Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Tampa Bay at Colts plus injury reports

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Good for AR and the Colts he's back in the building. I hope Brents is ready to go this week.

Lol, didn't see the AR part in the OP tweet, I had just been trying to find a good home for that tweet.

Definitely need Brents back.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is the first time in a few weeks Steichen has said we will see about Brent’s. Hopefully that is good news.

Looks like a no go to me. Probably needed a limited today to be on tract for a return. That looked to be pretty serious when it happened and evidently it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, but we have trouble with all WRs so it can't get much worse.

Win the turnover game, win the game, I think.

They need to keep mayfield in the well or pocket. Don’t let him roll out. He has trouble if he has to  throw from pocket too much. If Brent’s doesn’t go that will make things even harder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, but we have trouble with all WRs so it can't get much worse.

Win the turnover game, win the game, I think.

Really not too surprising as we've lost Gilmore from last year and Rodgers , Flowers and Brents this year. Forgetting Gilmore , we are playing without our top 3 CBs . 

• Like 2

Just now, dw49 said:

Really not too surprising as we've lost Gilmore from last year and Rodgers , Flowers and Brents this year. Forgetting Gilmore , we are playing without our top 3 CBs . 

Yep and some how still have (3) CBs graded in the top 57, when Brents gets back.

3 CBs(Nickel) x 32 teams = (96) "starting" CBs across the league(I know not all teams run nickel as base, we seem to majority of time). So to have 3 in top 57 is pretty miraculous for what we have lost at the position.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope to see some tweeks on offense this sunday. We’ve struggled when the opponents sits on the run, so hopefully Steichen and crew have thought up a solution. 

I know Minshew is a limited talent, but if it’s just more of the same I’ll be disappointed. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

Jones has been very good so far if he continues and we see something from Ameer Speed our young Corner room may grow into something special.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I hope to see some tweeks on offense this sunday. We’ve struggled when the opponents sits on the run, so hopefully Steichen and crew have thought up a solution. 

I know Minshew is a limited talent, but if it’s just more of the same I’ll be disappointed. 

I wonder if we can use the screen or short passing game to extend the run game. This is kind of big for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wonder if we can use the screen or short passing game to extend the run game. This is kind of big for that.

the short passing game is pretty much all the colts have been doing all year. I have been calling for more screen passes all year, but the colts don’t use it and I don’t know it would be effective when teams are playing your short passing game. You need defenders to drop down field to open up the field for screens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, husker61 said:

the short passing game is pretty much all the colts have been doing all year. I have been calling for more screen passes all year, but the colts don’t use it and I don’t know it would be effective when teams are playing your short passing game. You need defenders to drop down field to open up the field for screens.

What doesn’t help is Minschew is not a strong armed quarterback who can throw deep.  So they can play the short passing game.  It has worked occasionally as the quick short passes to the outside with blockers in front have resulted in a number of big gains and touchdowns on occasion.  Our OL is a strength and can get downfield to block when called on.  The guards pull very well.  I’m expecting big things from JT the rest of the way.  He’s our big playmaker and is ready to breakout imo.  More roll outs for Minschew would be a good tactic as well imo with more motion from our WR’s thrown in as well.   I think we need to focus on our strengths which is our very good OL and JT along with Minchews mobility.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What doesn’t help is Minschew is not a strong armed quarterback who can throw deep.  So they can play the short passing game.  It has worked occasionally as the quick short passes to the outside with blockers in front have resulted in a number of big gains and touchdowns on occasion.  Our OL is a strength and can get downfield to block when called on.  The guards pull very well.  I’m expecting big things from JT the rest of the way.  He’s our big playmaker and is ready to breakout imo.  More roll outs for Minschew would be a good tactic as well imo with more motion from our WR’s thrown in as well.   I think we need to focus on our strengths which is our very good OL and JT along with Minchews mobility.  Just my 2 cents.

Minshew is an NFL QB and can throw deep.   He needs the plays to be called and his receivers to be one on one.   He has to take a shot from time to time

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I really wish Taylor can become, once again, one of the top backs through the remainder of this season. But I have my doubts he will.

We got JT signed, along with Moss, and for once, our highly paid line is finally healthy (knock on wood). The pieces are in place for success on the ground.

My opinion, as to why we seem to have difficulty consistently establishing the running game, is because the team does not run enough plays from under center. 

I'm watching San Francisco (Shanahan) now, and see how effective McCaffrey is when they run with the QB under center.

I believe JT's production would greatly benefit, if Steichen would just come out with Minshew, lined up under center, and run the ball. 

But unfortunately, it seems SS has almost abandoned that formation, and is going to continue to run nearly every play from the shotgun formation.

Ballard invested heavily in Taylor, and seems to be committed in wanting to establish the Colts as a "hard nosed running team"...

yet I don't think that identity is really possible without, at least a decent percentage of the plays being run from under center.

...And some of the other benefits, in running from under center, is the play-action pass looks much more deceiving, to the eyes of the defenders.

and it's more successful than shotgun, for those short one yard (goal line) situations, we always struggle to convert.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I really wish Taylor can become, once again, one of the top backs through the remainder of this season. But I have my doubts he will.

We got JT signed, along with Moss, and for once, our highly paid line is finally healthy (knock on wood). The pieces are in place for success on the ground.

My opinion, as to why we seem to have difficulty consistently establishing the running game, is because the team does not run enough plays from under center. 

I'm watching San Francisco (Shanahan) now, and see how effective McCaffrey is when they run with the QB under center.

I believe JT's production would greatly benefit, if Steichen would just come out with Minshew, lined up under center, and run the ball. 

But unfortunately, it seems SS has almost abandoned that formation, and is going to continue to run nearly every play from the shotgun formation.

Ballard invested heavily in Taylor, and seems to be committed in wanting to establish the Colts as a "hard nosed running team"...

yet I don't think that identity is really possible without, at least a decent percentage of the plays being run from under center.

...And some of the other benefits, in running from under center, is the play-action pass looks much more deceiving, to the eyes of the defenders.

and it's more successful than shotgun, for those short one yard (goal line) situations, we always struggle to convert.

Not being able to run is the direct affect of Minshew nor throwing down field. Why should teams defend downfield when he only throws it on rare occasion. On the first drive against pats he threw a 30 yard pass to McKenzie then Taylor ran really well that first drive. Going to have to throw down field to open up the run game. I agree I am not liking shot gun it hurts the play action and the run game. Steichen is going to have to run away from Vea. More outside runs. The Tampa secondary is really bad but it kinds of plays into the hands of the colts since Minshew don’t throw down field. Pittman and downs should have big days if Minshew can throw the ball well.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not being able to run is the direct affect of Minshew nor throwing down field. Why should teams defend downfield when he only throws it on rare occasion. On the first drive against pats he threw a 30 yard pass to McKenzie then Taylor ran really well that first drive. Going to have to throw form field to open up the run game. I agree I am not liking shot gun it hurts the play action and the run game. Steichen is going to have to run away from Vea. More outside runs. The Tampa secondary is really bad but it kinds of plays into the hands of the colts since Minshew don’t throw down field. Pittman and downs should have big days if Minshew can throw the ball well.

I totally agree with you, that Minshews passing game is hurting the running game... But also, every time they try to run a handoff, when the QB is 6 yards deep, in the shotgun, doesn't help either.

If our QB is not a great threat at deep passing, and since we have the great o-line and backs... maybe then, they should try establishing the run? 

And seriously, what great running team, Would only run plays out of the shotgun? After all, the shotgun is a passing formation, not a running formation.

Its obvious Ballard wants the Colts to have the "hard nosed" reputation...

Remember, a couple years back, when the team was marketing the slogan "Just Run the Damn Ball" 

That idea seems foolish, if the offense operates nearly 100% of the time from shotgun

• Like 4

With Bucs LB group injured I can see some outside runs being successful. I don’t think Steichen will be as stubborn as Reich and run up the gut when he knows that’s Tampa’s strength. 

Remember the hatred towards Reich when we played Tampa in 21. 27 straight passes but it was successful. The bad thing Reich didn’t do when they got a big lead was then run to use clock after that big lead.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With Bucs LB group injured I can see some outside runs being successful. I don’t think Steichen will be as stubborn as Reich and run up the gut when he knows that’s Tampa’s strength. 

Remember the hatred towards Reich when we played Tampa in 21. 27 straight passes but it was successful. The bad thing Reich didn’t do when they got a big lead was then run to use clock after that big lead.

The only single TB player Steichen mentioned in his press conference was Vita Vea. He is certainly aware of his presence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The only single TB player Steichen mentioned in his press conference was Vita Vea. He is certainly aware of his presence.

I think the key to this game will be keeping baker in the pocket and not letting him roll out and getting pressure on him. Because they can score. Their defense might be beat up but they have a good offense.  If Colts defense doesn’t  play well we won’t win because I don’t think Minshew is good enough to get in a shootout.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think the key to this game will be keeping baker in the pocket and not letting him roll out and getting pressure on him. Because they can score. Their defense might be beat up but they have a good offense.  If Colts defense doesn’t  play well we won’t win because I don’t think Minshew is good enough to get in a shootout.

Two TB games (out of the three) I watched the past few weeks, the Bucs secondary was absolutely atrocious. So that may.come into play as well?

25 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Two TB games (out of the three) I watched the past few weeks, the Bucs secondary was absolutely atrocious. So that may.come into play as well?

I would feel more confident about taking advantage of that if the offense had looked better last two weeks. I just don’t have faith in Minshew. Hopefully some things get fixed in the bye week.