Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor’s average $14 mil/yr contract

azcolt

He obviously had a super 2021 and couldn't be blamed for getting what he could even it did mean holding out into the 2023 season. But it’s beginning to look like that 2021 season may not be representative of his value. Yes, he’s still young but Wisky ran him to death and running backs tend to have a short shelf life. Hopefully he can get healthy and have great 2025 and 2026 seasons. So far it doesn’t look promising, especially since he often sits when we are in passing mode. $14 mil is a lot for a one-dimensional back whose run production has been mediocre since 2021.

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

He obviously had a super 2021 and couldn't be blamed for getting what he could even it did mean holding out into the 2023 season. But it’s beginning to look like that 2021 season may not be representative of his value. Yes, he’s still young but Wisky ran him to death and running backs tend to have a short shelf life. Hopefully he can get healthy and have great 2025 and 2026 seasons. So far it doesn’t look promising, especially since he often sits when we are in passing mode. $14 mil is a lot for a one-dimensional back whose run production has been mediocre since 2021.

Are you paying him?

• Like 3

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Are you paying him?

He doesn't have to to have an opinion whether or not a contract is bad value.

I think JT is great when he's on the field, but he plays a little more than half a season at this point. That contract is too rich for that kind of availability. That said, the Colts are in a pretty good cap situation right now, but that doesn't mean money can't be saved and used on better things. We have a LT, RT and RG that need to get paid very soon. At least two of those could be $20+m contracts. We have a defense that's questionable at best and could use a talent infusion.

I really hope we find a good RB in the draft this offseason. If nothing else we need better depth behind JT, because we can't count on him being available.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

He doesn't have to to have an opinion whether or not a contract is bad value.

I think JT is great when he's on the field, but he plays a little more than half a season at this point. That contract is too rich for that kind of availability. That said, the Colts are in a pretty good cap situation right now, but that doesn't mean money can't be saved and used on better things. We have a LT, RT and RG that need to get paid very soon. At least two of those could be $20+m contracts. We have a defense that's questionable at best and could use a talent infusion.

I really hope we find a good RB in the draft this offseason. If nothing else we need better depth behind JT, because we can't count on him being available.

JTs contract isn't keeping the team from doing anything they might want to do.   It's like the folks that cry about Matt Gays contract.    Neither are keeping the team from signing high priced free agents like Ladaris Sneed that so many wanted

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

JTs contract isn't keeping the team from doing anything they might want to do.   It's like the folks that cry about Matt Gays contract.    Neither are keeping the team from signing high priced free agents like Ladaris Sneed that so many wanted

It very well could when we have to sign Raimann, Smith and Fries. Those are not going to be small contracts and it's why deals like JT's and Mo's look less than good.

Not saying it's definitely going to be a problem, but even if it isn't $14m/year for 10-ish games from a RB is not a good deal.

• Like 2

I laugh when people moan about Taylor's contract, it is not even hurting the team but yet the same people think McCaffrey is worth 16 Mill and he hasn't really played all year due to injury. He has also been injured in other seasons too. The thing that annoys me is, why do some Colts fans in here just single out our players when missing games, it happens around the league. Is Joe Burrow overpaid? He is injured all the time and has played like doo doo all season, give it a rest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I laugh when people moan about Taylor's contract, it is not even hurting the team but yet the same people think McCaffrey is worth 16 Mill and he hasn't really played all year due to injury. He has also been injured in other seasons too. The thing that annoys me is, why do some Colts fans in here just single out our players when missing games, it happens around the league. Is Joe Burrow overpaid? He is injured all the time and has played like doo doo all season, give it a rest.

CMC isn't worth his contract either at this point.

When you start stacking bad deals it starts becoming a problem. It's why you get teams close to the cap who aren't contenders - misspent cap space.

Also, this is a Colts fan forum, why shouldn't we discuss Colts' players contracts, but discuss those of other teams?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

When you start stacking bad deals it starts becoming a problem. It's why you get teams close to the cap who aren't contenders - misspent cap space.

Also, this is a Colts fan forum, why shouldn't we discuss Colts' players contracts, but discuss those of other teams?

It's the middle of October. JT's contract is what it is.

Right now, he's hurt. High ankle sprain, it's no one's fault. Before he got hurt, he was playing well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Superman said:

Right now, he's hurt. High ankle sprain, it's no one's fault. Before he got hurt, he was playing well. 

Sure, I just don't think it's unreasonable to say it's looking like a bad deal at this point.

JT had a FANTASTIC season in 2021... Then in '22 and '23 he played 11 and 10 games respectively and now he's injured again.

Like I said in my first post - he's great when he's on the field... WHEN he's on the field.

Eh, I didn't really want to make this a thing. Just a thread and I responded, nothing more... moving on...

46 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It very well could when we have to sign Raimann, Smith and Fries. Those are not going to be small contracts and it's why deals like JT's and Mo's look less than good.

Not saying it's definitely going to be a problem, but even if it isn't $14m/year for 10-ish games from a RB is not a good deal.

No. It won't.   

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When taylor is out a game our running game looks horrible ...  That tells me how good taylor is and proves he is worth the money .  14 million is not that much for a 5 yard per game runner .   The defense is the only concern I have right now the offense is actually pretty talented .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Have you seen the Colts running game without him?  He’s worth every penny.  Players get hurt.  It’s happens.  

He is worth it. But it’s also fair to worry about JT’s injury history, especially with how heavily he was used at Wisconsin. The odds suggest he’s going to break down sooner because his legs are old for his age. Here’s to a healthy JT, who is the best in the business and earns his paycheck when on the field. 

I think I just feel this generation treats, injuries different than 20 or years or more back. It seems that these players let pain dictate where tougher players play through it. Of course there are several exceptions to this in today’s NFL, but sadly the premise is Correct

23 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I think I just feel this generation treats, injuries different than 20 or years or more back. It seems that these players let pain dictate where tougher players play through it. Of course there are several exceptions to this in today’s NFL, but sadly the premise is Correct

Part of it comes from a fantasy football mindset.  If these players can't get points then they are looked at in a negative light. 

Sports betting and fantasy has changed the average fans attitude about the game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Part of it comes from a fantasy football mindset.  If these players can't get points then they are looked at in a negative light. 

Sports betting and fantasy has changed the average fans attitude about the game. 

The Internet and talking heads also have hurt how people see the game. 

The media kept pushing the whole 'rings' argument with NE for so long people started acting like 'why can't my team win 10 rings like NE does?'.. Because that's not normal, even though all the talk shows kept pushing the narrative.

We've seen it tons of times over the years where people act like the Colts didn't win that much... ONLY 2 SB appearance and 1 ring... Like that sucks or something..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

We should discuss all contracts for all teams but most only dwell on our contracts. Some act like Ballard is the only * out there when I can list 50 bad contracts by other teams that have signed players. Watson was a real Genius signing for example. Jags win every off season, and they have 2 division Titles too show for it since 2002. People just need to get of our rear end and be happy we are 3-3 as of now. 

6 hours ago, Superman said:

My contention from the beginning has been that this contract is questionable even without the injuries. And this has nothing to do with JT's skill and quality of play. Just in general RBs are highly replaceable and highly dependent on other positions to produce well and that has resulted in very deflated pay for the position. You add the high attrition and turnover rate at the position and paying big time money for RB quickly becomes a losing proposition(especially if that RB is not big contributor in the passing game and has already had injury issues). But you know my general position on Ballard and his positional value assessments... People may say "JT's contract is not stopping us from signing anyone", but this is a bigger picture item. It's not about any single contract. It's about giving tons of money at positions that are not highly correlated with winning... while our secondary and receiving options have been lacking pretty much for the entirety of Ballard's tenure with the Colts(with a few exceptions over those 8 years)...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should discuss all contracts for all teams but most only dwell on our contracts. Some act like Ballard is the only * out there when I can list 50 bad contracts by other teams that have signed players. Watson was a real Genius signing for example. Jags win every off season, and they have 2 division Titles too show for it since 2002. People just need to get of our rear end and be happy we are 3-3 as of now. 

The Jags are one of the worst run organisations in football in my opinion. They still have more division titles than the Colts in the Ballard era though?

And I think most of us are tired of being “happy” about being 3-3. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

My contention from the beginning has been that this contract is questionable even without the injuries. And this has nothing to do with JT's skill and quality of play. Just in general RBs are highly replaceable and highly dependent on other positions to produce well and that has resulted in very deflated pay for the position. You add the high attrition and turnover rate at the position and paying big time money for RB quickly becomes a losing proposition(especially if that RB is not big contributor in the passing game and has already had injury issues). But you know my general position on Ballard and his positional value assessments... People may say "JT's contract is not stopping us from signing anyone", but this is a bigger picture item. It's not about any single contract. It's about giving tons of money at positions that are not highly correlated with winning... while our secondary and receiving options have been lacking pretty much for the entirety of Ballard's tenure with the Colts(with a few exceptions over those 8 years)...

It's October 2024. These conversations were all the rage in September 2023, before the contract was done. For those who don't like second contracts for RBs, or who disagree with Ballard's cap strategies, these conversations have been had already.

This thread is nothing more than whining because a player is injured. And we're not talking about a general wear and tear, aging player injury. We watched the player get hurt with our own eyes, and it was no one's fault. Before he got hurt, he was playing well and was very productive. If not for this injury, which is no one's fault, this thread wouldn't exist.

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The Jags are one of the worst run organisations in football in my opinion. They still have more division titles than the Colts in the Ballard era though?

Before the season started reading all the posts and getting opinions most had us 3-3 through 6 games is why I used the word "happy". Some even had us 2-4. Almost everyone had us losing to Houston, Pitt, and at GB, even some said we would lose at Jacks because we always do. I will take 3-3 and be happy so far easily. In the 3 games we lost, we lost by 2, 6, and 3. We could be 6-0. In the 3 games we won, we won by 3, 5, and 3 so we could be 0-6. To be 3-3, I am fine with it. We should beat Miami as well to get to 4-3, then we will find out what type of team we have when we play Houston again. AR, Taylor, and Buck should be healthy going into that game so we will see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crunked said:

I would take someone playing at high level @ 14 mil a year on defense with a high ankle sprain any day of the week and 11X on Sunday....... just sayin'

We are not the same team without Taylor, it's obvious and you can't sugarcoat it. Taylor is a game changer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

There are teams that have suffered numerous injuries like the Colts but they have losing records.  Considering our adversity I am happy being 3-3.  It could be worse but it isn’t.  And hopefully we are 4-3 after Sunday.  Winning isn’t a gimme in this league.  You earn every one of them.  Fans should celebrate every one of them.  Too many half empty glasses around here.

I said here before he signed the contract I wouldn’t give him a big contract, I was happy to keep moss. You don’t have to have a elete rb to win games so isn’t a position I would spend a lot of money on. It looks like my thinking at the time is showing to be correct. The money should go to the o-line.

16 hours ago, azcolt said:

So far it doesn’t look promising

No need to worry about it, according to over the cap the team is going into next season with 55 million in cap space and will still have around 30 after signing the projected roster.  Plenty to sign 53 players and make what ever move they want really

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I said here before he signed the contract I wouldn’t give him a big contract, I was happy to keep moss. You don’t have to have a elete rb to win games so isn’t a position I would spend a lot of money on. It looks like my thinking at the time is showing to be correct. The money should go to the o-line.

Don’t you realize one of the biggest complaints here is that our OL is overpaid.  Lol