Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Food for thought, Nelson

On 6/6/2024 at 10:29 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

news world GIF- you rang. Nelson is the least of our problems. Even at 80% healthy he is better than most Guards. I am more worried about LT play and Kelly staying healthy. 

Problem is he's making $25M. He can't just be better than most guards. I don't blame Ballard. He had HOF potential guys and paid them. But giving two massive contracts to non premium players hasn't worked out. Again, hindsight is 20-20 and I'm all for paying elite talent. But the return has sucked

On 6/7/2024 at 10:55 AM, #12. said:

After 3 seasons, people had him in the Hall of Fame.  

As it stands three years later, he probably won't sniff it.

I mean, he isn't just done. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 11:34 AM, throwing BBZ said:

It's just an article. A lot of posters come here to make points. 

The topic one could conclude, suggests there are Homer's. 

Perhaps one Homer concludes from this that maybe, it's possible, Nelson isn't any longer an All-Pro and hasn't been for three years. 

I would say that if he did play like he did before he got paid, he would be more reliable in short yardage, and that could inch us closer to 11 wins.

I'll be watching him close, as I Always watch our line a lot in slow-mo.

Watching Lombardi's Packers OL as a kid just hooked me on line play.

Anyone interested in CB Play?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-cornerback-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2024-nfl-season

As much as I love Nelson, I could see them parting ways IF he doesn't perform well....kind of like that Guard from Jacksonville a few years back.  Also, I am not saying he isn't playing well.  I'm just saying if he doesn't.  I'm expecting pancakes this year!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wig said:

Problem is he's making $25M. He can't just be better than most guards. I don't blame Ballard. He had HOF potential guys and paid them. But giving two massive contracts to non premium players hasn't worked out. Again, hindsight is 20-20 and I'm all for paying elite talent. But the return has sucked

I think he is performing close enough to his contract value it’s still ok. As long as he is a top 5-10 guard and a team captain he will be worth every penny of it. Not enough value is being put on him helping the multiple LTs the past three years and the C position has also battled injuries. Q being next to both of those is a good thing. I’m predicting if Q is left to just play LG and not help a rookie or backup, he will have a resurgent season. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think he is performing close enough to his contract value it’s still ok. As long as he is a top 5-10 guard and a team captain he will be worth every penny of it. Not enough value is being put on him helping the multiple LTs the past three years and the C position has also battled injuries. Q being next to both of those is a good thing. I’m predicting if Q is left to just play LG and not help a rookie or backup, he will have a resurgent season. 

What some aren't factoring in is the Salary Cap and salaries have gone up the last 2 years as well. He signed that big contract 2 years ago. 

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I respect you as a poster.   I always have

What you may not know is the posting history of some of our members 

Jared has been known for overreacting at every turn.   And that's ok.  Everyone has the ability to express our feelings here.   If you hang around long enough you will see, some members aren't interested in anything but being contrary.  Jared isn't one of them btw.  Jared is a diehard colts fan.   He just let's his emotions get the better of him.   

For example. There are a couple members that thought drafting and paying Nelson and Leonard was a terrible move.   They have been waiting for each to fail because they would rather be right than the team to succeed.    Those are the fans I dislike.   I actually like Jared more than he thinks I do

IMO @Yoshinatoris one of the best posters in here (AKA Jared). Like many do, they let their emotions get involved regarding the Colts. I do it too. Many think a Homer GIF by The Simpsons- but I am just more optimistic than others and I really don't like a bashing a player unless they deserve it. If a player plays bad or the team, I will call them out though. I have done it a bunch. I try to be a realist as much I can though when it comes too how good the Colts will be or when I do my lists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Couldn’t agree more.  People whining about his salary never take into account the other tangible circumstances that can affect his play as you mentioned.   His own injury problems and coaching changes also come into play.  Multiple quarterbacks too.  If it’s one thing Ballard knows how to do is manage the cap effectively and pay his own players when they perform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wig said:

His Cap hit this year is only $25 m because Ballard had this year structured as the big jump year in base salary, because of the huge signing bonus.

For the 1st four years of this contract, including the prior 2 years, this year and next, counting salary and signing bonus, Nelson is getting about $18.7 m per year. It's certainly within reason. One has to consider the average cost for the G position.

If we have upgraded the RG spot, our line can be special. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

His Cap hit this year is only $25 m because Ballard had this year structured as the big jump year in base salary, because of the huge signing bonus.

For the 1st four years of this contract, including the prior 2 years, this year and next, counting salary and signing bonus, Nelson is getting about $18.7 m per year. It's certainly within reason. One has to consider the average cost for the G position.

I thought he was making less than 20 Mill a year, when the other poster said 25 Mill, I was sure that was wrong.

On 6/8/2024 at 2:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, maybe I am missing something, but I haven't seen a huge a drop off in his play. Huge being the key word. Is he as great as he was in 2020, no but he was the best Guard in the league then. He set the bar so high and made it look so easy to people, that now if he has 2 or 3 bad games in 17, some think he doesn't deserve the money he is getting. It is almost impossible for any player to make 1st team or 2nd team All-Pro every year.

I don't know if its a drop off or not, but short yardage goal line plays are often called to be run over The Pancaker and get stuffed frequently.  Can't say its his fault and you can't win them all, but the article indicates his run blocking is probably about #20 in the NFL if you just do the math between #4 PB and #11 overall.  If I read it correctly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if its a drop off or not, but short yardage goal line plays are often called to be run over The Pancaker and get stuffed frequently.  Can't say its his fault and you can't win them all, but the article indicates his run blocking is probably about #20 in the NFL if you just do the math between #4 PB and #11 overall.  If I read it correctly.

What is the percentage of runs behind Q that don't get 3rd and 4th and short.  Thanks in advance.  I'm sure you have the percentages 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

He hasn't been a pancaker since he got paid. My recollection is often iffy but wasn't it year 4 that he played with an ankle injury? And he came into the league with back issues. 

I pound the table that our opponents don't give an inch to Fries when it comes to Fries knocking them back in short yardage. So absolutely our opponents can line up their strength to cover from Kelly to a L TE.

What has been shocking since his early Pancaking All-Pro seasons is him getting drive blocked so instantly and powerfully that he looks like a Joe. And occasionally big guys are around him in a flash. My first thought is he is off on the snap timing. Nelson is still executing loads of good blocks and I would put his pulls up against anyone. Yes, OK, definitely many of those are pancakes. When I was thinking of pancakes I was picturing him going mano y mano with the guy across from him and riding them for 6 yards then landing on them.

It's history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

He hasn't been a pancaker since he got paid. My recollection is often iffy but wasn't it year 4 that he played with an ankle injury? And he came into the league with back issues. 

I pound the table that our opponents don't give an inch to Fries when it comes to Fries knocking them back in short yardage. So absolutely our opponents can line up their strength to cover from Kelly to a L TE.

What has been shocking since his early Pancaking All-Pro seasons is him getting drive blocked so instantly and powerfully that he looks like a Joe. And occasionally big guys are around him in a flash. My first thought is he is off on the snap timing. Nelson is still executing loads of good blocks and I would put his pulls up against anyone. Yes, OK, definitely many of those are pancakes. When I was thinking of pancakes I was picturing him going mano y mano with the guy across from him and riding them for 6 yards then landing on them.

It's history. 

Teams wised up and realized he can not be blocked one v one like in his early years.  On short yardage teams cheat to his spot or down right double team him on short yardage.  The Colts need to adjust better imo.  The defense cheats to counter Nelson.  Running to the right more would counter that.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It's still a $20m per year guard who has severely underperformed his contract. Thankfully that's largely due to injuries that don't seem like they'll be an issue moving forward. Again, don't think it was a bad deal. But it hasn't paid off thus far. It happens. Just happened to us twice. Hopefully it's behind Q and he gets back to AP level

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought he was making less than 20 Mill a year, when the other poster said 25 Mill, I was sure that was wrong.

He makes 20m per year, not less

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 2:40 AM, stitches said:

I'm going to pass on this whole argument, but I want to bring attention to something - I think @Yoshinator apologized pretty much immediately when it was pointed out to him what the hold up with AD's contract might have been. I don't think keeping things like this over the head of posters is a good idea. What's the incentive of admitting an error and apologizing(which seemed to be an honest mistake and a genuine apology to me at the time), if we will keep holding it against them and hammering them with it in seemingly unrelated arguments?  

Voice Reason GIF by MasterChefAU

:applause::hat:

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, jvan1973 said:

What is the percentage of runs behind Q that don't get 3rd and 4th and short.  Thanks in advance.  I'm sure you have the percentages 

I was quoting a post that gave no percentages about Nelson not having a HUGE dropoff...it was his observation.  As was my post.

Why didn't you demand percentages and stats from that positive Colts post, but just pick on my nonpositive post?  Speaking of agenda's again. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 4:37 PM, throwing BBZ said:

It's history. 

By dong rough math, Q is ranked about 17th in run blocking.  IOW, over half of the NFL teams have at least one G that is a better run blocker than Q (just averaging from the stats).  I would think most homers would be surprised by that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was quoting a post that gave no percentages about Nelson not having a HUGE dropoff...it was his observation.  As was my post.

Why didn't you demand percentages and stats from that positive Colts post, but just pick on my nonpositive post?  Speaking of agenda's again. 

I didn't demand anything.   You claimed "short yardage plays behind the pancaker fail frequently "   I assumed you had done some research.    How would you get "demand "  out of the post you responded to?

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I didn't demand anything.   You claimed "short yardage plays behind the pancaker fail frequently "   I assumed you had done some research.    How would you get "demand "  out of the post you responded to?

Because he doesn’t have the facts you want so he’s trying to spin the burden of proof back on to you.  

Anyone is welcome to whatever opinion they want but should be prepared to defend an opinion if they make it.  If not you aren’t required too but people aren’t going to put a lot of stock in those opinions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

By dong rough math, Q is ranked about 17th in run blocking.  IOW, over half of the NFL teams have at least one G that is a better run blocker than Q (just averaging from the stats).  I would think most homers would be surprised by that.

He’s 25th among guards with at least 100 run blocking snaps (34th if you disregard snap-count). 

His run blocking grade has actually dropped every season since 2019. Elite in 2019, great in 2020, good (barely) in 2021 and pretty average in 2022 and 2023. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 4:44 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

I get both sides of the argument on Nelson. Has his production dipped a little?  Yes. Is he still really good? Yes. I do wonder if those thinking he isn’t living up to his contract were against paying a guard big money from the start. 

I personally think everything is fine. Nelson is a core piece and I’m glad he is on this team. Especially since the LT and C spots have had injury and/or performance issues the last couple years. He has anchored the left side of the line while also being a leader of this team. Nelson is special and I feel lucky to watch him play on my favorite team. Players like him don’t come around often so I’m going to enjoy the show and appreciate the talent. 

It’s the offseason so we usually have topics that deep dive in the roster and cap construction. This is one of them and most points given are just splitting hairs. I believe most of us know the LG position is good to go and not a concern for this seasons future success. AR, pass rush and the secondary will dictate how well this team does but we have discussed those topics for months so they are running out of things to say. 

I appreciate the deep dive for an honest conversation. On topic, if I made a list of 10 Colts players I'm worried about, Nelson would not make the list right now. Maybe if I went 20 deep, and that's because he's had some injuries in the past, but I think those injuries explain any drop off in his play. Last year, he was very good, pretty much every week. Some of his run blocking wasn't as good as we're used to, and I think a lot of that has to do with the scheme being demanding. I expect him to pick back up in 2024. His pass blocking was very good. Again, I'm not worried about Nelson.

Regarding his contract, it's a non-issue. He's the third highest paid guard in the NFL. Two years ago, he was #1. Since then, Landon Dickerson and Chris Lindstrom have overtaken him. He was the fourth highest paid OL, now he's #10. Other players will get new contracts also. This is how contracts work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I appreciate the deep dive for an honest conversation. On topic, if I made a list of 10 Colts players I'm worried about, Nelson would not make the list right now. Maybe if I went 20 deep, and that's because he's had some injuries in the past, but I think those injuries explain any drop off in his play. Last year, he was very good, pretty much every week. Some of his run blocking wasn't as good as we're used to, and I think a lot of that has to do with the scheme being demanding. I expect him to pick back up in 2024. His pass blocking was very good. Again, I'm not worried about Nelson.

Regarding his contract, it's a non-issue. He's the third highest paid guard in the NFL. Two years ago, he was #1. Since then, Landon Dickerson and Chris Lindstrom have overtaken him. He was the fourth highest paid OL, now he's #10. Other players will get new contracts also. This is how contracts work.

I agree, Nelson is the least of our problems. I worry about Braden Smith and Kelly more regarding injuries because Smith has been banged up a lot lately and Kelly has had concussions, etc..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

He’s 25th among guards with at least 100 run blocking snaps (34th if you disregard snap-count). 

His run blocking grade has actually dropped every season since 2019. Elite in 2019, great in 2020, good (barely) in 2021 and pretty average in 2022 and 2023. 

Probably Strausser's fault.  Or the play calling....

On 6/9/2024 at 2:07 PM, ADnum1 said:

I think the Nelson situation will work itself out. 

I took a look at his contract on spotrac.

He'll be here through 2024, but there is an out before 2025 of a 12M cap hit if released before 2025.

There is a 6m cap hit if released before 2026, so this is the more likely out.

As previous posters have said, let's observe him in 2024 and see if he continues his solid level of play.

It's in Nelson's hands now how much longer he's a Colt. 

Keep in mind that in 2025 he'll have been playing guard for 8 years which is a long time so it may be time to draft his replacement next April. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/25101/quenton-nelson#:~:text=2022-2026 Extension,average annual salary of %2420%2C000%2C000.

His contract structure is such that he will cost 3/$72M the next 3 years. On an annual basis, he will likely be the most expensive G the next 3 years, by a good amount.

He's not the best G in the NFL right now, let alone by a good amount. Not that it's a huge overpay or anything, but I would be surprised if they didn't at least restructure it at some point.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

His contract structure is such that he will cost 3/$72M the next 3 years. On an annual basis, he will likely be the most expensive G the next 3 years, by a good amount.

He's not the best G in the NFL right now, let alone by a good amount. Not that it's a huge overpay or anything, but I would be surprised if they didn't at least restructure it at some point.

For me I don't get into whether or not a player might be slightly overpaid especially if they are on at least the good or very good level (not even great level). I look at it like this, who could we get that is better at his position making less? People used to complain about Costanzo not being great and griped about his salary, he was good, and we haven't had a Left Tackle as good as him since he retired. When people post so in so is making too much money I wish they would list someone we could get that is better at said position for cheaper. If not, why complain?

I have 0 problem with Taylor getting paid what he is with the way his contract is constructed, same for Pittman. Taylor is great, Pitt is good.

49 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The first two years of his extension, his cap hits averaged $11m. Now the cap has to catch up to the money he's already been paid. That's how it goes. By the way, he doesn't have the highest cap hit or cash outlay among guards right now, and unless something happens with the guys ahead of him, he probably won't be for the next couple of years. And new guard contracts will continue to overtake Nelson's.

I wouldn't expect his contract to be restructured unless they really need the cap space, and that's probably not going to be the case any time soon. Nelson got a $31m signing bonus -- the biggest signing bonus Ballard has ever done -- which makes his contract one of the most heavily backloaded in the Ballard era. That's the reason for the huge increase in cap hit in 2024, more than double from 2023. Restructuring would make his contract even more backloaded, which seems way out of character for the Colts, especially when they're projected to be well under the cap for the next couple of years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For me I don't get into whether or not a player might be slightly overpaid especially if they are on at least the good or very good level (not even great level). I look at it like this, who could we get that is better at his position making less? People used to complain about Costanzo not being great and griped about his salary, he was good, and we haven't had a Left Tackle as good as him since he retired. When people post so in so is making too much money I wish they would list someone we could get that is better at said position for cheaper. If not, why complain?

I have 0 problem with Taylor getting paid what he is with the way his contract is constructed, same for Pittman. Taylor is great, Pitt is good.

It’s currently 1:45 in the afternoon on June 12th and all is well.

• Like 1

I value pass blocking a lot more than run blocking, so, while not a nothing-burger, I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. 

Now, who the H are we playing at FS and what about depth? Those are bigger issues in my opinion…

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 7:57 PM, Solid84 said:

I mean...I feel like I have seen more highlights of Q on his back than him pancaking somebody in the past 3 years. 

Q was ultra-elite for his first 3 years. It was like him and Zack Martin. And PFF loved him. Even a year ago, they gave Q a pass and were still listing him as a top 5 G after a bad 2022 season. 

But his PFF grades seem to align with the back injury timeline. His AP nods do as well. I wouldn't have left him off a top 10 G list, but I don't think it's all that controversial. 

I don't think he's going anywhere though, unless he hangs it up in the next few years. He's going to be in the HOF one day and is 1 out of 2 sure shots at the ROH from this era (DeFo being the other I think).

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 4:07 PM, DougDew said:

And he was supposed to be a devasting run blocker coming out of college. He was his 1st 3 years and being the 17th graded is not acceptable. For the money they are paying him, he needs to be at least top 10 in both RB and PB.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I mean...I feel like I have seen more highlights of Q on his back than him pancaking somebody in the past 3 years. 

Q was ultra-elite for his first 3 years. It was like him and Zack Martin. And PFF loved him. Even a year ago, they gave Q a pass and were still listing him as a top 5 G after a bad 2022 season. 

But his PFF grades seem to align with the back injury timeline. His AP nods do as well. I wouldn't have left him off a top 10 G list, but I don't think it's all that controversial. 

I don't think he's going anywhere though, unless he hangs it up in the next few years. He's going to be in the HOF one day and is 1 out of 2 sure shots at the ROH from this era (DeFo being the other I think).

I don't think he will make it in the HOF based on his current trajectory. I think voters are more apt to let a guy in who started out as average and then became elite rather than a guy who started out as elite and then became average. We always remember the best years of a player and if your 1st 3 were your best years that isn't going to get it done. He is not the same player and not even close to what he started out as . For the 1st 3 years of his career, he was the best guard in football. Damn, they were even putting him up there as maybe one of the best ever. Now, he may not even be a top 10 guard. It has been a huge drop off and I cannot recall a guard ever getting so media attention his 1st 3 years in the league. Now its crickets. I bet it is the qb carousel, injuries,  and not having  a competent LT. I remember people arguing, and I held the opposite view, that we could get by with an average LT because of Q's dominance. The exact opposite seems to have happened and I think it really high lights the importance of the LT and the effect it has on an Oline if that position is not secure.  

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I have watched every Colts game for the last 3 years and I rarely see Nelson "on his back". Maybe in 3 years it has happened 5 or 6 times. Now he has been beat sometimes or pushed backwards but "on his back" is a stretch.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't think he will make it in the HOF based on his current trajectory. I think voters are more apt to let a guy in who started out as average and then became elite rather than a guy who started out as elite and then became average. We always remember the best years of a player and if your 1st 3 were your best years that isn't going to get it done. He is not the same player and not even close to what he started out as . For the 1st 3 years of his career, he was the best guard in football. Damn, they were even putting him up there as maybe one of the best ever. Now, he may not even be a top 10 guard. It has been a huge drop off and I cannot recall a guard ever getting so media attention his 1st 3 years in the league. Now its crickets. I bet it is the qb carousel, injuries,  and not having  a competent LT. I remember people arguing, and I held the opposite view, that we could get by with an average LT because of Q's dominance. The exact opposite seems to have happened and I think it really high lights the importance of the LT and the effect it has on an Oline if that position is not secure.  

If he can have another 1st team All-Pro I think he will make the Hall. That is a big 'IF' though. That would give him 4 1st team All-Pro's and 1 2nd team All-Pro. Not saying he will be 1st ballot, but I think that gets him in 2nd or 3rd ballot. Problem too is, it depends on the success of the team? If the Colts continue to miss the playoffs, many will overlook his play and think other Guards are just better. Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame because of 1 game = SB 3. He won on the biggest stage as a huge underdog and people remember that. Lynn Swann didn't have Hall of Fame numbers, but all people remember is his 2 amazing catches in SBs played. My point is, Colts need to start winning so Nelson is back in the limelight. In 2018 and 2020 we had good seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Why “Colts fans” feel the need to tear down Nelson to extreme levels is beyond me.  It just screams of wanting to be right more than care if the information is correct or not.

Sure, it does. Nelson is still very good and great at times. He isn't a problem regarding our Line. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have watched every Colts game for the last 3 years and I rarely see Nelson "on his back". Maybe in 3 years it has happened 5 or 6 times. Now he has been beat sometimes or pushed backwards but "on his back" is a stretch.

I don’t recall him ever being “ on his back”.   Pushed back sure.  “On his back” is a major exaggeration imo.  Colts start winning again with our OL helping lead the way and he’s in.  No doubt imm. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t recall him ever being “ on his back”.   Pushed back sure.  “On his back” is a major exaggeration imo.  Colts start winning again with our OL helping lead the way and he’s in.  No doubt imm. 

Yeah, I mean even 5 times in 3 years is nothing. Like I posted earlier, I am more worried about Braden because here lately he has been getting dinged up. Also, Kelly with his concussions and Mental Health. Nelson at LG is fine.

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Why “Colts fans” feel the need to tear down Nelson to extreme levels is beyond me.  It just screams of wanting to be right more than care if the information is correct or not.

“Tear down” is a stretch. 

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, I mean even 5 times in 3 years is nothing. Like I posted earlier, I am more worried about Braden because here lately he has been getting dinged up. Also, Kelly with his concussions and Mental Health. Nelson at LG is fine.

If I’m not mistaken Braden had off season surgery for his injury so I am expecting his issues to be resolved.  I worry about Kelly’s concussion injuries.  Hopefully they stop.  When he’s on the field he is a difference maker for the OL.  A great player no doubt.

• Like 1