Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli preparing for SNL

Peyton and Eli fan

article about what Peyton thinks about Eli hosting SNL. Sounds like they filmed a commercial together today - with Peyton wearing a Broncos uniform. So, you'll get to see that official site prior to football starting. Though my guess it's a spot for NBC advertising the Wed night and Sunday night games for week 1.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-giants-eli-manning-two-time-super-bowl-champion-prepares-host-saturday-night-live-article-1.1069320

Since the Manning boys seem to be fond of the Karokee bar, a perfect SNL skit would be for him to sing "Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys". Made famous by Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson.

Altering the lyrics to take a couple of shots and mocking Dallas while stressing the recent NYG Super Bowl title would be pretty funny.

Eli Manning's personality is so quiet, shy, & self reserved that I must admit I am curious to see his comedic side emerge full throttle. The SNL appearance will be intriguing to watch for sure.

I like Fire Jim Caldwell's idea of poking fun of their division rival the Dallas Cowboys with a Willie Nelson classic. I love it when the silver star plummets myself. Dallas is the team I love to hate.

Nothing against that specific squad personally; I just grow tired of ESPN NFL analysts singing that teams praises every single year despite the fact that they haven't won a Superbowl since 1996.

Eli Manning's personality is so quiet, shy, & self reserved that I must admit I am curious to see his comedic side emerge full throttle. The SNL appearance will be intriguing to watch for sure.

I like Fire Jim Caldwell's idea of poking fun of their division rival the Dallas Cowboys with a Willie Nelson classic. I love it when the silver star plummets myself. Dallas is the team I love to hate.

Nothing against that specific squad personally; I just grow tired of ESPN NFL analysts singing that teams praises every single year despite the fact that they haven't won a Superbowl since 1996.

He's reserved but to hear some teammates tell it he's the biggest prankster on the team. Keys need to be locked up. Cell phones don't need to be left on tables. I think this will be the first SNL i'll watch this season. I've seen bits of other shows, but this is the only one I've actually looked forward to seeing.

It was good but I still think Peyton's was funnier in my opinion. But Peyton had a better supporting cast than Eli did. Maybe if Eli had done it the year after Peyton he would have had the supporting cast that Peyton had and it would have been better. JMO of course. I'm not a fan of SNL anymore it's not as funny as it used to be.

I can still see that locker room skit in my mind when I think of SNL. :lol:

sorry jim no way eli was better than peyton. the united way and locker room dance was hilarious. now, if they had peyton in the trunk in elis skit, that would have been freakin funny. the courtroom was funny, but as others have said this cast at snl now just sucks. only one thats funny is the news. other than that they are awful. kristen wigg drives me nuts.

I caught a bit of it. Pretty funny. The court room was pretty good. "you out." you out. Sup. you out. Hehe.

The opening monologue had a few good bits. I'm glad you asked. It's called the Olive Garden. It's great.

I thought Eli did great. As usual, it's not fair to compare him to Peyton. Compare him to the average athlete on the show, and he really did well. They put him in every sketch except the opening I think.

The Big Brothers skit was the best, but I also really enjoyed the TD celebration skit.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/motion-capture/1400072

train.....wreck

Was not....He's getting good reviews from all of the entertainment sites. you have to judge it based on how people who aren't actors or comedians do hosting and he did very well. A lot of the skits weren't funny, but that's par for the course on SNL. There's never more than 2 or 3 memorable ones.

Trust me. I love Eli Manning. If I knew him, Im sure I'd think he's a funny dude.

When it comes to Eli on my tv, however, from now on I just want to watch him throw tds. Not act out scripted comedy.

Was not....He's getting good reviews from all of the entertainment sites. you have to judge it based on how people who aren't actors or comedians do hosting and he did very well. A lot of the skits weren't funny, but that's par for the course on SNL. There's never more than 2 or 3 memorable ones.

Thanks for the link. The varying comments made me curious enough to check it out. I saw the monologue and the first 2-3 skits, and I thought that he was terrific. He was a little nervous during the opening, but the skits that I saw he completely embraced the idiocy thrown on his plate and made it as funny as I could imagine any non-comedian making it. Other athletes might be nervous, stuttering, obviously reading from a cue card, just being stone faced/stiff, or in general acting like they were "too tough" to play the fool. He relished it and threw himself in both in word, body movement and facial expression. His timing (amongst other things) was good. I can't imagine what more anyone could expect from him.

As you said, whether the skits were "that funny" is an entirely different matter - and that's on the writers - period. I've probably watched a total of five hours of SNL since the 70s. It's rarely as good as it really should be to justify the network time slot. I really don't care for it or about it - but that's hardly Eli's responsibility.

I will acknowledge that an celebrity hosting SNL is only as good as the writers creating the comedic skits themselves. Therefore, I don't blame Eli Manning entirely. That being said, Eli Manning does not have knack for improvisation or humorous material before a live audience. Everything feels forced & unnatural with Eli. Some individuals can deliver a punch line with exceptional timing. Eli isn't one of those individuals IMO.

SNL feels old, outdated, & obsolete. MAD TV in their first 5-7 seasons was brilliant & the writing was cutting edge. SNL peaked with a young Eddie Murphy & Chris Rock if you ask me. Time to put SNL on the chopping block in my estimation.

Eli Manning fell flat on his face & nothing was funny not even the Little Brothers routine. Again, poor writing & a lack of script creativity is largely responsible for this lack luster performance. Generally, quiet, soft spoken people are not cut out for public interaction & applause. Privately, in the confines of a locker room, Eli may be a riot among his team mates. Publicly in a TV studio not so much...That's the nicest way I can put it.