Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it odd we haven't signed any Draft pick?

Rebelknight

The previous regime never signed guys until right before training camp. I will say I'm surprised though, given the rookie wage scale and the fact that we have practically the first pick in every round so the contracts should be set in stone already.

Signing draft picks is a non issue after the new 2011 CBA. The picks are strictly slotted making the money pretty much non negotiable. The remaining aspects of the contract would never warrent a player holding out. The days of rookies not signing by the start of training camp are over.

Signing draft picks is a non issue after the new 2011 CBA. The picks are strictly slotted making the money pretty much non negotiable. The remaining aspects of the contract would never warrent a player holding out. The days of rookies not signing by the start of training camp are over.

So why isn't it done yet if it is a formality? Maybe no one has the answer, but its kind of odd

So why isn't it done yet if it is a formality? Maybe no one has the answer, but its kind of odd

Total wild speculation here, but maybe they want to get Luck signed first, and are allowing him to complete school before diving into contract negotiations.

I think it's pretty much the norm at this point in time. I haven't heard of more than 2 maybe 3 1st round picks that have signed as of now ?

The positives are that you have your people happy and in camp and can plan what money is left for FA signings.

The negatives are that if they get hurt you don't have to sign them lol...oh and Rookies running around with money in their pocket getting in trouble....no really I see no reason to not have them signed. There are things to negotiate. The length of the contract and most importantly the amount of the money that will be guaranteed. I am sure there are reasons....I think it would put all sides at ease to get it done though.

The positives are that you have your people happy and in camp and can plan what money is left for FA signings.

The negatives are that if they get hurt you don't have to sign them lol...oh and Rookies running around with money in their pocket getting in trouble....no really I see no reason to not have them signed. There are things to negotiate. The length of the contract and most importantly the amount of the money that will be guaranteed. I am sure there are reasons....I think it would put all sides at ease to get it done though.

The length of the contracts and amount of guaranteed money is pretty much spelled out. The days of 55 million..40 guaranteed are over.For instance Luck will get the same as Cam Newton and I beieve pretty much all of the money is(was) guaranteed. The lenghts are alos pretty much no longer negotiable. They are no longer the 6-7 year deals. They are 4 years and less. The undrafted free agents are one year at a time but the team still has that players rights for 4 years as long as they make the necessary qualifying offers. Some of the later round deals are 3years I belive but once again , they are bound to the team for 4 years. The only exception I have heard to the 4 year maiximum is there can be an option for a 5th year and that year is priced at the value of the transition tag. Pretty sure that is the average of the top ten player salaries at the player's possition.

Here's a little literature on it.

Under the new rules a team and first-round draft pick can sign for no more than five years however the fifth year can be an option year. Players drafted in rounds two-to-seven can sign for a maximum of four years. As well first-round picks cannot re-negotiate their contract until year three and all other draft picks in year two.

The fifth year of the players salary can increase and can almost triple from the previous amount.

In 2011 the Carolina Panthers selected Auburn quarterback Cam Newton first overall and once the lockout was lifted signed him to a four year deal worth $22 million, with all of it being fully guaranteed. This is a huge decrease from Bradford’s $50 million in guaranteed money and shows the rookie situation is seemingly under control. Even in year five Newton’s salary only
and if that is guaranteed, still comes in under Stafford’s 41.7 million in guaranteed money.

The second overall pick Texas A&M outside linebacker Von Miller signed a four year
with the Denver Broncos.

The length of the contracts and amount of guaranteed money is pretty much spelled out. The days of 55 million..40 guaranteed are over.For instance Luck will get the same as Cam Newton and I beieve pretty much all of the money is(was) guaranteed. The lenghts are alos pretty much no longer negotiable. They are no longer the 6-7 year deals. They are 4 years and less. The undrafted free agents are one year at a time but the team still has that players rights for 4 years as long as they make the necessary qualifying offers. Some of the later round deals are 3years I belive but once again , they are bound to the team for 4 years. The only exception I have heard to the 4 year maiximum is there can be an option for a 5th year and that year is priced at the value of the transition tag. Pretty sure that is the average of the top ten player salaries at the player's possition.

Here's a little literature on it.

Under the new rules a team and first-round draft pick can sign for no more than five years however the fifth year can be an option year. Players drafted in rounds two-to-seven can sign for a maximum of four years. As well first-round picks cannot re-negotiate their contract until year three and all other draft picks in year two.

The fifth year of the players salary can increase and can almost triple from the previous amount.

In 2011 the Carolina Panthers selected Auburn quarterback Cam Newton first overall and once the lockout was lifted signed him to a four year deal worth $22 million, with all of it being fully guaranteed. This is a huge decrease from Bradford’s $50 million in guaranteed money and shows the rookie situation is seemingly under control. Even in year five Newton’s salary only
and if that is guaranteed, still comes in under Stafford’s 41.7 million in guaranteed money.

The second overall pick Texas A&M outside linebacker Von Miller signed a four year
with the Denver Broncos.

Yes. I understand but that doesn't mean we aren't working on trying to get an extra year or working on if all of it will be guaranteed or most and so on. I am sure there will be some jockeying but you don't want to tick off our number 1 pick and not get him to camp in time. I think since he won't be here til after he graduates that is primarily what has slowed the process down since there is no urgency in getting them into camp.

Yes. I understand but that doesn't mean we aren't working on trying to get an extra year or working on if all of it will be guaranteed or most and so on. I am sure there will be some jockeying but you don't want to tick off our number 1 pick and not get him to camp in time. I think since he won't be here til after he graduates that is primarily what has slowed the process down since there is no urgency in getting them into camp.

The rookies always participate in the mini camps and voluntary workouts without contracts being signed. I think you're thinking of training camp which starts late July or early August. That's the one that a rookie would not attend until he is under contract. I don't think Luck graduating in June has a thing to do with it. Other words the rookies that no longer have classes , will be at the work outs and mini camps... contract or no. There just is no real advantage to having a contract signed now. He is going to get around 24 million... all guaranteed . The Colts will push for the 5th year option and the two sides will dicker over odds and ends. Other than it being "nice to have the guys under contract" , there is not much advantage to having the rookies signed before training camp in July. From what I understand , with the new CBA , there isn't enough negotiating left after the "slotting" process for there to be nay hard feelings over contract negotiatons. But I could be full of beans and not know what I'm talking about.

Btw... I only have a post or two left (probation) , so if I don't answer something ... it's because I can't.

The rookies always participate in the mini camps and voluntary workouts without contracts being signed. I think you're thinking of training camp which starts late July or early August. That's the one that a rookie would not attend until he is under contract. I don't think Luck graduating in June has a thing to do with it. Other words the rookies that no longer have classes , will be at the work outs and mini camps... contract or no. There just is no real advantage to having a contract signed now. He is going to get around 24 million... all guaranteed . The Colts will push for the 5th year option and the two sides will dicker over odds and ends. Other than it being "nice to have the guys under contract" , there is not much advantage to having the rookies signed before training camp in July. From what I understand , with the new CBA , there isn't enough negotiating left after the "slotting" process for there to be nay hard feelings over contract negotiatons. But I could be full of beans and not know what I'm talking about.

Btw... I only have a post or two left (probation) , so if I don't answer something ... it's because I can't.

Totally agree. Just saying since Luck can't participate til training camp that eliminated the hurry. It could become a distraction for players and I would rather it be done before training camp. Kids don't need to be worrying if they are going to get paid...they need to have their money so they can fully 100% put their mind on their work. No half speed crap or anything else.

That is just my opinion. I understand we have to negotiate but lets be real....the hard numbers are out of the way. Get them signed and let them get going full steam.