Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL Draft Day 3 (Rounds 4 through 7) Discussion Thread ****NO SPOILERS****

44 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Feel like we could have taken a RB or LB on day 3.

Hopefully our decision to pass up on Braelon Allen (RB) and Jeremiah Trotter Jr (LB) doesn't come back to bite us.

Carlies is going to play LB, 5th rounder.

And, I don't know how feasible, but:

Trent Pennix (6'1" 230lbs), UDFA utility tool, played RB/FB/TE at NC State, maybe they are eyeing some kind of #3RB/FB role for him?

Either way, we still need need to bring in a vet, imo.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thanks. I think the thing with Penix is, they are shocked that Atlanta picked him because they have Cousins. Not because Penix isn't a 1st round pick. IMO, had Penix not been taken by Atlanta, I would find it hard to believe the Broncos would have passed on him. They drafted Nix at 12, that pick would have been Penix, still making Penix a top 12 pick. Penix without debate is better than Nix.

One of those guys, Nate Tice, said that Penix was 7th on his list, after Spencer Rattler. In the other podcast, he said that Rattler and Nix had traits/skills that translate to the NFL. He did not think Penix did. I think he is very surprised Penix went that earlier because in the previous podcast, he said he saw Penix as a Day 3 guy.

@VikingsFanInChennaii   Did you see the post about the most overlooked prospect?? It was about a guy that was drafted by the Vikes. It seems that every year The Athletic does a feature on a player who seems not to get attention that the author believes the prospect deserves. The Vikes drafted this year's most overlooked player. I posted a link yesterday.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

One of those guys, Nate Tice, said that Penix was 7th on his list, after Spencer Rattler. In the other podcast, he said that Rattler and Nix had traits/skills that translate to the NFL. He did not think Penix did. I think he is very surprised Penix went that earlier because in the previous podcast, he said he saw Penix as a Day 3 guy.

That is why I made the comment = I have never heard of the guy. because I can't respect an opinion when someone says Rattler is better than Penix which I knew he had said that after someone else posted he said that. That is one of most outrageous takes I have ever heard to be honest. It seemed like they were stunned he went 8th more than anything; I get that. 

• Thanks 1

The NFL site had the Colts draft as a B+ so I will take that as something to be happy about. 

Grade

B+

Indianapolis Colts

Draft picks

UCLA DE Laiatu Latu (No. 15 overall)

Texas WR Adonai Mitchell (No. 52)

Pitt OT Matt Goncalves (No. 79)

Wisconsin C Tanor Bortolini (No. 117)

Oregon State WR Anthony Gould (No. 142)

Missouri LB Jaylon Carlies (No. 151)

Auburn DB Jaylin Simpson (No. 164)

Marshall DB Micah Abraham (No. 201)

Oklahoma DT Jonah Laulu (No. 234)

Day 1 grade: B+

Day 2 grade: B

Day 3 grade: A-

Analysis: Latu was the most consistent pass rusher in the draft class and will be productive if the neck injury he suffered while at Washington is not an issue moving forward. The team found a potential steal in Mitchell, provided his game matures, while trading down for two Day 3 picks. Trading up for Gonclaves seemed unnecessary, though he should be at least a solid swing tackle; he's been recovering from a foot injury but said after the draft that he feels 100%.

Bortolini looks like Ryan Kelly's heir apparent; he also has the experience, strength and athleticism to play guard until needed in the middle. Gould brings real value as a returner, especially with the new kickoff rules. Carlies moves from safety to linebacker for the Colts. Simpson could man corner or safety; the athletic defender played both spots in college. Abraham is the son of former NFL player Donnie Abraham and a tough-minded corner in his own right, but the team is still looking for depth at edge.