Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Oline graded number one in NFL

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Goes to show you how Shane is wasting our OL with some ridiculous play calling and misusing Taylor and AR and our offense in general.  Our offense’s inability to score and even stay on the field is a major reason for this start.  Getting clobbered in time of possession is a recipe for failure every time.

11 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

If the Run D was just average we’d be 2-0 right now.

Don’t think so.  The offense can’t stay on the field.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Goes to show you how Shane is wasting our OL with some ridiculous play calling and misusing Taylor and AR and our offense in general.  Our offense’s inability to score and even stay on the field is a major reason for this start.  Getting clobbered in time of possession is a recipe for failure every time.

Stop acting like this is an either/or thing. It's both.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Our offense’s inability to score and even stay on the field is a major reason for this start.

Yes.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Goes to show you how Shane is wasting our OL with some ridiculous play calling and misusing Taylor and AR and our offense in general.

No.

13 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

That’s my point.  People are blaming this start entirely on the defense and giving up the run yards.  That’s what I’m reading all over this site.  It’s not just the defense.  The offense has dropped the ball and can’t get going behind the current number one OL in football.  They are equally to blame.  But the focus here is primarily on the defense.  That’s not fair to them.  There are 11 players or so on offense who are not getting the job done.

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hard to stay on the field when teams have long drives running straight down the Colts throats over and over again.

11 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Hard to stay on the field when teams have long drives running straight down the Colts throats over and over again.

The offense is supposed to stay on the field and not go three and out the majority of the time.  Especially with a great OL.   That’s not on the defense.  Offense has to convert and they don’t so the defense goes back out.  Offense has to score and they don’t.  Hard to win that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Wait what? Really? Have they watched the same games we have?!

A line may look worse with a QB that is scrambling vs a pocket passer. Hard to maintain blocks for that long, especially without getting a holding call against you...never knowing just where behind you the QB is at any given time

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The offense is supposed to stay on the field and not go three and out the majority of the time.  Especially with a great OL.   That’s not on the defense.  Offense has to convert and they don’t so the defense goes back out.  Offense has to score and they don’t.  Hard to win that way.

agreed... IF the offense put together long drives, the D wouldnt be on the field so much, gassed the whole time... We have had the ball 40min on offense this season in 2 games combined... our D has been on the field 80 minutes in 2 games combined...  a big part is our QB but our coach's play calling isnt helping anyone, either.   he needs to give Richardson some layups to start the game, lean on Taylor more (hasnt had 20 carries in a game yet).... If Richardson proves he cannot hit the layups, then he wont last long in the NFL...you cant rely on 60 yard passes every game and hope to be any good as a team or player.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Week 1 was on the run defense.

Week 2 was more about poor QB play. The run defense eas no better but I dont think thats why they lost.

The OL has been pretty good, however I dont think theyve been the best line in football. 

Good to see someone else say it, I see a lot of blame put on the WRs but what's more realistic Michael Pittman suddenly became lazy and worse at route running after averaging 7 catches and 72 yards per game last year or the young inexperienced/inaccurate QB isn't getting the ball to them.

Nothing against AR but I think the lack of passing is more on him then the WRs

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This really shows PFF's true value  in grading players and lines. Watching the 1st 2 games does anyone really walk away from the TV believing that this is an elite Oline? Be honest!!

Have you watched every other game to be able to grade and compare the other 31 Offensive lines to that of the Colts?

• Like 3

Just now, Jason_ said:

Have you watched every other game to be able to grade and compare the other 31 Offensive lines to that of the Colts?

Thats not what I asked. Did you walk away from the TV feeling that this was an elite offensive line. When PFF ranks them number 1, I don't have to watch other games. They are telling me they are #1 based on their grading system. When you are ranked number, that is telling me you are elite. You know the best in the league. Do you think they are elite?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thats not what I asked. Did you walk away from the TV feeling that this was an elite offensive line. When PFF ranks them number 1, I don't have to watch other games. They are telling me they are #1 based on their grading system. When you are ranked number, that is telling me you are elite. You know the best in the league. Do you think they are elite?

your question is irrelevant.  Just because they have been ranked #1 does not automatically mean they are elite.  It means they are graded the highest right now of the 32 teams.  What if none of them are currently playing at an elite level?  

45 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

a big part is our QB but our coach's play calling isnt helping anyone, either.   he needs to give Richardson some layups to start the game, lean on Taylor more (hasnt had 20 carries in a game yet).... If Richardson proves he cannot hit the layups,

Agree to a point but there are more details to this, IMO. 

Despite running well, running has not produced points.  We don't have players that can pound it in the RZ when the box fills up.  That may be due to AR not being the same runner as Hurts, if you want to compare similar offenses.  Its either a big play TD running game, or a between the 20s running game....but, it's not a point scoring running game.  The failure to score points means we are playing from behind...in both games...and that simply reduces the running game calls as the game wears on like it would for all teams.

1 hour ago, Never_Quit said:

I don’t think he’s excusing the run defense.  I think he’s trying to shine a light j the offense problem that is being over looked by some.  As bad as the first half was Sunday the run defense was MUCH better in the second half even without Buckner for most of it.  Still the offense struggled, especially outside of Taylor running or Pierce catching, so if you asked me which I am more concerned about right now it’s the offense because at least the defense put together a strong half in their last half of football.  

The offense in the first game was all deep shots or nothing.  The Packers made the adjustments to that which was take away the deep shots and said beat us driving the ball.  Shane choose to put the game in the hands of his young QB who was clearly struggling Sunday rather than his superstar back who was having a great game running the ball.  That’s why some are being so hard on Shane.  Then after the game some said the oline wasn’t playing well and this is more proof that’s not the case.  

don’t get me wrong the defense needs to prove they can do it for a whole game not just a half so it’s fair to be concerned about that too but it’s been hammered to death.  I took Richard’s post as an attempt to shine a light on a problem that is being ignored by some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This really shows PFF's true value  in grading players and lines. Watching the 1st 2 games does anyone really walk away from the TV believing that this is an elite Oline? Be honest!!

But AR has thrown off his back foot more than he needs.  Looks rushed to the eye but really isn't...same with pulling it and taking off.  JT did not play well despite the OL blocking pretty well against HOU.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

That has nothing to do with the offense staying on the field.  One of the ways to stop teams from winning the TOP 40 to 20 is to sustain long drives on offense which the offense has failed to do.  The defensive struggles have nothing to do with the offense inability to stay on the field.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agree to a point but there are more details to this, IMO. 

Despite running well, running has not produced points.  We don't have players that can pound it in the RZ when the box fills up.  That may be due to AR not being the same runner as Hurts, if you want to compare similar offenses.  Its either a big play TD running game, or a between the 20s running game....but, it's not a point scoring running game.  The failure to score points means we are playing from behind...in both games...and that simply reduces the running game calls as the game wears on like it would for all teams.

The fact that teams dont have to respect Richardson's short/mid passing game as of now, is also a factor once we get to a short field

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That has nothing to do with the offense staying on the field.  One of the ways to stop teams from winning the TOP 40 to 20 is to sustain long drives on offense which the offense has failed to do.  The defensive struggles have nothing to do with the offense inability to stay on the field.  

This is more connected than you think. This offense is lead by someone that needs a lot of reps and rhythm with his players. Hard to get into any sort of rhythm when you go 3 n out then not see the field for 9-10 mins multiple times throughout the game.  I do agree the offense needs to perform but I disagree these issues on the defense doesn’t effect the offense and Vice versa.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

This is more connected than you think. This offense is lead by someone that needs a lot of reps and rhythm with his players. Hard to get into any sort of rhythm when you go 3 n out then not see the field for 9-10 mins multiple times throughout the game.  I do agree the offense needs to perform but I disagree these issues on the defense doesn’t affect the offense and Vice versa.

Yeah it’s the going three and out that’s the issue.  That has nothing to do with the defense.  That’s all on the offense.  If the offense could sustain a drive you’d also rest the defense so they aren’t spent by the 4th quarter as they clearly were in the Texans game too.  

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This is more connected than you think. This offense is lead by someone that needs a lot of reps and rhythm with his players. Hard to get into any sort of rhythm when you go 3 n out then not see the field for 9-10 mins multiple times throughout the game.  I do agree the offense needs to perform but I disagree these issues on the defense doesn’t effect the offense and Vice versa.

Run the ball with JT.  He had 12 carries.   That's ridiculous.   Pounding the rock with your elite o line and your elite back will help your young qb