Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

sounds like a Steelers WR lol

Steelers picking at No.20 probably want him to get past Bengals and Jaguars so that they can draft Adonai Mitchell, so could be an article blessed by the organization too :) 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I don't think the Colts have any trade up plans primarily bc they didn't do much in FA. The plan likely is to add picks not give them away. You can add multiple blue chip defenders if you trade back #15 while still getting a blue chip WR in Rd 1. Blue chip according to the Colts standards more than the pundits and fans who are often wrong. I like the trade back the best unless Bowers or somebody else we didn't think would be there is sitting there at #15. I think the passing over better players logic is faulty for the most part bc it's based on people's perception and not how a team has things ranked on their board.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I think, regardless of what the fans might think, their lack of FAs and re-signing all our own means the Colts believe this team is truly capable of making waves in 2024, being only 1 play away from a playoff birth/division title. 

I think they believe that they are a couple pieces away but clearly need a top skill position wideout to pair with Pittman and Downs. Every pick after that is fillers, depth, and/or less important needs in their minds. 

You could wind up being correct but I'm sticking with my trade up scenario where the only way I'm wrong is that we find out later, the Colts could not find a trade partner or that the trade partners really wanted to much in compensation.

I'm sticking with Colts trade to with Chargers and take Nabers at pick 5.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I think, regardless of what the fans might think, their lack of FAs and re-signing all our own means the Colts believe this team is truly capable of making waves in 2024, being only 1 play away from a playoff birth/division title. 

I think they believe that they are a couple pieces away but clearly need a top skill position wideout to pair with Pittman and Downs. Every pick after that is fillers, depth, and/or less important needs in their minds. 

You could wind up being correct but I'm sticking with my trade up scenario where the only way I'm wrong is that we find out later, the Colts could not find a trade partner or that the trade partners really wanted to much in compensation.

Hasn't Nabers been primarily a slot wr?  Why would they trade all the way to 5 for a slot wrs that needs to work on playing outside

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U r intent on  building a team with an offense but having a defense that has no talent. Welcome to Manning 2.0

No intent on building  offense first  then fixing  the d next year. We have talent on defense.  Three of which were hurt most the year in the secondary we will can still find zone corners in the second third  4th 5th 6th 7th. Heck our best ones are undrafted and 7th rounder and our 5th rounder didn't  make the team. Our second rounder was hurt. Given Ballard's tendency  to draft the wrong corner early see quincy wilson,  rock ya sin I rather not draft another bust at corner in the first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I would really like us to sign Cooper, I don't have confidence in Franklin and Speeds ability to cover which Cooper is a true 3 down LB while Franklin and Speed should be off the field on 3rd downs

Depends  on his ras score

12 hours ago, DattMavis said:

I was very high on BTJ early, but he terrifies me the more I watch him. Crazy potential, but is a one trick pony, and you have to be certain you can develop him. 

I would prefer Adonai at this point, but he absolutely takes plays off during runs or if he doesn't think he's getting the ball. I don't think Ballard will think he matches the culture.

Btj is a more polished  Alec pierce.

45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I don't think we trade up either. I can see us trading  back to acquire  another 2nd and then going  wr cb lb or edge in no particular  order

Would it make more sense if Ballard were to trade up to do it before the draft or while it’s going on? Would the compensation needed to give up be more or less if done before? Obviously Ballard would need to know a certain player or two would be available at whatever spot he traded up to if he did so before the draft. I know those trades don’t happen too often but just was curious. 

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

Everyone quick! What are some questions you guys would like answered? I’ll reply to him 

What is the best addition that could be made to give Richardson the best chance to take the next step to becoming the Colts franchise QB? Most would agree that is the most important thing to accomplish this offseason. 

20 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Everyone quick! What are some questions you guys would like answered? I’ll reply to him 

No one will get any real answers.   He won't give anything away,  nor should he

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wig said:

There's a ton of conjecture here based on a guy that has shown no positional bias and whose last 1st round pick as part of the Chiefs was a corner 

I didn't offer it as absolute fact, but if you think Ballard has shown no positional bias I think you're very mistaken.

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

I say round one , you say round 2 or round 3 . We shall see said the duck

To be clear, I'm not saying he won't be drafted in the first round. Just saying where I think he should be rated. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted in the first round.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Is trading up  in the 1st rd a possibility given your current draft position?

CB...." Yes, we plan on trading up with the Cardinals so we can draft MHJ. Mr. Irsay told me to do whatever it takes. Next question.":lol:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wig said:

There's a ton of conjecture here based on a guy that has shown no positional bias and whose last 1st round pick as part of the Chiefs was a corner 

What scheme was that corner drafted to play in? 

13 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Dang. Yeah, I didn't see this before my last post.

Yeah, this absolutely matches what you see on the tape. Takes plays off if he doesn't think he's getting the ball. I'm not sure if he's a team first guy. 

Before you jump to a conclusion based on that salacious headline -- not saying you did -- take a closer look at the article. 

"When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It's why you get really, really * character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas. But when his stuff is normal, and they get him normal by lunch time, he's out at practice high energy, best practice player, loves football...""

He has Type 1 diabetes. Maybe he needs to do a better job of managing it, but I thought the headline was misleading. I'm not totally disregarding the character stuff though.

Further context here:

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Today I listened to a guy from The Athletic interviewed on ESPN.   (Darren Lee). He said interviewing GMs at the combine, almost all view DeJean as a safety except two teams.  He thinks the Colts and Jags view DeJean as a corner.  

I don’t know this reporter, never seen him before, so I can’t speak to his credibility.  But it sounds like he did a lot of homework.  

And I appreciate your view on pro day times being reliable or not.   I’m always skeptical on pro days.  But I thought DeJean helped himself on his testing.  

I agree on how the Colts view Cooper. He is a zone corner and if they drafted him, it would be in the 2nd.

4 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

What scheme was that corner drafted to play in? 

I wasn't even going to go there because I don't think what the Chiefs did in 2015 -- with John Dorsey as the GM, and Bob Sutton as the DC -- is a straight line to Ballard's team building philosophies with the Colts. 

Sutton was a 3-4 guy who used a lot more man coverage and asked a lot more of his boundary corners than the Colts do. They also played outside on grass, and one of the big revelations Ballard shared in 2018 is that he doesn't think dome teams should play 3-4 defense. That, on top of other deviations from what the Chiefs did when Ballard was there, makes it pretty clear that he's not trying to emulate the Chiefs' defensive approach.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Today I listened to a guy from The Athletic interviewed on ESPN.   (Darren Lee). He said interviewing GMs at the combine, almost all view DeJean as a safety except two teams.  He thinks the Colts and Jags view DeJean as a corner.  

I don’t know this reporter, never seen him before, so I can’t speak to his credibility.  But it sounds like he did a lot of homework.  

And I appreciate your view on pro day times being reliable or not.   I’m always skeptical on pro days.  But I thought DeJean helped himself on his testing.  

I wonder whether there's anything to his reporting. Either way, I think he'd be better at safety / nickel. Even if the Colts view him as a boundary corner, I think they view corner as a Day 2 position. 

DeJean definitely helped himself on his testing. I don't think the 40 time was concerning, even if I wasn't blown away by it. His explosive numbers were very good; if you watch his high school basketball clips, you'll see his explosiveness. And like stitches said, the Colts love explosive DBs, maybe even more than they love fast DBs. 

And yeah, I side-eye any timed speeds when they don't happen at the Combine. There's hand timing, some surfaces are different, I've read that some tracks have a slight grade to them, etc. I don't know how they prepare all the 40 tracks, but I know that everyone that runs at the Combine gets the same surface, same conditions, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Hasn't Nabers been primarily a slot wr?  Why would they trade all the way to 5 for a slot wrs that needs to work on playing outside

I think he plays in and out

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wasn't even going to go there because I don't think what the Chiefs did in 2015 -- with John Dorsey as the GM, and Bob Sutton as the DC -- is a straight line to Ballard's team building philosophies with the Colts. 

Sutton was a 3-4 guy who used a lot more man coverage and asked a lot more of his boundary corners than the Colts do. They also played outside on grass, and one of the big revelations Ballard shared in 2018 is that he doesn't think dome teams should play 3-4 defense. That, on top of other deviations from what the Chiefs did when Ballard was there, makes it pretty clear that he's not trying to emulate the Chiefs' defensive approach.

That has always been my issue going back to the Polian years. They preferred undersized players to fit this scheme. That was great when they had a lead and played indoors. The problem  is that teams started running the ball to keep Peyton on the bench. Plus, u get in bad weather and on grass, their speed is negated and they are just a bunch of undersized players getting blown off the ball. I am in favor of building a team that can play in any environment and that can run various schemes. I see flexibility with the offence, however the D is the same old. That's why I think this is an important draft defensively. Will the Colts stray from their previous tendancies of drafting players that fit the Seattle scheme or will they deviate and say draft a man corner? Last year we were all on the edge of our seats when a trade was made at 3. Will we get our qb at 4? We were all on pins and needles till they made that pick. This draft has that same excitement for me. At 15 will Ballard and company do something different? This team needs a play maker on D and I contend that is their biggest need. I don't believe they get that player moving back.  Sure u may get him at 15 but if u really want a playmaker, this just might be the year to say move up and get a guy like Mirchell and Latu who may fall because of the medical. I am not in favor of getting a wr or te. Richardson, if he is the guy, should deliver explosive plays with our current roster.  Jot a fan of Gus and this scheme, but I really don't think he has a lot to work with and Ballard kind of eluded to that in his post season pressers.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That has always been my issue going back to the Polian years. They preferred undersized players to fit this scheme. That was great when they had a lead and played indoors. The problem  is that teams started running the ball to keep Peyton on the bench. Plus, u get in bad weather and on grass, their speed is negated and they are just a bunch of undersized players getting blown off the ball. I am in favor of building a team that can play in any environment and that can run various schemes. I see flexibility with the offence, however the D is the same old. That's why I think this is an important draft defensively. Will the Colts stray from their previous tendancies of drafting players that fit the Seattle scheme or will they deviate and say draft a man corner? Last year we were all on the edge of our seats when a trade was made at 3. Will we get our qb at 4? We were all on pins and needles till they made that pick. This draft has that same excitement for me. At 15 will Ballard and company do something different? This team needs a play maker on D and I contend that is their biggest need. I don't believe they get that player moving back.  Sure u may get him at 15 but if u really want a playmaker, this just might be the year to say move up and get a guy like Mirchell and Latu who may fall because of the medical. I am not in favor of getting a wr or te. Richardson, if he is the guy, should deliver explosive plays with our current roster.  Jot a fan of Gus and this scheme, but I really don't think he has a lot to work with and Ballard kind of eluded to that in his post season pressers.

I don't think the defense is the same old. For starters, our defense is no longer undersized, and doesn't struggle against the run.

If the Colts draft a man coverage corner in the first round, it will signal a major departure from the previous way of doing things, and it probably means Gus Bradley is gone after this season. I'm not against any of that happening. I just don't expect it, based on the established pattern.

As for what Ballard said in his presser, he also acknowledged that the expected top three boundary corners were unavailable for most of the season. Brents was our highly drafted rookie, and only played 9 games; Flowers played four games; Rodgers was released. That left us with rookies and journeyman playing corner most of the season. With Brents in Year 2 and hopefully healthy, Flowers back and healthy, another year in for Jaylon Jones, that gives Bradley a lot more to work with in the secondary. And I think that's more what Ballard was implying with his comments. Otherwise, he probably would have signed a veteran corner already.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think the defense is the same old. For starters, our defense is no longer undersized, and doesn't struggle against the run.

If the Colts draft a man coverage corner in the first round, it will signal a major departure from the previous way of doing things, and it probably means Gus Bradley is gone after this season. I'm not against any of that happening. I just don't expect it, based on the established pattern.

As for what Ballard said in his presser, he also acknowledged that the expected top three boundary corners were unavailable for most of the season. Brents was our highly drafted rookie, and only played 9 games; Flowers played four games; Rodgers was released. That left us with rookies and journeyman playing corner most of the season. With Brents in Year 2 and hopefully healthy, Flowers back and healthy, another year in for Jaylon Jones, that gives Bradley a lot more to work with in the secondary. And I think that's more what Ballard was implying with his comments. Otherwise, he probably would have signed a veteran corner already.

I would consider Buckner a man however I would prefer our ends to be a little beefier. Our linebackers are on the light side, and  I get it as they prefer them built that way so that it will assist them in pass coverage. I am not confident at all going into the season with our secondary and that includes our safeties. Just more questions then answers.

29 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

image.png.7dd2bd25fdf3783497d2d77e17397ed7.png

Scharager has never been right and just throws his predictions at the wall hoping out of 50 of them, one may come true. No way Colts move up to 4. No way Arizona moves out of 4 to pick at 15 plus whatever else the Colts offer. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, I think u can throw a lot of those run stats out  last year as the Colts played some horrendous qbs. I would look at the games against good qbs who had balanced offences. I think u may see some differences in how they matched up. Easier to focus on stopping the run  when u got a garbage qb who really offers little resistance to the opposing defense. This D has proved over the last 7 years that when it plays a good qb with a good offence, it will get lit up both against the run and pass. And by chance, if it does have a good game against the run, I bet the very good qb leaves the game with HOF stats.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Also, I think u can throw a lot of those run stats out  last year as the Colts played some horrendous qbs. I would look at the games against good qbs who had balanced offences. I think u may see some differences in how they matched up. Easier to focus on stopping the run  when u got a garbage qb who really offers little resistance to the opposing defense. This D has proved over the last 7 years that when it plays a good qb with a good offence, it will get lit up both against the run and pass. And by chance, if it does have a good game against the run, I bet the very good qb leaves the game with HOF stats.

For several seasons, the run defense has been adequate to good. Even if there's variance from week to week, or room for improvement, the run defense has not been a problem. Unlike in the Polian/Dungy days, and even a lot of the Pagano defenses, where the run defense was a major weakness, that's not the case. 

The idea that we have an undersized defense that can't stop the run -- just like we did with Peyton Manning -- isn't true. 

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Scharager has never been right and just throws his predictions at the wall hoping out of 50 of them, one may come true. No way Colts move up to 4. No way Arizona moves out of 4 to pick at 15 plus whatever else the Colts offer. 

It's probably unlikely, but there's always a way. You can't rule anything out in a draft.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

To be clear, I'm not saying he won't be drafted in the first round. Just saying where I think he should be rated. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted in the first round.

The more I read on him , the more I think my first take on him was too high. I think he goes somewhere between P 26-27 and pick 40.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Do you view Dejean as a safety or cornerback?

I'd say a corner in our scheme bc we play a lot of off coverage and that's his fortay. But if it doesn't work then switch him to safety. He is a little stiff in the hips in man and when he turns and runs in zone. I won't say it's terrible. I think you have to do it that way bc that is where most of his experience and production is at.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Oh, he's biased towards the trenches without a doubt. But that doesn't equate being against a first round corner or WR to me

50 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Not correct about Schraeger.  That’s just your opinion.  In actuality it has been proven and reported many times his predictions turn out to be the most accurate.  Probably because he talks to a very large number of GM’s and executives from the combine up and until now.  He waits until right before the draft to make his mock.  His is one to pay attention to.

21 minutes ago, wig said:

Oh, he's biased towards the trenches without a doubt. But that doesn't equate being against a first round corner or WR to me

Your previous comment was that he's shown no positional bias. I think his bias toward the trenches is a practical bias away from the outside positions. And my thinking is based on a considerable amount of evidence that I think paints a discernible picture of Ballard's team building philosophies. I'm not saying I'm absolutely right about this, you might not find that evidence as compelling as I do. But I think Ballard has shown/told us what he values, and in what order.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not correct about Schraeger.  That’s just your opinion.  In actuality it has been proven and reported many times his predictions turn out to be the most accurate.  Probably because he talks to a very large number of GM’s and executives from the combine up and until now.  He waits until right before the draft to make his mock.  His is one to pay attention to.

K....please provide one.

29 minutes ago, wig said:

I think people know I favor   a DE or corner at 15. However, how would people feel if they went Murphy? I know people see it as a strength with Buckner and Stewart. Buckner has just resigned, however he will be 31. Stewart is primarily a run first DT. By drafting Murphy, u could be getting your 3 tech of the future, and they are hard to get. If Richardon becomes a star, it might be their only chance to swing this early in the draft for a position u covet.  U could also have a great interior pass rush and therefore affecting the opposing teams Oline and in essence making the D as a whole better. We all know Ballard loves the 3tech and showed that by trading a 1st for Buckner. Could be an interesting wrinkle to the draft.