Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which CB did we miss out on?

then it would have been kirkpatrick because he was the one taken before Harrison, and I can tell you right now there was no way Kirkpatrick was going to fall to us, I'd say however Bills picking Gilmore was a bit of a surprise

Never mind it was Definately Casey Heyward.

Those 3 picks in order would have about have of us HAving correct mock drafts. Those are the top 3 most of us wanted rounds 1-3 Luck, Fleener and Heyward.

The CB's went way faster than we tought apparently, but I think we should have Passed on allen, Traded down and picked up Flemmin in the 3rd.

Looking at the draft results only Casey Hayward or Asa Jackson seem to make sense with what Pagano said. And I guess I'd lean towards Hayward because Grigson seemed to make taking Dwayne Allen (after Hayward) was a no-brainer steal, but he could just stating the obvious and going through formalities. No one wants to say, oh well we didn't really want the guy we got, we wanted so-and-so, but we're still pretty happy with the guy we got.

gthatch15 is right... first one was Casey Hayward... Green Bay got him at 62.. thus we took Dwayne Allen at the top of the third..

ravens took Asa " Ace" Jackson in the 5th the pick right in front if us we picked Vick Ballard... this is the one that I heard that Pagano got ticked and left the room.. would make sense.. his former team and the analysis have said Asa is like a young Ed Reed..

good news they tried to draft two and had done their due diligence.. I do not think they drafted anyone they brought in for visits or workouts other than Luck

I had more that I would have chosen, but my guess is they didn't feel like they would be a big improvement with what we currently have thus they drafted others.. this tells me they see talent and it can and will be better than we have seen.. IMHO

• 1 month later...

Some of the names have already been mentioned.... I saw one story on another Colts website and other stories had bit and pieces of information but it wasn't hard to piece together....

Hayward of Vanderbilt was taken by Green Bay at the bottom of the 2nd round. We took Allen at the top of the 3rd.

Then, two corners, Fleming of Oklahoma and Bentley from Louisiana-Lafayette went before we could grab them and we took Hilton instead at the bottom of the 3rd. As for Jackson from Cal Poly to the Ravens, literally that was the pick right in front of Indy where we took Ballard at the bottom of the 5th. This is the first time I've heard that. Not saying it's not the case. Only that I hadn't read that anywhere else. I suspect we're quite content with Ballard who we took with the next pick.

But, there it is..... we did make attempts at getting a corner, it just didn't work out. I suspect our luck (no pun intended) will be better in this area in the years to come...

So if Green Bay took the first choice CB, why didn't we take our 2nd choice CB straight away instead of Allen? I do believe our defence will be better this season than last anyway--rather than playing a loose marking zone style, they will go more for a man on man style thereby adding greater pressure to opposing WR.

jenoris jenkins was a steal

On pure talent alone, yes, he's a big, big steal. But Jenkins has lots and lots and lots of off the field issues that make his selection.... a risk. The question is how big? Every team passed in the first round. And half the 2nd round was passed.

The Rams think they can handle him. More power to them if they're right. Their first 6 picks all have a larger downside factor to them than the picks of most teams. Higher risk, higher reward. The Rams must feel they have the coaching staff and other players to handle these young players. If they do, massive payoff. But, if not, then those are speed bumps to drive over....

The Lions have already had issues with their first 3 picks. Drinking and marijuana. Already. Some of these kids are very unpredictable. It's why so many teams have character as a big factor in deciding whether or not to take someone.

Some of the names have already been mentioned.... I saw one story on another Colts website and other stories had bit and pieces of information but it wasn't hard to piece together....

Hayward of Vanderbilt was taken by Green Bay at the bottom of the 2nd round. We took Allen at the top of the 3rd.

Then, two corners, Fleming of Oklahoma and Bentley from Louisiana-Lafayette went before we could grab them and we took Hilton instead at the bottom of the 3rd. As for Jackson from Cal Poly to the Ravens, literally that was the pick right in front of Indy where we took Ballard at the bottom of the 5th. This is the first time I've heard that. Not saying it's not the case. Only that I hadn't read that anywhere else. I suspect we're quite content with Ballard who we took with the next pick.

But, there it is..... we did make attempts at getting a corner, it just didn't work out. I suspect our luck (no pun intended) will be better in this area in the years to come...

I made a point of the Hilton pick in another thread. IMO , if there was a QB issue in round 3- 4 , it was before the Colts traded back into the 3rd round to take Hilton. You don't trade up and miss the guy you wanted. There is no way Grigson makes that trade "ahead of time" hoping one of those CB's you mention will be there. The trades are made when the pick is on the clock for sure.

Because in the eyes of the FO the TE we took was better than our second choice CB...?

Grigson made a huge point that he doeasn't reach for players because of needs. I guess what he's saying is something like "do I take a TE that can help the offense or take the CB that probably cannot contribute much." The only problem I see with taking two TE's this high is this. Let's assume both these guys pan out and are great. They are both free agents after the 2015 season and it's pretty tough to spend a whle lot of money at the TE position. So assuming youe selected the two best T's in the draft , you probably are going to lose one of them after 5 years. Maybe similar situation to NE with the two TE's they selected 2 years ago ? Although Hernadez was selected almost a round later than Allen , it's a little similar. Point is that I think Hernandez will probably be worth more than the Pats will be able to pay him at the end of next year. I think this situation might be a little less important for the Pats as Hernandez was a middle 4th rounder and Brady will be around 37 then , so maybe their window is a bit shorter than the Colts.

I made a point of the Hilton pick in another thread. IMO , if there was a QB issue in round 3- 4 , it was before the Colts traded back into the 3rd round to take Hilton. You don't trade up and miss the guy you wanted. There is no way Grigson makes that trade "ahead of time" hoping one of those CB's you mention will be there. The trades are made when the pick is on the clock for sure.

DW...

I think you generally make a good point.... you typically make a trade for a specific player when you're on the clock. Typically, but I don't think always...

A couple of examples.... you've got a team that has contacted you and said, they've got another offer and need to know ASAP, otherwise they've got to take the other deal. And the other possibility, is when you're trading up with not one player in mind, but rather with several players in mind. If you can't get the corner you want, you'll take the WR with speed. That type of thing.

I don't know if either of these things happened with the pick the Colts traded for to take Hilton, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Just thinking out loud..... seems plausible to me....

DW...

I think you generally make a good point.... you typically make a trade for a specific player when you're on the clock. Typically, but I don't think always...

A couple of examples.... you've got a team that has contacted you and said, they've got another offer and need to know ASAP, otherwise they've got to take the other deal. And the other possibility, is when you're trading up with not one player in mind, but rather with several players in mind. If you can't get the corner you want, you'll take the WR with speed. That type of thing.

I don't know if either of these things happened with the pick the Colts traded for to take Hilton, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Just thinking out loud..... seems plausible to me....

I've neve been in a war room , but I just don't think teams trade up into spots before the pick is on the clock. Mostly for the obvious reason that you probably have a specific player in mind ... maybe 2 at the most. Also you might want to follow what would be a "typical" scenario. You might be 5 spots from drafting and there coud be two players you have rated the same. Why would you want to waste a pick moving up if one of thsoe might be available if you just stay pat. Also the trades are never announced as soon as the pick is on the clock , so one would think the trade is not competed until the pick is on the clock. Not saying impossible but I think your scenario is highly unlikley. When you say "they have another offer " why would "another" team being trading into a spot without knowing what players are going to come off the board before the pick is on the board .

As far as the Hilton pick , Grigson publically stated in his post draft interview that he decided to trade up for Hilton and said that he felt that if the team stayed at pick 4.2 there was a chance Hilton would be gone.If they traded up for a corner or one of 3-4 players , he would sound pretty foolish to those with him in the Colt war room.

I've neve been in a war room , but I just don't think teams trade up into spots before the pick is on the clock. Mostly for the obvious reason that you probably have a specific player in mind ... maybe 2 at the most. Also you might want to follow what would be a "typical" scenario. You might be 5 spots from drafting and there coud be two players you have rated the same. Why would you want to waste a pick moving up if one of thsoe might be available if you just stay pat. Also the trades are never announced as soon as the pick is on the clock , so one would think the trade is not competed until the pick is on the clock. Not saying impossible but I think your scenario is highly unlikley. When you say "they have another offer " why would "another" team being trading into a spot without knowing what players are going to come off the board before the pick is on the board .

As far as the Hilton pick , Grigson publically stated in his post draft interview that he decided to trade up for Hilton and said that he felt that if the team stayed at pick 4.2 there was a chance Hilton would be gone.If they traded up for a corner or one of 3-4 players , he would sound pretty foolish to those with him in the Colt war room.

DW....

I think you're likely right.... and I'd guess that's the way it happens almost all the time. Perhaps as high as 95-98% of the time. Again, not trying to be argumentative. But sum teams are much, much better at reading the draft and understanding the value of players. And some will move early because they know there are multiple players they value and one will be there. So, they'll take the plunge knowing that they'll get one of them.

Hope that clarifies....

DW....

I think you're likely right.... and I'd guess that's the way it happens almost all the time. Perhaps as high as 95-98% of the time. Again, not trying to be argumentative. But sum teams are much, much better at reading the draft and understanding the value of players. And some will move early because they know there are multiple players they value and one will be there. So, they'll take the plunge knowing that they'll get one of them.

Hope that clarifies....

Sure...I can't say that it's never been done or how unlikely it is to occur. My main point was that Grigson put out a lot of confusion when he said "we got into position." The only trade he made was trading up to the 3rd and he bragged about that move . It was completly clear that he traded up for Hilton as he went on to say they later were told they would have lost him if they waited until pick 4.2. There was no CB that went a "pick or two" before the Cots selected Hilton. So when he says the Colts "got into position ' it should have been " we WERE in position" to take the CB.This was posible in the second and 5th rounds. As far as the trade , there is no way the Colts traded into pick 92 and missed the CB. There was a CB taken by Detriot at pick 85. If he traded into pick 92 and the player he wanted went 7 picks before that , we are in really big trouble.

But I'm cool with you saying there probably is an occasional trade into a spot that isn't on the clock. Could be and I cant say never because I really dont know. However some are still say he might have traded up to get a CB and if that happened we have a true "not smart guy" for a GM.

The Colts picked 29th when they traded up, Dwight Bentley was the last Corner to go before we picked and Bentley went at 22, before that the Cardinals picked Jamell Fleming at 17 now if we would have kept our 4th round pick we could gotten Brandon Boykin but snce we didnt have a 4th, Boykin went 28th in that round to the Eagles, I dont know much of anything about Bentley but I would have been very happy with Boykin who not only can play Corner very well but also returns Punts quite good as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oH3ZVxQV8

Sure...I can't say that it's never been done or how unlikely it is to occur. My main point was that Grigson put out a lot of confusion when he said "we got into position." The only trade he made was trading up to the 3rd and he bragged about that move . It was completly clear that he traded up for Hilton as he went on to say they later were told they would have lost him if they waited until pick 4.2. There was no CB that went a "pick or two" before the Cots selected Hilton. So when he says the Colts "got into position ' it should have been " we WERE in position" to take the CB.This was posible in the second and 5th rounds. As far as the trade , there is no way the Colts traded into pick 92 and missed the CB. There was a CB taken by Detriot at pick 85. If he traded into pick 92 and the player he wanted went 7 picks before that , we are in really big trouble.

But I'm cool with you saying there probably is an occasional trade into a spot that isn't on the clock. Could be and I cant say never because I really dont know. However some are still say he might have traded up to get a CB and if that happened we have a true "not smart guy" for a GM.

The corner that was reportedly missed by a pick or two is one that went to Green Bay, Casey Heyward of Vanderbilt, I think is the name. Went with the 2nd to last pick of the 2nd round. Reportedly, Grigson wanted him at the top of the 3rd. When Heyward was picked, the Colts took Allen.

Comments about missing by a couple of picks were not intended for the Hilton pick. I know the last corner before we took Hilton was a good ways away. My main source of info on this was a story on the Stampedge Blue written by a scout who basically said that was the buzz around the NFL about it.... that we tried twice and missed twice.

It's not gospel.... but that was the view from NFL people....

The corner that was reportedly missed by a pick or two is one that went to Green Bay, Casey Heyward of Vanderbilt, I think is the name. Went with the 2nd to last pick of the 2nd round. Reportedly, Grigson wanted him at the top of the 3rd. When Heyward was picked, the Colts took Allen.

Comments about missing by a couple of picks were not intended for the Hilton pick. I know the last corner before we took Hilton was a good ways away. My main source of info on this was a story on the Stampedge Blue written by a scout who basically said that was the buzz around the NFL about it.... that we tried twice and missed twice.

I would have been happier with Boykin, the knock on Boykin I think would have been he is only 5'9"

Right , if you read all my posts , what I said was the two corners that the Indy Star and or Grigson talked about missing were in the 2nd and 5th rounds. The CB's went right before we selected Allen and Ballard. By name they are Casey Heyward as you mention and the other would be Asa Jackson.