Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison Butker's shocking speech, Chiefs probably not going to 3 peat

chad72

On 5/20/2024 at 5:27 AM, DougDew said:

LOL, its been happening for 50 years.  Not rich, but the equivalent visibility offered by small groups of vocal protesters having their visibility elevated by sympathizers with cameras and microphones for all to see their screaming lectures.     

These weird conflicts are caused by extremists being triggered by centrist choice-based comments like Butker's.  They seem to wrongly think that Butker is the extremist and then expose their intolerance for people who support a different path.

Sorry Doug.  I think you lost this argument in a landslide.   

Perhaps you’re unaware that the nuns who run the school put out a statement saying they are not happy with what Butker said.  That they expected a speech celebrating these women graduating and going into the world to make it better anyway they want.   So the nuns think you’re wrong. 

As for your standard media bashing…. I’ll put it simply.   A dog biting a man is NOT news.   A man biting a dog IS news.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Your statement is partially true.

All I’m opining is pertaining to this thread and posts on this thread only. Thanks to everyone for keeping it civil so far.

Everyone who disagrees with Butker still acknowledges he has the right to speak and express his views. 

Plus, none in this thread have even remotely mentioned violence whatsoever. 

You and I agree. I rephrased my earlier comment to clarify what I was trying to to say. I meant that those supporting Butker are defending his right to freely speak but are not defending the same rights of those that disagree with Butker.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

. (Referring to you saying those disagreeing with him do not)

That is not what I meant to convey. I rephrased it to clarify what I meant to say

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You and I agree that all sides have a right to express themselves. However, many here who support Bukter say that he has the right to speak but and they think that others who disagree with Butker do not. Just read the comments here.

I don't think anyone here has threatened violence. Just check out the posts here.

There were some stuff on other sites, not this one. Especially the morning after. I was speaking from a high level general overview,  not limited to this one site.  Sorry for the confusion

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry Doug.  I think you lost this argument in a landslide.   

Perhaps you’re unaware that the nuns who run the school put out a statement saying they are not happy with what Butker said.  That they expected a speech celebrating these women graduating and going into the world to make it better anyway they want.   So the nuns think you’re wrong. 

As for your standard media bashing…. I’ll put it simply.   A dog biting a man is NOT news.   A man biting a dog IS news.  

I've actually bitten my dog a few times. Each time was to correct him from biting my (at the time) 3 year old son. Took the dog and bit him on the ear, not enough to damage but enough to show what the pain felt like. He's pretty smart, as he's yet to do it again with my kids. 

Why am I saying this? Because I woke up with nausea, took some meclizine for my dizziness and now I'm just randomly thinking thoughts... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I've actually bitten my dog a few times. Each time was to correct him from biting my (at the time) 3 year old son. Took the dog and bit him on the ear, not enough to damage but enough to show what the pain felt like. He's pretty smart, as he's yet to do it again with my kids. 

Why am I saying this? Because I woke up with nausea, took some meclizine for my dizziness and now I'm just randomly thinking thoughts... 

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure you're beginning to experience the symptoms of slow poisoning  lmao  

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:49 AM, NFLfan said:

I don't think he should be cut for this.  But I have the right to disagree and to state that I disagree with him. I also would not want him to be my daughter's teacher, husband or father.

Of course you have the right to disagree with him.

7 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am buying his jersey.   Good for him!    This is what free speech is all about!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to comment more about this subject but don't want to make it political because we are not allowed to talk politics In here. I will say this, I haven't really seen anyone, even outside of here have a problem with people saying out loud they disagree with Butker, that is what free speech is, but when people disagree with certain groups protesting something, those groups are the one's that complain the most. Those groups think free speech doesn't apply if you disagree with their beliefs. People should be allowed to disagree with anyone without it being some big deal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am buying his jersey.   Good for him!    This is what free speech is all about!!!!!!!!!!!

I do find it rather interesting that his jerseys are the highest selling jerseys since his speech. For whatever that is worth 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

He has a right to his opinion and so does everyone else.  His comment about "diabolical lies" is his opinion.   I could comment about lies people are told due to religion.   That is my opinion. 

Should he but cut?  Of course not.  He didn't do anything wrong.   But when you express thoughts and ideas that people disagree with in a very public manner expect some criticism. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, gspdx said:

He has a right to his opinion and so does everyone else.  His comment about "diabolical lies" is his opinion.   I could comment about lies people are told due to religion.   That is my opinion. 

Should he but cut?  Of course not.  He didn't do anything wrong.   But when you express thoughts and ideas that people disagree with in a very public manner expect some criticism. 

If everyone could be a Centrist and see both sides of everything, the whole world would get along better. Pretty simple to me. I didn't agree with him overall regarding what he said about women but people wanting him cut from the Chiefs over his comments need to chill and quit acting silly, because I don't agree with that either. 

• Like 3

On 5/21/2024 at 12:24 PM, csmopar said:

Just gonna say this once.

he had the right to say and think what he wants.

those that didn’t like it, or offended, are also well within their own rights to disagree with him and voice those disagreements 

those that agree with him, are equally allowed to defend him and his statements.

where I draw the line is the threats of violence being posted everywhere from ALL sides. Or those advocating that the league ban him, cut him, fine him etc.  While I do not agree with his comments or ideology, nothing he said warrants that kind of reaction. 

I think most feel that way.  I’ve seen people here say they didn’t like what he said or maybe he shouldn’t have said it but I haven’t seen people here say he can’t or threaten violence against him.  In fact most people who disagree with him even admit cutting him for what he said would go too far.  I am not worried about what other places are saying because they aren’t here.  If people want to have discussions about what’s being said in those places knock yourself out but saying it to people who aren’t doing it seems kinda pointless to me.  Just my two cents.  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I do find it rather interesting that his jerseys are the highest selling jerseys since his speech. For whatever that is worth 

He made some fans with what he said.  Good for him.  He also lost some but I doubt he cares about that and frankly nor should he.  For the record this is coming from someone who disagrees with him.  Just because I do doesn’t mean everyone does and doesn’t mean he should be punished for what he said.  Just me personally I won’t like him but that’s just me and doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things.  

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 10:03 AM, DougDew said:

Of course, I'm never compelled to instantly share my opinion on such matters of whether he is right or wrong...since nobody cares what anybody's opinion is.  I look at it from the perspective of an objective observer of how controversies get started and how the NFL gets involved.

I believe Butker is guilty of giving a speech to a Christian based college that speaks to traditional values..  Go figure...maybe he tailored the speech to his audience and not the general public?  But the fact that he said it with a microphone meant it got picked up by the general public, and so now it must be shouted down by those who probably chose to not attend a Christian college to begin with.  Weird that they feel compelled to get involved.

If I read his words correctly, what Butker actually said (to women in a Christian college) is that most of you will choose to get married and have kids,  And that when you do, that should be the most important thing in your life.  He then praised his wife for how she chose to do it.  Not much different than Lou Holtz telling men that when you become a father, the most important thing is to show your children's mother how much you love her.  

Wow, what controversy, what extremism.  That it might be okay to be devoted ONLY to your family and God, and to choose to not be devoted to an Employer and the correct Social Narratives.

I think if the NFL says anything, it should support its player against attacks by those who simply disagree with an opinion, instead of taking sides in the opinion.   After all, Butker was not wearing an NFL uniform, or representing the NFL in any capacity...and it pretty obvious he wasn't.   I guess the NFL is still scared of potential shakedowns and must quickly issue a statement telling the public how much they are on the correct side of things in case there is the slightest hint that silence implies they aren't. 

But its interesting to see that Butker's Jersey sales have increased dramatically.  Maybe the NFL should donate the money to women's causes since it can't possibly want to be tainted with money from such horrible and unpopular ideas.

DougDew, I have disagreed with you on many things.  However, I will give credit when it is due, this is the most cogent post I remember you making, excellent.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:31 AM, csmopar said:

I'm not surprised at all. Tim Tebow sold a lot of jerseys because of his faith. He was not a great NFL player but he sold jerseys and tickets. Tebow was very devout in his faith, but he did not publicly tell others how to live their lives.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, DougDew said:

If I read his words correctly, what Butker actually said (to women in a Christian college) is that most of you will choose to get married and have kids,  And that when you do, that should be the most important thing in your life.  He then praised his wife for how she chose to do it.  Not much different than Lou Holtz telling men that when you become a father, the most important thing is to show your children's mother how much you love her.  

I think you understood his words in a "positive" way, but that's not what he said.

He DID NOT say that "most of you would choose to get married..."

That's your implication. Of course, only women can bring children in this world and most of the women will choose to be married and have children, but that's not exactly what he said.

He said, "doing so - while some others will go on to lead successful career in the world - will take you closer to God's Will" 

Here's what he said from the transcript: 

How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I say all of this to you because I have seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God's will in their life. Isabelle's dream of having a career might not have come true, but if you asked her today if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud, without hesitation, and say, “Heck, No.”

He could've said, "even if you go on to have a very successful career, and get the greatest accolades of the world, I think the most important title of a woman is Homemaker. And, that would take you closer to God's Will" 

But, he didn't say so because he wanted to say exactly what he believes women should do and brought God into that by saying that's His Will. 

I think he made a mistake of implying that women are generally excited about marriage and having kids and being a homemaker, when that's only part of a woman's life - even though that could be the most cherished and blessed part of the life.

He only looked at how that made his wife's life - his words, not his wife's words by the way - and projected that to all the women. 

Andy Reid was asked what does he say if women in the building come to him with players speaking ill of women in general:

“Yeah that hasn’t happened I don’t think he (Butker) was speaking ill to women. He has his opinions and we respect that. I let you guys (Reporters) in this room and you have a lot of opinions I don’t like.”

Funny.  And a great way to dismiss what really amounts to a whole lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

(Thanks, Mister Shakespeare, for the reference.)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Andy Reid was asked what does he say if women in the building come to him with players speaking ill of women in general:

“Yeah that hasn’t happened I don’t think he (Butker) was speaking ill to women. He has his opinions and we respect that. I let you guys (Reporters) in this room and you have a lot of opinions I don’t like.”

Funny.  And a great way to dismiss what really amounts to a whole lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

(Thanks, Mister Shakespeare, for the reference.)

Yeah, that's a stupid question... Whatever Butker said stays with him. Andy Reid or Chiefs won't have to answer about any of that, just move on to football... 

• Like 2

I'm glad this thread has been pretty civil. When I disagree with those with whom I normally get along, I am always reminded of one of my favorite songs, "We Just Disagree." That is all it is -- we disagree. And that is okay. :)

• Like 3

I’m glad the Butker controversy is blowing over.   I don’t want anything bad to happen to him.  And since both the KC owners and the NFL have said he’s safe then that ends that.   Good.  

But let’s not kid ourselves…. While everyone including the KC players and coaches are saying the right things NOW that wasn’t the initial reaction when this first happened.   

In his first public reaction to the controversy this is what Mahomes said….  Paraphrasing pretty closely…. “I say hello to Harrison on the first day of the new season, and I say goodbye on the last day.  And I don’t say another word during the entire season.”

That’s not normal.   It’s not normal to happen and it’s not normal to reveal that to the public.   

Now everyone is singing a new tune now.  That’s clearly coming from ownership, which is fine.  I’m just saying let’s not pretend what became public at the start didn’t happen.  Because it did, and it was on the record.  

15 hours ago, Nadine said:

The only diabolical lie being told to women and girls is that they cannot do absolutely anything they want to do

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7Ag5qJOsch/?igsh=MnpvY2ZxdXA3MGdv

Yeah. 

I’ll say this though, while the words were more than cringe worthy, there’s far worse things happening to women, not just in this country but others where women have zero educational or professional opportunities. Which is disgusting if you ask me. 

doesn’t dismiss or diminish what he said, just saying I hope we never have our daughters have to subjected to the type of things being done to the women of various populations. 

rant over

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I’m glad the Butker controversy is blowing over.   I don’t want anything bad to happen to him.  And since both the KC owners and the NFL have said he’s safe then that ends that.   Good.  

But let’s not kid ourselves…. While everyone including the KC players and coaches are saying the right things NOW that wasn’t the initial reaction when this first happened.   

In his first public reaction to the controversy this is what Mahomes said….  Paraphrasing pretty closely…. “I say hello to Harrison on the first day of the new season, and I say goodbye on the last day.  And I don’t say another word during the entire season.”

That’s not normal.   It’s not normal to happen and it’s not normal to reveal that to the public.   

Now everyone is singing a new tune now.  That’s clearly coming from ownership, which is fine.  I’m just saying let’s not pretend what became public at the start didn’t happen.  Because it did, and it was on the record.  

Why wouldn't he be safe?  There was no chance he was getting cut by the Chiefs or fined by the league. 

Also I can't find that mahomes quote.  

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Why wouldn't he be safe?  There was no chance he was getting cut by the Chiefs or fined by the league. 

The Mahomes quote was about 10 days ago.   I have found a version of it:   New York Post, May 16.   Their Page 6 Column. It refers to a story Mahomes told about Butker to Pat MacAfee around the Super Bowl.   The story I found it either on ESPN or NFL.com.   

As for everything else, I was only re-stating a position I have had since the incident happened.   I don’t know who is joining the discussion mid-stream and might not know my position.   

A number of my posts in the thread have said I don’t want Butker touched and then I added that both the NFL and the Chiefs owners have said he’s safe and that end that.   I was just repeating my comment.  

I hope I’ve answered your questions. 

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I saw the Mahomes quote in many places. It was something he said in the past, not after Butker's speech. Whenever I get down time, I will find it and post it.

7 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I saw the Mahomes quote in many places. It was something he said in the past, not after Butker's speech. Whenever I get down time, I will find it and post it.

Just to clarify….

Mahomes actually did say it right after Butkers speech.   I was completely unaware of it until after Butkers speech.  It was completely off my radar.   

Then Butler made the speech.  A day later Mahomes made the comment.  I saw it on ESPN and/or NFL.com.   This is when I first learned of it. 

And to be clear, I have no problem with the Chiefs completely changing the narrative to what a good teammate Butker is.  I’m fine with it.  It clearly came from ownership when they publicly declared Butker was safe and nothing would happen.  At that point every Chiefs comment from Reid to Mahomes to Kelcie has been in step with ownership, as it should be.  He’s an important player to them and they now have his back.  

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just to clarify….

Mahomes actually did say it right after Butkers speech.   I was completely unaware of it until after Butkers speech.  It was completely off my radar.   

Then Butler made the speech.  A day later Mahomes made the comment.  I saw it on ESPN and/or NFL.com.   This is when I first learned of it. 

And to be clear, I have no problem with the Chiefs completely changing the narrative to what a good teammate Butker is.  I’m fine with it.  It clearly came from ownership when they publicly declared Butker was safe and nothing would happen.  At that point every Chiefs comment from Reid to Mahomes to Kelcie has been in step with ownership, as it should be.  He’s an important player to them and they now have his back.  

Thanks. I did not realize it. I think he also said it before too on a show. Was it the Pat McAfee show. I cannot recall. I will check when I return home.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I did not realize it. I think he also said it before too on a show. Was it the Pat McAfee show. I cannot recall. I will check when I return home.

Yes….  I think the McAfee show somewhere around the Super Bowl.   And I was totally unaware of that until last night when I was trying to find the quote for JVan….  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just to clarify….

The Chiefs didn't change the narrative.   The players and coaches gave their opinion.   Some didn't agree but thought he had the right to his opinion.   His teammates,  coaches and teammates have had his back .  He is allowed to have an unpopular opinion  .  The Chiefs owners  didn't force anything 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Chiefs didn't change the narrative.   The players and coaches gave their opinion.   Some didn't agree but thought he had the right to his opinion.   His teammates,  coaches and teammates have had his back .  He is allowed to have an unpopular opinion  .  The Chiefs owners  didn't force anything 

We don't know that for sure. All the players' comments seemed measured, almost carefully crafted. They seemed careful not to say anything to perpetuate the distraction Butker created. 

So far only Butker seems to be allowed to say whatever he wants. 

I don’t know why you’re so determined to prove me wrong.  But when Butker gave his speech the first few comments were not supportive starting with Mahomes.  

At some point the chiefs ownership came out and said nothing was going to happen to Butker and he was safe.  This was right around the time the NFL said they disagree with Butker, they support DEI, that it’s good for the NFL, but they too thought nothing should happen to Butker.   

If comments suddenly go from negative about Butker to what a great teammate Butker is then almost by definition the narrative got changed.   Which I said was a good thing, not a bad thing and you still have a problem with it.   I don’t think there’s a problem, yet you do.   All because you don’t think a narrative changed.   That’s your opinion.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why you’re so determined to prove me wrong.  But when Butker gave his speech the first few comments were not supportive starting with Mahomes.  

At some point the chiefs ownership came out and said nothing was going to happen to Butker and he was safe.  This was right around the time the NFL said they disagree with Butker, they support DEI, that it’s good for the NFL, but they too thought nothing should happen to Butker.   

If comments suddenly go from negative about Butker to what a great teammate Butker is then almost by definition the narrative got changed.   Which I said was a good thing, not a bad thing and you still have a problem with it.   I don’t think there’s a problem, yet you do.   All because you don’t think a narrative changed.   That’s your opinion.  

Very good points.

Publicly the players will not say how they really feel. Some agree with Butker, some disagree and some may not care one way or the other. But, they will keep their personal thoughts on the matter within the locker room, as saying anything is not worth the risk.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Remember when Drew Brees told players it was wrong for kneeling for the flag, that he would never do it because his father served in the Military. His teammates and coaches went bonkers over that. I agree with Drew and see nothing wrong with what he said. I think that was when Drew said - time to move on, I am outta here (he did retire a year later), lets see how good you guys will be without me chuckling homer simpson GIF.

I only brought that up because it seemed like Freedom Speech didn't apply to Drew who put the Saints on the map, and he got them a championship. Like I said, being a Centrist is the way to go in life. If you aren't and lean 1 way too hard, in the end one will end up losing friends that they wish they had. 

It did not apply to the other side either. All sides are told not to say what will upset others.

On 5/25/2024 at 2:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

The Mahomes quote was about 10 days ago.   I have found a version of it:   New York Post, May 16.   Their Page 6 Column. It refers to a story Mahomes told about Butker to Pat MacAfee around the Super Bowl.   The story I found it either on ESPN or NFL.com.   

As for everything else, I was only re-stating a position I have had since the incident happened.   I don’t know who is joining the discussion mid-stream and might not know my position.   

A number of my posts in the thread have said I don’t want Butker touched and then I added that both the NFL and the Chiefs owners have said he’s safe and that end that.   I was just repeating my comment.  

I hope I’ve answered your questions. 

The Mahomes quote was from February on the Pat Mcafee show.  Long before the Commencement speech.   They aren't related

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I STILL don't know why this is SHOCKING to anyone....... Just another choice that women should have available to them

No one said it is shocking. It is about graduation. As I wrote in another post, if someone who happens to be vegan is asked to speak at a graduation, would it be proper to focus the graduation speech on keeping a plant-based diet? What does that have to do with graduation?

These women paid to go to college. One can be a homemaker without going to college. No??? Many of these women have student loans. I guess their husbands should be saddled with the debt?

If a woman is lucky enough to find a man who earns enough to let her be a homemaker, then that is their choice. One of my sisters did just that after working in corporate America before getting married. Her husband earned enough money to let her stay and care for the children. They are all grown now. Another sister had to work because her husband did not. Thankfully she had her education and was very successful at work. My third sister worked, then stayed home to care for the kids for a few years and returned to work. They each made different choices, based on their situation. They are all doing well and looking forward to retirement and their kids are well-adjusted and doing well.

The point is: Everyone should be encouraged to make their own choices. And no, Butker did not talk about options. He said they were told a "diabolical lie" about pursuing a career. Guess what? His mother is a physicist, his sister is a Physician's Assistant and his aunt is the Senior Vice President of a company. I wonder if he has told them that they are living diabolical lies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mahomes quote was from February on the Pat Mcafee show.  Long before the Commencement speech.   They aren't related

I’m well aware of when the Mahomes quote I gave you was from.   And of course they’re related.  

Mahomes said the quote back in February and he said it AGAIN when the incident happened.  That’s the point.   Mahomes revealed his feelings about Butker in February and he revealed them again when the incident happened.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m well aware of when the Mahomes quote I gave you was from.   And of course they’re related.  

Mahomes said the quote back in February and he said it AGAIN when the incident happened.  That’s the point.   Mahomes revealed his feelings about Butker in February and he revealed them again when the incident happened.  

He didn't say it again.   It was quoted in a news article after the butker speech.  Mahomes first spoke about the speech just a couple of days ago.   That's the point im trying to make.   Nothing negative has been said by anyone from chiefs since the speech

First public comments from Mahomes 

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/patrick-mahomes-responds-chiefs-teammate-harrison-butkers-controversial/story?id=110501702

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Go to the 8:24 mark.  Context is huge. 

• Like 1