Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp July 25th

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Would the analogy have been better if he said do you stop Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen from running?

Yes!   Excellent point.   Smartly said.  

1000 percent agree.    🏆 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only comment I’ve heard or read in the media is basically the same thing.   “We get it, but that’s a bad analogy.”  

I get his point.  I think it was in artfully stated.  

from nfl network 

Taking away half his game would fundamentally change the player the Colts drafted at No. 4 overall a year ago.

Steichen's analogy, however, skirts past that fact that Curry shooting from deep does not in any way increase his injury risk. Richardson taking off can, as evidenced by him leaving three of his four starts early last season.

I don’t see it as a bad analogy. Sure, he “skirts past” the injury risk. But the injury risk is there. It’s there if the pocket collapses and he scrambles out with a spy defender crashing down. It’s always going to be there, and I’m confident they are working to reducing the risk of his running game. But I largely agree that taking away “half his game,” and at this point of his career his best half (by a long shot), would be a huge risk for this franchise as well. His running can mask any slumps in his passing development, and can help this team reach another level in the present. He was drafted to be a runner. Curry was drafted to shoot long balls. If it’s the first thing that came to Steichen’s mind, god forbid he say it… 

Let. The. Boy. Runnnn

nephew GIF

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

from nfl network 

Taking away half his game would fundamentally change the player the Colts drafted at No. 4 overall a year ago.

Steichen's analogy, however, skirts past that fact that Curry shooting from deep does not in any way increase his injury risk. Richardson taking off can, as evidenced by him leaving three of his four starts early last season.

I don’t see it as a bad analogy. Sure, he “skirts past” the injury risk. But the injury risk is there. It’s there if the pocket collapses and he scrambles out with a spy defender crashing down. It’s always going to be there, and I’m confident they are working to reducing the risk of his running game. But I largely agree that taking away “half his game,” and at this point of his career his best half (by a long shot), would be a huge risk for this franchise as well. His running can mask any slumps in his passing development, and can help this team reach another level in the present. He was drafted to be a runner. Curry was drafted to shoot long balls. If it’s the first thing that came to Steichen’s mind, god forbid he say it… 

Let. The. Boy. Runnnn

nephew GIF

Ibthink you have not been reading my posts and I’ve been writing many if them.  So I’ll say it again….

Im in favor of Richardson running.  Have been since the Colts drafted him.  I’m in favor of how Shane plans to use him. 

My only negative comment here is that Shane used a poor analogy.  And the part you hi-lited then cut and pasted here seems like it agrees with me, not with whatever you were trying to say. 

I don’t know why several posters here are not understanding me.  I want AR to run.  I’m pro-AR, I’m pro-Steichen.  I just thought his analogy was poor.  Honestly that’s really all.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only comment I’ve heard or read in the media is basically the same thing.   “We get it, but that’s a bad analogy.”  

I get his point.  I think it was in artfully stated.  

I don't think it's a bad analogy. 

The concern that people have is that if Richardson is used too much in the run game, it increases his risk of getting hurt. So Steichen saying 'you don't stop Curry from shooting threes' might seem like he's misunderstanding the concern.

But the way I understand it, Steichen is saying 'you don't restrict a player from doing the thing that makes them special.' He's not addressing the injury concern, he's countering that concern by saying the Colts aren't going to allow it to dominate their approach. Because, just like Curry's three point proficiency makes him special, Richardson's ability to run makes him special. 

And I think that's a great way to make his point. JMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

No, no.  You misunderstand.  I’m in favor of AR running, as Allen and Jackson do.   I’m in favor of how Shane plans to do so. 

My comment is ONLY about the analogy.   I thought it was poor.   That’s it.   

No worries man....what can be unburdened by what has been

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My only negative comment here is that Shane used a poor analogy.  And the part you hi-lited then cut and pasted here seems like it agrees with me, not with whatever you were trying to say. 

I’m not sure it seems to agree with you. You said all you were reading was “we get it but that was a bad analogy.” What I shared was the first thing i found when I searched to see what people were saying. They agreed with Steichen, and said “but he skirts around the injury risk.” Is that them saying it’s a bad analogy? I have really yet to find an article that used that quote say it was a bad one. Maybe it’s just interpretation. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe it is just me, but I loved the analogy. His point was you don't take away a person's best strength. I guess some didn't get it Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

No, I understood that analogy. Which is why I used confused/annoyed Ron Swanson. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's a bad analogy. 

The concern that people have is that if Richardson is used too much in the run game, it increases his risk of getting hurt. So Steichen saying 'you don't stop Curry from shooting threes' might seem like he's misunderstanding the concern.

But the way I understand it, Steichen is saying 'you don't restrict a player from doing the thing that makes them special.' He's not addressing the injury concern, he's countering that concern by saying the Colts aren't going to allow it to dominate their approach. Because, just like Curry's three point proficiency makes him special, Richardson's ability to run makes him special. 

And I think that's a great way to make his point. JMO.

One thing is for sure, worrying about his ability to stay on the field must concern us. 

I watch his nice run to the right, he is flying downfield, no doubt impressed with himself as a little DB is closing fast. He is going to straight arm him and run out of bounds I bet he was thinking.

The little DB hits him like a train and sends him flying for a hard fall. 

One of those learning moments.

Getting hurt in the pocket is most common for QB's. 

But we are going to pucker our cheeks anytime he heads through the line.

The bottom line is we Must cross the goal line early and often by whatever means are necessary to have the advantage of playing from the lead.

One of the talents AR desperately needs to become top 8 at is getting his tail to the ground. Now let's pray! :td: Lord help our AR/Colts!  Duke :spit:

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

One thing is for sure, worrying about his ability to stay on the field must concern us. 

I watch his nice run to the right, he is flying downfield, no doubt impressed with himself as a little DB is closing fast. He is going to straight arm him and run out of bounds I bet he was thinking.

The little DB hits him like a train and sends him flying for a hard fall. 

One of those learning moments.

Getting hurt in the pocket is most common for QB's. 

But we are going to pucker our cheeks anytime he heads through the line.

The bottom line is we Must cross the goal line early and often by whatever means are necessary to have the advantage of playing from the lead.

One of the talents AR desperately needs to become top 8 at is getting his tail to the ground. Now let's pray! :td: Lord help our AR/Colts!  Duke :spit:

Yeah, it goes without saying that he has to stay on the field. And they've talked about him needing to be smarter about protecting himself. I think he's learned his lesson about respecting the competition. the other lesson is that he'll need to pick his moments, not putting his body on the line when it's not a critical play.

But there's a difference between encouraging him to be less reckless, and trying to restrict him from being a rushing threat. 

As for the bolded, I know it's counterintuitive, but I think a QB getting pressured and hit in the pocket is just as dangerous -- maybe moreso -- than a QB scrambling. In the pocket, you have 4-5 gigantic defenders being blocked by 5 gigantic OL, and when they close in, the QB often finds himself under 600 pounds of trench players. He's also mostly defenseless, especially when it's time to throw. 

Whereas when a QB runs or scrambles, he can protect himself, and he's generally not surrounded by 10 other players who can fall on top of him. He can get down and slide, run out of bounds, etc. If he's smart, he can use his incredible athleticism to protect himself as a runner. 

• Like 3

Really impressed how Pitt has taken it upon himself to mentor AD. Not saying he didn't do that with Pierce or Downs, but it seems like AD is more forthcoming about it. Happy to see Pitt is finally embracing the leadership role as he knows that WR room starts with him and his example 

• Like 1

Some analogies are surface-level only.  You guys ever think about that Zootopia allegory?  You take that thing to any depth at all and it gets pretty insulting to certain minority groups…

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Really impressed how Pitt has taken it upon himself to mentor AD. Not saying he didn't do that with Pierce or Downs, but it seems like AD is more forthcoming about it. Happy to see Pitt is finally embracing the leadership role as he knows that WR room starts with him and his example 

Finally embracing?   The man has been a leader since he became a Colt.  

For consideration:   Your post would be better without the word “finally”.   It changes the meaning of what I think you were trying to say.    JMO. 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Finally embracing?   The man has been a leader since he became a Colt.  

For consideration:   Your post would be better without the word “finally”.   It changes the meaning of what I think you were trying to say.    JMO. 

Not saying Pitt wasn't a leader before. His personality just comes off as lead by example. I'm just commenting on how forthcoming AD has been about Pitt that I just don't recall Pierce or Downs being so upfront about.

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m not sure it seems to agree with you. You said all you were reading was “we get it but that was a bad analogy.” What I shared was the first thing i found when I searched to see what people were saying. They agreed with Steichen, and said “but he skirts around the injury risk.” Is that them saying it’s a bad analogy? I have really yet to find an article that used that quote say it was a bad one. Maybe it’s just interpretation. 

To argue AGAINST my own argument,  Rich Eisen LOVED the quote.  I just found it last night.  Eisen loves Steichen, but he really REALLY loves Ballard.  Has him on all the time throughout the year, not just in-season.  

Eisen’s staff of researchers that he interacts with sided more with me about people are trying to hurt AR, but no one is trying to hurt Steph.  But Eisen’s view carries more weight IMO.

Just noting that.   Appreciate the exchange. 

• Like 2

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

No one splits hairs like we do on this forum.

It’s kinda our thing. Not gonna lie sometimes it provides a much needed distraction and entertainment reading through all of it. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to give Pitt some love for his recent comments about Indy and family values. I also loved what he said about focusing on the long term financially and considering the situation youre in. He appreciates his place in the organization and that speaks volumes about him as a man. The Texans can have guys like Diggs, Im happy with Pitt. Just a top notch dude. 

This is a place a lot of people love to hate on, for some reason. But he is living proof that all this rhetoric about how "nobody wants to live in Indiana" is just bonafied baloney. So many former players stick around here after retirement. There is a reason for that. 

He is the exact kind of person you would think wouldnt like it here. Rich california kid whose father played in the NFL. Lives on a little farm in Indiana with his wife, who is also from California. And they both love it here. 

Those huge cities are very over rated and it isnt for everyone. We just have to find people like Pitt who do and allow them to become pillars of the franchise. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

I just wanted to give Pitt some love for his recent comments about Indy and family values. I also loved what he said about focusing on the long term financially and considering the situation youre in. He appreciates his place in the organization and that speaks volumes about him as a man. The Texans can have guys like Diggs, Im happy with Pitt. Just a top notch dude. 

This is a place a lot of people love to hate on, for some reason. But he is living proof that all this rhetoric about how "nobody wants to live in Indiana" is just bonafied baloney. So many former players stick around here after retirement. There is a reason for that. 

He is the exact kind of person you would think wouldnt like it here. Rich california kid whose father played in the NFL. Lives on a little farm in Indiana with his wife, who is also from California. And they both love it here. 

Those huge cities are very over rated and it isnt for everyone. We just have to find people like Pitt who do and allow them to become pillars of the franchise. 

Indianapolis isn't the greatest place to live but it's far from the worse. 

Huge advantages of living here:

1. Cost of living is cheap compared to a lot of other states. You can buy a house for 250,000 that has 3 bed rooms, 2 full bath rooms, 2 car garage, and mostly brick in a good neighborhood here. A lot of other states you would have to fork out 4 or 500,000 for that. Places like NY or Cali we are talking nearly a million.

2. Indianapolis is a good place to raise a family in the right neighborhood. It's pretty quiet here.

3. We really only have 3 months of winter = December, January, and February where we could get big snows or ice. Once mid March rolls around it gets a lot better.

4. We have every great steak house imaginable here and great Japenese and Chinese places. 

5. We have the Colts here, an NBA team = the Pacers, WNBA team = Fever. All are now good. Colts were great for 2 decades.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Something I am not sure if everyone knows but his wife’s  dad lives in Michigan. I think outside Kalamazoo.  He also has a farm. So imagine also being close to her dad is also big for them.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Indianapolis isn't the greatest place to live but it's far from the worse. 

Huge advantages of living here:

1. Cost of living is cheap compared to a lot of other states. You can buy a house for 250,000 that has 3 bed rooms, 2 full bath rooms, 2 car garage, and mostly brick in a good neighborhood here. A lot of other states you would have to fork out 4 or 500,000 for that. Places like NY or Cali we are talking nearly a million.

2. Indianapolis is a good place to raise a family in the right neighborhood. It's pretty quiet here.

3. We really only have 3 months of winter = December, January, and February where we could get big snows or ice. Once mid March rolls around it gets a lot better.

4. We have every great steak house imaginable here and great Japenese and Chinese places. 

5. We have the Colts here, an NBA team = the Pacers, WNBA team = Fever. All are now good. Colts were great for 2 decades.

My grandma used to say that only people could be boring, she lived in Mitchell Indiana and I used to spend my summers there. Thats how she would respond whenever I said I was bored. It wasnt much of a town, probably still isnt, but there was a whole lotta woods. I could entertain myself in the woods for weeks and never see a streetlight and I wouldnt shed a tear.

There are many others like me out there, and I think Pitt is also cut from that cloth. 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 10:16 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Yes!   Excellent point.   Smartly said.  

1000 percent agree.    🏆 

Same! it was a great point.! 

• Thanks 1