Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. Shoot just give him the Jacobs deal and shake hands and get to work. 

At this point it looks like:

1. Taylor wants a new deal done yesterday. 

2. The Colts say, show us your healthy and then we'll talk. 

3. Taylor doesn't want to show us he's healthy until he has a deal.

And so the wheel continues to spin round and round...

I would just send taylor a copy of the contract he signed every day in the mail until he gets the point lol.  Maybe circle the length of the contract to point it out for him.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@csmoparposted the same thing, it is a great counter to my thinking because others are going to post that too, but a lot of players that are real unhappy, just flat out say they want out. 

I think that is more on the personality of the player than the norm. 

Rodgers and Wilson for example have no problem talking to media. 

Some would rather have their agent talk for them, some are fine speaking for themselves. Everybody's different. 

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

I would just send taylor a copy of the contract he signed every day in the mail until he gets the point lol.

In a perfect world he should play out his contract. It is a rookie contract though at 4.6 million. The league has changed a lot compared to 15 years ago where players almost always played out any contract they have. If Taylor was in the middle of a great 5 year deal and it was year 2 and he was complaining wanting more money, that would be way different. I would then say Taylor is dead wrong and being greedy. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think that is more on the personality of the player than the norm. 

Rodgers and Wilson for example have no problem talking to media. 

Some would rather have their agent talk for them, some are fine speaking for themselves. Everybody's different. 

If it was me, I would tell the media I want out and will never play another down for said team if I was really unhappy. Barry Sanders did it with the Lions. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In a perfect world he should play out his contract. It is a rookie contract though at 4.6 million. The league has changed a lot compared to 15 years ago where players almost always played out any contract they have. If Taylor was in the middle of a great 5 year deal and it was year 2 and he was complaining wanting more money, that would be way different. I would then say Taylor is dead wrong and being greedy. 

It wouldn't be different.  He is under contract.   Sadly I guess that doesn't mean much these days.

• Like 2

Other than the Dolphins, media keeps saying there is a 2nd team. I am watching the NFL Network right now and they are saying it again. I am guessing the Bills? If the Bills got Taylor, they would probably be favored to win the SB. That would also screw my prediction up of the Jets winning that division because I think the Bills would then.

• Like 1

Derrick Henry, who is not a true APB, like JT, got $25 mil. GTD in a 4 year $50 mil. contract.

Give JT a 4 year $40 mil. contract with the same $25 mil. GTD and there is a good chance he will take it, IMO. That would be close to his true value to the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If it was me, I would tell the media I want out and will never play another down for said team if I was really unhappy. Barry Sanders did it with the Lions. 

Barry was straight up done with football. I don't think money was much of a thought for him. 

I do think that this is 100% money related for Taylor. If he really wanted out that badly of Indy, I guess he could try the Carson Palmer route with the Bengals. Just straight up threaten to retire and refuse to play. 

In fact, the more I think about it, perhaps we should look over the history of that situation between the Brown family and Carson. In 2010, he was upset with the direction of the team and asked to be traded. He was immediately turned down. He then refused to show up to training camp and was "semi-retired" while under contract. Eventually, mid-season the Raiders lost Campbell their starting QB and desperately reached out to Cincy. And so they finally traded him to Oakland. 

Could a similar resolution happen here? 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It shouldn't be different, but it is, I say that because this stuff goes on all the time. Not saying it makes it right.

'

I would say what I say to my wife when she says "all the other kids are doing it"... "So, doesn't make it the right thing to do."  Doesn't usually work with her either lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Barry was straight up done with football. I don't think money was much of a thought for him. 

I do think that this is 100% money related for Taylor. If he really wanted out that badly of Indy, I guess he could try the Carson Palmer route with the Bengals. Just straight up threaten to retire and refuse to play. 

In fact, the more I think about it, perhaps we should look over the history of that situation between the Brown family and Carson. In 2010, he was upset with the direction of the team and asked to be traded. He was immediately turned down. He then refused to show up to training camp and was "semi-retired" while under contract. Eventually, mid-season the Raiders lost Campbell their starting QB and desperately reached out to Cincy. And so they finally traded him to Oakland. 

Could a similar resolution happen here? 

Yeah I remember the Carson situation. He ended up having 1 great year with the Cards even. Barry Sanders actually said he wanted to keep playing, that he had a lot left. He retired because Detroit would not trade him and they never gave him enough help to win.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew people would say that but if he wanted traded or was that unhappy, he would have said so. A lot of players have done so in the past. Hell, I remember in basketball years ago Kobe Bryant in an interview said he wanted traded from the Lakers unless they get him help, that was after Shaq left.

He actually said he wanted traded if the Lakers didn't get RID OF Shaq.....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. Shoot just give him the Jacobs deal and shake hands and get to work. 

At this point it looks like:

1. Taylor wants a new deal done yesterday. 

2. The Colts say, show us your healthy and then we'll talk. 

3. Taylor doesn't want to show us he's healthy until he has a deal.

And so the wheel continues to spin round and round...

This.  I still don't understand totally why he (JT and his reps) would think that NOT taking physical exams or proving his health, would be a positive for Taylor..... Why not prove you are good to go? You can still holdout..... But the team most likely to pay you (Indy) would be a heck of a lot more willing to deal with the health ? Taken off the board.....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rookies held out before they ever played a snap back then....

Hello Edge.....

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be a terrible trade for us. I hope you were joking.

I was serious until i looked more into him. I thought he was more of a sack artist then what he is. 

I would trade JT for a sack artist in a heart beat, Derek isn't that apparently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Im thinkn someone in the Colts org leaked the 2nd team news just to get the dolphins to increase their proposal! Doubt there really is a 2nd team though!

Naw. It's all coming from the agent's camp. The Colts don't want Taylor to leave so they're being as quiet as possible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB said:

I was serious until i looked more into him. I thought he was more of a sack artist then what he is. 

I would trade JT for a sack artist in a heart beat, Derek isn't that apparently.

I thought he had more sacks as well but never seen him as a great pass rusher. I looked him up after you posted your OP. I was shocked at how many sacks he has, very little to my surprise. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

It wouldn't be different.  He is under contract.   Sadly I guess that doesn't mean much these days.

He physically signed his current contract.   He owes the Colts to honrr it or he is is not an honest man.

Edited by Shive
Removed abbreviation you've already made clear is cursing towards a player

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That's Latin for... I'm lying. 

I don’t think he lies. He is actually good at what he does. But I do think the agent for Taylor is feeding them a lot of bull.

15 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Im thinkn someone in the Colts org leaked the 2nd team news just to get the dolphins to increase their proposal! Doubt there really is a 2nd team though!

That is very likely 

If I am the GM of our team. I only trade him if I get a 1st round pick in 2024 and either get a good O.Lineman or good CB that is 27 or younger to go with that. Robert Hunt just turned 27 4 days ago, I would take him and a 1st round pick in 2024 for example.

If I don't get that, I keep Taylor and he, the Owner, and I have a long talk in my office about football and maybe getting a deal done. I would still throw him the offer of 3 years/39 Million and guarantee him 25 Million. I could not see him passing that up after all this nonsense. 

You better include his wife in the discussion, LOL.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think your memory is badly playing tricks with you.   The idea that 15 years ago players played out their contracts as opposed to now is 180 degrees backward.   

The new rookie wage scale started in 2011 helped cut down on crazy contract holdouts.   

This current running back situation is separate to everything else and is only a year or two old.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

This.  I still don't understand totally why he (JT and his reps) would think that NOT taking physical exams or proving his health, would be a positive for Taylor..... Why not prove you are good to go? You can still holdout..... But the team most likely to pay you (Indy) would be a heck of a lot more willing to deal with the health ? Taken off the board.....

All this is because his agent is a rectal swab.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dolphins released Myles Gaskin. Wonder if that is a lead up to getting Taylor.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/8/29/23770736/report-dolphins-releasing-rb-myles-gaskin

...The move leaves the Dolphins with Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson Jr., Devon Achane, Salvon Ahmed, and Chris Brooks on the roster as the team’s backs. The team is still exploring a move for star running back Jonathan Taylor, as per Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, but working out a deal with the Indianapolis Colts will be difficult.

It’s unclear if the move to release Gaskin has anything to do with the team’s efforts to trade for Taylor, but it’s hard not to connect the dots. In the event that the Dolphins landed Taylor, it’d be unlikely that team would keep seven running backs on the roster, and few more names would likely see the chopping block. Rookie Chris Brooks has been a joy to watch in preseason, but one would assume he’d be one of the first names to go.

• Like 1

If I am the GM of our team. I only trade him if I get a 1st round pick in 2024 and either get a good O.Lineman or good CB that is 27 or younger to go with that. Robert Hunt just turned 27 4 days ago, I would take him and a 1st round pick in 2024 for example.

If I don't get that, I keep Taylor and he, the Owner, and I have a long talk in my office about football and maybe getting a deal done. I would still throw him the offer of 3 years/39 Million and guarantee him 25 Million. I could not see him passing that up after all this nonsense. 

The Dolphins aren’t trading a first and it doesn’t appear they’re trading Hunt.  

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your memory is badly playing tricks with you.   The idea that 15 years ago players played out their contracts as opposed to now is 180 degrees backward.   

The new rookie wage scale started in 2011 helped cut down on crazy contract holdouts.   

This current running back situation is separate to everything else and is only a year or two old.  

Yeah... I remember JaMarcus Russell holding out prior to playing his first snap... That was a fun time for Oakland fans I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was talking about the stars, once they signed long term deals they usually played their contracts out without complaining. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Derrick Henry for a RB example. Once they got any long term deal done they have never once complained.  Derrick Henry could be making a bigstink right now that McCaffrey is making more money than he is, a lot more at that but he hasn't at all. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Dolphins aren’t trading a first and it doesn’t appear they’re trading Hunt.  

I pretty much know this, and that is the reason we won't trade him to the Dolphins. 

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought he had more sacks as well but never seen him as a great pass rusher. I looked him up after you posted your OP. I was shocked at how many sacks he has, very little to my surprise. 

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Especially low for being in that defense. Ignore my prior post lol.

• Like 1