Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NFL Draft Thread Day 1 (Final Discussions, Predictions, Rumors, etc…). ****NO SPOILERS****

We are 4 days out until the draft. Figured with the incoming flood of information we could just put everything we’re hearing in here as it comes in. We can also discuss potential trades, dream scenarios, etc…

• Like 3

First up: There’s been some concerning reports regarding A.D. Mitchell’s attitude as it relates to his diabetes 

Notable people (including Steve Smith Sr.) have also noted that he appears to give up  on his routes or not even try and sell them when he’s not actually getting the ball.

• Like 2

• w87r featured and pinned this topic

Should be interesting, supposed to hear the Falcons punishment for tampering with Kirk Cousins 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tampering-punishment-for-falcons-over-kirk-cousins-could-be-announced-this-week

Wonder if they make them swap 8 for 11 as punishment.

The made the Cardinals swap with Eagles a pick for tampering of Gannon

@NFLfan

@VikingsFanInChennai

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Should be interesting, supposed to hear the Falcons punishment for tampering with Kirk Cousins 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tampering-punishment-for-falcons-over-kirk-cousins-could-be-announced-this-week

@NFLfan

@VikingsFanInChennai

It better be announced this week, the draft is Thursday lol! haha 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

First up: There’s been some concerning reports regarding A.D. Mitchell’s attitude as it relates to his diabetes 

Notable people (including Steve Smith Sr.) have also noted that he appears to give up  on his routes or not even try and sell them when he’s not actually getting the ball.

Yeah, I have no interest in him honestly. I don't think I'd take him in the 2nd round at this point.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, w87r said:

@NFLfan

@VikingsFanInChennai

Tampering is such a weird thing to punish people for. Every team does it, it’s just a matter of how much and them getting caught. 

29 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Yeah, I have no interest in him honestly. I don't think I'd take him in the 2nd round at this point.

Yeah I’d pass too and I wonder if he’ll fall out the 1st completely. The diabetes isn’t an issue as Mark Andrews has it and has no issues. It’s the attitude. And you see it on the field too with his routes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Tampering is such a weird thing to punish people for. Every team does it, it’s just a matter of how much and them getting caught

Yeah, but the tampering here has just so much blatant acts and even admitted acts.

I think the punishment will be substantial here.

Cardinals got to swap 3rds for coach tampering, where I don't think there was quite as much evidence as here?

Really think the Vikings might get the 8th pick here and the Falcons end up with the 11th.

Would be huge for Minnesota.

#8 and #23 is almost enough for #3 on the chart. And only dropping to #8 is a big win for whoever is trading down from 3rd to 5th picks.

Really not much else out there Minnesota doesn't have a pick till the 4th round after #23.

So unless they make Atlanta give them a 2nd or 3rd in a swap for a 4th?

IDK?

• Like 1

When I see this and think about how Ballard talked about his coaches needing to have a plan for how they can utilize the players, Bowers is the guy that pops into my head. Plus Bowers doesn’t stop you from still adding to the receiver room later in the draft.

I have the Colts pick down to 5-6 players and Bowers is still one of them

1. Quinyon Mitchell, CB

2. Brian Thomas Jr., WR

3. Brock Bowers, TE

4. Jared Verse, Edge

5. Cooper DeJean, CB

6. Xavier Worthy, WR

Zach Hicks brought up on Twitter that last season was the first that Steichen didn’t have a high level TE. I know there’s optimism for Woods, but Bowers is a matchup nightmare who they can move all over the place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah, but the tampering here has just so much blatant acts and even admitted acts.

I think the punishment will be substantial here.

Cardinals got to swap 3rds for coach tampering, where I don't think there was quite as much evidence as here?

Really think the Vikings might get the 8th pick here and the Falcons end up with the 11th.

Would be huge for Minnesota.

#8 and #23 is almost enough for #3 on the chart. And only dropping to #8 is a big win for whoever is trading down from 3rd to 5th picks.

Really not much else out there Minnesota doesn't have a pick till the 4th round after #23.

So unless they make Atlanta give them a 2nd or 3rd in a swap for a 4th?

IDK?

While I thought there may be punishment for the Falcons, I did not think the Vikings would benefit in any way. In the past, teams have forfeited picks, no? I remember the Patriots forfeiting a pick but I cannot recall why. This was a few years ago.

If we do swap with the Falcons, it does not hurt the Falcons much but it does help the Vikings. I would rather stay at 8 and see what is there. I don't like mortgaging the future for a player.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

When I see this and think about how Ballard talked about his coaches needing to have a plan for how they can utilize the players, Bowers is the guy that pops into my head. Plus Bowers doesn’t stop you from still adding to the receiver room later in the draft.

I have the Colts pick down to 5-6 players and Bowers is still one of them

1. Quinyon Mitchell, CB

2. Brian Thomas Jr., WR

3. Brock Bowers, TE

4. Jared Verse, Edge

5. Cooper DeJean, CB

6. Xavier Worthy, WR

Zach Hicks brought up on Twitter that last season was the first that Steichen didn’t have a high level TE. I know there’s optimism for Woods, but Bowers is a matchup nightmare who they can move all over the place.

This site will be so happy to get Bowers.

(My two posts merged :()

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I saw that........   

I was hoping that we could trade back and still pick him up

If he is a nutcase.....  I dont want him 

@w87r

I know you love the guy but these are so Cousins-like:

The tampering was clear and obvious. At his introductory press conference, Cousins himself admitted to multiple circumstances that violated the rules that apply during the negotiating window that precedes the official start of free agency. He said he spoke with the team’s head athletic trainer during the negotiating window. He apparently spoke with director of player personnel Ryan Pace before the official launch of the league year.

Cousins also was directly involved in recruiting former Bears receiver Darnell Mooney to Atlanta, an Inception-style instance of tampering within tampering. And Cousins admitted that Falcons tight end Kyle Pitts had been actively recruiting Cousins for multiple weeks, conduct which becomes a violation if the recruiting happens with the knowledge or at the direction of the team.

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

While I thought there may be punishment for the Falcons, I did not think the Vikings would benefit in any way. In the past, teams have forfeited picks, no? I remember the Patriots forfeiting a pick but I cannot recall why. This was a few years ago.

If we do swap with the Falcons, it does not hurt the Falcons much but it does help the Vikings. I would rather stay at 8 and see what is there. I don't like mortgaging the future for a player.

That generally had been the case but the last few years the other team has been compensated for them.

Miami forfeited (2) picks for tampering with Brady and Sean Payton - so the team didn't benefit for some reason.

Yet last year the Cardinals tampered with Johnathan Gannon and had to swap 3rd round picks.

Fell like a read another recent case where the team got it, but maybe was thinking about Miami punishment.

Either way there is a precedent now.?

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I know you love the guy but these are so Cousins-like:

Parting gift.

Should be thanking him, not taking another shot at him.

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

They’re probably out on the 1st round QBs. It makes sense though because since they cut Wilson, the dead cap hit makes it kind of hard to draft a rookie QB. You’d be paying Wilson and a rookie QB contract.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

They’re probably out on the 1st round QBs. It makes sense though because since they cut Wilson, the dead cap hit makes it kind of hard to draft a rookie QB. You’d be paying Wilson and a rookie QB contract.

Could be a smoke screen to make teams think they won't be taking one early as well?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They are gonna pay someone a rookie 1st round contract.   I don't think trading for Zach Wilson will have an effect on their draft strategy 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They are gonna pay someone a rookie 1st round contract.   I don't think trading for Zach Wilson will have an effect on their draft strategy 

Everyone seems to believe that Denver will draft Nix. Is he that good?

I watched a podcast on the Athletic with Dane Bugler, Nate Tice and another person interviewing them. Bugler and Tice did not seem to like Nix or Penix but liked Nix better. Tice liked Spencer Rattler better than Nix or Penix. Nate Tice said Penix should be picked in Round 3 or Day 3 (I forgot).

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I watched a podcast on the Athletic with Dane Bugler, Nate Tice and another person interviewing them. Bugler and Tice did not seem to like Nix or Penix but liked Nix better. Tice liked Spencer Rattler better than Nix or Penix. Nate Tice said Penix should be picked in Round 3 or Day 3 (I forgot).

I think Bo Nix can be very good.   I think Sean Payton could do wonders for him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not really true.  He just had Goedart in Philly.  I’m not putting him much above Woods or Ogletree, if at all.  Honestly, if you assume Bowers is the next Gronk or Kelce, yeah, of course you take him.  But we’ve had a bunch of guys be dubbed the next Kelce, and none of them actually panned out.  Most recently, Kyle Pitts has shown not much more than flashes.  And TE is one of the areas of least need on the team IMO.  I don’t think I’d take Bowers if he fell to us at 15…

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Not really true.  He just had Goedart in Philly.  I’m not putting him much above Woods or Ogletree, if at all.  Honestly, if you assume Bowers is the next Gronk or Kelce, yeah, of course you take him.  But we’ve had a bunch of guys be dubbed the next Kelce, and none of them actually panned out.  Most recently, Kyle Pitts has shown not much more than flashes.  And TE is one of the areas of least need on the team IMO.  I don’t think I’d take Bowers if he fell to us at 15…

You’d have to evaluate Bowers as more than a TE and just simply look at him as a pass catcher. Also I usually tell people that  TE is never a need for a team, but more of a luxury. However, if you have a play caller like Steichen that maximizes players potential and likes to create mismatches, a guy like Bowers can be just as valuable.

Trust me I was anti-Bowers a few months ago when it was first proposed but after seeing Zach Hicks break down his Georgia film and show how he’d work in Shane’s offense, I’ve come around to the idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’d have to evaluate Bowers as more than a TE and just simply look at him as a pass catcher. Also I usually tell people that  TE is never a need for a team, but more of a luxury. However, if you have a play caller like Steichen that maximizes players potential and likes to create mismatches, a guy like Bowers can be just as valuable.

Trust me I was anti-Bowers a few months ago when it was first proposed but after seeing Zach Hicks break down his Georgia film and show how he’d work in Shane’s offense, I’ve come around to the idea.

I’ll have to search for Hicks’ break-down.  I hadn’t seen much tape of Bowers until a couple of weeks ago when I watched a highlight reel, and that was very impressive.  I’m just nervous about how hard it seems to be to predict TE success…

20 hours ago, w87r said:

@NFLfan

@VikingsFanInChennai

The Eagles swapped third round picks with the Arizona Cardinals and sent their 2024 fifth-round pick to settle a tampering issue after the NFC West team apparently contacted then-Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon too early in the hiring process.27 Apr 2023

Cardinals got a swapped 3rd round draft pick, at best.

I don't know why people are talking about the swap of #8 and #11, how would the punishment be so harsh for Falcons, compared to the precedence from past year?

I think it has to do with romanticizing draft pick exchange during people's mock drafts during this time of the year - Draft Season. 

If there's any punishment for Falcons at all, it will probably be lighter, same as last year or an early day 3 draft pick.. people expecting top 50 or  top 15 draft pick for Vikings as punishment of Falcons will probably be disappointed. 

22 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

don't know why people are talking about the swap of #8 and #11, how would the punishment be so harsh for Falcons, compared to the precedence from past year?

Because it's being reported their violations were much more abundant and plenty of evidence to support.

Most things I've saw, havestated the punishment is expected to be worse than Cardinals.

24 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

people expecting top 50 or  top 15 draft pick for Vikings as punishment of Falcons will probably be disappointed. 

I couldn't care less, I no longer wish good things for the Vikings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Cardinals got a swapped 3rd round draft pick, at best.

I don't know why people are talking about the swap of #8 and #11, how would the punishment be so harsh for Falcons, compared to the precedence from past year?

I think it has to do with romanticizing draft pick exchange during people's mock drafts during this time of the year - Draft Season. 

If there's any punishment for Falcons at all, it will probably be lighter, same as last year or an early day 3 draft pick.. people expecting top 50 or  top 15 draft pick for Vikings as punishment of Falcons will probably be disappointed. 

The writer of an article in The Falcoholic believes the punishment will come next year, not this year. He thinks it is too late to render punishment that will affect this year's draft. However, he thought the punishment would be stiff.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

I’ll have to search for Hicks’ break-down.  I hadn’t seen much tape of Bowers until a couple of weeks ago when I watched a highlight reel, and that was very impressive.  I’m just nervous about how hard it seems to be to predict TE success…

If I can find it, I’ll post it. But I think with most teams, they don’t have a plan for TEs. They just draft them just because. Steichen is a guy that seems to have a plan for the players that are drafted. And we’ve seen in Ballard’s recent presser that getting guys the staff can create a plan for is important to them.

This past season we drafted Downs who was different from the receivers that Ballard typically drafts. He had a lot of success because of his own ability, but Shane also schemed up ways to get him favorable match ups. I think Bowers is the type of guy that would flourish with Shane scheming him up. He’s a mismatch against LBs and safeties.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Nabers will probably fall the lowest between him and Odunze at minimum. I'll be curious if he makes it past the Bears at 9.

If he did, I think someone would trade up for him. It’s possible though. Misdemeanor gun charge and a shoulder injury. Odunze is the cleaner prospect. I could see certain teams liking him over Nabers (Colts included).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Broncos traded for Wilson, man look out now that makes them the Favorite to win it all. Broncos are a mess and haven't won jack since Peyton left homer simpson laughing GIF.

Broncos getting Zach Wilson is an insurance policy IMO in case they can't trade up for a QB or in case they want to trade down. It could also mean that they can't trade up for a top 4 QB and they are preparing to take someone on day 2 or 3 at QB. 

The Broncos suck, but not because of this move. As long as they take a QB, this move doesn't affect anything.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Spencer Rattler better than Michael Penix Jr and Nix. Wow! That has to be one of the most ridiculous takes I have ever heard. To be honest I have never heard of that Tice guy either. McCarthy will be the biggest bust in this draft and I feel confident in saying so. McCarthy = Mac Jones. Washington went as Penix went, he had to carry Washington all season with an above average O.Line and average running game. He had Rome and that was about it. McCarthy had the best O.Line in the country and arguably the best running game as well. He was a game manager and could win as long as he didn't turn it over. Michigan beat Washington because they ran for nearly 300 yards. Tommie Frazier would have won it all with that type of offense and he wasn't even drafted.

Regarding Kirk Cousins, at least you don't have him to pile on anymore. You will see how life without Kirk is, the Vikings will be lucky to win 7 games and I like the Vikings as a team. My father would be so disappointed in the Vikings FO right now and their fans at the way Kirk was treated. He was still alive in 2018 when the Vikings got Kirk and he loved the move. He was the biggest fan I ever knew. He loved them when they got Fran in the 70's and was a fan until he passed away in 2019. His favorite player was Peterson in this era. He said he would take him over any RB that ever played except maybe Barry Sanders. 

Kirk Cousins career with the Vikings: 2018-2023

*50-37-1 Record. A playoff win at New Orleans Saints in 2019, beating Brees.

*4 seasons with over 4000 yards

*3 seasons with over 30 TD's

*7.8 Y/A

*68% Completion

22 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Broncos getting Zach Wilson is an insurance policy IMO in case they can't trade up for a QB or in case they want to trade down. It could also mean that they can't trade up for a top 4 QB and they are preparing to take someone on day 2 or 3 at QB. 

The Broncos suck, but not because of this move. As long as they take a QB, this move doesn't affect anything.

I know, they should draft Penix.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Spencer Rattler better than Michael Penix Jr and Nix. Wow! That has to be one of the most ridiculous takes I have ever heard. To be honest I have never heard of that Tice guy either. McCarthy will be the biggest bust in this draft and I feel confident in saying so. McCarthy = Mac Jones. Washington went as Penix went, he had to carry Washington all season with an above average O.Line and average running game. He had Rome and that was about it. McCarthy had the best O.Line in the country and arguably the best running game as well. He was a game manager and could win as long as he didn't turn it over. Michigan beat Washington because they ran for nearly 300 yards. Tommie Frazier would have won it all with that type of offense and he wasn't even drafted.

Regarding Kirk Cousins, at least you don't have him to pile on anymore. You will see how life without Kirk is, the Vikings will be lucky to win 7 games and I like the Vikings as a team. My father would be so disappointed in the Vikings FO right now and their fans at the way Kirk was treated. He was still alive in 2018 when the Vikings got Kirk and he loved the move. He was the biggest fan I ever knew. He loved them when they got Fran in the 70's and was a fan until he passed away in 2019. His favorite player was Peterson in this era. He said he would take him over any RB that ever played except maybe Barry Sanders. 

Kirk Cousins career with the Vikings: 2018-2023

*50-37-1 Record. A playoff win at New Orleans Saints in 2019, beating Brees.

*4 seasons with over 4000 yards

*3 seasons with over 30 TD's

*7.8 Y/A

*68% Completion

I know, they should draft Penix.

I disagree. Bo Nix is a perfect scheme fit for Sean Payton. Sean Payton uses the West Coast Offense which Nix excels at. Penix is a deep ball thrower like Russell Wilson was and he doesn't fit Sean Payton at all. Nix is a dink and dunker that Sean Payton likes. 

Just now, Yoshinator said:

I disagree. Bo Nix is a perfect scheme fit for Sean Payton. Sean Payton uses the West Coast Offense which Nix excels at. Penix is a deep ball thrower like Russell Wilson was and he doesn't fit Sean Payton at all. Nix is a dink and dunker that Sean Payton likes. 

Nix and Penix is like splitting hairs. Penix ran a pro-style offense at Washington and passed a lot and beat Nix twice. Nix is good though. Maybe they should take Spencer Rattler Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nix and Penix is like splitting hairs. Penix ran a pro-style offense at Washington and passed a lot and beat Nix twice. Nix is good though. Maybe they should take Spencer Rattler Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Rattler is possible for them if he falls to the 3rd round. They are in a pretty terrible spot though.