Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like Belichick won’t get hired…

NewColtsFan

Only two openings left, Washington and Seattle, and Belichick has reportedly not interviewed with either.  

Stories I’m reading say Belichick could join media and try again a year from now.   The prediction is NFL Network.  

After a flurry of "rumors" linking Bill Belichick to the Washington Commanders - even before he & the Patriots parted ways - the Commanders released a statement indicating that they would NOT be interviewing BB for their open head coaching position.

As for as the Seahawks - they just bumped their 72 year old coach to the front office as a consultant.  WHY would they consider a DIFFERENT 72 year old coach for their open position?

As a fan of the Miami Dolphins - AND - a friend of Head Coach Don Shula - I've been doing the "happy happy joy joy" dance for the past 24+ hours - knowing that Coach's record & legacy are safe.

38 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

After a flurry of "rumors" linking Bill Belichick to the Washington Commanders - even before he & the Patriots parted ways - the Commanders released a statement indicating that they would NOT be interviewing BB for their open head coaching position.

As for as the Seahawks - they just bumped their 72 year old coach to the front office as a consultant.  WHY would they consider a DIFFERENT 72 year old coach for their open position?

As a fan of the Miami Dolphins - AND - a friend of Head Coach Don Shula - I've been doing the "happy happy joy joy" dance for the past 24+ hours - knowing that Coach's record & legacy are safe.

As a life long Colt fan of the colts, even when in Baltimore, I despised Shula leaving the colts and then had to face him twice a year. 

Though the dolphins won lots of games, it was very enjoyable when they steadily failed in the playoffs after '73. 

The colts didn't give much enjoyment in those days, so us colt fans had to find enjoyment wherever we could. :funny:

• Like 1

B.B. record without Brady is quite alarming at 82-98 for a 46.3%, really dont see him landing anywhere and pointed it out before.

9 season with only 2 playoff appearances and ZERO wins. That doesnt cut it in the NFL,bottom line is wins and he simply doesnt get many.

Well, he has only two options, commanders or Seahawks, and with neither having contacted him I doubt he will be coaching in the league this year. He definitely will not take any position lower than head coach. 

however, what if a team hired him as say the GM or some other front office position? That could be a possibility IMO.

31 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Well, he has only two options, commanders or Seahawks, and with neither having contacted him I doubt he will be coaching in the league this year. He definitely will not take any position lower than head coach. 

however, what if a team hired him as say the GM or some other front office position? That could be a possibility IMO.

Nah he’ll make more in TV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I couldn’t stomach listening to him for more than one minute.

I would listen.   Great football mind.   I just hope they don't put him on one of those miniature football fields and ask him to run plays.   Real dumb idea some producers nerds came up with

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would listen.   Great football mind.   I just hope they don't put him on one of those miniature football fields and ask him to run plays.   Real dumb idea some producers nerds came up with

His monotonous low key unenthusiastic monotone voice will put me to sleep.  I can’t see him being entertaining at all.  Maybe we’ll get to find out.  Sean Payton was entertaining.  I have my doubts with Bellichick. 

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

His monotonous low key unenthusiastic monotone voice will put me to sleep.  I can’t see him being entertaining at all.  Maybe we’ll get to find out.  Sean Payton was entertaining.  I have my doubts with Bellichick. 

The Belichick who has already done football for the NFL Network is nothing like the Belichick who does his weekly press conferences in his boating monotone. 

He can be charming when he wants to be. 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Have you not seen Belichick on TV as chief guest? He was smiling, laughing, truly jovial and enjoying the moment, and was even sharing some interesting tidbits on their Patriots, and Tom Brady was also in that panel discussion.

His demeanor as a coach is totally different thing, and people don't stay like that outside work environment always. 

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He only talks to the media that way.   That isn't how he talks in normal conversations 

From what I get from media former players is BB wants to bring his own boys (coaches) or staff as he and he alone sees fit. I can't see him doing it any other way. People say he could not have succeeded without Brady. Would Andy Ried succeed without Mahomes? How about Baltimore without Jackson or the Colts without Luck?

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He only talks to the media that way.   That isn't how he talks in normal conversations 

I have a few questions…

1. Has he mentioned wanting to still be a coach in the NFL?

2. Has he mentioned what team he would want to coach for?

3. Has he considered taking some time off to relax, spend time with his family, spend his millions?

4. Vacation(party!) with Tom and Gronk?

5. Do State Farm commercials with Mahomies?

6. Which team has expressed a great interest to sign him?

Okay, my questioning was more than a few.

I’ve learned to like the guy and I look forward to seeing hangin’ out with retired coaches and having a good time.

Ooo, one more question… has he predicted a SB winner?

7 minutes ago, Mighty Blue said:

I have a few questions…

3. Has he considered taking some time off to relax, spend time with his family, spend his millions?

I’ve learned to like the guy and I look forward to seeing hangin’ out with retired coaches and having a good time.

He is just waiting for the Dallas job, that will be his next year when they go 1 and done again Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

58 minutes ago, King Colt said:

From what I get from media former players is BB wants to bring his own boys (coaches) or staff as he and he alone sees fit. I can't see him doing it any other way. People say he could not have succeeded without Brady. Would Andy Ried succeed without Mahomes? How about Baltimore without Jackson or the Colts without Luck?

Great post/

Yes Reid would and did succeed without Mahomes, 9 playoffs in 14 years with Eagles including going to Super Bowl'

Yes Harbaugh without Jackson won a Super Bowl and had 5 other Playoff appearances

So you reinforced what the media said as B.B. without Brady zero playoff wins, losing overall record. B.B. just isnt good enough, no conspiracy, you have to win and he has not with Brady.

5 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

I have a few questions…

“Has he mentioned wanting to still be a coach in the NFL” ???

Huh? 

Belichick interviewed for multiple jobs.  Doesn’t that answer your question? 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Has he mentioned wanting to still be a coach in the NFL” ???

Huh? 

Belichick interviewed for multiple jobs.  Doesn’t that answer your question? 

“Looks like Belichick won’t get hired…”

Is this true?

What is the latest team  interviewing  him?

Has he had second interviews with the those teams?

Harbaugh has gone back and forth with the NFL and with a Collegiate path with Michigan.

I should have added, Collegiate, right*???

If this Post is true, he could be an excellent College coach. 

I’ll wait for your answer.

1 minute ago, Mighty Blue said:

“Looks like Belichick won’t get hired…”

Is this true?

What is the latest team  interviewing  him?

Has he had second interviews with the those teams?

Harbaugh has gone back and forth with the NFL and with a Collegiate path with Michigan.

I should have added, Collegiate, right*???

If this Post is true, he could be an excellent College coach. 

I’ll wait for your answer.

Belichick was thought to be the front runner for the Atlanta job.  Had interviewed with them twice.   Then the Falcons surprised everyone hiring the Rams young DC.  

I believe BB had interviews with Vegas before they hired Pierce and the Chargers before they hired Harbaugh.  If BB has had other interviews (possible) then I’m not aware. 

I don’t know if BB is still interviewing for jobs?   

I’ve never heard Belichick ever being interested in coaching at the college level.  Hard to see him recruiting and dealing with kids who are 17-22 when most won’t play in the NFL.  

If Belichick isn’t hired, most see him going into broadcast media for a year and he’d try to coach again in 2035.   He’s already done good work for the NFL Network, and ESPN is the other obvious possibility. 

Hope I answered your questions.  I’m here if I didn’t. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Belichick was thought to be the front runner for the Atlanta job.  Had interviewed with them twice.   Then the Falcons surprised everyone hiring the Rams young DC.  

I believe BB had interviews with Vegas before they hired Pierce and the Chargers before they hired Harbaugh.  If BB has had other interviews (possible) then I’m not aware. 

I don’t know if BB is still interviewing for jobs?   

I’ve never heard Belichick ever being interested in coaching at the college level.  Hard to see him recruiting and dealing with kids who are 17-22 when most won’t play in the NFL.  

If Belichick isn’t hired, most see him going into broadcast media for a year and he’d try to coach again in 2035.   He’s already done good work for the NFL Network, and ESPN is the other obvious possibility. 

Hope I answered your questions.  I’m here if I didn’t. 

Yes, you did. Now, I am up to date:thmup:

• Thanks 1

Vrabel needs the right kind of team, I think he would be good with the Ravens but they dont him of course

Bill might be too old, i read on reddit that no coach has been hired at his age or over.  Could be wrong but I saw that on there

On 1/27/2024 at 6:45 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The Belichick who has already done football for the NFL Network is nothing like the Belichick who does his weekly press conferences in his boating monotone. 

He can be charming when he wants to be. 

Yes, charming is what counts in sports broadcasting like Howard Cosell.:funny:

On 1/28/2024 at 3:28 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Great post/

Yes Reid would and did succeed without Mahomes, 9 playoffs in 14 years with Eagles including going to Super Bowl'

Yes Harbaugh without Jackson won a Super Bowl and had 5 other Playoff appearances

So you reinforced what the media said as B.B. without Brady zero playoff wins, losing overall record. B.B. just isnt good enough, no conspiracy, you have to win and he has not with Brady.

To be fair, Andy Reid had Donovan McNabb, far better than any non-Brady QB that Belichick had. When he had an OC that was somewhat competent in Josh McDaniels for year 1 of Mac Jones, they made the playoffs as a wild card, how quickly we forget.

Belichick, the GM was his undoing and a little bit for his protege Mike Vrabel too, where them wanting say in GM roles has cost them interviews and potentially jobs. Coaching wise, he is prepared for situations on D and special teams unlike any other. No coach, even Andy Reid, can't win with a QB worth nothing. Andy Reid had Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith, a tier below McNabb, but not far off as early first round prospects (both top 6 picks if I am right) to work with when he got to the playoffs without Mahomes.

It is a QB driven league now, even more so now. So, Belichick was making a turnaround with the Browns before Art Modell moved them to Baltimore but in that era, you could be less reliant on QB and make it work. Not in this era. We have to take in the whole picture and circumstances that they each worked with. Yes, Andy Reid betted on the offensive side of the ball as a coach, and the league gravitating towards making the offensive side of the ball more easier has definitely made Reid's side of the game more conducive long term versus Belichick's specialty, the defense. It is hard to buy defensive stars like the Denver Broncos did in 2015 unless you have a HOF QB to draw them to the team.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

To be fair, Andy Reid had Donovan McNabb, far better than any non-Brady QB that Belichick had. When he had an OC that was somewhat competent in Josh McDaniels for year 1 of Mac Jones, they made the playoffs as a wild card, how quickly we forget.

Belichick, the GM was his undoing and a little bit for his protege Mike Vrabel too, where them wanting say in GM roles has cost them interviews and potentially jobs. Coaching wise, he is prepared for situations on D and special teams unlike any other. No coach, even Andy Reid, can't win with a QB worth nothing. Andy Reid had Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith, a tier below McNabb, but not far off as early first round prospects (both top 6 picks if I am right) to work with when he got to the playoffs without Mahomes.

It is a QB driven league now, even more so now. So, Belichick was making a turnaround with the Browns before Art Modell moved them to Baltimore but in that era, you could be less reliant on QB and make it work. Not in this era. We have to take in the whole picture and circumstances that they each worked with. Yes, Andy Reid betted on the offensive side of the ball as a coach, and the league gravitating towards making the offensive side of the ball more easier has definitely made Reid's side of the game more conducive long term versus Belichick's specialty, the defense. It is hard to buy defensive stars like the Denver Broncos did in 2015 unless you have a HOF QB to draw them to the team.

Mac JonesPatriots18-24

Vinnie TestaverdeBrowns17-16

Bernie KosarBrowns11-18

Matt CasselPatriots10-5

Cam NewtonPatriots7-8

Drew BledsoePatriots5-13

Mike TomczakBrowns4-4

Bailey ZappePatriots4-4

Jimmy GaroppoloPatriots2-0

Mark RypienBrowns2-1

Todd PhilcoxBrowns2-3

Jacoby BrissettPatriots1-1

Eric ZeierBrowns1-3

Brian HoyerPatriots0-2

He couldnt even win with Bernie... numbers speak for themselves and the league has spoken. Not good enough.

24 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

He couldnt even win with Bernie... numbers speak for themselves and the league has spoken. Not good enough.

Bernie was so terrible towards the end of his career which is when both Belichick and Art Modell cut him towards the end of his career due to his diminished physical skills. It’s not just the QB name, it’s when you get them. Bernie got his ring with the Cowboys as a member of their 1993 squad.

What did Bledsoe do after the Patriots let him go? He had 1, maybe 2 good years like Post 49ers Joe Montana with Chiefs, and then faded away. 

Andy Reid got both McNabb and Alex Smith in their prime to play with. I still stand by my belief in Belichick’s coaching skills on the D and special teams side but the fact he was undone by his GM side which was the reason Brady bolted to the Bucs when he saw talent erosion on the offensive side and elsewhere with the Patriots. 

Regardless, it’s time he hangs it up and enjoys his life, he’s had enough good times.

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Bernie was so terrible towards the end of his career which is when both Belichick and Art Modell cut him towards the end of his career due to his diminished physical skills. It’s not just the QB name, it’s when you get them. Bernie got his ring with the Cowboys as a member of their 1993 squad.

What did Bledsoe do after the Patriots let him go? He had 1, maybe 2 good years like Post 49ers Joe Montana with Chiefs, and then faded away. 

Andy Reid got both McNabb and Alex Smith in their prime to play with. I still stand by my belief in Belichick’s coaching skills on the D and special teams side but the fact he was undone by his GM side which was the reason Brady bolted to the Bucs when he saw talent erosion on the offensive side and elsewhere with the Patriots. 

Regardless, it’s time he hangs it up and enjoys his life, he’s had enough good times.

I agree his GM skills were beyond awful but he had players to at least sniff .500 and he just could not do it.  I honestly cant think of another HC who had such a big disparity between when they had their star QB and didnt.  I truly interested if anyone can name another coach but again NFL took a look and sad no not good enough.

I could imagine Tony Romo and BB broadcasting together. Right after an interception occurs Romo would say to BB “wow i mean did he just not see the linebacker there? He must not have because that was a terrible decision and throw. What do you think BB?” to which BB would reply something like “we’re onto the next play”, “our focus is on the next play/series”.

Romo: Do you think they are going to run or pass here on 3rd and short?

BB: I’m not going to speculate.

lol haha