Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

JT seems to be a smart kid. Hopefully he will come to his senses.

Like I said this situation is going to go one of two ways.  The Barkley way where he realizes he’s not going to get what he wants and decides to make the best of it or the Jacobs way where he just holds out in hopes of forcing what he wants.  Right now the ball is in court.  So far he seems to be taking the Jacob’s approach but that could change on a dime.  All we can do is wait and see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet if his agent was willing to compromise they could come up with something to make both sides happier in the short term. Irsay is worried snort guaranteed money and years. I feel that Irsay takes care of his players and would meet him in the middle if they would just talk.

The colts are trying to change and build a culture with a young QB. JT needs to relax and tell his agent to knock it off.

The Colts have been pretty clear they aren’t going to address his contract right now.  So the idea of a compromise is DOA before it even gets to the agent.

Taylor isn’t interested in what’s best for the Colts.  He’s interested in what’s best for him and before someone says that selfish yeah it is but every player in the NFL is the same way.  You have to make sure you get paid first.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts have no interest or willingness to compromise.  They own his rights.  He’s coming off a down year and injury.  It makes sense for them to want to see if he can bounce back before they invest anymore money in him or extend his contract.  

As for Taylor I don’t know how much of this is advice as it is just how he feels.  I do think he’s under a lot of pressure from his fellow running backs right now but I also think he feels like he’s worked his whole life to get this major payday that a second contract would be and he’s mad he’s not getting it.  Right or wrong or realistic or not I think that’s how he feels more than he’s being advised to act this way.

He’s making 4 million per. It’s not like he’s making minimum wage. 

• Like 2

The JT thing is so messed up (just from a common business sense standpoint). He's a legit smart kid. His agent is a clown (lots of old tweets of his are popping up that are baddddddd). 

Sure, his agent got Leonard his money, but this is just not smart. Do the simple math.

Current franchise RB tag: $10.1M

In this current market if you use that number and then factor in a tag at 1.20X and 1.44X it (the going rate for double and triple tagging) then that would be 

2023: $4.3M (last yr of rookie deal)
2024: $10.1M
2025: $12.1M
2026: $17.4M

4/$44M

Even with high estimates of next year's RB tag possibly rising to the $13M range due to the taggings of guys this year that would be:

2023: $4.3M
2024: $13.0M
2025: $15.7M
2026: $22.6M

$4/$56M

So the absolute most you could reasonably expect is a 3 year extension at around $40M-$52M and that is like max max max.

Which the Colts would never do because you can simply tag him yearly and pay the same figures with little to no risk. No dead cap. No risk of paying an injured player and seeing him not re-live his previous elite level (like we have seen a bit Q and Leonard).

The truth is JT is probably a great comp to Nick Chubb. Similar skills and value. Chubb got 3 years and $36M at the peak of the RB market that has since tanked.

If JT got a 3 yr extension for $36M  that would be like being tagged 3 yrs in a row at today's rate. And probably more than fair. 

He clearly wants more. The Colts won't pay more. Smart.

In the end, if JT does what Le'veon did he will regret it.

More likely he eventually honors the deal and plays and tries to ball out or he signs a slightly enhanced deal like Ekeler and Barkley did to just play this year like he should.

The reality is if he were smart he would have kept quiet, balled out and then hoped that Pittman did the same. Colts would only be able to tag one of them. Instead this just got super ugly. 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Hoose said:

None of us know what has been said behind closed doors between the Colts and the Taylor camp. But the owner does no good by going public with his comments. That Irsay chose to do so appears to have set the entire process on tilt. It accomplished nothing and has now created a major distraction and perhaps an irreparable rift between mgmt. and it’s best player.

To Jim Irsay: Please shut up and stay off Twitter. You’ve made a mess of things. 
To JT: You can’t win this fight. At least not this year. Climb out of your hole before it gets too deep and play your tail off. You’ll get paid if you play as well as I think you will. 

Irsay was not taking a jab a Taylor

He was protecting the collective agreement. A certain postion cannot rewrite it just because they don't like it. If they played in the era of Barry Sanders, they would be getting 20 mill a year or more. They are not and the game has changed. This is capitalism in its truest form; supply and demand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

What is Irsay's quote here supposed to mean? That Taylor and everyone else on the Colts, including him don't really matter? How is that helpful in dealing with Taylor and other players? Why can't he just keep quiet and let his GM manage personnel?

I think he implies that league would move on and wouldn't care about any individual as much as the one who is contracted to at any moment. That Colts would treat every player fairly, and JT won't get that from around the league, especially in the current RB market.

I think Irsay would've communicated that better to JT in their talk but when he speaks to the reporters, Irsay does talk without context at times. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I bet if his agent was willing to compromise they could come up with something to make both sides happier in the short term. Irsay is worried snort guaranteed money and years. I feel that Irsay takes care of his players and would meet him in the middle if they would just talk.

The colts are trying to change and build a culture with a young QB. JT needs to relax and tell his agent to knock it off.

They talked for over an hour today in private in person

Just now, csmopar said:

He’s making 4 million per. It’s not like he’s making minimum wage. 

4 million per year is pretty much minimum wage for football players.  Again, you can’t compare NFL players to everyday pay it’s apples to oranges.  If you were making way less than what others who work in your profession are making you’d want a pay raise too.  

I am not saying Taylor is going to get it or is going about it the right way but I understand why he wants it. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

4 million per year is pretty much minimum wage for football players.  Again, you can’t compare NFL players to everyday pay it’s apples to oranges.  If you were making way less than what others who work in your profession are making you’d want a pay raise too.  

I am not saying Taylor is going to get it or is going about it the right way but I understand why he wants it. 

I'm a believer in Taylor's stance he deserve better than the way he's being treated. 

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I know I was there in the tent not to far from it today. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during that conversation. 

I was in the bleachers didn’t know if it until after I got home 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sure I would, and I’ve been there,  but I’m not gonna quit my job until I found a new one or they let me go, whichever happened first. In fact, I’d bust my hump in the meantime that way there’s a bigger impact felt when I’d quit. Assuming they were being jerks about it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I'm a believer in Taylor's stance he deserve better than the way he's being treated. 

Sure he does. But that’s not the market, hasn’t been the market in a couple years and isn’t likely to be the market again. 

the only way this market goes back up is if players at RB stop coming out for the draft en masse. Supply and demand

Just now, csmopar said:

Sure he does. But that’s not the market, hasn’t been the market in a couple years and isn’t likely to be the market again. 

the only way this market goes back up is if players at RB stop coming out for the draft en masse. Supply and demand

Well, the Colts never have heard on to RB's real long if you look at history. So I guess Colts don't value the running back position even without the league value. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

As a talent yes but the whole issue here is he’s a running back.  The whole league is devaluing the running back position and running backs are trying to push back to make that change.  If Taylor was any other position right now this wouldn’t be an issue.  Look at what’s going on with Pittman for example whose in the same position.  What’s the difference?  The league isn’t devaluing WRs so WRs arent pushing back so Pittman is just letting it play out.  

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I’m sorry, but this is so dumb. I think JT got caught up in all of the RB hoopla and it’s stuck in his ear. He’s on his rookie contract still. This is too early, I was thinking he would have these talks at the end of the year. Cmon

Man JT has a high IQ and was a philosophy major, which means he has elite logic/reasoning skills.

I doubt he’s emotional about this.  If so he would have made a poor philosopher.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Don't blame JT for wanting more money. Blame him for how he's handled it

Yeah Leonard is paid but his agent has driven a wedge. Can see him trying to get Leonard to different team as well.

it would be great for the org to shake some of that contract loose 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

He would come back in week 10 to get his accrued season. Would do the same thing in 24+25.

He’s injured now . 

GIF by Hyper RPG

Unless a trade or Irsay signs him, I guess he stays injured

GIF by Hyper RPG

until week 10.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s injured now . 

GIF by Hyper RPG

Unless a trade or Irsay signs him, I guess he stays injured

GIF by Hyper RPG

until week 10.

Tbh, if he stays injured he doesn't even have to come back week 10.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Welp...  There it is Colts fans.  JT saying he wants a trade puts the truth in all the tweets.

So, let's consider.

If it's true that the relationship is irreparably broken.

If he really doesn't want to be here.

Then, as a coach and as a GM I would have to consider telling JT to go home.

We're trying to build a new vibe, a new feeling, a new hope with this team.  And we can't have a guy roaming the sidelines with his hoodie up and a black cloud raining down on him and whoever is near him, wherever he goes.  It's detrimental.

If you don't want to be here, then don't be here.

In the meantime, an open piece of advice to JT:

You've probably played your last down in the NFL.  If you're demanding a trade, and you're demanding money that nobody in the NFL is willing to pay a running back...  If this is the hill you've decided to die on...  Then nobody is going to trade for you.  Nobody.

It looks like Saquan Barkeley was the wise one.  Take the deal they're offering you.  You're not going to get a better deal anywhere in the NFL.

But Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

hes injured.  That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah, because he didn't want to.

Like has been said over and over the last 4 days.

Players can easily say something doesn't feel right and doctors take them at their word.

It's became clearer and clearer, this was a hold in play.

Thanks Mike, but we knew he didn't pass his pre-camp physical, because he was placed on PUP.

• Like 3

I swear some colt fans are stupid. They think Taylor not being on the roster on the colts website means the colts are moving on not realizing that if you're on PUP, you don't count against the roster 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I swear some colt fans are stupid. They think Taylor not being on the roster on the colts website means the colts are moving on not realizing that if you're on PUP, you don't count against the roster 🤦‍♂️

Not everyone lives and breaths Colts football and knows the rules of PUP and the roster count.

If we were contenders I'd be upset but we aren't so... Lol

No problem with tacking on a couple years at a fair rate, but I'm not setting the market for rb's if I'm the Colts and I say that as a huge JT fan.

• Like 7

Maybe JT knows he’s not the same after the injury, in which case he needs to secure a new contract before it becomes obvious to everyone else. The situation stinks because we should be discussing AR and the beginning of the Steichen era. Instead, it’s all about pouty Jonathan Taylor, whom the Colts have already made a very rich man. 

• Like 1