Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If AR was coming into the draft this year where would he rank against the other QBs?

WalterFootball does this for all positions in his position review,  An interesting read.   Agree or not, but opinion is here:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024positionreviewQB.php

The results of 2023/2024 combined:

Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Anthony Richardson
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker
Michael Penix Jr.
Spencer Rattler
Joe Milton

• Like 2

If it’s the same AR as he was a year ago.  Less than 1000 snaps in college?   I think he’d be behind the top 3 and maybe the top 4, including Harbaugh.  

So he’d be 4th or 5th.    People are evaluating him based on what he did in 23.    Some in this thread are comparing 23 AR against others.   They should be using 22 AR.   That was what was asked.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would think 2nd or 3d QB off the board.  Of course it's hard to guess because of him not playing in college last year 

Really good to see you! Hope you’re well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If it’s the same AR as he was a year ago.  Less than 1000 snaps in college?   I think he’d be behind the top 3 and maybe the top 4, including Harbaugh.  

So he’d be 4th or 5th.    People are evaluating him based on what he did in 23.    Some in this thread are comparing 23 AR against others.   They should be using 22 AR.   That was what was asked.  

Yeah I think right in that spot or just a few spots later would make most sense. Lack of experience, but immense physical talent, a big heart, pocket awareness capabilities. 

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

WalterFootball does this for all positions in his position review,  An interesting read.   Agree or not, but opinion is here:

Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Anthony Richardson
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker
Michael Penix Jr.
Spencer Rattler
Joe Milton

That list looks pretty fair to me. 

• Like 1

With still few games in college compared to Caleb Williams resume I would think definitely behind him. I think Drake Maybe would be ahead of him too. 

So I would say 3rd because of my lack of knowledge on the QB from LSU....???

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Anthony Richardson
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker
Michael Penix Jr.
Spencer Rattler
Joe Milton

This is a fair list outside of Maye and Penix

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

And Bryce Young

Would be curious how the young vs daniels debate would go. But if you drop maye, young is within 1 spot of where he would be

39 minutes ago, wig said:

Would be curious how the young vs daniels debate would go. But if you drop maye, young is within 1 spot of where he would be

Young is 5'10.  Daniels is 6'4

If I had to guess, he'd probably be sandwiched in between the big 3 and the second tier like McCarthy, Penix, Nix. 

Without the benefit of hindsight, I think Young, Stroud and AR all would have been after Williams, Maye and Daniels. 

On 4/3/2024 at 6:09 PM, DougDew said:

Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Anthony Richardson
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker
Michael Penix Jr.
Spencer Rattler
Joe Milton

Didn't see this before I responded, but that's exactly how I would have had it, at least up until Hooker. I would put Penix either before Levis or after him. He's a better prospect than Hooker for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wig said:

This is a fair list outside of Maye and Penix

You mean Maye being first on the list, or before last year's draft class? I don't see anybody from last year getting chosen over him personally. Of course now, it's easy to say Stroud would be. 

On 4/3/2024 at 2:52 PM, mirobi48 said:

I think 1st

Stronger and faster and bigger arm than CW

It really depends on what he did this year if he would have stayed in college. If he would have improved  on his stats, his teams record and showed more promise, I am sure he would have been drafted 1st overall and would have been seen as Cam Newton #2. Now if he regressed from last year, he could have dropped all the way to the 3rd round.

On 4/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, DougDew said:

Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Jayden Daniels
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Anthony Richardson
J.J. McCarthy
Bo Nix
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker
Michael Penix Jr.
Spencer Rattler
Joe Milton

This qb group was hyped before the college season as one of the best. However, the dust has settled and I think there isnt a qb that grades out over 75. Williams was suppose to be generational and he doesn't come close to meeting that label. If I  was a GM and had the coaching staff that could support a raw talent, I am taking Maye all the way. He kind of reminds me of Josh Allen and Richardson.  He has the highest ceiling but will need some coaching. I am not  a fan of Williams what so ever and he screams bust to me. The other qbs, I wouldn't ever grade as a 70. Iam sure that some of them will succeed with coaching. Could see Minnesota and Denver grabbing some of these guys and making them legit because of the coaching staff. I think if they go to Washington, Bears and Patriots, they will crap out.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It really depends on what he did this year if he would have stayed in college. If he would have improved  on his stats, his teams record and showed more promise, I am sure he would have been drafted 1st overall and would have been seen as Cam Newton #2. Now if he regressed from last year, he could have dropped all the way to the 3rd round.

I fully admit I was part of the camp last offseason that was concerned with how young and inexperienced he was. To the point I thought he had possibly made a mistake by declaring early and not staying for another year or at least entering the transfer portal. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I fully admit I was part of the camp last offseason that was concerned with how young and inexperienced he was. To the point I thought he had possibly made a mistake by declaring early and not staying for another year or at least entering the transfer portal. 

The thing that impressed me about Richardson is that he wants to be a qb fist and not the second coming of Cam Newton. You could see  it when he stood in the pocket. He didn't look fidgety, but it appeared like he was going through his reads. Lots to like, but injuries are the only concern I have about him moving forward.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The thing that impressed me about Richardson is that he wants to be a qb fist and not the second coming of Cam Newton. You could see  it when he stood in the pocket. He didn't look fidgety, but it appeared like he was going through his reads. Lots to like, but injuries are the only concern I have about him moving forward.

100% agreed. I was shocked at his pocket awareness during training camp last year. He certainly looked like he belonged on the field. Yes, here’s to Anthony’s physical and mental health. May our QB have many positive years ahead of him.

• Thanks 1

Not being a Homer or biased but I would take AR over Williams. AR comes off to me as more dual for one but the main thing that sticks out to me is that his maturity and leadership is far beyond Williams is.

IMO, I think Michael Penix Jr is the best QB in this draft class. He ran a pro-style offense with Washington, he beat every great team that was in front of him with the exception of Michigan and is very mature with leadership. Penix went up against teams like Oregon twice, USC with Williams, and Utah - he beat them all.

• Like 1

If a team takes McCarthy over Penix Jr that will be something I will mock all season homer simpson laughing GIF- based on 1 game where Michigan won because they ran the ball with a 320 pound O.Line to control the game. McCarthy = Mac Jones. Put Penix on Michigan and that Michigan team would be one the greatest teams ever. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not being a Homer or biased but I would take AR over Williams. AR comes off to me as more dual for one but the main thing that sticks out to me is that his maturity and leadership is far beyond Williams is.

IMO, I think Michael Penix Jr is the best QB in this draft class. He ran a pro-style offense with Washington, he beat every great team that was in front of him with the exception of Michigan and is very mature with leadership. Penix went up against teams like Oregon twice, USC with Williams, and Utah - he beat them all.

It is funny, but  I was listening to Lombari's podcast which draws a lot of  negative reviews on this board lol.  He actually talked about how most of these top qbs were transfers. They transferred and  then went on to have great years with their new teams. He said that he would dive into their careers before they transferred as all of these guys were very average when they played with their previous teams. It could be that they had horrible coaching but it is interesting to note.  I am really not high on this group at all. I would go with Maye if I really had a high pick.  I 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 2:52 PM, mirobi48 said:

I think 1st

Stronger and faster and bigger arm than CW

If Richardson would have improved on his play, he would have been the number 1 pick. I think Williams has been hyped a lot before the beginning of the college season. I think the generational label has worn off as there are a lof of questions about him going forward.

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

You mean Maye being first on the list, or before last year's draft class? I don't see anybody from last year getting chosen over him personally. Of course now, it's easy to say Stroud would be. 

I'm saying that if you were to take what we knew about last year's class a year ago and this year's today, that the list is close outside of Maye 

48 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is funny, but  I was listening to Lombari's podcast which draws a lot of  negative reviews on this board lol.  He actually talked about how most of these top qbs were transfers. They transferred and  then went on to have great years with their new teams. He said that he would dive into their careers before they transferred as all of these guys were very average when they played with their previous teams. It could be that they had horrible coaching but it is interesting to note.  I am really not high on this group at all. I would go with Maye if I really had a high pick.  I 

Howdy Moose. Just going by eyesight, watching how many good teams that QBs have beat by passing alone, and watching how QBs throw and run overall, I think Penix Jr is the best. I am blocking out the hype regarding the others. Daniels to me is 2nd - he reminds me of Lamar Jackson, and between Williams and Maye it would be a tossup. McCarthy is by far the worse out of the bunch. He is Mac Jones basically. I like Bo Nix better than McCarthy. Some get caught up on QBs that win a college Championship, that is where they make a mistake. If you put McCarthy in the right setting like on a playoff team, sure he could be good like on the Browns for example because they have a good O.Line, good RBs, and a great D. Vikings need a QB and if they take McCarthy, I will be steamed because that was my dad's team when he was alive and a team I have always liked. Even with Jefferson there, the Vikings will not finish above .500 with McCarthy. Vikings fans were almost always in the playoffs with Kirk, they are getting ready to learn how life without Kirk will be, especially if they take McCarthy. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Howdy Moose. Just going by eyesight, watching how many good teams that QBs have beat by passing alone, and watching how QBs throw and run overall, I think Penix Jr is the best. I am blocking out the hype regarding the others. Daniels to me is 2nd - he reminds me of Lamar Jackson, and between Williams and Maye it would be a tossup. McCarthy is by far the worse out of the bunch. He is Mac Jones basically. I like Bo Nix better than McCarthy. Some get caught up on QBs that win a college Championship, that is where they make a mistake. If you put McCarthy in the right setting like on a playoff team, sure he could be good like on the Browns for example because they have a good O.Line, good RBs, and a great D. Vikings need a QB and if they take McCarthy, I will be steamed because that was my dad's team when he was alive and a team I have always liked. Even with Jefferson there, the Vikings will not finish above .500 with McCarthy. Vikings fans were almost always in the playoffs with Kirk, they are getting ready to learn how life without Kirk will be, especially if they take McCarthy. 

I think with all of these guys it really depends on where they end up. I think they all have different skill sets and very different in what they can do at the qb position.  Harbaugh has come out and said McCarthy is the best qb in the draft. I dont think he is just blowing smoke.

I have a small group of friends that I hang out with or talk too. 2 of them are diehard Bears fans. Both want Daniels. They want no part of Williams. The media is so powerful though and puts pressure on teams to take a certain guy. Bears will take Williams. Good luck I guess.

If I was the Bears, I would have kept Fields and drafted Marvin. Fields hasn't had a good career but now has experience and looked good at times last year. I could have seen him and the Bears winning 10 games in 2024 with Fields and Marvin.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched him in the national championship game. Yes, Michigan was a tough opponent but i thought he was actually pretty average. He missed a lot of throws and didn't appear that he played well when the pressure came. Just my take but I didn't like Stroud coming out lol.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I dont like WIlliams at all. I think he is going to be a bust. Everything about him screams bust. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 1:40 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a small group of friends that I hang out with or talk too. 2 of them are diehard Bears fans. Both want Daniels. They want no part of Williams. The media is so powerful though and puts pressure on teams to take a certain guy. Bears will take Williams. Good luck I guess.

If I was the Bears, I would have kept Fields and drafted Marvin. Fields hasn't had a good career but now has experience and looked good at times last year. I could have seen him and the Bears winning 10 games in 2024 with Fields and Marvin.

Who would you list as your top QB prospect for this draft? Daniels certainly wowed a lot of people this year, but he was also doing a lot of pitch and catch plays with superstar talented WRs. Maye had down year due to the decrease in surrounding talent… I feel like Daniels might be the true top QB, but this is a very hard class to read. 

I missed this thread completely.

Richardson would be 5th in this years draft IMO. He'd be behind Williams, Daniels, Maye and McCarthy, and ahead of Penix and Nix. McCarthy has a lot more traction than a lot of people here are giving him credit for. He could go as high as no2 to the Commanders. Both them and the Pats have heavy interest in him. 

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I missed this thread completely.

Richardson would be 5th in this years draft IMO. He'd be behind Williams, Daniels, Maye and McCarthy, and ahead of Penix and Nix. McCarthy has a lot more traction than a lot of people here are giving him credit for. He could go as high as no2 to the Commanders. Both them and the Pats have heavy interest in him. 

This is for @RollerColttoo:

Because of the McCarthy hype you are probably right but I would take AR over McCarthy without blinking an eye. Michael Penix Jr is the best QB in this draft but because of his injury history he has no chance of going 1st. Bears will take Williams, but I am not sold on him. They have pressure to do so because if he goes somewhere else and is great, the Bears will look like fools. 

• Like 1

I might be the wrong person to ask since I had AR higher than pretty much anybody around... and he hasn't done anything (besides getting injured) to dissuade me from my evaluation at the time. If I had to stack them I'd probably go with...

1. Caleb Williams

2. Drake Maye

3. Anthony Richardson

4. CJ Stroud

5. Jayden Daniels

6. Will Levis

7. Bryce Young

8. JJ McCarthy

I don't exactly remember if I had Bryce above or below Levis, but I had them close. 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

I might be the wrong person to ask since I had AR higher than pretty much anybody around... and he hasn't done anything (besides getting injured) to dissuade me from my evaluation at the time. If I had to stack them I'd probably go with...

1. Caleb Williams

2. Drake Maye

3. Anthony Richardson

4. CJ Stroud

5. Jayden Daniels

6. Will Levis

7. Bryce Young

8. JJ McCarthy

I don't exactly remember if I had Bryce above or below Levis, but I had them close. 

If I was GM I would take, Last 2 years combined:

1. Stroud - have to give him the nod over AR but that could change.

2. AR

3. Penix Jr

4. Daniels

5. Williams

-you could flip a coin between Williams and Maye. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was GM I would take, Last 2 years combined:

1. Stroud - have to give him the nod over AR but that could change.

2. AR

3. Penix Jr

4. Daniels

5. Williams

Is your ranking influenced by the year Stroud had or were you this high on him before? Because if I had to re-rank him based on what he's already shown I would put him no. 1 too. 

Also... any particular reason you are this low on Caleb?