Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ogletree arrested for domestic battery (MERGE)

twfish

6 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Lmao so she admits she attacked him first and he gets in trouble for defending himself? She’s lucky she didn’t get punched in the face. 

Where did you get this info?

7 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Lmao so she admits she attacked him first and he gets in trouble for defending himself? She’s lucky she didn’t get punched in the face. 

She’s whatever size she is..   even if she’s 5’6” and 125, he’s 6’6” and 260. 

And you write about she’s lucky she didn’t get punched.  

Geez….   I don’t know why you think there’s any humor in this.   I find zero. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Exactly if she hit him first it’s not an excuse to body slam her which was one report.  It doesn’t make what she did acceptable either but being hit by someone doesn’t give you the right to beat the tar out of them (which in fairness to Olgetree he may not have done). Self defense is one thing but gong beyond that is still okay just because they hit you first.  Self defense is just that defending yourself from a present danger but you can cross the line with it if you do something beyond what should be required to defend yourself.  

I am sure others may disagree with what I said above and that’s fine, they are entitled to whatever opinion they want just as I am, but I am not going to engage in a debate over it as that’s not what this forum is for.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it was stated in the initial report that she had hit him first.

He shouldn't have hit in return which we all know but we don't know how crazy she could've been to him to test his limits, which is what some women do, regardless of their size and strength.

So, she escapes without any legal consequence for hitting him. That seems hypocritical too. Just because she's weaker shouldn't mean she could be legally hitting him without having to pay for any of her mistakes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Idc how big he is, and how small she is. That should tell you to not touch the man shouldn’t it? It’s funny how girls think it’s okay to assault men and expect no consequences in return from them. 

Tweez….    I like you.   You’re a good poster.   I take no satisfaction telling you I don’t think you’re making good arguments. 

But I don’t think you’ve thought this all the way through.   If I make Ogletree’s girlfriend bigger, say 5’10” and 150, do you feel any better about the argument?   I hope not.  

The moment things got even a little heated  in their home, here’s what Ogletree should have done….   He should’ve walked out of his home for at least the night.  Stay at a nearby hotel for a night or two until things cooled down.   As it is, his promising career is in extreme jeopardy.  

Frankly, that should be the default position for every professional athlete.   Way too much downside and almost zero upside to put your hands on a woman.   Short of a woman threatening a man with a gun or knife, just walk away.   Get out of a bad situation and let things calm down.   I’d like to think Ogletree has deep regret for not handling his private business in a better, smarter way.  Bet he’d like a do-over, but it’s too late.  

Anyway….  Sorry for getting on my soapbox,  but I thought I’d explain the bigger picture here.  

• Like 2

This thread is about a week old….   I was in it at the start when info was coming to light, but I’ve mostly stayed out of it because I’m so disappointed by what has happened.   

In the first day or two, I saw some comments of this nature…..

“Who cares, he’s just a 6th round draft pick?”

“Who cares, we don’t even throw to him that much, he doesn’t even have 10 catches.”

A reminder on Ogletree….  He has barely scratched the surface of what he might be someday.   In the PFF rankings out this week, Ogletree is ranked 24th out of 72  tight ends who have played enough to be graded.  He’s in the upper-third of ALL tight ends.  And he’s doing that while learning how to play the position.  In other words, that fact that he’s already playing at a high level means someday he might be a monster, a high level talent.  Just probably not for the Colts.  Community outrage may force the team to cut or trade him.   He didn’t play last year, he got hurt in the pre-season.  So this is his first year playing in the NFL and he’s already really good.   What could have been….  

Honestly, internally, I’d guess the Colts are HUGELY disappointed and frustrated over this.   To lose a diamond in the rough like this is a very tough loss for a franchise.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think it was stated in the initial report that she had hit him first.

He shouldn't have hit in return which we all know but we don't know how crazy she could've been to him to test his limits, which is what some women do, regardless of their size and strength.

So, she escapes without any legal consequence for hitting him. That seems hypocritical too. Just because she's weaker shouldn't mean she could be legally hitting him without having to pay for any of her mistakes.

I’m not a lawyer, I rarely even play one here.   I try to be more of a Big Picture guy.   

Maybe Ogletree can sue his girlfriend in civil court?   I don’t pretend to know?  

I just find the whole thing tragic and feel sad for all involved.  

Im not trying to avoid your comments, I just don’t have any response for you. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tweez….    I like you.   You’re a good poster.   I take no satisfaction telling you I don’t think you’re making good arguments. 

But I don’t think you’ve thought this all the way through.   If I make Ogletree’s girlfriend bigger, say 5’10” and 150, do you feel any better about the argument?   I hope not.  

The moment things got even a little heated  in their home, here’s what Ogletree should have done….   He should’ve walked out of his home for at least the night.  Stay at a nearby hotel for a night or two until things cooled down.   As it is, his promising career is in extreme jeopardy.  

Frankly, that should be the default position for every professional athlete.   Way too much downside and almost zero upside to put your hands on a woman.   Short of a woman threatening a man with a gun or knife, just walk away.   Get out of a bad situation and let things calm down.   I’d like to think Ogletree has deep regret for not handling his private business in a better, smarter way.  Bet he’d like a do-over, but it’s too late.  

Anyway….  Sorry for getting on my soapbox,  but I thought I’d explain the bigger picture here.  

With all due respect you speak as someone that has never been in any situation like this at all.  

while I won’t go as far as the poster you were replying to I will say that there is more than a small possibility that she was antagonistic beyond what was called for.  

I was in a marriage like that with a woman that went out of her way to get me to physically respond just so she could get me locked up.  It’s a lot harder than just talking about to walk away when that is happening.    

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not a lawyer, I rarely even play one here.   I try to be more of a Big Picture guy.   

Maybe Ogletree can sue his girlfriend in civil court?   I don’t pretend to know?  

I just find the whole thing tragic and feel sad for all involved.  

Im not trying to avoid your comments, I just don’t have any response for you. 

I agree with both of your comments above.

He was doing good and getting better, it's naive to write him off based on his draft slot.

And, he should've walked away as you said, or call police and report, maybe get a restraining order against her.

I was not looking for any response to how she has to face no consequences. I think that's the downside of ensuring that all  women don't hesitate to report the difficulties they face. 

As for athletes, they need to stay away from trouble, at the onset of it, and just walk away. Or be smart to report the incident rather than taking into their hands because doing that wouldn't go well for their career. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

With all due respect you speak as someone that has never been in any situation like this at all.  

while I won’t go as far as the poster you were replying to I will say that there is more than a small possibility that he was antagonistic beyond what was called for.  

I was in a marriage like that with a woman that went out of her way to get me to physically respond just so she could get me locked up.  It’s a lot harder than just talking about to walk away when that is happening.  

Im sincerely sorry for your situation.   That sounds like Hell.   But I’ve been with my wife for over 30 years, and we’ve had our fair share of arguments involving plenty of screaming which got us nowhere. 

So now, whenever things begin to heat up, I walk out of the room we’re in.   I go upstairs or downstairs, away from my wife.   I’ve spent a night in a hotel.  So I’ve practiced what I preach here.  And it’s worked for me. 

But your situation sounds dramatically worse than anything I’ve been through,  so I’m not comparing my life to yours.   It sounds like you’re no longer married to that person.  I hope she’s completely out of your life.   I wish you happiness as your life moves forward.   

10 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

while I won’t go as far as the poster you were replying to I will say that there is more than a small possibility that she was antagonistic beyond what was called for.  

That's true.. because such situations will neither leave you alone nor will let you be gentle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doesn’t matter what size she is. No one, no matter size or gender, gets to walk around and hit other people all willy nilly. If it’s true she hit him first I think his defense is set..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

On 1/1/2024 at 2:03 PM, Douzer said:

The first officer on the scene discovered the woman upstairs in a bedroom crying in pain. The woman told police that after breaking Ogletree’s phone and attempting to hit him during an argument, he “lifted her to about his shoulder height and body slammed her onto the ground.”

She claimed Ogletree then told her, “They will never believe you,” after she said she needed an ambulance. The woman was later placed in a cervical collar by on-scene medics and transported to a hospital for further evaluation of her injuries. Ogletree’s young son was in the home when the incident occurred, according to the affidavit (according to James Boyd of The Athletic, which obtained a probable cause affidavit).

I'm confused. How does a perpetrator admit to destruction of property & both felony assault charges in an official affidavit and yet the person attacked gets charged and arrested?

Also, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I mean, did this occur in Iran, N. Korea or the USA?

So responding cops aren’t detectives or investigators. Their job is to take initial statements, make an arrest or otherwise diffuse the situation and let the courts sort it all out.

While it sounds like she definitely initiated it now , at the time, the responding officers arrived and found a woman injured by a rather big man. They arrested the man who injured her because that is the most obvious evidence available to them at that time. If the man had been the injured party in a roles reversed scenario, the woman would be getting arrested. 

now it is important to remember that detectives and prosecutors investigate these matters and often charges can change/be dropped/added and other parties can be charged and arrested as well. Give it time to let it all work out and see where the dust settles when this actually goes to court in the next several months.

my first ever call that I responded too as an Army MP on an active duty base was a domestic violence case. I’ll never forget it. Little 5 ft 2 skinny woman attacked her 6 ft , 185 pound Army husband with a 10 inch butcher knife. She sliced and diced and he barricaded himself inside the bedroom and called us. We responded. She was totally nuts, took 4 of us to subdue her after she charged us.  We arrested her took statements from him and tried to get one from her, which all she told us at the time was that she did attack him. etc.

what came out during the CID investigation was that she had caught him in the act of raping her 15 year old daughter, his step daughter,  that night and when she tried to pull him off of her, he punched the wife in the gut repeatedly.  None of this she told us at the time of initial incident and bruising to her stomach was found as proof to her claims as well as her 15 year old daughter who confirmed what happens. Our mistake at the time was not asking if there was anyone else home at the time. The girl had ran out to a friends house when the parents fight started but being a rookie, never asked the question. 

moral of the story is , don’t always believe initial reports and in this case, the officers in my opinion did the right thing by arresting him due to the injuries obvious at the time. I could see both parties charged or even no parties convicted in this once it settles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Nadine locked this topic