Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

6 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Irsay gets a bad reputation because he has a long history of saying and doing wacky things. If he wants better media coverage he needs to act more professional - and quit tweeting some of the crap he tweets 

Why should he? Jim is Jim and he has earned what he does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t know. He isn’t a star or anything. 

He sure seems to think he is.

You don't think the Colts all time season record holder in tackles, after another high volume year this year, won't want more than $3.3m the following year?

• Like 1

The average person cannot speak on someone with a completely different lifestyle.  Someone who makes millions of dollars cannot be grouped in the same issues of someone who makes the normal pay scale.  Both are in different situations, the easiest example would be let’s say taxes.  We can all agree, athletes make much more.  Like I mentioned this previous week when I got a little push back, fans turn on these players so quickly regardless of the situation.  I will agree both sides are wrong in some areas, but both sides also have an equal amount of reasonings behind their statements.  Like Pat said, both sides need to have compromise.  

P.S.  to be fair, put yourself in Taylor’s shoes.  Since coming into the league, your GM preached about paying the players that deserve it.  When it’s your turn, then the philosophy is changed.  

There needs to be a little more Empathy for JT on this issue

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

He sure seems to think he is.

You don't think the Colts all time season record holder in tackles, after another high volume year this year, won't want more than $3.3m the following year?

I could just see him wanting Shaq money if he has another high tackle season. 

puke GIF

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

P.S.  to be fair, put yourself in Taylor’s shoes.  Since coming into the league, your GM preached about paying the players that deserve it.  When it’s your turn, then the philosophy is changed.  

It's not even his turn yet is the thing... His turn would be next season not this one...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2023 at 9:02 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly,  I let him play out the year. If Richardson becomes an elite qb, the rb position can be a rotation of talent. Having an elite and highly paid rb is a luxury they would not need because of the stress Richardson would place on the D.

i feel like taylor is different because of his explosive plays .  you dont wanna run richardson into the ground and have him be our running back .   we need richardson to be here for 15 years you dont do that having him run like lamar jackson.  look at all the injuries running qbs get jackson has been injured 3 years in a row .   you want a mobile QB who throws on the run not running over people like luck was .    in 2021 the passing offense got very cold for long stretches in games and taylor saved so many games by hitting big runs and averaging 5.5 yards a run .   

do you honestly believe we can get the same production with deon jackson and hull ?   i still believe running games are important to balance out offenses .    for 13 million a year i would love to see taylor signed for 3 or 4 years  . we have a rookie QB who will struggle for long stretches in games we need a running game to get through those tough moments .

18 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

The average person cannot speak on someone with a completely different lifestyle.  Someone who makes millions of dollars cannot be grouped in the same issues of someone who makes the normal pay scale.  Both are in different situations, the easiest example would be let’s say taxes.  We can all agree, athletes make much more.  Like I mentioned this previous week when I got a little push back, fans turn on these players so quickly regardless of the situation.  I will agree both sides are wrong in some areas, but both sides also have an equal amount of reasonings behind their statements.  Like Pat said, both sides need to have compromise.  

It’s not his turn yet though…

MPJ isn’t complaining yet.

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

It's not even his turn yet is the thing... His turn would be next season not this one...

That's true, but it's normal to extend a player who's going into his last contract year.

It's interesting how the Colts attitude changed in the last few months.  When they asked Ballard about it he said - you pay your good players.  They even qualified that with - even RBs?  And he repeated that you pay your players that perform.

In this case, the Colts have all the cards.  But they also have the cap and IMHO should sweeten the deal for JT.  

I don't know the inside info, I don't think anyone does.  If JT is asking to reset the market, then he's dreaming.  If he's asking for fair compensation, say what Barkley got, then I think the Colts should work with him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i feel like taylor is different because of his explosive plays .  you dont wanna run richardson into the ground and have him be our running back .   we need richardson to be here for 15 years you dont do that having him run like lamar jackson.  look at all the injuries running qbs get jackson has been injured 3 years in a row .   you want a mobile QB who throws on the run not running over people like luck was .    in 2021 the passing offense got very cold for long stretches in games and taylor saved so many games by hitting big runs and averaging 5.5 yards a run .   

do you honestly believe we can get the same production with deon jackson and hull ?   i still believe running games are important to balance out offenses .    for 13 million a year i would love to see taylor signed for 3 or 4 years  . we have a rookie QB who will struggle for long stretches in games we need a running game to get through those tough moments .

I think Taylor takes it to another level but I won’t pretend that we won’t be just fine without him. Richardsons running ability will make almost any RB back better becaude of how much attention he will get.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I don't know the inside info, I don't think anyone does.  If JT is asking to reset the market, then he's dreaming.  If he's asking for fair compensation, say what Barkley got, then I think the Colts should work with him.

I've read he's asking for 16-20 million. That's what's been thrown around at least. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I've read he's asking for 16-20 million. That's what's been thrown around at least. 

No one is going to pay any RB that.  Especially when they're not a 3rd down back.

10 - 11 for two years would be fair.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

No one is going to pay any RB that.  Especially when they're not a 3rd down back.

10 - 11 for two years would be fair.

I believe that's part of the reason the team isn't really talking to him. From what it sounds like this has been going on for months leading up to training camp between the team and his agent. The agent is demanding that money and the team isn't budging and is essentially saying "prove to us you deserve it this season if you want it". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It really isn’t. That’s why the argument is dumb about providing for family. They should just come out and say I deserve more money and just be honest. I do think there is still something weird with JT agent that we don’t know. Because this is all strange on Taylor’s apart. It almost does look like his agent is trying to get him to a certain team and may already have tampered.

Every time a player asks for more $, this argument gets recycled.

The players deserve every cent they earn. You think it's too much because you compare them to you. They're not you. You can't play football. They're at the top of the food chain, it's not a good argument.

The language might seem off when they say they need to feed their families while they drive supercars and live great lifestyles but they're the ones entertaining you, not the other way around. Those are facts. There's a reason players stay away from commenting about others money. They deserve the money. The bigger question is whether the owners of these teams should have as much money as they do, the billionaires who're not exactly supermen like these athletes are. They're smart enough to keep their mouths shut but the money the owners have makes these players look as broke as many of us are.

Until the society can value water more highly than it values diamonds, we need to accept that these are the standards we have agreed on, directly or otherwise. 

24 minutes ago, Bravo said:

It’s not his turn yet though…

MPJ isn’t complaining yet.

He's a wide receiver, what's there to complain about? He'll get paid in Indy or somewhere else. All business. He knows that for a fact.

JT? Different story entirely. 

Just now, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

I hear you I do, but again both sides have legitimate arguments.  There has to be compromise if this is going to end well which it does not seem that way

I'd say at this point it's too late. I don't agree with trading him right now though. 

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The players deserve every cent they earn. You think it's too much because you compare them to you. They're not you. You can't play football. They're at the top of the food chain, it's not a good argument.

The language might seem off when they say they need to feed their families while they drive supercars and live great lifestyles but they're the ones entertaining you, not the other way around. Those are facts. There's a reason players stay away from commenting about others money. They deserve the money. The bigger question is whether the owners of these teams should have as much money as they do, the billionaires who're not exactly supermen like these athletes are. They're smart enough to keep their mouths shut but the money the owners have makes these players look as broke as many of us are.

Until the society can value water more highly than it values diamonds, we need to accept that these are the standards we have agreed on, directly or otherwise. 

The providing for your family is wrong. They need a better argument. The only ones that have can use this excuse is guys on the bottom of the food chain. For instance Kenny Moore was undrafted so that extension did actually help him provide for his family. In Taylor’s case it’s ridiculous argument.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I believe that's part of the reason the team isn't really talking to him. From what it sounds like this has been going on for months leading up to training camp between the team and his agent. The agent is demanding that money and the team isn't budging and is essentially saying "prove to us you deserve it this season if you want it". 

Which is an absolutely reasonable stance taken by the Colts. I think it's pretty ridiculous to ask for a raise after a season of not producing. He was not an all pro last year. Some act like the 2022 season didn't exist. 

This team and it's players these days make it hard be a fan of them. They don't win very much anymore and they pull shenanigans like this, talk politics or go on Twitter berating fans. Quite tired of it. 

I can not trust JT's goodie-good act anymore, which is apparently exactly that, an act. 

Also to all the people talking about JT being the Colts best offensive player, if that is true, you got serious problems on offense if your running back is your best player. I think a high priced running back should be a luxury. 

Also, some people are exclusively blaming the agent for this whole ordeal as if he just forced himself to represent JT without JT's consent. JT hired this man on his volition. 

I think I'm indifferent to what happens with JT, but eagerly waiting to see how it unfolds. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

I hear you I do, but again both sides have legitimate arguments.  There has to be compromise if this is going to end well which it does not seem that way

The reason this is hard  is both sides are right. Both sides need to come to the table and compromise a little. Irsay needs to give Taylor some security this season and his agent has to meet him in the middle. Instead both sides are acting like toddlers.

• Like 1

Just now, AKB said:

imagine how mad people are gonna be when we trade our best offensive weapon for a 3rd rounder

Sad but it needs to happen. We need to break down the team and start over in terms of our roster. Until we have a franchise QB, WR, EDGE and LT that's what we'll have to keep doing. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Sad but it needs to happen. We need to break down the team and start over in terms of our roster. Until we have a franchise QB, WR, EDGE and LT that's what we'll have to keep doing. 

i hear ya, but the compensation is gonna be low, because we are selling low. 

buy low, sell high, thats how it should go. 

i doubt thats what happens here

15 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

No one is saying they don't deserves millions, clearly the NFL brings in that type of money. What people are saying is that one doesn't need 20 million as opposed to 5 million to take care of their family. 

Also, fans want to win! JT making 16-20 million doesn't exactly put the Colts in a better position to win considering he plays RB.

We understand they want more money (sometimes it is absolutely  warranted), just don't pee on us and say it's rain. 

I want more money all the time when I don't necessarily need it, so I get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i just think people are forgetting that he is coming off an average year and an injury to boot. You can blame the Oline if you wish, and yes they deserve some of the blame. Name    me a player who is coming off a sub par year and injury and is rewarded with an extension? 

here is a problem I have guys

there seems to be a narrative that Taylor can't catch the ball out of the backfield. 

he can, and he does it very well. do you know how many times he was sitting 5 yards over the center after a play-action fake waiting for the pass and a free 5 yards min? I can go back and find it dozens in the film, not just with Ryan but also Wentz.

The ball wasn't being passed to him. 

JT is fast enough and has good enough hands to catch out of the backfield. 

Also, I'm not buying the running QB means we don't need a beast at RB. I don't believe it. 

the argument of cap vs super bowl winners in relation to paying running backs is probably the best argument.

But who really believes we are super bowl bound this year or the next? not I.

You're telling me we can waste tens of millions on QBs that are trash, and not even on the roster, but we can't pay JT? Absurd

4 minutes ago, AKB said:

i hear ya, but the compensation is gonna be low, because we are selling low. 

buy low, sell high, thats how it should go. 

i doubt thats what happens here

It won't be what happens. The market across the board is bad. It's why Ballard isn't even entertaining the idea of a trade right now. The best option for both parties is for Taylor to get his head out of his behind and just play. Continue to be a good teammate and hope that another team becomes desperate either due to FA or injuries and picks him up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The providing for your family is wrong. They need a better argument. The only ones that have can use this excuse is guys on the bottom of the food chain. For instance Kenny Moore was undrafted so that extension did actually help him provide for his family. In Taylor’s case it’s ridiculous argument.

It can come off as insensitive, sure. What I'm saying is that beyond the emotions, the fact is the owners make money that's truly obscene compared to players without actually having the skillset fans pay for. Also, the players are the top of the top and our emotions as fans rarely allows us see their perspective. 

We all had the Kenny Moore argument last season too when he was holding out. He was the enemy of the state then. Funny how much he was attacked by fans yet a season later, folks are seeing how badly Moore could have truly behaved if he really was the jerk folks painted him out to be. JT was the shining boy, always smiling, fan fave, the star, now he's the bad boy. Fans have to learn to shed some of the emotions, it's hard of course but the ire really should be directed to others. As we get older as fans, we should mature and start seeing these things. It's like we want socialism for the players but capitalism for the owners.

One more thing, the often true fact is many of these players are catering to far larger communities than the average fan. Far more hangers-on, far more handouts needed, etc. I cannot bring myself to be mad at how much players make. The day i get sick of it is the day i stop watching this sport.

I've said my bit on JTs strategy, i think he's going to lose and i think the strategy he has chosen isnt a good one at all. His family? Yeah, that's his personal business, I dont know his life goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

It won't be what happens. The market across the board is bad. It's why Ballard isn't even entertaining the idea of a trade right now. The best option for both parties is for Taylor to get his head out of his behind and just play. Continue to be a good teammate and hope that another team becomes desperate either due to FA or injuries and picks him up. 

i hope not. i really do. 

On 8/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, Nickster said:

I was telling my 17 year old yesterday,(think old man voice), yeah back when we had Peyton we knew we’d win 12, 13, 14 games.  We knew we’d beat everyone in the playoffs until we saw Pitt or NE .

That’s good stuff. I was just telling my 16 year old, who owns two JT jerseys, that I took those Manning years for granted. You got up Sunday morning and expected the Colts to win and they almost always did. Sigh. The good old days. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think the agent is leading Taylor.  I think he’s speaking for Taylor and Taylor is leading himself right now.  To Irsay’s credit he doesn’t seem to be taking this personally and I really believe he wants Taylor out there for the Colts this year and if he performs well will offer him a fair contract to keep him.  It’s just not happening on the timeline Taylor wants and it probably won’t be for the amount he wants.

Exactly. I can’t read an article that doesn’t include how supposedly smart JT is, but I’m also to believe this yahoo of an agent is calling the shots and Taylor is just falling in line? I can see JT letting the agent make one mistake but the agent has posted several things that added fuel to the fire. 

5 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

That’s good stuff. I was just telling my 16 year old, who owns two JT jerseys, that I took those Manning years for granted. You got up Sunday morning and expected the Colts to win and they almost always did. Sigh. The good old days. 

without rain and darkness the sunny days don't hit the same

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

No one is saying they don't deserves millions, clearly the NFL brings in that type of money. What people are saying is that one doesn't need 20 million as opposed to 5 million to take care of their family. 

Also, fans want to win! JT making 16-20 million doesn't exactly put the Colts in a better position to win considering he plays RB.

We understand they want more money (sometimes it is absolutely  warranted), just don't pee on us and say it's rain. 

I want more money all the time when I don't necessarily need it, so I get it. 

I understand the viewpoint and comments can stir emotions but it is odd to me that we get mad about the players but not the owners. It is odd to me that we get mad about the players talking of their families when we dont know what their expenses are. Or that we seem to get savagely mad at folks maximizing their earning ability as if that's not what many of us do or try to do in life. 

hey i just wanted to let you guys know that i love this forum and all the different people that are always on here. I live in ohio currently and i almost never get the chance to talk colts football. Just wanted to say thanks to yall real quick in this thread

• Like 7

Just now, Colt.45 said:

I understand the viewpoint and comments can stir emotions but it is odd to me that we get mad about the players but not the owners. It is odd to me that we get mad about the players talking of their families when we dont know what their expenses are. Or that we seem to get savagely mad at folks maximizing their earning ability as if that's not what many of us do or try to do in life. 

Do we want a socialist society? We want the players to act like socialists for sure.

Oh I'm not on the side of the owners either. I generally dislike anything corporate related because corporations never have our best interests. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

But has that actually changed? There’s been no confirmation of that.