Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A lot of that is the secondary.  You can’t  get pressure if the secondary can’t cover. I am fine either way and I trust Steichen. 

QBs don’t use shorter time to throw against the Colts than anyone else. 

Week 2 Stroud had a TTT of 2.69. We had 28 total pressures. 

Week 18 Stroud had a TTT of 2.85. We had 12 total pressures. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We were one 4th and 1 play from winning the division. This one stings but time to move on. Can't wait to see AR in full mode with a healthy Taylor from the get-go.

I get what you’re saying, but to be fair we were one 4th & 1 from a new 1st down - still no guarantee we would’ve won. 

I’m SUPER excited to see AR next season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I get what you’re saying, but to be fair we were one 4th & 1 from a new 1st down - still no guarantee we would’ve won. 

I wonder if Goodson would have scored. He had some room.

That pass to downs to even give us a chance was a thing of beauty too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

True, I guess even we had scored, and Stroud had over a minute, they could have had 2 or 3 long passes and beat us on a last second FG. That would have even been worse especially if they nailed like a 60 yarder. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

True, I guess even we had scored, and Stroud had over a minute, they could have had 2 or 3 long passes and beat us on a last second FG. That would have even been worse especially if they nailed like a 60 yarder. 

Honestly, if only Gay had made that first FG we could've gotten to 25-23 with a FG in that 4th & 1 situation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It’s why Steichen was milking the clock. He didn’t want to give it back. The problem was he milked it too long. Milking it from the 15 is fine. But he was milking it even when we were at the 30.  It was a losing situation because he couldn’t give it back to them and therefore limited what he could do to try and get it in the end zone. He had to play it like we only needed a field goal but we needed a TD.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s why Steichen was milking the clock. He didn’t want to give it back. The problem was he milked it too long. Milking it from the 15 is fine. But he was milking it even when we were at the 30.  It was a losing situation because he couldn’t give it back to them and therefore limited what he could do to try and get it in the end zone. He had to play it like we only needed a field goal but we needed a TD.

It’s clearly why Steichen was eating up time. But he got too clever for his own good. No passes in the last series until fourth down. Against a D stacked to stop the run. By then it was do or die… and we know what happened. 

I have little doubt that Steichen has already replayed that final series 100 times in his mind. Painful as it was, he’ll learn from this. The Colts have the right guy in charge, and with a few key personnel moves, the sky is the limit. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the clock management was fine. We had the ball on the 15 with over a minute left, and three timeouts. We had plenty of time to score a TD.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the clock management was fine. We had the ball on the 15 with over a minute left, and three timeouts. We had plenty of time to score a TD.

People are bringing up the weirdest stuff only to find someone to blame/ways to blame Steichen. Steichen managed that drive beautifully and had a great call on 4th down. It's OK to blame professional players for not executing the simplest of plays. It doesn't mean they should retire and never play again... but lets be clear who the biggest culprit for that snafu was and we should stop inventing ways to blame the coach when he was probably the one that did his job the best that day... 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I had no problem with the clock management. The plays to me just seemed weird. The kind of things you do when all you need is a FG.  Even when we were back at the 30.  I just think there should have been a little more urgency to get another first down. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s unfortunate Minshew reverted back to that stretch were he was playing bad. Bailing out of clean pockets, under and over throwing his WRs and TEs. If he just played average Colts most likely win that game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I had no problem with the clock management. The plays to me just seemed weird. The kind of things you do when all you need is a FG.  Even when we were back at the 30.  I just think there should have been a little more urgency to get another first down. 

No, he just played it as if he wanted it to be the last possession of the game. And even JT going out of bounds gave Steichen a lot of flexibility with play calls, so I've been surprised to see people complaining about that also. 

We had plenty of time. Just needed another first down, and then I think we would have seen Houston start using their timeouts. And ultimately we know the goal was a TD and XP, hopefully with basically no time left. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

No, he just played it as if he wanted it to be the last possession of the game. And even JT going out of bounds gave Steichen a lot of flexibility with play calls, so I've been surprised to see people complaining about that also. 

We had plenty of time. Just needed another first down, and then I think we would have seen Houston start using their timeouts. And ultimately we know the goal was a TD and XP, hopefully with basically no time left. 

Yeah I missed understood a few pages ago when people were complaining about Taylor going out of bounds because I thought they were talking from a time perspective and I was like that didn’t hurt us but they meant they wanted Taylor to cut back up the field for more yards.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just seems we were limiting our plays and chances to get a TD.  It’s just  me. I get what he was doing. Didn’t want to give it back to them.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Personally I want Kenny back more than anyone else because he’s my favorite player and yes I know that might not make football sense, Pittman or Grover probably makes more sense in that regard but I am not talking from a football perspective here just pure fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know if anyone noticed but Downs quietly set the colts rookie receiving record. There has been some great WR in this organization too.

I heard this but that doesn’t seem accurate. Harrison had more so not sure where they got that. Maybe downs has some rushing stats from jet sweeps or something.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know if anyone noticed but Downs quietly set the colts rookie receiving record. There has been some great WR in this organization too.

We might have found ourselves our slot WR. Downs looks very solid. I still think we need a dynamic X receiver... or an explosive downfield threat. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

We might have found ourselves our slot WR. Downs looks very solid. I still think we need a dynamic X receiver... or an explosive downfield threat. 

It was receptions not yards. My mistake. Still impressive. With a guy that can actually throw with anticipation he is going to be even better next year.

41 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I missed understood a few pages ago when people were complaining about Taylor going out of bounds because I thought they were talking from a time perspective and I was like that didn’t hurt us but they meant they wanted Taylor to cut back up the field for more yards.  

Maybe that's what they meant. I thought it was about clock management. I think Taylor wasn't fighting for extra yards because he was in pain.

Just now, Superman said:

Maybe that's what they meant. I thought it was about clock management. I think Taylor wasn't fighting for extra yards because he was in pain.

Yeah that’s my thought he physically couldn’t make the cut.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, on the sweep left if he sticks it and cuts upfield I think it was an easy first down and it changes everything. Tough to complain after the game he had but the first down yards were there, at least in my opinion. 

• Like 1

just curious, how many of y'all also think Zaire Franklin is overrated as a LB?

I think part of it, is that the media loves talking to him because of the type of answers they get so they like to hype him up.

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. too many times Minshew was not looking at open receivers

Saw an all 22 today and Gardner throws it deep down middle of field to him instead of throwing it and leading him more to the sideline. Had he thrown it towards the sideline more and let Pierce go get it it’s a walk in TD.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I think part of it, is that the media loves talking to him because of the type of answers they get so they like to hype him up.

He is too inconsistent. He looks like a 7th rounder. You can rely on them for short periods but not a season. He is a great leader but I think we can do better. 

13 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

It’s not that far fetched and is actually pretty sound.

When the Texans wanted to stop the run, they absolutely did. Four times on the last series actually. The touchdown was a missed tackle and as stated, everyone else was scattered. On the season the Texans typically allowed a bit over 3 yards per carry before Saturday.

I think they thought to take their chances with a less than 100% JT rather than risk letting Minshew hitting someone open for the big play. Slows the game down and makes it more predictable.

I know it’s the trendy thing to think Minshew is terrible but he did make some pretty great throws that game and has the capability to do so.

Thats pretty ridiculous.

How do you know when they "wanted" to stop him and when they wanted him to run for over 10 yards? Which he did a mind boggling 7 times in that game btw.

Oh I know......

They didnt stop him very often all game....... But those are the only times they actually "wanted" to stop them?

How convenient for your opinion.

Gardner Minshew absolutely did not make any "amazing" throws in that game. Cmon man. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They've been open all year.

Pierce gets behind the defense quite a bit. Gardner is basically a "check down Charlie" type of QB who is getting rid of the ball first chance he gets 90% of the time. Its hard for Alec to look good with a QB like that.

People dont like hearing it, but its true. This is why Ballard isnt gonna worry about the WR position that much this offseason, nor should he. He might add somebody to the mix but we have 3 good young talents at WR. Pierce just needs to develop  a little more and be more of a focus. I have zero doubt about Downs and Pittman. 

I think they focus on defense in the draft.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

They've been open all year.

Pierce gets behind the defense quite a bit. Gardner is basically a "check down Charlie" type of QB who is getting rid of the ball first chance he gets 90% of the time. Its hard for Alec to look good with a QB like that.

People dont like hearing it, but its true. This is why Ballard isnt gonna worry about the WR position that much this offseason, nor should he. He might add somebody to the mix but we have 3 good young talents at WR. Pierce just needs to develop  a little more and be more of a focus. I have zero doubt about Downs and Pittman. 

I think they focus on defense in the draft.

That will change next year when we have a strong armed QB. Players were able to run open because Minshew wouldn’t throw it.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

He's an average starter. He is decent at run stopping, but below average at pass coverage. Some games he makes clutch tackles and other games he has bad misses. He's overrated if people think of him as someone on Prime Leonard's level.

That being said, I would love to see the Colts upgrade and bring more talent into the LB group considering Leonard's gone and they lost Okereke last year. I wouldn't hate having Franklin as part of the rotation next year at the right price.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder had a good point on JMV. If they had kept Taylor in and used play action you have the defense running towards the line of scrimmage and probably could of done anything they wanted.

LOL

Anything? Man, just imagine the possibilities. If they kept Taylor in and used play action, they might have been able to get the defense to bite, and then thrown to a wide open receiver! 

Of course, Minshew would have had to make a good throw, and the receiver would have had to catch the ball...