Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Packers post game thread

GoColts8818

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

The problem I have is that Taylor had only 12 carries and had over 100 yards. 8.6 a carry.

I mean what is Shane doing?

This isnt the offense I envisioned.

I was seeing a run focused, play action attack with occasional deep shots.

Anthony wont succeed if we ask him to carry the load. 

100% agree. Steichen is playcalling like AR is a veteran. He needs to give him a chance. 

I do think they panicked a little because they had so little TOP. They never got a rhythm going before AR started airing it out. They lost sight of the Packers only being up by 2 scores.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Not that it's 100% give up time but it's safe to say we're in a tough spot where this can easily start to crumble and get ugly fast. 

We're DEFINITELY having trouble stopping the run. 200+ in 2 weeks and our anchor on that side will DEFINITELY be missing time.

The good news is they got it under control in the second half when the Packers were trying to run but then the Packers adjusted and went to the pass and well we saw the results.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Gus plan should have been stopping the run. That’s it.  If Steichen had been competent we would of won despite the defense.

I’m sure it was. Players have gap assignments and need to make tackles. They aren’t doing it in the first two games. It’s too bad many of the players were retained for more money. Anyway they supposedly have a good locker room. 

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

I’m sure it was. Players have gap assignments and need to make tackles. They aren’t doing it in the first two games. It’s too bad many of the players were retained for more money. Anyway they supposedly have a good locker room. 

No it wasn’t. Greg Olson mentioned several times the light boxes. 

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Luck had a completion percentage of 54.1% his rookie year. 

2012: 54.1%

2013: 60.2%

2014: 61.7%

2015: 55.3%

2016: 63.5%

He has a career completion percentage of 60.8%. Someone told me here today you need a completion percentage of 65+% to be good, lol.

Peyton Manning 56.7% his rookie year.

Both Luck and Manning had SIGNIFICANTLY more experience than AR coming into the league. Josh Allen is another guy with a bad cp through his first TWO seasons actually. He had a bad cp in college as well.

You don't like AR, fine. But you haven't even given him a chance. That's just hating.

I don’t hate the dude. I just want a competent quarterback …not just an athlete. He stunk it up today, man. If We would’ve had a more accurate quarterback we would’ve won the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t hate the dude. I just want a competent quarterback …not just an athlete. He stunk it up today, man. We would’ve had a more accurate quarterback we would’ve won the game.

Did you say the same thing when Luck was overthrowing his targets?

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t hate the dude. I just want a competent quarterback …not just an athlete. He stunk it up today, man. We would’ve had a more accurate quarterback we would’ve won the game.

If it were not for dropped passes we win this game. This wasn’t all on AR. It was also on Steichen and the WR.

9 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

I understand that he's a project, but living in Gainesville and having to watch him play for the Gators, then go to the Colts? I've had a bit more experience watching Richardson than most. 

He's just not good. He's an athlete sure, but he's the same player he was in college. Inaccurate, but a cannon arm. 

Sure his intangibles are good. His body type is Cam Newton, and he's got the arm strength of Bradshaw, but his game sense is just subpar. It's the small things that add up. 

The RPO mistakes today were killers. Not even talking interceptions. Just not recognizing the correct read cost the Colts a drive in the 4th quarter, and led to Sermon getting wrecked for a loss. (I believe that was the missed FG drive). 

If you understand that he’s a project, then you wouldn’t be worried about his play at Florida or declaring him a bust after his 6th start.

His problems are fixable.  Will they get fixed?  I don’t know.  But it’s silly to sit here today and declare that they won’t.

• Like 3

Just wait until colts play Fields in two weeks who can throw and run. lol 

5 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

You don’t think the running game was a point of emphasis with Willis as the GB quarterback? I do so if it wasn’t then all these coaches need to be shown the door. 

It clearly wasn’t or they wouldn’t of had light boxes.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don’t recall luck being this bad, but I do remember *ing when he threw a boneheaded pick. How long are you willing to be patient with this guy?

Well, here's the way I see it: This is AR's rookie season to me. Ups and downs are to be expected. I just want to be able to see he's better from week 1 to week 18.

Next season he has to keep building off of what he learns this season. He has to take big steps in 2025. 

What he needs to learn he needs to learn on the field. Taking him off the field at this point will just destroy his confidence. If they wanted to sit him they should've done that from the get go (incidentally, I advocated for sitting him from the start).

• Like 2

• AR should have been a 4th round developmental draft pick in hopes of becoming NFL backup quality...but its okay to say that about Sam Ehlinger and Stetson Bennett despite their awesome college resume's.
  • The defense is NOT the reason the offense can't score.  Its the offense.  Its the QB.
  • Alec Pierce gets better separation than Pittman.
  • JT found the boundary...sometimes by himself.  Hallelujah. 
  • Why did so many think the TE room was stacked, LOL.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Well, here's the way I see it: This is AR's rookie season to me. Ups and downs are to be expected. I just want to be able to see he's better from week 1 to week 18.

Next season he has to keep building off of what he learns this season. He has to take big steps in 2025. 

What he needs to learn he needs to learn on the field. Taking him off the field at this point will just destroy his confidence. If they wanted to sit him they should've done that from the get go (incidentally, I advocated for sitting him from the start).

Maybe. Although leaving him in when he’s struggling might be detrimental. I think it’s gonna be a brutal season my friend…. honestly it feels like we’ve been cursed ever since we let Manning go.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I could support benching AR and starting Flacco.  AR is not ready.  It’s a win now league.  Richardson just is not ready to win.  He needs to develop.  Playing him could easily cost us the playoffs.  Flacco could get us in and maybe AR can work on his accuracy during practice and not lose us games.

That' ain't gonna happen Richardson needs experience more than anything, and the Colts aren't going to deprive him of that.

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Please dont compare Luck to Anthony lol

AR is not on Luck's level - yet at least. I was purely talking accuracy. Luck had a cannon of an arm too and relied on that too much as well early on. Led to a lot of overthrows.

AR is a lot more raw. Decision making and accuracy will get better with practice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

But I was told we needed to sign veteran secondary players this season because we're close to winning the Division.

• Like 1

It’s obvious to me we wouldn’t have won nine games last year if AR played the entire season.  Same goes for this year.  I think Flacco could get us in this year with this roster.  AR has a long way to go.  I don’t care for the way he delivers the ball either.  His arm motion makes for more inaccurate throws imo.  Throws hard with a lot of heat no doubt.  But I don’t like the motion.  He tends to overthrow the target a lot.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some thoughts.

On offense:

• I think Downs is proving to be a bigger loss than I would have anticipated. I think AR is missing a guy that can get open quickly and keep the offense on schedule.
  • For the money were paying Pittman, he isn't good enough to take over the passing attack, and we're seeing the argument why he isn't a true WR1 flesh out now.
  • I think when Downs comes back, I think we'll see Mitchell be used situationally, he has flashed, but isn't reliable enough to be out there +50% of the time.
  • Shane needs to do a better job playcalling obviously too. But I think they'll get things fixed eventually.
  • TE room will need be be overhauled next offseason. Likely we go here Day 2 in the draft next year

On Defense:

• Same thoughts as most, just embarrassing we can't stop the runs. If Buck is out for a period of time, we're going to be in a deeper hole.
  • Our LB play is awful, I thought we might see Speed take a  step forward on a contract year but it's not happening. 
  • I'm not sure what happened with the edge defenders, but I'm pretty sure Paye got benched during the game for Dayo (who in fairness did play well at LDE). But then I think Latu was ruled out during the second half and Paye came back in. Paye was outright atrocious at setting the edge today
  • I think it's easy to forgot that amidst all the awful run defending, our pass defense is pretty horrendous too. Will went 12/14, 122 yards , TD and a rating of 126.8. Just inexcusable really.
  • Thought Cross played hard again, one of the few bright spots so far
  • Bradley won't last the year at this rate, outcoached comfortably by Slovik and LaFluer these past two weekend 
  • Like 2