendencies, down and distance, time in game, score and other things they consider before calling a play Freeney will line up somewhere along the line with his hand in the dirt (giving a 4-3 look). For the Ravens last year the positions were; Redding (DE), Cody (NT), Ngata(DT), Suggs (OLB with hand in the dirt). For the Colts based on the updated roster it looks like it will be; Redding (DE), Mount McKinney(NT), Nevis (DT), Freeney (OLB with hand in dirt).

A lot of people may disagree but I think that is looking like a good front 4.

I think he was 320+ last year as a rookie. It would not surprise me at all if he's gained some weight... nothing to do but eat and recover.

So where is Mathis gonna fit into the equation, would he be standing up on the outside oppisite Freeny? And would Nevis be basically a quick tackle focusing on causing pentitration and prussure up the middle, pending on the call? If thats what his big purpose will be he should do well because he is really good at getting to the QB or RB in the backfield.

An article on Colts.com recently like today or yesterday quoted Pagano that Nevis and Moala both moved to end and are picking it up fairly quickly and improving everyday.So since Pagano said it I will go off his statement that both are ends fighting for the other starting end position. I take that back Pagano wasn't quoted that was the defensive Line coach Emmanuel that was quoted but I still take his word for it

So where is Mathis gonna fit into the equation, would he be standing up on the outside oppisite Freeny? And would Nevis be basically a quick tackle focusing on causing pentitration and prussure up the middle, pending on the call? If thats what his big purpose will be he should do well because he is really good at getting to the QB or RB in the backfield.

Yes, As Pags said, he sees Mathis filling the role of J. Johnson which means he will be standing up most of the time. Where he stands up will depend on many factors, not necessarily opposite of Freeney.