Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR15 thru 2 games thus far:

csmopar

59 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I didn’t like the pick when it was made, would have gone lb, dt, or trade down and see what qb drops in the draft. You just don’t take that raw of a qb talent that high in the draft, it’s just not a smart thing to do. I thought he should have been playing more in the preseason to get experience, didn’t happen. I thought he should be picking Joe Flacco’s brain on the sidelines in the preseason, didn’t happen. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a bad feeling about him being a good nfl qb. Other starting qb’s have learned sitting on the bench a couple years behind a good qb, I don’t see why he can’t also. I would play Flacco and make the playoffs!

I agree, but I think Ballard felt like he had to swing for the fences a bit.  I called it a desperation pick at the time, but it made sense to be desperate at that time given the string of QB failures.

If it works out, great, and it probably will.  But it was still a desperation pick, IMO.

Just now, DougDew said:

I agree, but I think Ballard felt like he had to swing for the fences a bit.  I called it a desperation pick at the time, but it made sense to be desperate at that time given the string of QB failures.

If it works out, great, and it probably will.  But it was still a desperation pick, IMO.

No it wasnt  lol 

40 minutes ago, Nate! said:

Flacco would be 0-2 also.

I don’t understand fan fiction like AR should be picking Flacco’s brain.  None of us have any idea whether he is or isn’t. Him and Flacco could spend hours in the QB room.  Who knows.

This is all unknown.   Maybe Flacco would be 2-0.   I doubt is.    Maybe 1-1.   However, I don't want to see him take any time away from AR.  

We need to get this guy his first win of his career. Let him taste what that feels like. I got no doubt he's going to be good. Just needs to keep playing and we gotta scheme things a little better for him. Hopefully the ball placement improves. Bro definitely wants to be great. I know that much.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I agree.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I guess that’s my biggest gripe with Richardson. Huge project that Has accuracy problems and for all we know may never pan out. So many people/fans are willing/accepting to throw away the season so he can get experience. I wonder if the other players on the team feel that way? I for one would like to win now. This season. It is what it is though. But I really hope it’s not “multi-years”. I really think he needs to get some additional quarterback coaching.

The Colts should have drafted other positions and left that draft class for qb's alone. After wentz, and the other has beens came and went, hind sight being 20/20, Carr was available, Mayfield lobbied to come here. There were alternatives that could have worked out . The Colts are truly in a rebuild situation if you are going to allow your signal caller to take all the snaps for the next couple of years hoping to get better regardless the win/loss totals. Good luck getting free agents to come to town.

Oh wait, Ballard does not do business like that. What about Mo Cox. Been developing slowly under the Ballard for years.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Yeah, I would’ve been good with Baker Mayfield.

The QB I wanted after Luck was Stafford. I don’t know if we would’ve won a Super Bowl, but we would’ve been a contender.

I also liked Carr to us, but we had already done the vet song and dance too much by that point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lester said:

This. This is what I believe.

It is my opinion that the ‘weird’ play calling is in fact a deliberate strategy to train Richardson to become an accomplished pocket QB. He has to play like this now so he can learn it. It ain’t gonna learn itself.

It seems to me that Steichen (with direction from Ballard?) is scripting situations for Richardson that are outside of his comfort zone. As has been repeatedly commented on, AR is all potential. He has no history. He only has potential. Loads of it. Perhaps they are sacrificing his present in order to develop this potential so he has a future.

…But Lester, that don’t make no sense. Why would they sabotage the games this year? Don’t they want to win games? I’m not suggesting they are okay with losing. I think the games are still winnable (and so do they); while at the same time, they are scripting Richardson’s lesson plans. That is, IF the defense shows up. AND THAT is the problem. Who would have guessed that run defense would be a problem for this team, this year? Not me. 

If the running success of our two opponents so far this year had been only half of what it has been. Not great, but half; this team would be 2-0, even while Richardson experiments in Steichen’s QB boot camp.

You're giving this coaching staff way too much credit.  Its like saying the coyote didn't want to catch the roadrunner until he got bigger drum sticks from running.

On 9/15/2024 at 10:35 PM, Patrick Miller said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how patient Colts fans will be with Richardson halfway through the season when we haven’t won a game.

We just need to do what we thought we should. Shane need to run the damn ball and JT should be the main thing which I thought we was going to do until year 2-3 of AR. Like you paid JT to be the man AR has ability but need to be brought along  slow. This is basically his rookie year. That why I’m so upset of the injury last year because this year would be him making some progress vs starting from square 1 

• Like 1

Holder had some great points on the radio today. He said AR was expected to have ups and downs. But the team around him was supposed to lift him up. Right now they are basically asking him to play hero ball and be Superman. Non of the vets are doing their part. He said Taylor and Pierce are the exceptions then Steichen takes Taylor off the field.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I was surprised, and disappointed.  But in the NFL, stuff happens. Forever burned in my brain is the Jags in 2006 collecting 375 rushing yards and a big win against the Colts. The only thing that was stopping Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew's running that day was the end zone line.

The 2006 Colts gave up over 100 yards or more every game in 2006. Coaches and players were able to clean it up in the playoffs and the Colts won the Superbowl that year.

NFL, stuff happens, and AR will be on a roller coaster. But I hold on to hope of his improvement with experience.

Man, I think I still have PTSD from that game. Nightmare fuel for Colts fans. It's a good reminder, though. That team got it fixed, and we know this group is capable of stopping the run.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Are  the bears just suppose to give up on Williams. How about the broncos and NIX. Anthony had a higher floor than these two guys because of his athletic ability. AR knows how to play QB. Now it’s just having patience while he fine tunes everything.

Naw, they'll wait until 6 games in and then give up on them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nobody I guess remembers how bad manning was his rookie year. AR isn’t close to that bad.  You have to have patience with a young QB. The pieces around have to step up and help the kid so he isn’t playing Superman while he is learning.

This is overblown. Peyton had his struggles as a rookie, especially with interceptions, but he also set NFL rookie records for completions (326), attempts (575), passing yards (3,739) and touchdown passes (26). He finished third in the NFL in passing yards. The Colts' worst problem that season was a terrible defense that gave up the second-most yards and second-most points in the league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This is overblown. Peyton had his struggles as a rookie, especially with interceptions, but he also set NFL rookie records for completions (326), attempts (575), passing yards (3,739) and touchdown passes (26). He finished third in the NFL in passing yards. The Colts' worst problem that season was a terrible defense that gave up the second-most yards and second-most points in the league. 

Plus, Manning was a much better prospect and that was a very different era of the NFL. 

What about the laundry list of QBs who struggled and never got better?

Don't see a Peyton comparison as more valid than a Zach Wilson comparison. They are both meaningless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder had some great points on the radio today. He said AR was expected to have ups and downs. But the team around him was supposed to lift him up. Right now they are basically asking him to play hero ball and be Superman. Non of the vets are doing their part. He said Taylor and Pierce are the exceptions then Steichen takes Taylor off the field.

I agree with this..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No, he's not making valid points.  He's exaggerating the facts to help protect his feelings from getting hurt from realizing his favorite player sucked. 

Shane is simply wanting AR to not throw bad passes, He's not asking AR to make exceptional passes.  Holder must be going blind, or just shilling.

AR threw normal NFL passes on the Colts only TD drive, the only drive where JT wasn't on the field and the only drive where we scored a TD.  AR hero'ed the 4th down conversion, but that isn't the issue.  

Just now, DougDew said:

No, he's not making valid points.  He's exaggerating the facts to help protect his feelings from getting hurt from realizing his favorite player sucked. 

Shane is simply wanting AR to not throw bad passes, He's not asking AR to make exceptional passes.  Holder must be going blind, or just shilling  over and over and over.

AR threw normal NFL passes on the Colts only TD drive, the only drive where JT wasn't on the field and the only drive where we scored a TD.  AR hero'ed the 4th down conversion, but that isn't the issue.  

Wrong 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Shane is simply wanting AR to not throw bad passes, He's not asking AR to make exceptional passes.  Holder must be going blind, or just shilling.

The Colts passed 34 times vs. 18 runs. That's not helping your young QB.

The Colts should've come out wanting to run the ball down the opponents throats with AR and JT and then AR would punish them for stacking the box with his arm. Instead Steichen has laid an egg with his game-planning for two straight games.

I'm not saying AR is faultless - FAR from it. But, AR has gotten zero help from his HC and several veteran pass catchers.

Look at what the Chargers are doing. They ran 44 times vs. 20 passes against the Panthers (of all teams) and they have an established QB with a cannon of an arm. I'm not saying it should be a 2:1 split, but let's run the ball with our hyper athletic QB and our top 10 RB, can we?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Colts should've come out wanting to run the ball down the opponents throats with AR and JT and then AR would punish them for stacking the box with his arm. Instead Steichen has laid an egg with his game-planning for two straight games.

I'm not saying AR is faultless - FAR from it. But, AR has gotten zero help from his HC and several veteran pass catchers.

Look at what the Chargers are doing. They ran 44 times vs. 20 passes against the Panthers (of all teams) and they have an established QB with a cannon of an arm. I'm not saying it should be a 2:1 split, but let's run the ball with our hyper athletic QB and our top 10 RB, can we?

Richardson isn't among the NFL leaders among QBs in rushing attempts over the first two games. Is this a reaction to last year's injuries or would it have been the plan all along? (He has 10 rushes in 2 games in 2024; he had 25 rushes in 4 games - some of them partial games - in 2023). Will/should his frequency of running the ball increase in the games ahead and what does that mean for his short-term and long-term success?

image.png.6d42222e0fa9e0155a5c5be2e8bf93dd.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Richardson isn't among the NFL leaders among QBs in rushing attempts over the first two games. Is this a reaction to last year's injuries or would it have been the plan all along? (He has 10 rushes in 2 games in 2024; he had 25 rushes in 4 games - some of them partial games - in 2023). Will/should his frequency of running the ball increase in the games ahead and what does that mean for his short-term and long-term success?

image.png.6d42222e0fa9e0155a5c5be2e8bf93dd.png

Sad. Personally I'd like to see 30 rush attempts MINIMUM from us each game. 10-ish designed runs from AR and 20+ from JT & co.

AR needs to learn the NFL. I appreciate he'd like to be more of a passer, but let him learn how to play in the NFL, before he starts making statements like that.

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why do you keep pumping up AR like he wasn't the problem with the offense.

My guess is they got/get their talking points from Colts Twitter and the Colts podcasts. And those outlets are rampant AR fans that seem to have a pretty clear agenda.

If they are critical, it's will be something like "AR didn't play well, but...."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Sorry, "the Steich's" analytics said to give the backup running backs "some touches" - you know, like it was a preseason game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I guess that’s my biggest gripe with Richardson. Huge project that Has accuracy problems and for all we know may never pan out. So many people/fans are willing/accepting to throw away the season so he can get experience. I wonder if the other players on the team feel that way? I for one would like to win now. This season. It is what it is though. But I really hope it’s not “multi-years”. I really think he needs to get some additional quarterback coaching.

The minute you draft a young QB. You have signed up for the waiting experience. If you don't want to wait then settle in for the veteran QB ride Ballard did for years. You cannot do both.

I get it. We are all fans and not the captains of this ship so talk and more talk is all we got, but can we at least talk coherently? How else do you get experience to a young QB without playing the fella??!?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

At pick 4, yes it was, IMO.  AR is a developmental QB, period.  We all know it.  

Hard to say whether it was a pick made out of desperation. That's a plausible line of thinking though.

However, I think the pick was borne more out of a refusal to trade an absurd number of assets to move up. i.e. they knew they wouldn't get Stroud or Young so AR grew to diamond in their eyes. I basically question their process, and always have because I think Chris Ballard makes some really poor judgement calls IMHO.

AR isnt a traditional top 5 pick because everyone could see his rawness. A player picked that early should be a blue chipper ready to contribute from day 1 not a developmental pick...**BUT** if you're ever going to make that gamble, you do it on a guy who breaks the mold in every way, a guy whose upside could change the game so yeah, AR is a developmental 4th pick but his upside means it's fine to wait..., fans don't like waiting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why do you keep pumping up AR like he wasn't the problem with the offense.

Did you see all those dropped passes Sunday. The players around him aren’t helping him. What about that poor rush defense. That’s the point. There are enough vets on this team where they should be lifting him up while he is learning. That also mean Steichen has to do a better job with play calling and the run game. The vets are not carrying their weight where every mistake AR gets amplified. That should not be happening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Too many times?  How many 4th quarters has he made it to?   

Exactly. He's played in 4 of them. Feels very forced and almost apologetic.

And it didn't even happen in all 4 games. He did not do that against JAC or GB. In both cases, he unfortunately threw back-breaking INTs in those games. He did not put the team on his back.

He did against the LAR and somewhat against HOU (with his teammates making huge plays on both of those TD drives). 

1. Any comparisons with Manning are just silly at this point. Manning is on another planet compared to AR

2. Steichen is starting to tick me off with his bullheadedness. He likes to answer questions with distain and double down

3. EVERYONE knew he was wildly inaccurate at Florida but we overlooked that because of his size, speed, big arm and running ability.

We are pretty stuck with Ballard's recent decisions with draft picks and not going after talent in free agency. No help for the defensive backfield and that affecting the whole defense.  Its going to be a long season but with the lack of talent or effort by some players on defense AR is going to win games on his own and he is ready for that. This looks to be a season where if nothing changes we will not make the playoffs again! That is the reason Ballard should go if it all goes south   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is AR rookie year. Go look at how bad the rookies are this year. We have seen the flashes now ir just has to be consistant 

I wrote this in another thread:

Peyton Manning went 3-13. Stafford 2-8. Elway 4-7. Montana went 2-14. Aikman 0-11. Eli Manning was 2-7 (48.2% completion). 

• Like 1