Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Drafting rookies does not immediately improve the team. Adding more rookies to unproven guys will eventually have Ballard fired after the season.

what part of my post said anything about rookies? I said it would be addressed. That could come in the form of the first few rounds of the draft- see Witherspoon from Seattle. I guess he didn’t immediately improve the secondary huh? I guess downs didn’t have an immediately impact on the offense last season huh?

What I referred to was adding to the secondary. We added Gilmore in April two years ago. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

because Nashville > Indianapolis…

Players don’t only factor the city they are going to. If that were the case why isn’t everyone signing with Miami or Tampa Bay? 

39 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

90% of the forum liked the Buckner trade at that time. We were getting an elite player to help the team, and that was a 1st rounder we were giving up in addition to paying him immediately. This is a 3rd round pick essentially we would be giving up in addition to paying him. Again, the guaranteed money is nothing. Yes, he has injury concerns. Who cares. He's as close to a guarantee as you can get for a 3rd round pick. 

The only competition for Sneed was the Titans. If the Chiefs kept him and Sneed said he'd rather stay, it'd be different. That wasn't the case though. He went to an inferior team in the Titans. I'm pretty sure he would come here if given the opportunity. 

ballard likes his draft picks at cb he thinks he picked some good ones who will develop

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

Again, it doesn't help when you don't improve the team and just throw Richardson in there with a bad secondary. 

what does the secondary have to do with Anthony Richardson? I’m more concerned about how they improve the pass catchers on the roster/o-line depth for his sake. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t even care about the rest this year. I have no unrest in watching rookies struggle again because the second year guys get injured or don’t take a leap. 

Dear God… :facepalm:

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

what does the secondary have to do with Anthony Richardson? I’m more concerned about how they improve the pass catchers on the roster/o-line depth for his sake. 

It forces AR to be perfect and have to score more every game because the secondary is allowing more points. It's a fact that the Colts allow QBs to carve us up most games. Especially dual-threat QBs, which are becoming more common every year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Good thing the Texans don't follow your rules for team building in last years draft. 

Texans had a high draft pick from the year before they took stroud in 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Richardson is coming off a season of injury. He had to play smarter. You think asking him to be Superman is going to help him reduce the injury risk?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I hear what you're saying. You may be right and I read that all the time. The Devil's Advocate in me wants to question everything. I would love to see/read something examining that. Greenard signed with the Vikings and not the Texans. Perhaps the Texans did not want him back but who knows. It would be good to see who were the first people who were reported to have signed last Monday. One of the guys Ballard did not re-sign last year, Okereke, went to New York/New Jersey, which have some of the highest taxes around.

Ultimately it depends on what teams are trying to acquire your services, at that point the player can look at options and determine if he gets more money with no state taxes for this team, than that team(more money is more money). Plus role on the team, proximity to home and family, etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does depending on a guy who has injury history clear back to college and a guy with a torn Achilles sound smart to you?

Apparently you don’t know that Brents “injury history” those were his freshman and sophomore years.   But once he transferred to Kansas State he started every game for two seasons.   I think the number was 27 games over two years.   

I believe the injury he sustained his senior year came in the off-season workout and run up toward the draft.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apparently you don’t know that Brents “injury history” those were his freshman and sophomore years.   But once he transferred to Kansas State he started every game for two seasons.   I think the number was 27 games over two years.   

I believe the injury he sustained his senior year came in the off-season workout and run up toward the draft.   

I find it funny that some concerned about Brents injury history attack people if they dare to question if AR is anything other than the next great QB because of his injury past.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I find it funny that some concerned about Brents injury history attack people if they dare to question if AR is anything other than the next great QB because of his injury past.  

Simple. “Rules for thee but not for me!”

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm saying the only fact we know is that we won 9 games last year with Minshew as the starting QB (Richardson technically was credited with 2 wins, but he didn't finish the games). Anything with AR is assumption right now. Again, it doesn't help when you don't improve the team and just throw Richardson in there with a bad secondary. 

The odds of making the SB are very low. You have to look at possibility Vs probability. It's possible we make the SB or win it. It's also possible I can hit a jackpot on a slot machine. The probability is very low, and that probability stays low when we don't trade for guys like Sneed when getting the chance to do so. Realistically, we are probably the 8th-10th best team in the AFC. Right on the outside of playoff contention. Probably the 2nd-3rd best team in the division. That's not good enough. It's an insult to AR that Ballard says he's the best player in the draft last year, and won't build an elite team around him. Get Sneed, and maybe AR won't have to score 30 points a game to win.

Theres a lot of unknown factor with our team and as far as probability goes CBs don't move the needle, I bet if you look at the vegas line for the Titans it didn't move with the Sneed trade. 

Yes the probability is low of a SB run, but its not impossible. It's all perspective aka "glass half full or glass half empty." 

Honestly this team has great depth, while I personally would like a new WR. Pierce is a good Deep threat that was underutilized, and while it would nice to have a new CB, Flowers, and Jones competing for the other starting CB spot isn't terrible. Although before everyone freaks out, it's still free agency with good secondary players available and the draft has great options, so this isn't the final roster that will be playing on Sunday in september 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm just happy to see you post something different than the usual... I thought you were a bot for a moment.

Be careful — I can go back to posting Ballard’s record at any minute. Ha ha 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Alright, with FA slowing down, figure it's a good time to look at biggest needs and available options more in depth, either via draft or FA. Was going to post in discussion thread, but that discussion has moved elsewhere.

I think Cross is probably locked in as SS starter.

Thomas we've seen plenty of, more downs than ups. Scott was on IR all last year, but Ballard has spoken very highly of him.

Still some good options available:

FA:

Simmons

Diggs

Jackson

Walker 

Maye

Draft:

Nubin(late 1st- way 2nd)

Bullard(2nd)

Hicks(2nd)(more of SS)

Kitchens(2nd-3rd)

Bullock(2nd-3rd)

Taylor-Demerson(3rd)

This next one, I don't feel is as big of a need as a lot of people around here, CB. However, if we can acquire a guy that potentially makes Jones and Flowers the CB 4+5, the team will be stronger for it. Will list a few FA options, but moving on from Sneed, I think we address it with a CB in the draft.

Remaining options:

FA:

Howard

Jackson

Gilmore

Maddox

Nelson

Witherspoon

Draft:

Mitchell(1st)

Arnold(1st)

Wiggins(1st)

Kool-Aid(1st)

Dejean(1st)

Rakestraw( 2nd)

Tampa(2nd)

Sainristil(2nd)

Lassiter(2nd)

Jackson (2nd-3rd)

I think Pierce is fine, but we could definitely use a 4th guy that can produce. Not likely we bring in a FA option, will list a couple, but more than likely going to be a draft pick.

Options:

Gallup

Watkins 

Reynolds

Draft:

BTJ(1st)

Mitchell(1st)

Mcconkey(late 1st)

Worthy(1st)

Franklin (2nd)

Wilson(2nd)

Pearsall(2nd)

Burton(2nd-3rd)

Really would love to trade down to #25 with GB and pick up #41 in the process. We might have to throw in our 3rd/ or 2025 3rd(preferably) to make it closer on the trade chart.

That would allow the Colts to fill 3 big spots with top 50 prospects.

CB

S

WR

If we could come away with

S - Nubin

CB - Tampa

WR - Franklin

Or really any top 50 combination I listed above, would be nice.

How would you approach this?

I brought this over from my salary cap thread.

What does everyone think of the remaining options and what course would you attack it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson is coming off a season of injury. He had to play smarter. You think asking him to be Superman is going to help him reduce the injury risk?

I don't think anything changes with what he's asked of. Protect himself better, make plays, score points. It's not a hard concept. If our offense can run the ball well with #5 and 28, and Richardson can deliver the ball and make plays with his arm, the defense won't be asked as much either. It can go both ways. Except this time, we add back in our starting corner (and yes, he's coming off an achilles tear- i understand the concern as I am as well), have several young guys in the secondary with another offseason to develop, possibly add a stud in the draft that CAN be an immediate playmaker, plenty of time to add a vet or two... 

I think you are over-reacting big time. But no one here is surprised by that.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What is "doing nothing"? If he did not sign anyone, that is doing nothing. Not signing who you want is not necessarily doing nothing.

I find that fans like to have something new. The draft is coming and there will be lots of new players. I hope they are the ones Colts fans want.

And take for granted what they do have.  I get it would be nice if Grover was a pass rusher as well as run stopper but all I heard last year when he was out was oh my God they have to keep Grover look at how bad the run defense is without him (which it was they gave one more ypc while he was out).  Then Ballard signs him and fans are initially very happy (see the number of likes the post got announcing he was staying.  Then fans realize Ballard used his money to keep his own and it turned into what was he thinking keeping Grover?  He should have gotten a pass rushing DT!  Grover can’t do that he stinks.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

What does everyone think of the remaining options and what course would you attack it.

I am watching Ballard in free agency for a vet safety.  I think he’s going to draft a corner in found one or two to grow with his young corners from last year.  Just the sense I get.  I could be wrong we shall see.

• Like 1

I would just get Blackmon back at this point. Maybe go after Ahkello Witherspoon at CB and call it a day in FA. That'll give us a good secondary heading into the draft and keep our options open.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Never said that your post said "hey the Colts are going to sign Simmons."  But whatever... you're just too intelligent for me to follow , so I'll give it up.

Your first post was they aren’t signing Simmons which clearly shows that what you took from my post which wasn’t my point at all.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I am watching Ballard in free agency for a vet safety.  I think he’s going to draft a corner in found one or two to grow with his young corners from last year.  Just the sense I get.  I could be wrong we shall see.

Yeah, I think we bring in a vet Safety as well. Just a matter of time.

CB definitely seeming more like the round 1 pick if we stay at #15. Should probably be BPA.

Building through the draft is fine. 

If you can do it. 

Too many of Ballard’s day 1 and 2 picks are just absolute bombs. Theres some hits, lots of JAGs, and waaaay too many guys who don’t even become JAGs. The bad outweighs the good when it comes to Ballard in the first 3 rounds. 

He may be the best GM in the draft on day 3, but days 1 and 2 are suspect at best. 

His method of drafting guys with lime green RAS bars has produced mediocre results. 

We’ve seen what he can build through the draft. A team that sinks multiple picks in the first two days of the draft in the same room and STILL needs to do it again the next year because the need has not been filled. Now that list of rooms is growing

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

CB definitely seeming more like the round 1 pick if we stay at #15. Should probably be BPA.

Yeah that’s there I think they are going and it’s what Holder strongly hinted at if you believe him.

• Like 1

Any vet FS who will sign will be an upgrade.  If we stay at 15 Arnold.  If we trade back Dejean.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Xavier Howard

When he goes to the Texans, that will cause the next melt down.

I know he has talked about not minding going home. But Texans have already added (3) FA CBs this off-season. So not sure it will line up.

I do think we are hoping Simmons price will come down in next few weeks.

Said it before  and I'll say it again. There is a supply and demand problem for quality safeties. The demand is low and supplies are high. Numerous solid veteran options.

29 safeties have been signed so far.

29 safeties left on the market 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

I know he has talked about not minding going home. But Texans have already added (3) FA CBs this off-season. So not sure it will line up.

Said it before  and I'll say it again. There is a supply and demand problem for quality safeties. The demand is low and supplies are high. Numerous solid veteran options.

Let’s be honest any corner signing with any team but the Colts is going to cause the next meltdown.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Please Lord no more young corners that probably won’t even pan out. This team needs a proven guy at corner to help out the young corners. Indy needs explosion in the passing game and you can’t trust on Pierce as a #2 WR. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s there I think they are going and it’s what Holder strongly hinted at if you believe him.

Lol, I don't even listen to him, tbh. 

I'm just looking at the roster, players that are available and making my own conclusions.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah normally if you don’t get snatched up in the first week of free agency it means you are asking too much so in addition to teams recalibrating what they need vs whose left players and agents have to recalibrate what they are asking for and that can take time.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Please Lord no more young corners that probably won’t even pan out. This team needs a proven guy at corner to help out the young corners. Indy needs explosion in the passing game and you can’t trust on Pierce as a #2 WR. 

I fully believe that’s what you want.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Your first post was they aren’t signing Simmons which clearly shows that what you took from my post which wasn’t my point at all.  

I already admitted you were smarter than me , what more do you want ? I really didn't think your post was all that informative or funny. I basically read it quickly and saw Simmons mentioned and decided to comment that it won't happen. BTW.. the Colts could afford him by SIMPLY setting his first year salary low and extending probably just one player. Also have the MAC contract and won't have 8 mill in dead cap like we did this year. I'll try to get some help reading and understanding you post so you won't be posting how I'm missing the point . 

• Like 1