Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you had to bet about AR....

Tsarquise

If you had to bet, would you bet that Anthony Richardson will become a franchise QB?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to bet, would you bet that Anthony Richardson will become a franchise QB?

• Heck YES!
    • Heck NO!

project qb, if he can learn to protect himself, and stop missing games, we can do something with him. if he's gonna keep getting injured, let's move him to TE or something lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

project qb, if he can learn to protect himself, and stop missing games, we can do something with him. if he's gonna keep getting injured, let's move him to TE or something lol 

If he can't stay healthy playing the QB position he sure as hades wouldn’t stay healthy playing TE.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Creekside said:

Has anyone ever seen him slide?...Does he know how to slide?..Is he being taught how to slide?

That's a question I asked a while ago.  IIRC, he's gotten hurt on plays where he is kind of going for more yardage.  There are times to do that, but I can't recall ever seeing him slide either.  IMO, knowing when to slide or even ability to slide at all is a basic skill that a QB, or any football player, needs to acquire at some level of football before he plays in the NFL.  

If he can't slide yet, that's not on the NFL coaching staff but more on the GM for drafting him #4 without having the proper NFL skills, IMO.  Should be a easy fix, but the player has to be willing to learn too.

No, as I have seen no improvement in accuracy, footwork/mechanics, touch, or decision making. If AR played for the Titans this whole fan base would think he's terrible. He's an incredible athlete that can't do a lot of the fundamental/important QB things well.

Why would him getting more experience fix things that require only practice? Basketball players don't get better at shooting by playing more games, they practice in the gym. Golfers don't fix/improve their swing by playing more golf tournaments, they practice at the range. How do pitchers improve their pitches? It ain't in live professional games... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's a question I asked a while ago.  IIRC, he's gotten hurt on plays where he is kind of going for more yardage.  There are times to do that, but I can't recall ever seeing him slide either.  IMO, knowing when to slide or even ability to slide at all is a basic skill that a QB, or any football player, needs to acquire at some level of football before he plays in the NFL.  

If he can't slide yet, that's not on the NFL coaching staff but more on the GM for drafting him #4 without having the proper NFL skills, IMO.  Should be a easy fix, but the player has to be willing to learn too.

Cant prove it but I believe Steichen benched him the game where he got hurt and made him sit out the last 2 games to send him a message. I truly believe it is do or die time for Richardson in his early career to prove to Steichen he is that guy.  Sure, Steichen wants him to be fully healthy, I guess, but he has so show the coach he has the awareness to protect himself and stay healthy. U can also bet that Irsay has already asked Steichen and Ballard if he can be that guy. I think we can all agree on one thing. Irsay is old school and I think he has toughness as a trait high on his list. Not sure what happened with Wentz but he soured quickly on him. People say it is a 3 year evaluation of a young  qb. AR has finished  4 out of possible 23 games. That is actually quite staggering. I truly believe this. I think if he goes in there and gets injured, which results in him missing more games. Steichen maybe out on him. Like I have said, I love the kid, but Steichen seems like the kind of guy who would have no trouble moving on at the end of the season. Sounds kind of early to a lot of people, however, no team can be successful if this qb carousel continues much longer. You need long term stability at the qb position. He will never be able to grow as a qb being in and out of lineup. Plus, it also impacts the Oline, rb and wr's  abilities on the field.

14 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Things would have to drastically change for me to think that he will be a franchise quarterback, 

1 availability

2 accuracy

3 football IQ

I like your qualifications but what are all the qualifications to be a franchise QB?:thinking:

AR5 is still very young and if not properly guided, he could fall into the hands of the $$$ hungry wolves, or speeding in a sport car, or hanging out with his partying friends.

He represents himself, the Colts, the NFL, and us.

I don’t mind his celebrating good plays and scores but keep the cockiness out! Remember one earlier game in Philly when he flapped his arms after a score?:facepalm:

For me, too soon to start talking about AR5-franchise QB.

I am just gonna kick back on my weekends off to support my Texas Longhorns and my Indianapolis Colts 

with family, good food, and 🍺🍺🍺😎

Mighty Blue 😎

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he can't stay healthy playing the QB position he sure as hades wouldn’t stay healthy playing TE.

yeah, i wasn't serious at all lol. He probably could play any position outside of Oline, or Defensive tackle physically, but in terms of health, QB is his safest spot. 

but he is a physical freak. If he wanted to play TE, WE, DE , he could physical stats wise

It's the interviews that do it for me.  He doesn't seem to have a competitive spirit or that special drive a qb needs.  He always appears just happy to be here and have made it to the NFL.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not sure what happened with Wentz but he (Irsay) soured quickly on him.

Total rabbit hole OT, but I always thought the "leadership" issue with Irsay was that he did not want Wentz to ever be the face of the franchise.  For whatever reason, Wentz seemed polarizing and guys like Ryan and even Rivers were more down the middle in terms of personality, even thought Rivers could mouth off like a jerk at times during a game.  Because of that, every mistake Wentz made got magnified and exaggerated as to its impact, IMO.

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think its fair to count the games on IR, those weren't really "possible"  I think he's finished 50% of the games he's started?  Not good.

How long do u think Steichen will stay on this path with AR? Let's say he comes back and gets hurt early and misses some games.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How long do u think Steichen will stay on this path with AR? Let's say he comes back and gets hurt early and misses some games.

Steichen is going to play AR whenever he is healthy.....  obviously