Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think it would take a miracle for Bowers to make it to the Colts.  What I am hoping for is we acquire Sneed and then draft Terrian Arnold to start at CB opposite him.  Those two along with Moore would make an awesome trio in the defensive backfield.  

I want Sneed and the best wr on the board in the 1st. We can add another cb in the second as offense  is more important  than defense. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I want Sneed and the best wr on the board in the 1st. We can add another cb in the second as offense  is more important  than defense. 

If they get Sneed there is no reason to draft another corner high because they have Brents, Jones, and Flowers all coming back who played well last year plus Kenny.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

If they get Sneed there is no reason to draft another corner high because they have Brents, Jones, and Flowers all coming back who played well last year plus Kenny.

Well they won’t have any huge needs if they get sneed. So they are going to be able to get some great depth and improve the roster.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well they won’t have any huge needs if they get sneed. So they are going to be able to get some great depth and improve the roster.

Have a giant hole at safety right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Have a giant hole at safety right now.

Plenty of options out there.

Hopefully we get this Sneed situation over and move forward.

Still fully expect (1) vet S and really probably (2). Way more supply than there is demand.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Still fully expect (1) vet S and really probably (2). Way more supply than there is demand.

Oh I know just saying right now it’s a big hole that still has to be filled.  No doubt it will be.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Oh I know just saying right now it’s a big hole that still has to be filled.  No doubt it will be.

Water Man GIF by DevX Art

Yep, ready to get addressing it.

14 hours ago, w87r said:

I don’t see two outsider safeties being signed but getting Blackmon back and signing Simmons seems like a real possibility. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I don’t see two outsider safeties being signed but getting Blackmon back and signing Simmons seems like a real possibility. 

That would hit the 2 vet Safeties description.

I don't know though, if Blackmon isn't brought back I could see a 2nd vet brought in. Not talking big money guy but you know $3-$4m or so?

Just wish this Sneed situation would end, one way or the other, that way we can make our last few FA additions and get ready for the draft. If we are making any more before then?

I agree with you that having to wait for Sneed before making a move for a FS is frustrating. But the fact that the market has calmed down for the remaining FS’s does play into the Colts’ hands. Simmons would be an awesome get and hopefully is the Colts’ top target given the need for a talented, experienced  center fielder. I’m not clear what his prospective salary is supposed to be but every day he remains unsigned should improve  the Colts’ chances of getting him for a bargain. Sneed and Simmons would instantly turn the Colts’ secondary into a force, and make this off season a major success. 

• Like 1

Just read a tweet from Dov Kleiman reporting the 49er’s wanted the 17th pick in this years draft and Zay Jones from the Jaguar’s for WR Brandon Aiyuk.  Colts sit at 15.  Should Ballard take a swing at acquiring Aiyuk? 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read a tweet from Dov Kleiman reporting the 49er’s wanted the 17th pick in this years draft and Zay Jones from the Jaguar’s for WR Brandon Aiyuk.  Colts sit at 15.  Should Ballard take a swing at acquiring Aiyuk? 

I think I’d rather sit at 15 and get another young WR if the Colts want to go in that direction and let that kid develop with Richardson and not have two really big contracts back-to-back (Aiyuk’s is coming up) at WR.  Richardson is only in his second year the Colts can afford to acquire weapons who are around Richardson’s age to grow with him.  IMO they already have enough older than him.  

Just now, richard pallo said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.  Isn’t Texas the school with those highly rated DT prospects?

Yup, Byron Murphy and T'Vondre Sweat are both from Texas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Oh, apologies, I just realized this isn't strictly free agent related and maybe it's better suited for the Draft section. I just latched on to the Steichen, Cooter and Wayne attending part and thought it would interest people.

Feel free to move it mods.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We need explosion.  Trade pick 15 and 46 to ATL for pick 8, and pick the most explosive guy on the board.  Don't settle for what's left at 15.

Who will be there at 8?

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who will be there at 8?

I don't know. frankly. 

I have not gotten involved in the draft/college player stuff this year, so I have no recommendations.  I'm just talking about explosion, something that Ballard said he wants, and conceptually how to get it.  But I don't know if it would match with any specific player this draft.  That pick 46 will get us a nice player, but probably won't register on the explosion meter, so its fine to sacrifice that pick if it means getting true explosion in round 1.

Thinking out loud, I know a few players who will likely be taken before 8.  There may be 4 QBs taken in the top 7 picks.  And also WR Harrison Jr, and LT Joe Alt.

That's 6 players.  I keep mentioning Bowers, but that's only because he's about the only player name I really know.  I'd think the best EDGE player would be a good pick at 8...if the value is there for him. 

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We need explosion.  Trade pick 15 and 46 to ATL for pick 8, and pick the most explosive guy on the board.  Don't settle for what's left at 15.

I want brian thomas jr,  but not sure about adonai

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 8:00 PM, richard pallo said:

49ers can go pound sand with that kind of demand. They are not getting anything more than a mid 2nd rounder for Aiyuk. If they get even that, they should be happy. Given the depth of the WR class, they may land a 3rd and Zay Jones tops.

Tyreek Hill and DaVante Adams were the only ones to fetch a mid to late 1st. Aiyuk is not in the same zip code, IMO.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It's weird to say but 3 of the most explosive players in this draft will very likely be there for us to pick at 15... maybe even a bit later if we decide to trade back... 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's weird to say but 3 of the most explosive players in this draft will very likely be there for us to pick at 15... maybe even a bit later if we decide to trade back... 

Who are they?

Just now, stitches said:

The Texas guys - Adonai Mitchell and Xavier Worthy and Brian Thomas from LSU. 

Sorry, I know nothing about college players this year.  Are they WRs?

And what would you do with AP?  Its a question that needs answering if we go WR in the first, because almost assuredly that guy will start because of draft slot.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

if Ballard doesn’t get Sneed or a veteran with similar pedigree I think he will take a CB with the pick.  I could even see him double dipping so to speak and still draft a CB at 15.  He might have the pick of that group.  We all like Brent’s but given he had the starting role last year he had a hard time staying healthy.  Not a good start and Ballard knows his seat is warm.  The secondary needs addressing big time imo.  That’s why I think this time leading up to the draft will help determine how his draft plans fall into place.  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And what would you do with AP?  Its a question that needs answering if we go WR in the first, because almost assuredly that guy will start because of draft slot.

You wouldn't  do anything  with pierce he still has two years left. Pierce would just be wr 4

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

if Ballard doesn’t get Sneed or a veteran with similar pedigree I think he will take a CB with the pick.  I could even see him double dipping so to speak and still draft a CB at 15.  He might have the pick of that group.  We all like Brent’s but given he had the starting role last year he had a hard time staying healthy.  Not a good start and Ballard knows his seat is warm.  The secondary needs addressing big time imo.  That’s why I think this time leading up to the draft will help determine how his draft plans fall into place.  

Think about this though.  What is the salary cap hit of a pick 15 player?  Pretty high, all things considered?  If Ballard doesn't seriously go for Sneed, a proven player, because of price; do you think he will spend a good capital draft pick and the salary cap implications for a player that is NOT proven?   I think corner is just too high of a price at 15, IMO.

I think its EDGE, WR, or TE (Bowers), and then try to trade the guy pick 15 will be replacing...maybe some sort of package.  JMO.  But maybe I'm over thinking this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes both are WRs. 

Mitchell is prototypical X receiver with a lot of speed. He's tall, big, explosive, fast... ran 4.34 40 at 6'2 205lbs. 

Worthy is the guy that beat the all time 40 record at the combine - 4.21... He's more of a Z/slot type... has shiftiness and YAC ability in addition to ability to go deep. He's small though... 5'8 166 or whatever....

Brian Thomas is probably the best of them... IMO he can line up pretty much everywhere. He's somewhat overlooked because he played with Malik Nabers but Thomas was really productive too... had 17TDs and about 1200 yards receiving this last season. He's big 6'3" 210 and ran 4.33 too.. He was probably the best deep threat receiver in college last year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Think about this though.  What is the salary cap hit of a pick 15 player?  Pretty high, all things considered?  If Ballard doesn't seriously go for Sneed, a proven player, because of price; do you think he will spend a good capital draft pick and the salary cap implications for a player that is NOT proven?   I think corner is just too high of a price at 15, IMO.

I think its EDGE, WR, or TE (Bowers), and then try to trade the guy pick 15 will be replacing...maybe some sort of package.  JMO.  But maybe I'm over thinking this.

https://overthecap.com/draft

about 3.4 million for the Colts.  Sneed wants about $22 per year per reports.  Huge difference.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

On the question. AP is not good enough to make you take him into consideration about whether to pick a player at his spot or not in the 1st. If you think one of those guys is good enough to be a top receiver for you, you pick him and figure out what to do with AP later. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes both are WRs. 

Mitchell is prototypical X receiver with a lot of speed. He's tall, big, explosive, fast... ran 4.34 40 at 6'2 205lbs. 

Worthy is the guy that beat the all time 40 record at the combine - 4.21... He's more of a Z/slot type... has shiftiness and YAC ability in addition to ability to go deep. He's small though... 5'8 166 or whatever....

Brian Thomas is probably the best of them... IMO he can line up pretty much everywhere. He's somewhat overlooked because he played with Malik Nabers but Thomas was really productive too... had 17TDs and about 1200 yards receiving this last season. He's big 6'3" 210 and ran 4.33 too.. He was probably the best deep threat receiver in college last year. 

Big and fast like AP, but nothing tells me they will separate or have superior route running.  Just going by what folks criticize AP for not having.  I think that is important to know for any WR prospect.

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

On the question. AP is not good enough to make you take him into consideration about whether to pick a player at his spot or not in the 1st. If you think one of those guys is good enough to be a top receiver for you, you pick him and figure out what to do with AP later. 

Agreed.  I would also say the same thing about Paye, and any of our TEs.  Flip Paye to the other side and treat Ebukam as a stop gap.  If we pick Bowers, just drop everybody else down one notch on the depth chart and then figure out what to do with the Granson/Mallory redundancy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Big and fast like AP, but nothing tells me they will separate or have superior route running.  Just going by what folks criticize AP for not having.  I think that is important to know for any WR prospect.

Both Thomas and Mitchell are better separators than AP IMO and have better and more expansive, even if still unpolished, route tree. Mitchell has some really nice ball skills too... 

• Like 1