Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game reaction

GoColts8818

Good:

-Brent’s even with he PI and TD given up, is the best player in the secondary.

-Downs continues to impress 

Bad

-Minshew was awful

-Receivers except for Downs were awful

-Defense took away the top receiver for once but still gave up 37

-Why do we keep throwing contested catches to Pierce? He’s like 1/7 on those throws

-Steichen: Where was the run game? You have Moss and JT. The Titans run defense is way tougher than the Jag’s so idk why he changed strategies

Biggest takeaway: This offense is screaming for a down the field playmaker. Not that Minshew would have delivered them the ball, but even the announcers were saying how 1 dimensional we are. I already feel like it’s draft season smh. They need MHJ, Odunze, or Coleman to become available today because these receivers aren’t it. Pierce is a bust. The new Parris Campbell. One big catch a game and then dissapears.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

AR is what had everyone excited, but somewhere it turned into Minshew Mania and the Colts were a playoff team. Like I said previously, the Colts roster is not that good and expecting Mustache Man to deliver over a season isn't going to happen. Losing the franchise for the season, translates to tank mode. 2024 can't get here fast enough. 

The Colts will not tank.   The Colts will try to win every game.   But that may not be many as Minshew’s limitations will likely be exposed now.   Sucks for the Colts.   But they will not tank on purpose.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

his injuries haven’t been the result of not getting down.  They have been routine NFL tackles that’s why it’s concerning, you can’t say if the line just protected him better or if he would just slide he would be okay like you could with Luck.  He’s getting hurt on normal hits he’s going to take as a running QB.  He was going to the ground when he got hurt week one, week two came on just being pushed going out of bounds on a run, he got stepped on scrambling vs the Rams, and he was going down and took a normal hit a running QB is going to take vs the Titans.  So far he’s shown he can’t take normal hits and that’s part of why it’s concerning.  

I don’t think having a DE land on you at speed with your shoulders perpendicular to the ground is a normal hit.  Any slight change in angle, timing, whatever, and he gets back up just like all the other hits he’s taken this year.  There is some luck involved.  The concern is that he needs to give up on those types of plays when they’re not there instead of taking on 2 defenders.  Hopefully that can become part of his game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good:

-Brent’s even with he PI and TD given up, is the best player in the secondary.

-Downs continues to impress 

Bad

-Minshew was awful

-Receivers except for Downs were awful

-Defense took away the top receiver for once but still gave up 37

-Why do we keep throwing contested catches to Pierce? He’s like 1/7 on those throws

-Steichen: Where was the run game? You have Moss and JT. The Titans run defense is way tougher than the Jag’s so idk why he changed strategies

Biggest takeaway: This offense is screaming for a down the field playmaker. Not that Minshew would have delivered them the ball, but even the announcers were saying how 1 dimensional we are. I already feel like it’s draft season smh. They need MHJ, Odunze, or Coleman to become available today because these receivers aren’t it. Pierce is a bust. The new Parris Campbell. One big catch a game and then dissapears.

Disagree about the receivers besides Downs being awful.  Pittman caught 9 of 14 passes for 109 yards.  He did his job.  

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No run pass options this game. No threats to confuse defense. Just drop back and throw. Steichen was hired because he was a young innovative play  caller. Kind of shocked.

You overhyped yourself on thinking Minshew was a starter caliber QB. He’s not. Last season he was pretty bad for the Eagles.

Steichen was much better when calling plays for Hurts. 

• Like 2

Just now, Breeze said:

I don’t think having a DE land on you at speed with your shoulders perpendicular to the ground is a normal hit.  Any slight change in angle, timing, whatever, and he gets back up just like all the other hits he’s taken this year.  There is some luck involved.  The concern is that he needs to give up on those types of plays when they’re not there instead of taking on 2 defenders.  Hopefully that can become part of his game. 

As of right now the dude is on Bob Sanders status. Dude is 255 pounds and 21 years of age. Shouldn’t be getting hurt like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

You overhyped yourself on thinking Minshew was a starter caliber QB. He’s not. Last season he was pretty bad for the Eagles.

In fairness she’s been screaming for the past week at the people asking if Minshew was the starting when AR gets back if he keeps winning while AR is out that AR was the starter no questions asked.  She kinda saw this game coming along with some others who kept saying AR is the starter.  

Minshew is a backup QB like I’ve been saying.  Like all backups if they play too long they show why they are a backup.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

As of right now the dude is on Bob Sanders status. Dude is 255 pounds and 21 years of age. Shouldn’t be getting hurt like that. 

Because weighing a lot makes it less likely to get concussed or injure your shoulder when landing on it?

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I am one person you can’t accuse of that. I said all week we would see his limitations. I defiantly did not hype him up.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He never started.  He came out throwing on the first drive.  I didn’t like the game plan at all.

I think this was Shane's worse game but up until now he been a good coach. He laid an egg today. We should have ran a lot more, not sure why he wanted to make Mustache the focal point? Mustache is good when our running game is in control. He passed way too much today hence the TURNOVERS. Looked like Reich with Wentz at times. Had we scored a TD on the opening drive, maybe things would have been different? Not sure though. Mustache has trouble playing from behind, everyone knows that. AR made the comeback vs the Rams look easy though chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I think you need to go take a physics class if you think a heavy man landing directly on his head is somehow less likely to be concussed than anyone else.

I flipped my car 5 times in 2011 and walked away with just a concussion. I was going 80mph and I weighed 165. The dude is made of Bob Sanders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In fairness she’s been screaming for the past week at the people asking if Minshew was the starting when AR gets back if he keeps winning while AR is out that AR was the starter no questions asked.  She kinda saw this game coming along with some others who kept saying AR is the starter.  

Minshew is a backup QB like I’ve been saying.  Like all backups if they play too long they show why they are a backup.

And he’s a great backup QB. But he doesn’t have the it factor. He’s just not the sort of player to change the outcome of the game. 

I apologize to everyone on here for being negative, but I wasn’t a fan of him back then, and I’m just sort of okay with him now. 

49 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good chance Pierce  might miss the game next week. 

Steichen has to do a better job getting players in position to use their strengths.

Good chance Pierce has mis:lol:sed every game so far this season...

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this was Shane's worse game but up until now he been a good coach. He laid an egg today. We should have ran a lot more, not sure why he wanted to make Mustache the focal point? Mustache is good when our running game is in control. He passed way too much today hence the TURNOVERS. Looked like Reich with Wentz at times. Had we scored a TD on the opening drive, maybe things would have been different? Not sure though. Mustache has trouble playing from behind, everyone knows that. AR made the comeback vs the Rams look easy though chuckling homer simpson GIF.

Personal opinion I think up until now a lot of Shane’s mistakes have been overlooked because he wasn’t Frank or Saturday.  Frankly he enjoyed a honey moon period that is now over.  It doesn’t mean I think Shane did a bad job the first five weeks of the season, in fact I’d agree overall he did a good job.  I just think there have been clear signs he was a rookie coach all along that were kinda overlooked.  Hopefully he learns from it and gets better, like you’d want any rookie to do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

week to week, we will beat the Browns. They had 1 fluky win lmao 

We’ll see. I actually have confidence in Steichen, but once again we have a coach who’s limited on talent in the most important positions. 

Sure he could run the ball 30-40 times, but that generally isn’t a good recipe. He’s not an * like some think he is. He was following what nearly most coaches do when you are fighting a high powered offensive opponent. 

I actually think with Richardson in we would’ve won that game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Personal opinion I think up until now a lot of Shane’s mistakes have been overlooked because he wasn’t Frank or Saturday.  Frankly he enjoyed a honey moon period that is now over.  It doesn’t mean I think Shane did a bad job the first five weeks of the season, in fact I’d agree overall he did a good job.  I just think there have been clear signs he was a rookie coach all along that were kinda overlooked.  Hopefully he learns from it and gets better, like you’d want any rookie to do.

I respect that opinion, today was a big game and he laid an egg. 11 more games to go. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And he’s a great backup QB. But he doesn’t have the it factor. He’s just not the sort of player to change the outcome of the game. 

I apologize to everyone on here for being negative, but I wasn’t a fan of him back then, and I’m just sort of okay with him now. 

That’s okay, I agree with you that Minshew is a great back up and not a starter.  I think even Minshew knows that which is why I’ve wanted and still want Ballard to extend him.  I don’t think you are going to find a better backup, even after today.  I never really took the fear some had that someone is going to offer him a chance to be a starter somewhere seriously because NFL teams know his limitations and that he’s a backup.  There is nothing wrong with that as long as that’s what you expect him to be as he is here.  Unfortunately, due to AR’s injury he being forced into playing long term.  With that said I don’t think you are going to find a better backup QB that is truly just a backup QB.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Stay tuned! Shane will be the forum whooping boy, before to long. Ballard will continue to be hands off though. :peek:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We’ll see. I actually have confidence in Steichen, but once again we have a coach who’s limited on talent in the most important positions. 

Sure he could run the ball 30-40 times, but that generally isn’t a good recipe. He’s not an * like some think he is. He was following what nearly most coaches do when you are fighting a high powered offensive opponent. 

I actually think with Richardson in we would’ve won that game. 

Can he rush the passer, can he play safety,  can he play corner? Rose colored glasses

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Backups almost never have the “it” factor.   They’re backups for a reason.   Minshew is still a high level backup.   He’s just not likely to be a very good long term starter as some here (not you) we’re saying for weeks now.   He is who he is.   

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If this season turns out like last year does  chris Ballard survive?

I mean it’s not Ballard’s fault AR got hurt.  It’s not last year where they didn’t have a QB.  The QB got hurt in a season Irsay kinda admitted wasn’t going to be a great season to start with when he said he wanted to see progress.

I think overall that progress is there.  The line is better, the run game when used has been outstanding with a backup back, the dline has been better until today, AR showed lots of promise until he got hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Lot of overreactions in this thread. Chill out, it's one game.

Normal week.  I bet about half the fan bases out there, including the 49ers, are overreacting and calling for a new GM, coach, stadium bathroom facilities, or new team colors about now.  It’s why I love the new Dr. Pepper Fansville commercial about fan overreaction.