Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Freeney to Tampa?

Rebelknight

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeney is a Tampa 2 DE...If we can get something for him now why not? If he is hurt or useless in the 3-4 hybrid Defense the Colts just spent 19mil for a one year trial. Nobody knows how Freeney will do in the new D. I like Freeney and I am thankful for all he has done for Indy. He is 32 has 2 or 3 years at most left. He gets hurt rushing from the end. Now we are going to have him standup in space? Only reason Irsay said we arent trading him is because nobody did trade for him. He is trying to save face.

Ok, but will they be willing to lose 19M dollars in cap space... No.

Wouldn't they only lose $14M since the Colts would still be on the hook for the $5M in bonus money? I'm also very sure they could work out a new deal with Dwight so that $14M would simply be rolled over into a new contract and his Cap hit for them would be much lower.

That said though, if we can't get a 3rd round pick for him then I'd rather just wait it out and let him go in FA next year if we're going to cut ties with him. I'd be surprised if we got anything less than a 3rd round compensatory pick for him if we let him go in FA so I'd rather take that than a lower draft pick in a trade now.

A 4th or 5th round pick isn't enough to get back from him. I would rather keep him than trade him for a 4th or 5th rounder. Pagano and Grigs both seem excited for his ability to play in the 3-4.

This. Unless you can get true value that equals what it will be on the field with him you hang onto him and let him play. 2nd round pick is the least I'd let him go for. I personally think he's going to be awesome.

We should give the dude a chance and show a little faith that Pagano will put him in a position to make plays. I'm psyched to see what Dwight can bring to the defense this year, and I'm not quite sure why people are writing it off like he's a nobody. He's still our most talented defender and has one year left- let's at least give it a trial run instead of shipping him off for peanuts. Who knows, maybe it works out and he stays for a hometown discount like Reggie did.

Hes untradeable, if it was gonna happen then it would have happened around draft time or during the draft itself nobody is going to trade for a 32 year old 14 million dollar player whos got one year left on his deal (that last part is the key) regardless whether he works out or not he is untradeable as a matter of fact I wonder if this year will be his last year, I seriously dont see him getting a big deal again he will be 33 at the end of the year

Freeney is a Tampa 2 DE...If we can get something for him now why not? If he is hurt or useless in the 3-4 hybrid Defense the Colts just spent 19mil for a one year trial. Nobody knows how Freeney will do in the new D. I like Freeney and I am thankful for all he has done for Indy. He is 32 has 2 or 3 years at most left. He gets hurt rushing from the end. Now we are going to have him standup in space? Only reason Irsay said we arent trading him is because nobody did trade for him. He is trying to save face.

You don't know what freeney is, he could very well be the best LB the colts will have at pass rushing... you don't trade your best pass rusher in ages because you THINK he's not gonna fit.

We would save cap this year but for what? get a 5th round next year? Without even seeing what Freeney can do in a 3-4?

I was for trading him for picks this year, but for next year it doesn't make sense to me. I see that your looking to the future but trying him out for the year is planning for the future as well.

You don't know what freeney is, he could very well be the best LB the colts will have at pass rushing... you don't trade your best pass rusher in ages because you THINK he's not gonna fit.

Well said. The trade deadline, I believe, is week 6. So we have more than a month to see how he does in practice and in games at his new position. If he shows potential, we could keep him for the next 4 or 5 years. If he seems completely lost and out of place and the coaches don't think there is much hope for him in a 3-4, then we can trade him.

why in the world would you trade possibly our best player? haven't we had enough of losing all our best players this offseason?

I wouldn't trade Freeney for the entire Tampa roster.

I would gladly trade him for Nicks. Nicks is much younger and his contract is much more friendly than Freeney's

We would save cap this year but for what? get a 5th round next year? Without even seeing what Freeney can do in a 3-4?

I was for trading him for picks this year, but for next year it doesn't make sense to me. I see that your looking to the future but trying him out for the year is planning for the future as well.

I seriously doubt Freeney is part of the future of this team. He is getting older, getting injured more and his value(as a pass rushing DE) is obsolete on this defense. If a team is willing to take on his salary and give us draft picks/players in return, I don't see the problem with it. It would also give the Colts some space in their salary cap to fill other needs. I don't think it's going to happen and I am interested to see how he does as a LB, but let's not lie to ourselves and say keeping Freeney makes sense for the sake of the future.

If we think we are a playoff team in 2012 then keep him...

If we do not feel that is realistic....then a trade is good...

If we play very well in 2012 and look like a playoff team in 2013...

...Dwight wont be here unless he takes a SEVERE reduction in salary....or just LOVES the new 'D'

How many of us feel that's likely?

How likely was it that Reggie re-signed for a hometown discount to retire a Colt? He won't be here 5 years from now, but I'm glad he's on our team for 2012. For Freeney, having him still gives us a better chance to win every week because we don't have a competent replacement yet and there's not a better way to spend the money this year.

I don't view 2012 as a throwaway year for us. Dumping Freeney for a late round pick so a guy who's not half as good as he is can start is sending a message to the team (and the fans) that we don't care about winning this year. It's sending the message that it doesn't matter if we lose some games because Jerry Hughes is playing instead of Dwight, and it's getting rid of talent we can afford to keep.

That's a dangerous message to send to a young team.

If Hughes plays lights out and impresses everyone going into the season, then we can make that move. If he plays the same as he always has, dumping Dwight for nothing will just make the team worse and hurt the locker room.

They have a need with Bowers going down. They also have plenty of cap space. Perhaps we could get a 4th or a 5th pick for him. During the draft it seems that 5th round picks were the most coveted...

Yes. I would pass on getting a first rounder so I could have a 4th or 5th. glad colts fo doesn't think like some fans

I think what it comes down to is pretty simple

1. He has one year left on his contract

2. He is making 14 million dollars this year

3.He will be 33 by the end of this year

What does that all mean? at this point he is untradeable unless we want a 5th or 6th round pick, But here is the thing, look at some of the guys that fell that late or even later this past draft, Alfonso Dennard and Trevin Wade, in my opinion regardless if its a late round pick the trade is worth it, will it happen though? No not in my opinion, we have him that means teams still have to account for him at all times (maybe not like they used to, we shall see). I been trying and trying to justify paying a guy 14 million dollars for one year vs trading him for a late round pick, ya do it.

we wouldnt get a high pick for him for a combination of three reasons

1.He will be 33 at the end of the season

2.He is do a total of 19 million dollars

3.He has one year left on his deal (and probably the biggest reason)

The Ravens Hybrid D ran a 4-3 front over 50% of the time. Few would argue Freeney is one od the best 4-3 DE in the league. So he is a great fit there. When the tean lines uo 3-4, Freeney will still be rushing the passer but from different locations. Why do poeople think he will struggle with this. If there is an alignment where both OLB have to cover, Freeney wont be out there. I am more concerned about Mathis. He does have to drop back in coverage as well as play run and rush passer.