Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

I keep typing this in many of my responses lately but He's either gonna sink or swim so I honestly am not bothered by the drama.

He definitely lost the respect of a lot of football fans/people though. Several of my football friends who liked him in general have texted me bad mouthing him.

Go Colts with or without AR.. Lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True story: I remember reading in the news years ago that a 40 yr old man wanted to prove he was tough and not soft because his friends were calling him soft, It was a 4th of July party, and this guy bit down on a blackjack firecracker and lit it. It blew half his teeth out and destroyed his jaw. That is how dumb even 40yr olds are.

(Shaking my head) We have some really insecure people out there. But this is what some people seem to value. It is nuts. Give me health over toughness.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear about my thoughts for AR…..

While I don’t have an issue for a one play tap out I do have tons of issues with the young man.   You can fill a shopping cart with them.  

He’s not a good passer. 
He’s got bad foot work.  
His pre-snap reads are poor. 

His post-snap reads are worse.  
His self awareness is poor.  

I hope Ballard talks to him Monday. 
I hope Shane talks to him Monday. 
I hope Jim Bob talks to him Monday.  

I’m not looking to kill the kid’s confidence, but he needs a very cold shower and needs to change his perspective on being the quarterback for a franchise of Unitas, Manning, Luck and even Harbaugh. 

When you’re in a close game where you’ve played horribly, and you run for a first down, try not to celebrate that like it’s a big achievement. 

I think we’re all in for some tough times for at least the next year and a half, maybe even longer.   Wish it wasn’t so.  

I'll concede this:  I can imagine someone like Alec Pierce coming to the sidelines and saying, "Geez, guys, I just ran downfield 60 yards full speed for three straight plays.  Can I just take a play and get some oxygen?"  I would think that is totally understandable.  And Richardson, being the unicorn player that he his, may wind up having similar moments as well.

However, I can't help but see this event with the backdrop of other events.  His writhing on the ground holding his hip while there's a live ball (his own fumble) being fought over, and then wanting back in the game two plays later.  His apparent acquiescence to the team holding him out another game due to "injury".  When in the same game, Pittman insists on playing, even though he's got back pains that should have sidelined him for multiple games.

It smells of privilege.  Like he hasn't had to fight against competition just to be allowed to play.  Like he's always been handed the starting job, and never had to beat the guy in front of him to get it.  Like he knows that no matter what he does, or says, or how he performs, he'll never lose the starting job.  Not ever.  (No, I don't know this for sure.  It just feels like it.)

I also can't help it, when I survey my own feelings about AR, that I hear Annette Benning from The American President:  "Mr. President, you have a lot bigger things than that to think about.  You didn't just lose me as a girlfriend.  You lost my vote."

• Thanks 1

I have to think but I remember Randall Cunningham being tired after running around like crazy on a previous play, coming out for 1 play then coming back in when he played for the Vikings. Only reason I remember that is, my father and I were watching the game, and he thought Randall was injured. I think it was against the Bucs in 1998.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah... I hope he doesn't go the opposite extreme and throw his body into dangerous situations just to make a point... and get injured again... 

I am more concerned about how 22 year old AR handles the adversity mentally. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ve see stafford stay in with a dislocated shoulder and throw a game winning td…..Jim Harbaugh played with a turnstile oline…most qbs fight to stay in even if they are injured…...so yeah it does seem a bit soft when Richardson comes out bc he’s tired. I’m sure it left a sour taste in his teammates mouth as well…

Did you see Mike Chappelle's post. He said Harbaugh asked out once when it seems he was tired. No injury.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

(Shaking my head) We have some really insecure people out there. But this is what some people seem to value. It is nuts. Give me health over toughness.

chuckling homer simpson GIF- I can picture it now, the guy was probably hammered and said something like - look fella's, watch this haha 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the more comical things are the Ravens losing to the Browns and the Jets losing to the Pats. Those are the big stories. This story with AR is a non-issue with me. AR playing bad is a story.

Bengals season being dead as well. 

But yeah... wth Jets... lol...

• Like 1

Did you see Mike Chappelle's post. He said Harbaugh asked out once when it seems he was tired. No injury.

Yeah I’m surprised. I don’t recall that but I’m sure he’s not wrong. Still rubs me the wrong way and I’m sure it rubs his  teammates the wrong way.

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But to do something like THAT to prove that he is not "soft" seems like someone who is very insecure and would put his life in danger to prove his toughness. That is nuts. That does not come across as toughness to me. I can't imagine someone wanting to impress me with doing something so inane.

Not sure what you read.  It was his hand over a candle, not really life threatening.  Probably just a palm blister.

But to answer your original question, I think toughness in football can be defined as the fear of losing being worse than the pain taken to win.  Subjective for each person.

Just now, JediXMan said:

The GM isn’t forcing the coach to play AR. Rex Ryan is a joke with his fake teeth l.

Forcing?  I think Shane would probably have to clear it with Ballard before he sat the 4th pick in the draft.  Lay out his reasons.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah I’m surprised. I don’t recall that but I’m sure he’s not wrong. Still rubs me the wrong way and I’m sure it rubs his  teammates the wrong way.

Okay. I think if someone is tired and is likely to hurt the team because he is feeling tired, I think it is the responsible thing to do to ask out. JMO

• Like 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

Okay. I think if someone is tired and is likely to hurt the team because he is feeling tired, I think it is the responsible thing to do to ask out. JMO

Seriously? Shane said they were going to hand the ball off on the next play anyway. So this guy is so tired He can’t stand out there and hand the ball to the running back.? Come on!

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not sure what you read.  It was his hand over a candle, not really life threatening.  Probably just a palm blister.

It could have been a lot worse. It is ridiculous. It reminds me a bit of what Jason Pierre-Paul did. It was a silly thing to do to play with fireworks. It almost ended his career. Maybe he wanted to show his toughness??

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Seriously? Shane said they were going to hand the ball off on the next play anyway. So this guy is so tired He can’t stand out there and hand the ball to the running back.? Come on!

Did he know they were going to hand the ball off? What if he fumbled?

We are going around in circles. Had he passed for 400+ yards with 4 TDs and the Colts won 45 to 17, this would not be an issue.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Did he know they were going to hand the ball off? What if he fumbled?

We are going around in circles. Had he passed for 400+ yards with 4 TDs and the Colts won 45 to 17, this would not be an issue.

we both know that isn’t going to happen with Richardson but I still think him taking himself out of the game would be an issue regardless.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Also I wonder if that was Harbaugh decision or the coach? 

Good question. We have no way to know. But had that been Richardson that was taken out, folks would say he is not tough, he is injured. In the game thread, when folks wrote about it, one comment I read said he is made of glass. The writer assumed it was injury.

Good question. We have no way to know. But had that been Richardson that was taken out, folks would say he is not tough, he is injured. In the game thread, when folks wrote about it, one comment I read said he is made of glass. The writer assumed it was injury.

He was tapping his head repeatedly so I thought he had another concussion.

I looked at the tackle and he didn't hit his head at all so where was the concussion I wondered

Then I found out he was tired

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Like I said earlier, Fair or Not, this is a narrative that he wont shake for a long time and he will never shake it if he bust...The PR people have let him down and so has the coaches(Coach says , AR if your asked, say you got the wind knocked out for a minute). They had to know this was going to be a problem...As I said earlier, The Colts are trying to top Reich and Carolina on writing the book on how to ruin a young QB within a year....BTW, this is exactly the problems you run into when there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY and SS taking the blame every week.

Jim harbaugh actually thanked Ditka for ripping his head off and holding him accountable for doing the same damn thing. SS will take the blame.

Then AR compounds it with talking about how he knows he's a great passer and the second best runner at the QB position?????Ohhhh Booyyyy!!! It just went from really bad to wayyyyy worse. I like AR but he's way in over his head and he has no clue what he's doing on or off the feild.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BCMak24 said:

Look at minshew now.....he was bad last year and he's worse with the raiders.....they're gonna ride it out with AR whether you like it or not so just deal with it

Gardner Minshew is a journeyman and a career backup who has enjoyed a limited amount of success when pressed into service due to injuries to the guy ahead of him on the depth chart, Joe Flacco is another journeyman but he is a former starter & franchise quarterback, a Superbowl MVP who led a team to the playoffs last season. Although their playing styles are different, Richardson could definitely learn alot from him and if we seriously want to make a run at the playoffs this season and not waste our time with guys like Buckner on the roster, a switch should be made. Anthony could be the #2  and Shane could design specific packages to get him into the game in spots and bring him along that way, but his age and inexperience keep showing themselves and proving that he is not yet ready to carry a team as it's franchise quarterback and a valuable resource like Joe Flacco should be utilized for the remainder of this season, if not re-signed after it. I think he would gladly stay here in a backup role, and he has a head full of knowledge, an accurate arm  and gas remaining in his tank.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have to think but I remember Randall Cunningham being tired after running around like crazy on a previous play, coming out for 1 play then coming back in when he played for the Vikings. Only reason I remember that is, my father and I were watching the game, and he thought Randall was injured. I think it was against the Bucs in 1998.

I will ask. That is too long ago to remember and I surely would not have had a problem.witn it. That Bucs game was the only game the Vikes lost in the regular season.

• Like 1

Trying to stay positive towards AR because I really like him and the human being he is. But I'm afraid he's beginning to look too "soft" to be a QB. He's a coach killer. First it was he doesn't like the cold and now this? Steichen is also beginning to wear thin with his decisions. I stated awhile back this org did him no favors by pumping him up with all the "freak of nature" talk. Handing the franchise QB keys over when he's clearly not ready is a big mistake. AR is fast, but he's not nimble. He can throw a ball in a bucket 60 yards away but can't make a layup. He doesn't play with tenacity, holding onto the ball and getting it ripped out of his hands. He's like the big overgrown kid at school who was actually weak. There's a difference. Some try to compare Peyton Mannings numbers his rookie year to AR. Peyton was groomed from birth to be a QB, hyped up at Tennessee and still struggled. AR is as raw as it gets and nowhere close, of course he's going to struggle. Playing him really isn't fair to him.  A learning year? Is that fair to the other 52 guys on the roster and the fans watching this mess this year? Regardless, the Colts are more than 1 season away from contending from anything. Start Flacco now, play to win the games, AR learns AND puts in the time learning/practicing with a hope he develops. Heck' let AR practice with the 1's all week if its a throw away learning year, Flacco still gives best chance to win coming off the bench with no practice        

• Like 1

1997 opening game at Miami.  Jim Harbaugh tapped out in the second half from being tired and exhausted. Paul Justin throws the final 13 passes in a 16-10 loss.  Due to a magical 1995 season Colts fans hold this mediocre QB and all around * in high regard. 

Does AR need to toughen up? Yes, but a little perspective.   He had run three consecutive plays took some hits and was out of breath. In the big picture it was a nothing burger. Hopefully, another learning experience. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I will ask. That is too long ago to remember and I surely would not have had a problem.witn it. That Bucs game was the only game the Vikes lost in the regular season.

That was the game, I am 99% sure. It happened so long ago. After that happened not 1 person in the media said anything, I am guessing because the Vikings were undefeated at the time. If you are winning, people forget 1 or 2 bad plays.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

1997 opening game at Miami.  Jim Harbaugh tapped out in the second half from being tired and exhausted. Paul Justin throws the final 13 passes in a 16-10 loss.  Due to a magical 1995 season Colts fans hold this mediocre QB and all around * in high regard. 

Does AR need to toughen up? Yes, but a little perspective.   He had run three consecutive plays took some hits and was out of breath. In the big picture it was a nothing burger. Hopefully, another learning experience. 

It's still not a good look, especially to his teammates who were out there and were just as, if not more tired. The quarterback by definition is the leader of a team, and by example is one of the best & most effective ways to lead. There was a saying floating around in the Corps that always resonated with me, and it was “If your men are cold, wet & hungry, then you'd better be too!” 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Like I said earlier, Fair or Not, this is a narrative that he wont shake for a long time and he will never shake it if he bust...The PR people have let him down and so has the coaches(Coach says , AR if your asked, say you got the wind knocked out for a minute). They had to know this was going to be a problem...As I said earlier, The Colts are trying to top Reich and Carolina on writing the book on how to ruin a young QB within a year....BTW, this is exactly the problems you run into when there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY and SS taking the blame every week.

Jim harbaugh actually thanked Ditka for ripping his head off and holding him accountable for doing the same damn thing. SS will take the blame.

Then AR compounds it with talking about how he knows he's a great passer and the second best runner at the QB position?????Ohhhh Booyyyy!!! It just went from really bad to wayyyyy worse. I like AR but he's way in over his head and he has no clue what he's doing on or off the feild.

I worry about the situation spiraling now. I fear he's in danger of the home crowd ramping up its booing if he's playing poorly and the offense isn't scoring, which would lead to more negative media attention.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Infante benched Harbaugh in that game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

It's still not a good look, especially to his teammates who were out there and were just as, if not more tired. The quarterback by definition is the leader of a team, and by example is one of the best & most effective ways to lead. There was a saying floating around in the Corps that always resonated with me, and it was “If your men are cold, wet & hungry, then you'd better be too!” 

You’re right it’s not a good look. However, it’s not the Corps, it’s a football game. Maybe, he thought he was making the right decision. Like I said, hopefully he learns a lesson.  Based on how Pittman played maybe he shouldn’t have been out there. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Infante benched Harbaugh in that game.

No he didn’t.  I clearly remember Harbaugh took himself out because he was exhausted. 

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I worry about the situation spiraling now. I fear he's in danger of the home crowd ramping up its booing if he's playing poorly and the offense isn't scoring, which would lead to more negative media attention.

Already happened last week ,remember? AR's response was he didn't know they were booing at him.....This kid has some serious denial issues and understanding certain protocols, media, self awareness and what it takes to lead and how his actions affect that leadership role not to mention the weight of a franchise QB on his back. Fair or not, AR is in for some hard times. Players like him cause GM's, coaches and players to get fired because it gets so bad so fast, there is no coming back from it. Some his fault, some probably not his fault. If he ever needed a crazy breakout game to save his career , it would be Sunday night in front of the world. If he bombs again, game over.