Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonothan Taylor and the run game.

Frenchy789

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Last year no one feared the Colts deep pass game so they could stack the box.  You could have Payton, Sanders, Smith or any other back of your choice back there and they would have struggles being consistent facing that.

Richardson hitting the deep throws is going to open things up for Taylor and the run game if he can do it on a consistent basis.  

whatever your think about Wentz he could fling it down the field it’s not an accident Taylor played so well with him at QB than with Ryan or Gardner who teams knew couldn’t get the ball down the field.  

I think there’s that possibility for sure time will tell

I've been saying this since we drafted JT, but why do the Colts not utilize the stretch play?  Edge was very successful with that play, and the OL and RB are supposed to be as good if not better now.  Get JT outside the edges and it would open up more running lanes.  JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I've been saying this since we drafted JT, but why do the Colts not utilize the stretch play?  Edge was very successful with that play, and the OL and RB are supposed to be as good if not better now.  Get JT outside the edges and it would open up more running lanes.  JMO

Absolutely what I think as well

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I would really like to see AR under center from time to time.   Handing the ball to the back while he is standing still all the time I don't like.    Take advantage of your olines strength.    Take the snap under center, let your oline blast of the ball,  give the ball to Jt with a head of steam.   The Texans utilized the toss and stretch all day.   I'm not sure that can be done effectively being in shotgun every single play. 

I was preaching this all last year with Minshew. Steichen always runs out of the shotgun. I remember when we got ahead in a game, he finally went under center, and it was much better results for our running game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frenchy789 said:

Yeah on 2-point conversion, I don't know why he cut back inside and on the 3rd and goal, he just ran right into the O-line melee assuming there would be an opening instead of looking and cutting to the outside where there was no one.

I don't want to a couch running back, I know I could never do it and have almost no idea what I'm talking about but the shiftyness he used to have isn't there.. at least today it wasn't!

I thought the play design was stupid bc JT is not a good side ways runner. He is better with his shoulders square.  We should have chose someone else for the play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Thought we should have pressed running with JT a little harder. We got away from it.

I think we would have had the defense not crapped the bed.

19 pass to 16 JT runs + 6 AR runs. There’s only so many touches to go around and when you only have the ball for 20 mins and you’re behind it’s difficult to realistically give more touches to the RB. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

JT hasn’t been JT since he got his contract. Which is exactly why I was one of the rare few saying to cut him

Cut him? I thought he played well last season when he came back especially since he was working his way back from injury. You don’t cut a guy of his caliber. This is literally the first game of the season we shouldn’t overreact. 

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Cut him? I thought he played well last season when he came back especially since he was working his way back from injury. You don’t cut a guy of his caliber. This is literally the first game of the season we shouldn’t overreact. 

I meant at the time of the contract dispute

• Like 1

The run game is dependent more on the blocking than on the ability of the back. Thus... I'm having hard time evaluating Taylor's performance when the OL was having trouble creating push and gaps. :dunno:

And that's one of the reasons you don't pay RBs big money. Yes, they are fun to watch and some of the best athletes out there... But they are some of the most dependent on other players positions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

JT seemed to dance more than I remember, but the holes were inconsistent though.  Despite blazing speed, he still seemed to shy away from bouncing much outside and tried to always find something between the hashes.  Its just who he is, IMO. 

I feel like his running style has changed since 2021. Back then, he would hit holes right away, with no hesitation, and make opportunities when there were none. Now, I'm seeing slow moving legs and "patience". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2024 at 4:43 PM, Frenchy789 said:

Yeah on 2-point conversion, I don't know why he cut back inside and on the 3rd and goal, he just ran right into the O-line melee assuming there would be an opening instead of looking and cutting to the outside where there was no one.

I don't want to a couch running back, I know I could never do it and have almost no idea what I'm talking about but the shiftyness he used to have isn't there.. at least today it wasn't!

I agree that JT seemingly misread the defense on the 2-point play.  I don’t think 2021 JT gets stopped short.  With that being said,  it’s clear that Houston’s game plan was to take JT out of the game and they did that. Our O-Line also didn’t play very well.  I’m hoping with time and reps they get better.  It’s only the 3rd full game with AR.  These things take time 

39 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

It would be nice to see a bootleg. Was there one at all on Sunday? 

playcalling felt very limited and deliberate. maybe they are trying not to overwhelm AR

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He sat and watched all last season. I don’t think this is the case 

okay? he's still extremely inexperienced, and very much still a project at QB, far from a finished refined product. I expect they become more creative with the play calling as the season goes on, including giving AR more options and checks as the game slows down.