Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL Draft Day 3 (Rounds 4 through 7) Discussion Thread ****NO SPOILERS****

Abraham's move from safety to cornerback is one that makes him feel right at home - literallly. That's because Abraham grew up learning everything about cornerback from his father Donnie Abraham, who played nine years (1996-2004) at the position in the NFL with Tampa Bay and the New York Jets

• Like 1

Just now, OhioColt said:

The more I read up on Abrahams the more I like it.  Moved from FS and played lights out at CB.  Kudos to the Colts scouting and draft pick. 

Multiple family members that played in NFL.

Dad - Donnie Abraham Safety 

Cousin - Tim Jennings CB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watch Ballard trade up one spot in the 7th by trading next year's 7th so we can get a steal of the draft with the best 'flanker' available...

Sorry. Ignore me. I blame draft exhaustion...

:peek:

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Jerry Rice's son has not been drafted yet?

Just went to the Chargers.

Good spot.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well it’s been a blast you all, can’t wait to see how the forums sentiment towards Ballard shifts this week

Where almost up again.

Then we get the UDFA rush for next few hours.

• Thanks 1

good audio on colts.com with Jaylin Simpson... he is a DB and can play CB and S... this could be a huge pick ... he is not happy he didn't go until the 5th... has a chip and feels he is one of the best...

tried to paste it here , but it didn't put it in

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Lots of big DTs could go undrafted 

Leonard Taylor Miami

Fabien Lovett Sr., Florida State

Gabe Hall, Baylor

Although we just took a DT with last pick.

UDFA is going to be interesting this year I think?

• Like 1

we had one of the weakest secondaries in the league last year... we come out of this draft with virtually No Help... 

IMO this is Unacceptable.!!! especially in one of the most CB heavy drafts we have seen in years... 

I know it is early...but I believe Ballard Really Missed A Lot of opportunities to fix this area... he is so focused on RAS... 

Eagles drafted Mitchell & DeJean... probably the  best 2 CB's ...

we are in a division that our competition has loaded up on star WR & TE's in FA and the Draft... 

after 8 years of Ballard ( the first few years I was a fan)  I Do Not Truly Believe the Colts Will get a Ring under him as the GM... he just will Not make the moves to take us to the next level.... the AFC South is becoming a very strong division with all the new talented QB's ... time will tell and I hope I am wrong, but my gut says I am not...  add in Bradley's Defense... Not at All Impressed... initial draft grade.. at best maybe a B-....  

IMO this year will determine Ballard's future... if Gus can make this defense similar to Legion of Bloom... I don't see it we Do Not have the Playmakers he had...

58 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just went to the Chargers.

Good spot.

Where almost up again.

Then we get the UDFA rush for next few hours.

I thought we were done. My bad. Crap. Yeah. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CS Coltsfan said:

we had one of the weakest secondaries in the league last year... we come out of this draft with virtually No Help... 

IMO this is Unacceptable.!!! especially in one of the most CB heavy drafts we have seen in years... 

I know it is early...but I believe Ballard Really Missed A Lot of opportunities to fix this area... he is so focused on RAS... 

Eagles drafted Mitchell & DeJean... probably the  best 2 CB's ...

we are in a division that our competition has loaded up on star WR & TE's in FA and the Draft... 

after 8 years of Ballard ( the first few years I was a fan)  I Do Not Truly Believe the Colts Will get a Ring under him as the GM... he just will Not make the moves to take us to the next level.... the AFC South is becoming a very strong division with all the new talented QB's ... time will tell and I hope I am wrong, but my gut says I am not...  add in Bradley's Defense... Not at All Impressed... initial draft grade.. at best maybe a B-....  

IMO this year will determine Ballard's future... if Gus can make this defense similar to Legion of Bloom... I don't see it we Do Not have the Playmakers he had...

Our secondary actually played pretty well after week 10.

second: he did NOT focus on RAS this draft. In fact this draft was very much production based from our first pick to our latest.  No real long term projects like in years past. 

as for the legion of boom different era. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

second: he did NOT focus on RAS this draft. In fact this draft was very much production based from our first pick to our latest.  No real long term projects like in years past. 

agree on the RAS this year... if Latu becomes a  big pass rusher he will make the secondary better... but in regards to getting better.... we allowed some the biggest plays ... may be the D maybe the talent / combo... 

IMO opinion for us to make the playoffs and further these needs to stop !!!. 

my fear is like I said we don't have a Shutdown and we had are chances... Ballard is into picks!!

The Eagles room left after their last pick I believe top of 6th.. they have been and won SB in the last few years...

I would prefer to go for top talent and less picks... but then I am a mere fan

• Like 1

Who is Player X?

I spent the last two months searching for the most overlooked prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft. After canvassing scouts, tracking the results of pro day workouts, watching tape and strategizing like a general manager, I picked a player I believe is the draft’s best-kept secret: a small school prospect with no combine invite and no top-three all-star game appearance but a good shot to get drafted.

https://theathletic.com/5436084/2024/04/23/nfl-draft-most-overlooked-prospect-x?source=user-shared-article

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Lots of big DTs could go undrafted 

Leonard Taylor Miami

Fabien Lovett Sr., Florida State

Gabe Hall, Baylor

It’s pretty damn wild Leonard Taylor went undrafted. Some people had him as a 1st rounder 6 months ago. Unbelievable actually. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

It’s pretty damn wild Leonard Taylor went undrafted. Some people had him as a 1st rounder 6 months ago. Unbelievable actually. 

Sometimes when this happens it’s because of an unknown injury.  Or in other cases it might be drug or alcohol related.   That’s often the quiet excuse when good players don’t get drafted.

Odds are he’ll now get grabbed as a free agent if he hasn’t been already. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sometimes when this happens it’s because of an unknown injury.  Or in other cases it might be drug or alcohol related.   That’s often the quiet excuse when good players don’t get drafted.

Odds are he’ll now get grabbed as a free agent if he hasn’t been already. 

I heard he had a phenomenal 2022 season, but in 2023 it looked like he didn't give any effort at all. I'm guessing there's more to it than that and there are some off-field issues.

He'll likely get picked up as an UDFA and if not teams have definitely dug up something about him they don't like at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I heard he had a phenomenal 2022 season, but in 2023 it looked like he didn't give any effort at all. I'm guessing there's more to it than that and there are some off-field issues.

He'll likely get picked up as an UDFA and if not teams have definitely dug up something about him they don't like at all.

From the Athletic, he was picked up by the Jets:

155. Leonard Taylor III, DT, Miami (6-3, 303)

Taylor doesn’t lack for talent, but the raw physical tools aren’t enough and won’t deliver consistent on-field production until he develops a more disciplined approach. While there is untapped potential there, it will require a patient coaching staff and complete buy-in from the player for him to work his way into an NFL rotation.

(Update: Taylor reportedly has signed with the New York Jets.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

From the Athletic, he was picked up by the Jets:

Maybe, He'd not work out with Flores and Vikings as the DC could be intense I guess and not exactly patient through any disciplinary issues or for the player who struggles through prescribed development process.

Jets don't shy away from such prospects and Saleh has been okay with such players too, I think. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@2006Coltsbestever  check this video. Nate Tice is one of the guests. (You said you did not know him.) Check the video around 7 minutes and after

Thanks. I think the thing with Penix is, they are shocked that Atlanta picked him because they have Cousins. Not because Penix isn't a 1st round pick. IMO, had Penix not been taken by Atlanta, I would find it hard to believe the Broncos would have passed on him. They drafted Nix at 12, that pick would have been Penix, still making Penix a top 12 pick. Penix without debate is better than Nix.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

Our 3rd rd pick projects as a low ceiling future RG starter. 

4th round C projects as being pushed back into our QB's face against quality caliber DT's. 

There is nothing else drafted that projects beyond 2-3 year developmental, long shot, low ceiling future starters. We desperately needed a 3rd high ceiling future starter quality prospect. And we needed him Now!

It's fantastic that we got TJ Watt-CD Lamb comps the first 2 rounds.