Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson 2 minute drive and after

twfish

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Remember we played against a back up QB and a third string QB.  Otherwise the score would not favor us... Still not sold on AR, worst QB rating in the league.

The Panthers would like a word. 

Andy Dalton has come crashing back to Earth. 93 yards with 2 interceptions, one a pick six. And then Bryce Young came in and threw 2/2 completions for... wait for it: -4 yards. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

If I were the lowest rated QB in the NFL I dont think I'd be talking about being "one of one".... You can look it up, since 2000 there have been 1,107 QBs in the NFL with at lest 100 snaps... Richardson ranks 1,097 with a 46.3% completion percentage.    Maybe he will end up being a good QB  one day...but right now he is historically bad.

I was one of the few people all in on AR in the draft. He was my #2 QB behind only CJ, but I actually agree with this. He hasn't done anything, and has looked really bad outside of a few big bombs or runs. Idk, maybe he meant he's one of one because no one else has his completion percentage. I'm never a fan of talking when you're not playing well, just like I hate 1st down celebrations when you're down by 20. 

I'm patient and I still believe he can't develop and be really good, but I'm never a fan of people talking before they've arrived.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

In his defense they need better WR. Then add running back injury with pacheco.

QBs honestly arent what they used to be.  Peyton and Brady...and several others... they were able to make average WRs/RBs look like Pro Bowlers, routinely.      I put a lot of that on the college game changing so much and not preparing players like they used to...and also players coming out early now, and teams drafting on potential. 

The NBA has a lot of "busts" because they draft on potential, they dont want to be the team to miss out on "the next big thing"... sadly, the NFL is starting to do the same thing.      If teams would stop drafting on potential, and let all of the projects drop to lower rounds, perhaps things would change and they'd get better development in college, to prepare for the NFL (because they'd stay in school longer).

• Like 2

I get to enjoy the games more than most of you because I do not see what you all are seeing. I see a young QB who is extremely talented who gets better and better each time he plays.  Was he 3 of 12 in the first half. Yes But he had a couple of throwaways because of free blitzes that were not picked up by the blocking schemes. He had 3 throws on target that were knocked away by Miami defenders who in my opinion were guilty of pass interference. Regardless the passes were on target. He had a long pass to AP called back because our RT cannot line up on the LOS. He made a great drive to get us a FG at the end of the half. Very few QB's could have made the throws needed to do that. He was on fire in the second half. 

What was more disappointed in was the playcalling. Shane does not give AR any short easy completions. Every pass is down the field even or  3rd and short. Shane is also running AR way too much. What was the thought when we were inside the 10? Shane ran AR into the teeth of the defense like he was a FB twice. That makes no sense.

Anyway, I am enjoying watching the QB develop and I think that he is progressing nicely considering the limited playing time. FYI we will probably lose the next 4 games so once again the goal will be for AR to learn and then we can see what we have in the last 4 games of the season.  

• Like 7

There are plenty of worrying signs about the way AR is playing but one thing that can give us some hope is his mental makeup and fortitude. This is not the first time he's had a significant improvement during a game he started in a pretty bad way. The fact that he's unphased by negative plays and is able to just put mistakes behind and focus on the next play is a big positive in my books. He's not allowing a bad throw or a few of them to snowball out of control and impact his confidence and his ability and willingness to keep his head in the game and continue to make the decisions that need to be made for his offense to still have a shot at a turnaround in the game. 

• Like 3

I remember Matt LaFleur having an adjustment time going from Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love and realizing while Rodgers' strength was accuracy in the 5-15 range, Love's better accuracy was in the 15-30 range and started calling plays for that and the young WRs and Love thrived since then after LaFleur adjusted.

The same thing I see with AR (no, he is not nearly the passer Love is but the comparisons are his comfort zones and arm strength) and that Steichen has to adjust in the passing game calling plays. They don't all have to be 30-40 yard chunk plays but we might have to call more 20+ yard plays with AR's arm till he develops touch and design our OL protection accordingly to let those routes develop.

It might seem like a Rod Chudzinski offense but wasn't he the one that designed the offense for Cam Newton who would throw high more often and run tall like AR does? But based on AR's strengths, that is what he is suited for, right now, IF and WHEN you call passes for him. The remainder should be RPO runs letting AR and the RB run, and rollouts with short passes in the flat hit in rhythm.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

There are plenty of worrying signs about the way AR is playing but one thing that can give us some hope is his mental makeup and fortitude. This is not the first time he's had a significant improvement during a game he started in a pretty bad way. The fact that he's unphased by negative plays and is able to just put mistakes behind and focus on the next play is a big positive in my books. He's not allowing a bad throw or a few of them to snowball out of control and impact his confidence and his ability and willingness to keep his head in the game and continue to make the decisions that need to be made for his offense to still have a shot at a turnaround in the game. 

What do you think about the gameplan yesterday? I'm trying to figure out why we can't get anything easy in the passing game. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

What do you think about the gameplan yesterday? I'm trying to figure out why we can't get anything easy in the passing game. 

I know you didn't ask me, but sometimes it seems like Steichen doesn't know what to call or do with him. AR's inconsistency in all facets of the game has got to make it hard to put a concrete gameplan together. I think they are just trying to find out what kind of structure this guy can play in and that's why it seems to not be so much like Steichen's MO. IDC what anybody thinks, this QB is not the answer. Not for long time consistency where he can lead or will this team or any team to victory when other elements are on or off. That's what all teams need, and we don't have it. Not with this guy. I've seen enough. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I know you didn't ask me, but sometimes it seems like Steichen doesn't know what to call or do with him. AR's inconsistency in all facets of the game has got to make it hard to put a concrete gameplan together. I think they are just trying to find out what kind of structure this guy can play in and that's why it seems to not be so much like Steichen's MO. IDC what anybody thinks, this QB is not the answer. Not for long time consistency where he can lead or will this team or any team to victory when other elements are on or off. That's what all teams need, and we don't have it. Not with this guy. I've seen enough. 

You have your mind made up already, but what you're describing isn't what played out yesterday.

Let me put this a different way: Where are the screen plays, why don't we run mesh concepts, why can't we attempt to hit a slant, etc.?  

3 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Mahomes has looked terrible this year. Their defense is carrying them big time.

The Chiefs just get it done. I can't remember the last time they were down in the 4th quarter and couldn't get the score they needed, and I can't remember the last time they needed a four minute drive to close out a game and came up short. Yeah, they aren't putting up the explosives like they were known for in the past, but that offense still comes up with the plays needed to win.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

You have your mind made up already, but what you're describing isn't what played out yesterday.

Let me put this a different way: Where are the screen plays, why don't we run mesh concepts, why can't we attempt to hit a slant, etc.?  

I totally agree with all of that. I just feel that the only reason that stuff isn't in there is that somewhere they don't feel AR is going to come close to being able to execute that. They might see evidence of this on the practice field, I don't know. AR's wildly inaccurate throws on the slants and intermediate crossers, and screens or similar like the pass that sailed on Downs a couple weeks ago makes me lean more to why it's not being utilized. I might be 100% wrong. It probably should have been at least attempted yesterday I will give you that

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know Miami hasn’t looked good with if tua but they defense is good , the points the allow is offense turn overs ST. I know guys are down on AR & the NFL is a week to week league but you have to give him time. Look at the dolphins passing def :comp   Pass     Td   Int   Rush

T.Lawrence  12/21      161       1     0     8

J.Allen.         13/19.      139.     1     0.    2

G.smith.      26/34.      289.    1.    0.   -2

W.levis.         3/4.         25.       0.    0.     5

M.rudolph.   9/17.         85.     0.     0.    0

J.brissett.     18/34.     160.     0.    0.    0

Bye 

A.Richardson 10/24.   129       0.    0.    56

mind you the had a whole bye week to prep defensively 

let’s check back in week 17/18 and see if we see growth 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Indeee said:

I totally agree with all of that. I just feel that the only reason that stuff isn't in there is that somewhere they don't feel AR is going to come close to being able to execute that. They might see evidence of this on the practice field, I don't know. AR's wildly inaccurate throws on the slants and intermediate crossers, and screens or similar like the pass that sailed on Downs a couple weeks ago makes me lean more to why it's not being utilized. I might be 100% wrong. It probably should have been at least attempted yesterday I will give you that

They don't think Richardson can complete a screen pass? You don't really believe that, right? Some of you are acting like the guy can't complete simple passes. It's way over the top at this point.

Slants, shallow crossers, etc., these plays are how you get rhythm as an offense, and it takes pressure off the young QB. If Richardson can't hit these throws, that's his failure. Not calling them is a failure of the play caller. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

I know Miami hasn’t looked good with if tua but they defense is good , the points the allow is offense turn overs ST. I know guys are down on AR & the NFL is a week to week league but you have to give him time. Look at the dolphins passing def :comp   Pass     Td   Int   Rush

T.Lawrence  12/21      161       1     0     8

J.Allen.         13/19.      139.     1     0.    2

G.smith.      26/34.      289.    1.    0.   -2

W.levis.         3/4.         25.       0.    0.     5

M.rudolph.   9/17.         85.     0.     0.    0

J.brissett.     18/34.     160.     0.    0.    0

Bye 

A.Richardson 10/24.   129       0.    0.    56

mind you the had a whole bye week to prep defensively 

let’s check back in week 17/18 and see if we see growth 

This is a valid point, but I'm not talking about the outcome. I'm wondering why, if you have a young QB who struggles with consistency, and you're playing a team with a good secondary, you're not countering that with scheme.

I think Steichen almost never says anything genuine or insightful in his pressers. When he does his 'that's on me, I have to do better,' thing, I roll my eyes. Like against the Bears, Richardson gets picked off in the end zone, and Steichen falls on his sword... stop lying to me, that was a good play call, it wasn't executed well, and that's okay. 

But in yesterday's presser, it's one of the few times that I think Steichen was being transparent and honest when he said that no one was open, he didn't do a good job, etc. And when you watch how they adjusted in the second half, it all adds up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

They don't think Richardson can complete a screen pass? You don't really believe that, right? Some of you are acting like the guy can't complete simple passes. It's way over the top at this point.

Slants, shallow crossers, etc., these plays are how you get rhythm as an offense, and it takes pressure off the young QB. If Richardson can't hit these throws, that's his failure. Not calling them is a failure of the play caller. 

If it's not that then Steichen is completely inept as anything that continues to force the defense to constantly have to or think about crowding the line or creeping up would open up the deep ball that AR seems to be better at.

I really would find it hard to believe that an NFL coach who was a highly respected coordinator and play-caller would purposely overlook that fact. So, until that proves me wrong, I'm going to have to go on the assumption that Steichen doesn't have faith in his current personnel to pull those plays off and that starts with the QB

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

If it's not that then Steichen is completely inept as anything that continues to force the defense to constantly have to or think about crowding the line or creeping up would open up the deep ball that AR seems to be better at.

I really would find it hard to believe that an NFL coach who was a highly respected coordinator and play-caller would purposely overlook that fact. So, until that proves me wrong, I'm going to have to go on the assumption that Steichen doesn't have faith in his current personnel to pull those plays off and that starts with the QB

So you think it's more reasonable to conclude that Steichen doesn't think Richardson can complete a screen pass or a shallow crosser? You did see Richardson throw the short swing pass to Downs, and then gimmick that resulted in the short pass to Sermon, right?

What I think is Steichen tried to duplicate Richardson's early success in the Steelers game -- big shots downfield, success as a runner, etc. -- and excluded the short stuff from the opening script. 

So you think it's more reasonable to conclude that Steichen doesn't think Richardson can complete a screen pass or a shallow crosser? You did see Richardson throw the short swing pass to Downs, and then gimmick that resulted in the short pass to Sermon, right?

What I think is Steichen tried to duplicate Richardson's early success in the Steelers game -- big shots downfield, success as a runner, etc. -- and excluded the short stuff from the opening script. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure what to think sometimes. You could be right on about the intent from the script. I personally can't remember the last time where Colts games and the state of the play/coaching have been so sporadic as it has been to start this season. It's all got a weird vibe to it and most times I speculate as we all might. 

I'm just not sold on this QB.

The reason I don't like AR, didn't when they drafted him, and wish they would move on already is that Richardson is going to be and ebb and flow QB his entire career or at least from how I see it going.

QB's that can be the closest to a flow/steady mechanism are the ones who are, IMHO, the true franchise QBs and the ones who typically can always have their teams in title contention year in and year out.

I don't think you'll ever get that with this guy. Doesn't matter how long you give him. At this point he has roller coaster written all over him and I as a Colts don't want that in my QB no matter who it is. 

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure what to think sometimes. You could be right on about the intent from the script. I personally can't remember the last time where Colts games and the state of the play/coaching have been so sporadic as it has been to start this season. It's all got a weird vibe to it and most times I speculate as we all might. 

I'm just not sold on this QB.

The reason I don't like AR, didn't when they drafted him, and wish they would move on already is that Richardson is going to be and ebb and flow QB his entire career or at least from how I see it going.

QB's that can be the closest to a flow/steady mechanism are the ones who are, IMHO, the true franchise QBs and the ones who typically can always have their teams in title contention year in and year out.

I don't think you'll ever get that with this guy. Doesn't matter how long you give him. At this point he has roller coaster written all over him and I as a Colts don't want that in my QB no matter who it is. 

So you have your mind made up that Richardson is bad and won't ever be good enough, and you're assigning all blame to him for anything that doesn't work on the offense. Got it. You've posted a version of this opinion a half dozen times today already.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are trying to reserve judgment until the guy has played in more than 9 games... And in the meantime, wondering if what the coaching staff is doing with him is the best way to help him succeed. 

45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Here is where I disagree with your take. Let us look at the trick play the Colts ran yesterday. The play was to get Miami to cheat up on the pitch play and then have AR get a pitch from the RB and throw the ball deep. AR recognized that Miami Covered the deep route. He did not panic. He then makes a perfect pass to the check-down. So we know that he is learning to process at a high level and that he in fact is learning to throw the checkdown. Massive improvement in a short period of time. It also appeared yesterday that he was throwing the ball with less velocity which is another area that he wants to improve in. AR does not control the play calling the calls at times were bizarre.

• Like 1

Just now, JMichael557 said:

Here is where I disagree with your take. Let us look at the trick play the Colts ran yesterday. The play was to get Miami to cheat up on the pitch play and then have AR get a pitch from the RB and throw the ball deep. AR recognized that Miami Covered the deep route. He did not panic. He then makes a perfect pass to the check-down. So we know that he is learning to process at a high level and that he in fact is learning to throw the checkdown. Massive improvement in a short period of time. It also appeared yesterday that he was throwing the ball with less velocity which is another area that he wants to improve in. AR does not control the play calling the calls at times were bizarre.

Right. And I don't want to blow that throw out of proportion. It's a routine checkdown, those are the throws any NFL QB needs to be able to make.

But for the crowd acting like Richardson can't hit dark with a flashlight, it's simple to point out that he's not as wildly inaccurate as they like to portray him as being. We need to work easier throws into the gameplan from the very beginning so the offense can get going. That's the only way Richardson will develop any kind of consistency with these routine throws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Colts OL probably had their worst game this season I think AR was pressured on 60% of his drop backs and despite this no sacks or Ints.

These blown protections are on everyone, though, not just the OL. Someone else said that Flacco would have been a sitting duck with all that blitzing, and I like to think that Flacco would have recognized more of these presnap, and checked into something to mitigate the blitz. 

But this is another reason Richardson needs to play. The experience he gains from having played such a blitz happy defense is invaluable. 

• Like 1

So you have your mind made up that Richardson is bad and won't ever be good enough, and you're assigning all blame to him for anything that doesn't work on the offense. Got it. You've posted a version of this opinion a half dozen times today already.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are trying to reserve judgment until the guy has played in more than 9 games... And in the meantime, wondering if what the coaching staff is doing with him is the best way to help him succeed. 

That's perfectly fine. I actually hope he does work out for the sake of this team, and all involved including us fans and I truly hope I can have a big ole' crow sandwich with a side of crow fries. I also hope the coaches can find a path for him to succeed. As of right now, I just can't see it. 

15 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Yea I know. I'm wrong, I'm sure. Everything has just been so erratic. A few weeks ago, AR made some decent passes, and the receivers were dropping them all day. If he and the team find more consistency my take will soften, until then I will not be a fan of the current play going on in Indy

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's perfectly fine. I actually hope he does work out for the sake of this team, and all involved including us fans and I truly hope I can have a big ole' crow sandwich with a side of crow fries. I also hope the coaches can find a path for him to succeed. As of right now, I just can't see it. 

To be fair, Richardson has played 9 games, and the Colts are 5-4 with him. While everything hasn't been pretty, it's not like he's completely undermining our ability to compete on a weekly basis.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

To be fair, Richardson has played 9 games, and the Colts are 5-4 with him. While everything hasn't been pretty, it's not like he's completely undermining our ability to compete on a weekly basis.

This next 5 game stretch will go a long way to determine where he is, and we are

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think Steichen knew Miami's defense has allowed some deep plays and wanted to test them early. AR overthrew Pierce once and the second 40 yard throw was wiped out because of a penalty. 

I agree that we seem to be having real trouble getting anything easy though. I think part of it is ARs struggles to get in rhythm. It seems like he feeds off of making big plays and when it didn't happen in the beginning he kind of got stuck in his head and was spraying the ball all over the place.

IMO even if the plan is not ideal AR still needs to be better. On the first series it seemed like AD got open on the 3d and 6 but AR didn't hit him. 

On the second series he started with a play action throw into triple coverage. I don't know what he saw there but didn't seem like it was a good decision. And then he overthrew Pierce on the deep shot. Just seemed like nothing was easy at that point. I really do think AR just needs to be better before anything else. And Steichen needs to give this offense some easy yards early to give his QB some confidence. We need more inventiveness and better utilization of the threat of AR running(kind of like we did on drive 3 which was almost entirely fueled by the run game - until the fumble in the red zone).

To me it felt like AR got loose and started making some good plays in the passing game at the end of the half when we had just 25 seconds of play and he kind of... Didn't have the chance to think about what's happening too much and he was playing more on instinct. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Steichen knew Miami's defense has allowed some deep plays and wanted to test them early. AR overthrew Pierce once and the second 40 yard throw was wiped out because of a penalty. 

I agree that we seem to be having real trouble getting anything easy though. I think part of it is ARs struggles to get in rhythm. It seems like he feeds off of making big plays and when it didn't happen in the beginning he kind of got stuck in his head and was spraying the ball all over the place.

IMO even if the plan is not ideal AR still needs to be better. On the first series it seemed like AD got open on the 3d and 6 but AR didn't hit him. 

On the second series he started with a play action throw into triple coverage. I don't know what he saw there but didn't seem like it was a good decision. And then he overthrew Pierce on the deep shot. Just seemed like nothing was easy at that point. I really do think AR just needs to be better before anything else. And Steichen needs to give this offense some easy yards early to give his QB some confidence. We need more inventiveness and better utilization of the threat of AR running(kind of like we did on drive 3 which was almost entirely fueled by the run game - until the fumble in the red zone).

To me it felt like AR got loose and started making some good plays in the passing game at the end of the half when we had just 25 seconds of play and he kind of... Didn't have the chance to think about what's happening too much and he was playing more on instinct. 

I don't think we even saw the RPO throws yesterday. If the QB struggles getting into rhythm -- especially coming off of missing two games -- then why not establish the offense before you try to exploit the defense? I just think that was a backward gameplan early on.

You're right, Richardson needs to be better, but I also think they need to dial back the level of difficulty. Give him some high percentage throws, run some naked bootlegs, etc. There are a lot of ways to open up short passes. We went to the Bruce Arians 2012 playbook yesterday.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not the biggest fan of QB wins. Didn't like it when people were praising Flacco for mediocre at best play vs the Titans. Don't like it for AR's last 2 wins. We didn't win because of him those games. It's kind of weird but ARs best games have been ones he didn't finish(Steelers, Texans last year) and the loss vs the Rams. IMO better opponents wouldn't have allowed us to win 3 of the last 4 games( Bears, Titans, Dolphins) and the QB play was not a driving factor in those games.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm not the biggest fan of QB wins. Didn't like it when people were praising Flacco for mediocre at best play vs the Titans. Don't like it for AR's last 2 wins. We didn't win because of him those games. It's kind of weird but ARs best games have been ones he didn't finish(Steelers, Texans last year) and the loss vs the Rams.

I'm not counting QB wins, I feel the same way. In fact, Flacco's best game was against the Jags, and we lost because we couldn't get a defensive stop.

I'm just saying the team is able to compete even with Richardson's ups and downs, so it's not like his development process is sabotaging the team.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think we even saw the RPO throws yesterday. If the QB struggles getting into rhythm -- especially coming off of missing two games -- then why not establish the offense before you try to exploit the defense? I just think that was a backward gameplan early on.

You're right, Richardson needs to be better, but I also think they need to dial back the level of difficulty. Give him some high percentage throws, run some naked bootlegs, etc. There are a lot of ways to open up short passes. We went to the Bruce Arians 2012 playbook yesterday.

For a QB with AR's arm strength, the deep throws are actually playing to his strengths. It's an easier read and he usually leads the receivers so they either catch the pass or it's overthrown. This is how you try to get AR into the game and into rhythm.

The short passes is where the most amount of traffic is. The game has not yet slowed down for him and he's uncomfortable making those throws. There are too many defenders near the LOS for him to account for on short passes.

I do agree that there are a lot of ways to open up the short passes, which we did not see yesterday. They could do more to get him comfortable with it.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not counting QB wins, I feel the same way. In fact, Flacco's best game was against the Jags, and we lost because we couldn't get a defensive stop.

I'm just saying the team is able to compete even with Richardson's ups and downs, so it's not like his development process is sabotaging the team.

IMO if he plays like this the next 5 games, we are likely to go winless in those. I just don't want to seem like I'm giving him credit for things that IMO have other much more important factors playing into the outcome of the games. I think in the long term he needs to play much better if he wants to keep around .500 record, let alone if we want to climb into the contenders tier.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

For a QB with AR's arm strength, the deep throws are actually playing to his strengths. It's an easier read and he usually leads the receivers so they either catch the pass or it's overthrown. This is how you try to get AR into the game and into rhythm.

The short passes is where the most amount of traffic is. The game has not yet slowed down for him and he's uncomfortable making those throws. There are too many defenders near the LOS for him to account for on short passes.

I do agree that there are a lot of ways to open up the short passes, which we did not see yesterday. They could do more to get him comfortable with it.

It's so low percentage, even though it's Richardson's strength, that it doesn't make sense to lean on as a way to open up the game. And I'm not saying everything should be short and quick to start, but give him something in the first two drives. And if not for him, then for the sake of the offense in general, and for the team overall to avoid the lopsided time of possession we saw early in the season. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't understand the gameplan in the passing game. Today was one time where I think maybe Steichen was being sincere when he said it's his fault the offense wasn't performing well. 

The start of the steelers game he was being AR thats why they went right down the field against them now i wanna see him get the yardage he can then get down i dont wanna see him getting lit up he will eventually get hurt again if he keeps doing that...