Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game

GoColts8818

11 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

On a rebuilding team... Where did he rank in touchdowns and yards for the season? Also, do you realize the difference in NFL defense back then? Compared to now? Tell me how many other quarterbacks were under 60% Manning's rookie year? And tell me how many are under 60% in today's NFL?

Manning had 2 HOF playmakers on that rookie roster - Harrison and Faulk. He also had Tony Pollard and Tarik Glenn.

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The AFC is so bad chargers have the 7th spot at 2-2. There are so many 2-3 teams.

Very true and so many of our fans are already quitting on the team.  The youngest team in the league too.  The league wants parity and they have it.  What matters is finishing strong and being in contention.   No matter our current record we’re still in contention.  The sky is not falling.  Long way to go.

49 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Manning had 2 HOF playmakers on that rookie roster - Harrison and Faulk. He also had Tony Pollard and Tarik Glenn.

what does that have to do with Richardson being so inaccurate?  He lofts easy (for 99% of NFL starters) passes way over his intended target, even when he's not under any pressure by the D...it's not a one time thing, he was wildly inaccurate at Florida (one of my best friends is a lifelong Gators fan and said that he wouldnt want AR as the QB for his favorite team and was glad he left Florida) and he is still wildly inaccurate.    I dont care if AR had Harrison or Faulk, I dont think they have the vertical needed to catch the passes that Richardson throws on anything under 60 yards.

12 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think it’s very unfair to even compare him to Peyton.

I’m in your camp as far as wanting to see how this season plays out. 

But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t very concerned on a pattern of missing games every season due to injury from high school to college and now the NFL. 

Yeah I think that’s the logical approach.  You have to give him time to learn and see if he corrects mistakes but you are lying to yourself if you don’t see some major concerns right now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

what does that have to do with Richardson being so inaccurate?  He lofts easy (for 99% of NFL starters) passes way over his intended target, even when he's not under any pressure by the D...it's not a one time thing, he was wildly inaccurate at Florida (one of my best friends is a lifelong Gators fan and said that he wouldnt want AR as the QB for his favorite team and was glad he left Florida) and he is still wildly inaccurate.    I dont care if AR had Harrison or Faulk, I dont think they have the vertical needed to catch the passes that Richardson throws on anything under 60 yards.

Because the surrounding cast and their performance matters.

He's not accurate right now, I completely agree. He sails too many passes. But, our WRs had like 5-6 drops in the GB game for instance. Let's say 4 and stack that on AR's numbers. Now he's at 13/19 - 68.4% completion rate. Just saying.

He still needs to adjust to game speed. He needs to be more mindful of his footwork. These are things that'll come with experience. I mean before week 3 of the preseason he'd barely played any game snaps in 8-9 months. No wonder he's rusty ON TOP of being inexperienced.

People need to be patient. The same people who complained about our QB carousel are the same people who want to start another one-year veteran instead of giving AR the reps he needs. It's mind-boggling to be honest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Because the surrounding cast and their performance matters.

He's not accurate right now, I completely agree. He sails too many passes. But, our WRs had like 5-6 drops in the GB game for instance. Let's say 4 and stack that on AR's numbers. Now he's at 13/19 - 68.4% completion rate. Just saying.

He still needs to adjust to game speed. He needs to be more mindful of his footwork. These are things that'll come with experience. I mean before week 3 of the preseason he'd barely played any game snaps in 8-9 months. No wonder he's rusty ON TOP of being inexperienced.

People need to be patient. The same people who complained about our QB carousel are the same people who want to start another one-year veteran instead of giving AR the reps he needs. It's mind-boggling to be honest.

We should have signed a good veteran QB that is young enough to start the next 3-4 years, while AR sat behind him and learned the game.   Throwing someone so raw and inexperienced into live NFL action is not the best way to develop them, no matter how many people are banging the drum that he needs to play to get better.   Some players arent ready yet, and it takes time...throwing them in too early can make things worse instead of better.

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

We should have signed a good veteran QB that is young enough to start the next 3-4 years, while AR sat behind him and learned the game.   Throwing someone so raw and inexperienced into live NFL action is not the best way to develop them, no matter how many people are banging the drum that he needs to play to get better.   Some players arent ready yet, and it takes time...throwing them in too early can make things worse instead of better.

I advocated for sitting him from the start, but I also felt when they decided to play him they had to keep playing him no matter how bad it looked. Benching him now will just destroy his confidence.

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

I advocated for sitting him from the start, but I also felt when they decided to play him they had to keep playing him no matter how bad it looked. Benching him now will just destroy his confidence.

Playing him now will likely do the same, in the long run

• Like 1

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

Playing him now will likely do the same, in the long run

Not if he keeps getting better. He had a great start to the Steelers game. He needs to stack good games, he can't do that on the bench.

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Very true and so many of our fans are already quitting on the team.  The youngest team in the league too.  The league wants parity and they have it.  What matters is finishing strong and being in contention.   No matter our current record we’re still in contention.  The sky is not falling.  Long way to go.

Absolutely, review this game in what they did wrong, move on the next in Tennessee. 

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Not if he keeps getting better. He had a great start to the Steelers game. He needs to stack good games, he can't do that on the bench.

he's had a good quarter so far this season, if you add it all together... let's stack good quarters and work up to good halves and then good games lol     Look, I want him to succeed and to be good, i'm tired of losing and starting over every year...I just dont see him being a good starting QB in the NFL, or staying healthy for a full season...hopefully i'm wrong.

• Like 1

Might not have mattered but what the heck was that last play from our OL? 2 guys trying to protect Flacco and both of them whiffed? Did they expect Flacco to be a spring chicken and expect him to be much further to their right? I don't know but that whole sequence was bad.

2 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

he's had a good quarter so far this season, if you add it all together... let's stack good quarters and work up to good halves and then good games lol     Look, I want him to succeed and to be good, i'm tired of losing and starting over every year...I just dont see him being a good starting QB in the NFL, or staying healthy for a full season...hopefully i'm wrong.

I just don't think 4 games is anywhere near enough for anyone to come to that conclusion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I just don't think 4 games is anywhere near enough for anyone to come to that conclusion.

I'm adding in what he looked like at Florida (because it was just as bad as here)...also his injury history/missing games goes back to high school, so that's not just a fluke thing, either.   Also, other than everyone wanting to say JOSH ALLEN did it!, accuracy isnt something that usually gets much better at the NFL level...you either have it or you dont (and he never has).

He looks like another pick where Ballard went with the freakish RAS score rather than actual game production.

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I'm adding in what he looked like at Florida (because it was just as bad as here)...also his injury history/missing games goes back to high school, so that's not just a fluke thing, either.   Also, other than everyone wanting to say JOSH ALLEN did it!, accuracy isnt something that usually gets much better at the NFL level...you either have it or you dont (and he never has).

He looks like another pick where Ballard went with the freakish RAS score rather than actual game production.

The only real concern I have with AR at this point is the injuries. The rest can get better. I still hope the injuries are just flukes.

Also, other than everyone wanting to say JOSH ALLEN did it!, accuracy isnt something that usually gets much better at the NFL level...you either have it or you dont (and he never has).

This is just wrong though. Most rookie QBs start out looking like * their first season. Stroud is the outlier, not AR.

40 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

What will you say if AR goes 9 of 30? Like Josh Allen did. Josh has been in the league how long?

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You guys ever listen to Kevin’s morning show with his cohost Andy Sweeney. The kid didn’t even play yesterday and he is out there creating drama that does not exist. Trashing AR when the kid didn’t even play.

Well if Andy Sweeney says it ,it must be fact....I mean it's the great Andy Sweeney after all. Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

The long Rant:

The Colts have several issues that mostly stem from talent and defensive coaching. However, this is not a new story.

The Colts can not just play consistent football. Not even consistently good, just consistent. It’s a constant up and down roller coaster ride game to game and even quarter-to-quarter sometimes. Whether it’s tackling, running the ball, balanced offensive game planning, pass rush, coverage, etc… you never know what you’ll get from this team. That’s why every match is a coin toss. Teams we should beat we get “upset” by, and teams we should expect to lose to we end up beating.

I think a lot if not all if that has to do with the players. We seem to be a team that lives on players making the spectacular plays, and not being able to make the mundane plays. We don’t have many players besides maybe JT and Nelson that really just come out and play consistently.

For every game where Franklin goes out and has a 10 tackle day, there’s just as many where he can’t make a tackle to save his life. Same for EJ speed who may be leading the NFL in tackles atm, but misses as many as he makes. Smith performed great against TJ Watt but got abused and over powered by Trevon Walker many times. But that’s what marginal players get you: up and down performances, but our GM seems to love living on the highs and ignoring the lows.

I’ve defended Ballard for awhile because of how good he has become at drafting, but I can’t anymore. It’s not enough. His absolute refusal to put veterans on the time is mind numbing and costing the team big time. When you watch that secondary out there, you saw a bunch of players that really wouldn’t be on other teams or starting. Flowers is awful and never deserved the hype he got going into the start of last season where he was handed a starting spot. Womack had 1 good game and did what I described and had a completely different game against the Jags. Chris Lammons? Jaylon Jones (best of a bad bunch)? None of those players should be seeing the field.

Our RG gets injured and the guy that comes in for him is a rookie UDFA. Pinter is the only backup OL with more than 2 years of experience. That’s another issue. This roster is over saturated with day 3 and UDFA players who are young and unproven. Soon as a starter gets injured (and a lot of them are unproven or marginal at best) we immediately go to a low tier level player. Thats playing with fire.

And that is exactly why you lose a game against an 0-4 team with statistically a bottom 5 offense going into the game. 15 points a game is what the Jags were averaging. And while Bradley definitely should be let go for his ineptitude, the greater responsibility falls on the GM that’s continues to build the team the same way year after year. The GM that chose Julian Blackmon over Justin Simmons. The GM that got beat out by the divisional rival for Sneed, and also said no to guys like Akhello Witherspoon, Jalen Mills, and Steven Nelson and instead rolled with Brents, Jones, Flowers, and Lammons.

IMO both Bradley and Ballard need to go together. As much as I talked about the inconsistency of the team, they are the two constants. Bradley will constantly run the same prevent defense and allow offenses to freely move the ball through the air. Ballard will consistently say that he likes the guys we have and just rely solely on the draft to fix holes and add depth. 

• Like 2

The extreme AR hate after yesterday’s game was very strange. Yes he has his own concerns and things he needs to work on. However it’s not even the a top 3 issue that this franchise currently has. Like some of the stuff went past football sports is never that serious.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

The extreme AR hate after yesterday’s game was very strange. Yes he has his own concerns and things he needs to work on. However it’s not even the a top 3 issue that this franchise currently has. Like some of the stuff went past football sports is never that serious.

I don’t know where it is coming from. Colts scored 34 with Flacco and still lost so it’s just weird. This defense should be all anyone is talking about. Trashing a guy that didn’t play is one of the strangest things I have seen.

• Like 1

I have to say AD Mitchell concerns me.  He is getting open but his lackadaisical play and personality are a big problem.  I don’t think practice will change that.  He is who he is.  He takes plays off and doesn’t concentrate.  It’s early but I’m not liking what I’m seeing.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say AD Mitchell concerns me.  He is getting open but his lackadaisical play and personality are a big problem.  I don’t think practice will change that.  He is who he is.  He takes plays off and doesn’t concentrate.  It’s early but I’m not liking what I’m seeing.

What do you know about his personality?

59 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

He also had nothing to do with yesterday so I don’t get that either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know where it is coming from. Colts scored 34 with Flacco and still lost so it’s just weird. This defense should be all anyone is talking about. Trashing a guy that didn’t play is one of the strangest things I have seen.

Umm. The fact that he didn't play is pretty significant when he was out injured most of last season and has suffered four different injuries that have knocked him out of the game in eight games started. 

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Dline wasn't healthy, sure, but why is it with a second-round pick, Obeyingo, at one DE and a first-round pick, Latu, at the other DE, the Colts got zero pass rush all game? 

Because Trevor Lawrence averaged 2.35 seconds to pass. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Because Trevor Lawrence averaged 2.35 seconds to pass. 

I know he did. What I want to know is why that happened when we still had a couple of our recent high-round picks at DE. Sure, injuries to the D-Line were a big factor this week, but that doesn't explain away that the Colts didn't get any pressure on Lawrence. It's inexcusable. 

I know that you're not a Bradley booster (is anybody but Ballard?). I want to see some accountability, not just excuses. If this season is about setting the franchise up for future success by getting Richardson the experience he needs, shouldn't it also be about establishing a standard of performance for the Colts under Steichen? I don't care if firing Bradley won't fix the defense right away. The Colts should take a stand that they're not going to accept a defensive approach and defensive play that allows three mediocre QBs in a row to set career highs.  

8 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I know he did. What I want to know is why that happened when we still had a couple of our recent high-round picks at DE. Sure, injuries to the D-Line were a big factor this week, but that doesn't explain away that the Colts didn't get any pressure on Lawrence. It's inexcusable. 

I know that you're not a Bradley booster (is anybody but Ballard?). I want to see some accountability, not just excuses. If this season is about setting the franchise up for future success by getting Richardson the experience he needs, shouldn't it also be about setting established a standard of performance for the Colts under Steichen? I don't care if firing Bradley won't fix the defense right away. The Colts should take a stand that they're not going to accept a defensive approach and defensive play that allows three mediocre QBs in a row to set career highs.  

I think it does explain the lack of pass rush. How does the DL affect the QB if he's throwing the ball in 2.35 seconds? Yeah, there were some situations where the pass rush could have done better, but in general, the Jags quick passed on us, and nullified the pass rush. Which is exactly how you beat this defense. And you're right, it is inexcusable. 

Also, Steichen chose to keep Bradley in 2024. So, Ballard and Steichen like him for some reason.

The rest of what you say, I fully agree with.

Just now, Superman said:

I think it does explain the lack of pass rush. How does the DL affect the QB if he's throwing the ball in 2.35 seconds? Yeah, there were some situations where the pass rush could have done better, but in general, the Jags quick passed on us, and nullified the pass rush. Which is exactly how you beat this defense. And you're right, it is inexcusable. 

Also, Steichen chose to keep Bradley in 2024. So, Ballard and Steichen like him for some reason.

The rest of what you say, I fully agree with.

I misunderstood the 2.35 seconds before, which was dumb. Thanks for explaining that. 

You mentioned today that Steichen should direct Bradley to play the cornerbacks closer to the receivers. That seems obvious with their strategy to pick bigger, stronger cornerbacks. You would think a guy like Jaylon Jones (203 pounds and strong) would clearly excel at being physical with the receiver at the line of scrimmage more so than waiting back for him in coverage. Jones is a below-average coverage guy in the NFL and was known even in college more for excelling as a run stopper than for his coverage skills. Do you think they fear their cornerbacks will get beat deep if they play near the line because they lack elite speed? It's perplexing. 

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I misunderstood the 2.35 seconds before, which was dumb. Thanks for explaining that. 

You mentioned today that Steichen should direct Bradley to play the cornerbacks closer to the receivers. That seems obvious with their strategy to pick bigger, stronger cornerbacks. You would think a guy like Jaylon Jones (203 pounds and strong) would clearly excel at being physical with the receiver at the line of scrimmage more so than waiting back for him in coverage. Jones is a below-average coverage guy in the NFL and was known even in college more for excelling as a run stopper than for his coverage skills. Do you think they fear their cornerbacks will get beat deep if they play near the line because they lack elite speed? It's perplexing. 

Yeah, that's the basic understanding. Which falls apart because they get beat deep anyway. (To be fair, yesterday was an outlier so far this season. But it was really bad.)

Also, Jaylon Jones has been pretty good in coverage, IMO. He just hasn't been able to make enough plays at the catchpoint, but he's been in phase and in pretty good position most of the time. 

One more thing about scheme: Look at how often we wind up with a LB or a safety matched up down the field with a playmaking WR. The defense does a lot of zone matching, so this isn't a surprise. But if Bradley is so scared of his outside corners getting beat deep, why does his scheme allow outmatched LBs and safeties to get isolated on downfield receivers so frequently? It rings hollow. 

And here's where I really get frustrated: It doesn't get much worse than it was yesterday. We allowed a ridiculously high completion percentage by giving up the first ten yards of the field, presumably to avoid getting beat deep. But then we also got beat deep. The foundational principle of Bradley's defense -- don't get beat deep -- is supposed to explain the ultra conservative nature of his play calling, but when it's failing at that founding principle, what's the point? 

Yesterday's game reminded me of when we got taken apart by Lamar Jackson on MNF. Eberflus was still here, and he was just as conservative as Bradley, just in different ways. We lost some starting defensive players in that game, so it was rough. But Jackson went 37/43, and the Ravens went four straight possessions in the second half without even getting to third down. These are fundamental failures. You're afraid of big plays, but the results don't get worse than that. The Jags offense basically did the same thing yesterday. Yeah, the defense got a couple stops here and there, but fundamentally, our scheme is a failure. We give up easy completions, and big plays. And that's on Bradley.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s probably bc Flacco was showing everyone what a legit qb looks like and we all know the Colts are going back to Richardson next Sunday.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

It’s probably bc Flacco was showing everyone what a legit qb looks like and we all know the Colts are going back to Richardson next Sunday.

Well if you like one dimension football ,Flacco is your guy. Also, that fumble of his at the end of first half was huge. It was at minimum a 3 pt swing. Nobody seems to be talking about that.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You guys ever listen to Kevin’s morning show with his cohost Andy Sweeney. The kid didn’t even play yesterday and he is out there creating drama that does not exist. Trashing AR when the kid didn’t even play.

Andy just arrived last year. He’s not an Indy guy and hasn't lived through the full revolving door of QBs.  If I were new to the situation, I might be for letting Flacco play, too.

No, if Richardson is healthy, he needs to play.  The organization has to come to a resolution on Richardson and Ballard.