Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Freeney to Tampa?

Rebelknight

Everyone wanting a Comp pick for Freeney after we let him walk forgets that there is a crazy formula for how high of a pick we would get. If Freeney doesnt put up any kind of numbers we get at most a 6th round pick. That is unless we sign/Draft someone to take his spot. I think we got a 5th for Clint Session...

Also keep in mind that we got a 2nd and 5th for a 26 year old ( I think ) Running Back who was in his prime. No way we would get anything higher than a 4th round pick...

My hope is that Freeney takes to the new position and dominates and signs a resonable 3 year contract at some point.

I believe the highest comp pick you get for a player who has been in the league 10 years is a 5th rounder. In any event, the prospect of a comp pick in the 2014 draft (at best pick #97) in exchange for paying a player $14 million for one season isn't that attractive to me. I think you either trade or extend Freeney.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I believe you can automatically roll cap space over year-to-year in the new CBA.

2) I don't think it matters anyway because teams (including the Colts) would roll it over year-to-year previously using phony LTBE/NLTBE incentives under the old CBA.

I wonder about #1. I know teams can do that with this year's cap space, but after this year doesn't the salary floor kick in? Wouldn't be a very effective rule if you could roll cap space over. And how many years in a row could you do that? Eventually you wind up with a cap significantly higher than the league-wide cap.

I thought you were awarded a compensatory pick based on the round that you drafted the player you lost

for example Dwight Freeney was a first round pick so I thought if we let him go after this season then we get a pick equal to the value with which we drafted him

I thought you were awarded a compensatory pick based on the round that you drafted the player you lost

for example Dwight Freeney was a first round pick so I thought if we let him go after this season then we get a pick equal to the value with which we drafted him

EDIT: wrong link

Here, I don't feel like reading, but it might explain it here.

http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162331

Nope. Compensatory picks don't get awarded until after the third round, so the highest compensatory pick you can possibly get is essentially the 33rd pick in the 3rd round (#97 overall). It was #95 this season because the Saints lost their second rounder and the Raiders forfeited their third rounder by selecting Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft in 2011. Ironically, that first supplemental pick went to the Raiders, so they basically traded down 18 spots in the third round to draft Pryor (at least that's one way of looking at it; actually, they still would have received that supplemental pick even if they hadn't given up their third rounder for Pryor, and rumor has it that no other team bid anything higher than a fifth rounder for him, so they overpaid by at least a round).

On top of that, the formula for determining what pick you're awarded depends on several variables, and the round the player you lost was picked in is not one of those variables. Some of those variables are the value of the contract they received from their new team, how the player performs with the new team, and any awards the player receives in the coming season.

Another thing to consider is that the NFL doesn't award a supplemental pick higher than a fifth rounder for a player who is a ten year vet. That's not 100% verified by a credible source, but when I read it I went back and looked at the picks awarded over the past few years, and it seems to hold up. So the highest compensatory pick we'd get for Freeney, if that's true, is a fifth rounder (around #170). We could probably trade him for a fifth rounder and save $14 million. That's the primary reason why this whole compensatory pick business isn't a part of the equation.

http://www.nfl.com/d...cks-to-15-clubs

........i totally agree here. you rebuild with youth and speed, and his best days are behind him. i think the only reason he's here is because no one was willing to pick up the tab......

Well yeah if you ignore the whole Pagano talking about how much he likes Freeney in the new defense bit...

Honestly if the Colts didn't want him here even if they couldn't find someone to trade him too they would have just released him like they did with guys like Clark, Brackett, and Addai. So clearly they are keeping him beyond the well no one else wants him so we have to keep him.

Well yeah if you ignore the whole Pagano talking about how much he likes Freeney in the new defense bit...

Honestly if the Colts didn't want him here even if they couldn't find someone to trade him too they would have just released him like they did with guys like Clark, Brackett, and Addai. So clearly they are keeping him beyond the well no one else wants him so we have to keep him.

I think the real issue isnt whether we will keep him or not, I think we are clearly going to keep him but more the issue is, how well he will fit in the system, Height weight wise Suggs only has two inches on Freeney, Freeney weighs eight more pounds, I think when he will struggle the most is when a running back right by him or at him, we will have to see if he can make the tackle

I think the real issue isnt whether we will keep him or not, I think we are clearly going to keep him but more the issue is, how well he will fit in the system, Height weight wise Suggs only has two inches on Freeney, Freeney weighs eight more pounds, I think when he will struggle the most is when a running back right by him or at him, we will have to see if he can make the tackle

I don't think the colts are going to ask him to play the run much. They are going to ask him to rush the passer like ware is in Dallas. I think people are making way to big of a deal about Freeney in space I don't think we are going to see it much. No Freeney isn't good vs the run but that's not what he's paid to do that's like complaining that Peyton manning isn't a good runner it's not really what you are wanting the player to do.

I don't think the colts are going to ask him to play the run much. They are going to ask him to rush the passer like ware is in Dallas. I think people are making way to big of a deal about Freeney in space I don't think we are going to see it much. No Freeney isn't good vs the run but that's not what he's paid to do that's like complaining that Peyton manning isn't a good runner it's not really what you are wanting the player to do.

well I know he will be primarily rushing the passer thats what he does well but I am certain he will have to cover when we play teams that also use two tight end sets (Patriots)

well I know he will be primarily rushing the passer thats what he does well but I am certain he will have to cover when we play teams that also use two tight end sets (Patriots)

Would you ask Dwight Freeney to cover one of the Patriots tight ends?

It's far more likely that we play a higher percentage of four-down sets against teams that use two tight ends than that we ask Dwight Freeney to cover Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez.

of course teams are going to try to get him in mismatches. What you don't think that happen before? That's why teams ran right at him.

Let me ask you this if we dumped Freeney who do you start at OLB in his place and will they be better than what Freeney gives you? With Freeney you know what you have in terms of being a pass rusher. If we cut him that means the other OLB is one of two people. Conner and if he moves to the OLB we now needed another MLB and since in a 3-4 the primary job of a OLB is to rush a passer Conner is now out of position. The other option is Hughes. A player who has done about as much in the NFL as I have and is no where close to being on the same level as Dwight Freeney.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact the Colts have said they want to use a hybrid defense I think you are still going to see Freeney at his end spot and like I said before you know what kind of respect he demands there. We might very well take him off he field in some 3-4 packages. It's not like Freeney plays every play of every game anyways. That's why you have coaches to figure out how you adjust to a team like the Pats who would try to get Freeney in coverage. They might very well handles the Pats tightends by playing a 4-3 nickle and then Freeney is at his old DE poistion to get after the QB and you don't have to worry about him covering anyone.