Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New turf?

mirobi48

23 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

Seems like a lot of toe injuries first time playing on it? Wearing the wrong style of shoes? 

They played twice on that field, the rest were on the practice field.   There were two toe injuries, right?  Did both occur on the new turf?

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They played twice on that field, the rest were on the practice field.   There were two toe injuries, right?  Did both occur on the new turf?

Yes. Both Woods and Bortolini got injured in preseason game vs Arizona

• Thanks 1

I’m not sure if someone has access or the time to look back at the two preseason games played at LOS on the new turf BUT there seemed to be an abnormal amount of players slipping or losing their footing during the first two games.

Enough for me to question why so many people were tripping/ slipping over themselves.

2 hours ago, Bravo said:

I’m not sure if someone has access or the time to look back at the two preseason games played at LOS on the new turf BUT there seemed to be an abnormal amount of players slipping or losing their footing during the first two games.

Enough for me to question why so many people were tripping/ slipping over themselves.

Shocked Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Which is ironic considering the new turf is supposed to be reducing injuries compared to the old.

wonder if OP is right, maybe we have the wrong type of shoes for this turf

Could be the shoes….  And/or the size of the cleats.   That takes a game or two to figure out.   Hopefully we’re ready to go with the start of the regulation.  

This is supposed to be the best turf available.  Proven at other stadiums.    Hoping this is much ado about very little.  

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Could be the shoes….  And/or the size of the cleats.   That takes a game or two to figure out.   Hopefully we’re ready to go with the start of the regulation.  

This is supposed to be the best turf available.  Proven at other stadiums.    Hoping this is much ado about very little.  

Same here my friend same here

• Thanks 1

Switch to natural grass? Who would have come up with that solution? Can be done in Indy with out much renovation. Even at US Bank stadium in Minnesota where there is no retractable roof, they said they could convert the stadium for natural grass at a 10 million dollar cost. Nothing for an owner to pay if it's required. Better for the franchises bottom line, when high priced players are getting injured much more frequently on turf.

Again, all NFL stadiums will be required to have natural grass in the very near future.

6 hours ago, Jz0204945 said:

Not a good feeling that it’s brand-new turf and it's already causing injuries.

And how do you know it’s what caused the injuries?  It’s football.  People get hurt all the time regardless of playing surface.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And how do you know it’s what caused the injuries?  It’s football.  People get hurt all the time regardless of playing surface.

How do you know it wasn't you say i dont know it did but i will now come back with how do you know it wasnt you dont. But from what i have seen since Turf has been put on football fields injuries seem to be increasing...

29 minutes ago, Jz0204945 said:

How do you know it wasn't you say i dont know it did but i will now come back with how do you know it wasnt you dont. But from what i have seen since Turf has been put on football fields injuries seem to be increasing...

I never said it wasn’t. You jumped to the conclusion it was by saying it was already causing injuries.  We don’t know if the turf played a role or not so no reason to state it like a fact it did.  What we do know is football is a violent game and injuries happen to all teams regardless of playing surface.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 2:59 AM, PackersNation said:

Switch to natural grass? Who would have come up with that solution? Can be done in Indy with out much renovation. Even at US Bank stadium in Minnesota where there is no retractable roof, they said they could convert the stadium for natural grass at a 10 million dollar cost. Nothing for an owner to pay if it's required. Better for the franchises bottom line, when high priced players are getting injured much more frequently on turf.

Again, all NFL stadiums will be required to have natural grass in the very near future.

You can't have natural grass in Lucas Oil Stadium.  The venue is used for lots of things not Colts related.  

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You can't have natural grass in Lucas Oil Stadium.  The venue is used for lots of things not Colts related.  

If the NFL makes natural grass a requirement, then they have no choice other than converting Lucas Oil to natural grass. The Colts "venue" being used for other things is not of any concern to the NFL.

34 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

If the NFL makes natural grass a requirement, then they have no choice other than converting Lucas Oil to natural grass. The Colts "venue" being used for other things is not of any concern to the NFL.

They won't make it a requirement.   

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I never said it wasn’t. You jumped to the conclusion it was by saying it was already causing injuries.  We don’t know if the turf played a role or not so no reason to state it like a fact it did.  What we do know is football is a violent game and injuries happen to all teams regardless 

8 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Thanks coach!

• Like 1

The new turf is called Hella Matrix Turf. It is used by only 5 teams and uses organic materials instead of rubber pellets. It is supposed to be the best and is currently used by Tennessee. 
It also has support from players. Not sure which ones though. Go to Fox 59 for the story to watch the video. Having trouble linking it. Sorry 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The irony is he is a Packers fan.   They don't have natural grass.  They have a hybrid of grass and turf.  

When you have no clue about something concerning the Packers, please ask before posting fabricated and false information. Thank you. You will never see me posting false information about the Colts. 

It is indeed natural grass. Kentucky Bluegrass to be exact. The grass grows on top of a 5 inch soil foundation. 97% of the field is 100% natural grass. On the lower portion of the foundation there are synthetic fibers that in total comprise 3% of the 87,000 square foot field.

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

^^^ That is what I read.

Slit-film turf — which is only still in use at U.S. Bank Stadium, Paycor Stadium (Cincinnati), and Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis) this season — was shown by NFL and NFL Player's Association data to be associated with a slightly higher risk of non-contact leg injuries. Some stadiums replaced theirs last winter ahead of the 2023 season. The Colts are also planning on replacing their turf next year...

The Vikings looked into the idea of installing a grass surface at the stadium, but found that was not viable due to its multipurpose usage.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-changing-turf-us-bank-stadium-2024-season

For those saying their stadiums have too many other events to have natural grass, it won't matter when the NFL requires all games to be played on natural grass. There are many events at every stadium in the NFL.

And for those that say that the NFL will "never require" that all teams have natural grass: Please enlighten us all on where you got the information that the NFL "will never require" all games be played on natural grass.

2 hours ago, PackersNation said:

For those saying their stadiums have too many other events to have natural grass, it won't matter when the NFL requires all games to be played on natural grass. There are many events at every stadium in the NFL.

And for those that say that the NFL will "never require" that all teams have natural grass: Please enlighten us all on where you got the information that the NFL "will never require" all games be played on natural grass.

OK….  I’ve tried to stay out of this discussion as long as I could, but this latest post requires a response.  A long response, because not only do you have everything wrong, you also have it backwards.  

First, no one here has to present you with any evidence.  You're the one making the assertion so YOU have to present us with proof you’re right.   And I’m afraid that’s going to be hard to do.  

Second, you think Goodell is going to state all teams MUST have grass fields, even in domed stadiums?   Good luck with that.   Goodell may be the commissioner, but he works for the owners, they don’t work for him.  And the owners of teams with domed stadiums aren’t going to vote to have grass fields.  They’re not setup for that.   Their stadiums have turf for good reason. 

Only two teams, Raiders and Cardinals, have domed stadiums with grass.  And those stadiums were built with the space OUTSIDE to hold the grass field for 5 days under the sunshine,  then roll that platform in on Saturday to paint the field so they can play on Sunday.  The rest of the teams with domed stadiums have turf, and no space outside for the grass field to be stored.   So teams like the Cowboys, Texans, Saints, Falcons, Colts, Vikings, Lions plus the Rams and Chargers can’t have grass fields.   Period.  

There is no logic, no common sense, that supports your position.  But if you feel confident you can make the argument, please, be my guest.  Knock yourself out.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PackersNation said:

The NFLPA has more power than the turf loving little fans in Indy. Again, all grass fields is coming whether you like it or not.

I invited you to make the case and the best you can do is to call people here “Turf Lovers” ???    Huh?

I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t pick grass over turf if they could.   But real grass needs real sunshine so until that changes, your argument, including the part about the NFLPA, is DOA. 

Sorry. 

Lucas Oil has had natural grass when it hosts soccer matches since 2013.

And natural grass is permanent at other retractable roof stadiums like American Family Field(formerly Miller Park) in Milwaukee.

One more time, permanent natural grass in Indy is coming quite soon. And all NFL fields will be natural grass in the near future.

Toodle-Loo.

3 hours ago, PackersNation said:

Lucas Oil has had natural grass when it hosts soccer matches since 2013.

And natural grass is permanent at other retractable roof stadiums like American Family Field(formerly Miller Park) in Milwaukee.

One more time, permanent natural grass in Indy is coming quite soon. And all NFL fields will be natural grass in the near future.

Toodle-Loo.

Not sure why you think these are good arguments?   They’re getting worse by the post.   

First, Lucas Oil hosting soccer games years ago or even the Olympic swim trials this year are meaningless.  Because they’re temporary.  Things get hard and complicated once you make them permanent.   And that’s when Science comes into play.   

Good for you that you found one sometimes open air stadium that has turf.  That’s great.  But explain why all the other franchises that have domes aren’t using this magical turf as well?   See?   There’s got to be a good reason why all other dome teams don’t and only one stadium does.   And that’s your job to answer.  

Oh,  and you found that one stadium that has a roof that opens and closes like Lucas Oil.   What about all those teams that have domes which NEVER open.  The grass will die, and you know it.  

Look….  One day science may develop a grass that doesn’t need sunlight.  But until that happens, you’ve got no argument.  And who knows how long it will take to develop that?   I wouldn’t hold your breath.  

It’s clear you think things will happen simply because you say they will.   But you demanded evidence from people here and you’ve yet to offer good evidence now that the tables are turned.   Sorry.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PackersNation said:

The NFLPA has more power than the turf loving little fans in Indy. Again, all grass fields is coming whether you like it or not.

You may be right that one day it will be required for NFL games to be played on natural grass surfaces. However, we don't know that for sure. I noted earlier that the Vikings preferred to change their playing surface to natural grass and found that it was not viable.

Here (link) is an article that explains why.

experts say there wouldn't be enough hours of sunlight a day during our Minnesota winters for natural grass inside the stadium to grow or repair itself without grow lights. 

"Sun angle is lower, so light quality and quantity are poor, so day length is short, and the light angle is weaker. So the grasses themselves are getting less sunlight, which is what they need for photosynthesis," said Dr. Trappe.

Now, if it becomes mandatory that games be played on natural grass surfaces, then the NFL (and possibly colleges) will cross that bridge when that happens. It will cost a lot more to maintain.

I would refrain from calling others names like "turf loving fans in Indy". That upsets the fans here just as it would upset you and me if these fans called us names.

40 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

The NFLPA and the league are already working towards natural grass being mandatory at all NFL stadiums.

Screenshot_20240825-0615312.png.994c6ef6a20ee3aa2f460e72c968b7c6.png

I'm sure that is what they want to do but it is not yet mandatory. Otherwise, the Vikings would have changed their old playing surface to natural grass.

I would like to read the full article. I would appreciate it if you can post a link. Thank you

1 hour ago, PackersNation said:

The NFLPA and the league are already working towards natural grass being mandatory at all NFL stadiums.

Screenshot_20240825-0615312.png.994c6ef6a20ee3aa2f460e72c968b7c6.png

That's NFLPA's recommendation, as they care for players' well being but don't have to care how technologically natural grass surfaces will have to be maintained, which NFL, franchises and NFL owners will have to carry out, that includes maintanence cost yearly which may fall into City government, thus into taxpayers' hands. 

It leads to a whole different discussion, and it takes a generation to move on to natural grass fields and only if they find a viable technology that could work for all towns and stadiums, especially the indoor ones with less space to move in and out of the actual field. 

And, NFL or owners don't have to start implementing NFLPA's recommendation in the first place, so you could be back to where we are right now. 

Similar to what the above 'clipping' said that you gave, a product needs to be developed that satisfies all engineering specifications to replace all stadiums with natural grass surfaces too(!) and it will take a lot of years even if they all start working in that direction, don't you see?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure why you think these are good arguments?   They’re getting worse by the post.   

First, Lucas Oil hosting soccer games years ago or even the Olympic swim trials this year are meaningless.  Because they’re temporary.  Things get hard and complicated once you make them permanent.   And that’s when Science comes into play.   

Good for you that you found one sometimes open air stadium that has turf.  That’s great.  But explain why all the other franchises that have domes aren’t using this magical turf as well?   See?   There’s got to be a good reason why all other dome teams don’t and only one stadium does.   And that’s your job to answer.  

Oh,  and you found that one stadium that has a roof that opens and closes like Lucas Oil.   What about all those teams that have domes which NEVER open.  The grass will die, and you know it.  

Look….  One day science may develop a grass that doesn’t need sunlight.  But until that happens, you’ve got no argument.  And who knows how long it will take to develop that?   I wouldn’t hold your breath.  

It’s clear you think things will happen simply because you say they will.   But you demanded evidence from people here and you’ve yet to offer good evidence now that the tables are turned.   Sorry.

If the Colts would have to put natural grass in, they’d have to build a completely new stadium! Or spend $100mil + to try to put in a water drainage system which they currently do not have or have any interest in doing so. I doubt there will be another stadium built here for atleast another few decades!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PackersNation said:

When you have no clue about something concerning the Packers, please ask before posting fabricated and false information. Thank you. You will never see me posting false information about the Colts. 

It is indeed natural grass. Kentucky Bluegrass to be exact. The grass grows on top of a 5 inch soil foundation. 97% of the field is 100% natural grass. On the lower portion of the foundation there are synthetic fibers that in total comprise 3% of the 87,000 square foot field.

Desso GrassMaster is a turf grass hybrid