Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Tampa Bay at Colts plus injury reports

Restinpeacesweetchloe

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would feel more confident about taking advantage of that if the offense had looked better last two weeks. I just don’t have faith in Minshew. Hopefully some things get fixed in the bye week.

I feel the same way, but Minshew is due to bounce back. He's not over the hill, and is still capable of putting up a good passing game. Hopefully the bye week gave Shane some time to figure out a decent game plan. The team is fairly healthy, and we are home. TB is just a mediocre team, so the situation is about as positive as we can really wish

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to a podcast today and they said EJ Speed was colts highest graded run defender. I think colts run defense should be better with him having more snaps. Although Tampa doesn’t run very well.

Correct. I believe I saw somewhere Tampa has the worst rushing offense in the NFL. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I really wish Taylor can become, once again, one of the top backs through the remainder of this season. But I have my doubts he will.

We got JT signed, along with Moss, and for once, our highly paid line is finally healthy (knock on wood). The pieces are in place for success on the ground.

My opinion, as to why we seem to have difficulty consistently establishing the running game, is because the team does not run enough plays from under center. 

I'm watching San Francisco (Shanahan) now, and see how effective McCaffrey is when they run with the QB under center.

I believe JT's production would greatly benefit, if Steichen would just come out with Minshew, lined up under center, and run the ball. 

But unfortunately, it seems SS has almost abandoned that formation, and is going to continue to run nearly every play from the shotgun formation.

Ballard invested heavily in Taylor, and seems to be committed in wanting to establish the Colts as a "hard nosed running team"...

yet I don't think that identity is really possible without, at least a decent percentage of the plays being run from under center.

...And some of the other benefits, in running from under center, is the play-action pass looks much more deceiving, to the eyes of the defenders.

and it's more successful than shotgun, for those short one yard (goal line) situations, we always struggle to convert.

I briefly mentioned the same thing after the last game. They did have Minshew under center a bit more but not enough in my opinion.  Defenses don’t respect Minshew’s ability to run so the RPO out of the shotgun has teams selling out to stop Taylor who has barely gotten out of his stance.  I hate it especially on short yardage downs. 

• Like 3

Kelly has always been the player who takes the longest to get through the concussion protocol. 

David being out for Tampa is big. He’s a stud. The last time we played Tampa like Leonard he had a punch out that game. However, he also covered TE’s and stuffed runs. If both their LB’s and two DB’s are out I hope Steichen can expose that. 

22 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

How ... TF did Kelly get concussed again?!

the more severe the concussions are over time one more susceptible to become concussed, so it really is not surprising. Centers also snap the ball with their head down, they snap their head back and forth at the snap to look, they snap their head up to block. I mean it's just sad, but part of the game. 

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I suspect, the reason Kelly is out, is more likely because he has had multiple concussions and they believe missing additional time is in his best interest

Yep he may very well not be experience symptoms. Just might be being cautious.

25 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

How ... TF did Kelly get concussed again?!

He got concussed last game. Still did not clear protocol.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:41 PM, 1959Colts said:

I feel the same way, but Minshew is due to bounce back. He's not over the hill, and is still capable of putting up a good passing game. Hopefully the bye week gave Shane some time to figure out a decent game plan. The team is fairly healthy, and we are home. TB is just a mediocre team, so the situation is about as positive as we can really wish

i am more concerned about gus soft defense

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How do you know the Colts preferred Tippman over Brents?    Thats not the kind of thing the Colts let out. 

Yeah, my bad, I worded that very poorly.

What I ment was Tippman was on their radar and it seems from the comments from the war-room on draft day it was between Tippman and Brents with the 44th overall pick. Tippman got taken with the 43rd, so the choice was obvious after that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

DJ always seems to produce when presented the opportunity.(preseason)

Little strange call up in my opinion

Don't know if any additional injuries at WR? Downs clearly coming off injury before bye.

Pittman

Downs

Pierce

McKenzie

Winfree

Montgomery

Maybe this means we are going to try and exploit their pass defense deficiencies. 

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

DJ always seems to produce when presented the opportunity.(preseason)

Little strange call up in my opinion

Don't know if any additional injuries at WR? Downs clearly coming off injury before bye.

Pittman

Downs

Pierce

McKenzie

Winfree

Montgomery

Maybe this means we are going to try and exploit their pass defense deficiencies. 

Probably just insurance for Downs.  Shane said on colts 360 he thinks they figured out some things during the self scout process. But I think you’re on to something about exploiting their bad pass defense. Minshew has  to deliver though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably just insurance for Downs.  Shane said on colts 360 he thinks they figured out some things during the self scout process. But I think you’re on to something about exploiting their bad pass defense. Minshew has  to deliver though.

minshew will deliver if the o-line can give the wrs time to get open or shane uses 2 rbs at once to run or pass

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Anyone else going to the game tomorrow?

Yes,

got lucky and got field level seats in the corner. Gonna bring a pot of chili, and some cold drinks. Should be setting up south of the oil can around 10 AM.

• Like 2