Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

All due respect, my engagements and comments are sincere. There’s a lot of knowledge on this board, including on your posts. But you always play the “these discussions are insincere” card or variation of when you receive pushback. Your best bit is demanding ONLY FACTS from everyone else but opinions are ok for you.

“NINETY NINE percent of the locker room thinks this!!!”

”Really, source?”

”Could be 97, 96, who cares.” 
“Source?” 
“You’re insincere. I wrote about the NFL.” 

You’re not the least bit sincere.   All of your posts toward me are an attempt to engage in a fight.   All of your posts are an opportunity to insult me.  You don’t miss an opportunity.   

So consider me closed for business to you.  I’ll pick and choose my spots if I ever decide to respond.  

Enjoy the website.  

I’ve seen multiple times where JT was a pass catcher rb. Just because they don’t throw it to him like they do to cmc and kamara, doesn’t mean he can’t catch or isn’t a pass catcher either. Which blows my mind seeing people say he isn’t one. People must have forgot all the plays he has made while catching passes out of the backfield. But still in the end if I’m the colts I’m wasting his career and franchise tagging him if he wants to sit out and call his bluff. He can sit but you will sit two + years if you do that and waste away.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He could get 2000 rushing  and as silly as that sounds, it would probably diminish his value. Teams would look at his work load out of college his 1800 yard year and then say a 2000 yard year (not going to happen I know) and would be more fearful of wear and tear. It is just the market for rbs has gone south and honestly with all these backs excelling coming straight out of college and to boot being low draft picks, this is just the beginning. The only way Taylor gets that 2nd contract that he wants is to put up numbers like 1300 yards rushing with say 800 yards catching. He has to show that he is special.   I also think that Taylor is so adamant about wanting a new contract is because I  think he knows that he is not going to be put in a position to be the  Kamara and McAfferey's  in this offence under Steichen. Steichen probably had Taylor slotted for specific plays and in those crucial passing downs, Taylor may have been riding the bench. Just my hunch. I think if this year played out and Taylor would have played without all these noise, his numbers may have just been so so!! Taylor is very bright and maybe her read the tea leaves.

I mentioned that there seems to be an inverse relationship between high touch production for RBs that don't exist with other positions.  I agreee.  400 touch 2000 yd season makes Taylor less likely to get a longer term deal.

25 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I’ve seen multiple times where JT was a pass catcher rb. Just because they don’t throw it to him like they do to cmc and kamara, doesn’t mean he can’t catch or isn’t a pass catcher either. Which blows my mind seeing people say he isn’t one. People must have forgot all the plays he has made while catching passes out of the backfield. But still in the end if I’m the colts I’m wasting his career and franchise tagging him if he wants to sit out and call his bluff. He can sit but you will sit two + years if you do that and waste away.

Taylor has never caught more than 40 passes in a season. 2022: McCafferey had 85. Kamara had 60. Eckler had 107

3 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

Taylor has never caught more than 40 passes in a season. 2022: McCafferey had 85. Kamara had 60. Eckler had 107

People also said Hynes should get more touches on pass plays.  Instead he wasn't used effectively.   Was it JT's fault or the play calling/QBs?

3 minutes ago, Never_Quit said:

Doesn’t mean he can’t tho, not his fault they run him more then sending him out for passes. He can get 80 catches also if they planned their game around him doing that. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

He hasn't demonstrated the ability to catch or block on every play where he is not running it.  He has to actually have done it in order to get paid.   Nobody is going to pay a RB on spec,

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its looking like if he plays for the Colts, its going to be for simply accruing his needed time.  No, I would not hold a roster spot for a player who shows up only for that reason.

If he doesn't report and play, what team would trade meaningful capital for a RB who is not going to play under his current contract or shows up to simply accrue time.?

Like I said before, the only teams that I could see that would want JT are teams that are looking to rent his skills for one season.  If JT could be sold that he will be the feature RB for a team like BUF or NYJ that could use one for a playoff run, it might change his attitude to where he shows up to actually play hard and not just to accrue time.

There are about 4 or 5 teams that fit that mold?  If no trade can be worked out with those teams, I'm assuming no trade is possible, and then the Colts are back to my first sentence. 

They aren't going to cut him.    Where do you come up with these scenarios?  If they thought JT was a terrible fit for this offense they would have traded him months ago

• Like 2

Just now, DougDew said:

But doing it a few times doesn't earn the pay.  Nobody is going to pay a RB on spec, that he can catch or block on every play where he is not running it.

There are more than a few times he’s done it. Give him the ball more in the passing game and he will.  Not his fault the game plan isn’t revolved 100% around him like the other teams. He can do it too if the team made it a focus to do it like cmc and ekeler kamara

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

There are more than a few times he’s done it. Give him the ball more in the passing game and he will.  Not his fault the game plan isn’t revolved 100% around him like the other teams. He can do it too if the team made it a focus to do it like cmc and ekeler kamara

Exactly what I've been saying.   JT has 130 career targets.   CMC had 108 last season alone

• Like 1

Does anyone really think if JT was to get cleared, that he wouldn't just fake a different injury to stop playing again?

Good thing is it is only $4.3m so even if that's the case it does hurt us too much, if he does.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Does anyone really think if JT was to get cleared, that he wouldn't just fake a different injury to stop playing again?

Good thing is it is only $4.3m so even if that's the case it does hurt us too much, if he does.

At this point, anything is possible

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They aren't going to cut him.    Where do you come up with these scenarios?  If they thought JT was a terrible fit for this offense they would have traded him months ago

He was hurt months ago, and his value diminished. 

If he doesn't play or contribute what they expect.  I assume they will want the roster spot for another RB that they won't have to put on the inactive list every game day.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

It would be in his best interest to have a big season.    If he doesn't play,  it only hurts him next year

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Today's media at its best.The headline is incorrect.

Coach Steichen did not say When he's cleared by medical staff, he'll play. He said,"When he's cleared by medical staff, he should be out here." Big difference.

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

It would be in his best interest to have a big season.    If he doesn't play,  it only hurts him next year

I agree that's logical, but nothing that's been going on has seemed very logical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Wouldn’t be surprised, but that would be okay with me cuz I’d just tag him for however long to waste him away if he wants to pull that crap.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

He was hurt months ago, and his value diminished.

If he doesn't play or contribute what they expect.  I assume they will want the roster spot for another RB that they won't have to put on the inactive list every game day.

They could put him on IR and do this all again next year.   

Just now, tweezy32 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised, but that would be okay with me cuz I’d just tag him for however long to waste him away if he wants to pull that crap.

Me too, tagging him and letting him sit if he chooses to.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

He can do it too if the team made it a focus to do it like cmc and ekeler kamara

That would be paying him on spec.

Why do you think the heads of the Colts, Ballard and Irsay, say to "let see how it goes"?

5 hours ago, RollerColt said:

That's the crazy part. Everyone knows we have the space to do it, and we probably would've done it had he just waited and let things play out. Irsay is usually pretty generous in taking care of his star offensive players. 

Depends on what Irsay said. The media is playing it out like his trade request right after his conversation with Irsay. RB holdouts are not new - Chris Johnson in his Titans' years, Zeke with the Cowboys, Ekeler with the Chargers, and now JT...all that needed to be said was to assure him things will get done and that we will keep negotiating.

Maybe that is why he didn't want to wait, after not hearing what he wanted from Irsay?? Just curious.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Depends on what Irsay said. The media is playing it out like his trade request right after his conversation with Irsay. RB holdouts are not new - Chris Johnson in his Titans' years, Zeke with the Cowboys, Ekeler with the Chargers, and now JT...all that needed to be said was to assure him things will get done and that we will keep negotiating.

Maybe that is why he didn't want to wait, after not hearing what he wanted from Irsay?? Just curious.

JT's role in this rebuilding year is to take the heat off of AR.

IOW, from JTs position, he's to be the punching bag this year as to protect the Colts investment they made in AR for the future.  Where JT would probably be gone after this year, seeking a new contract after playing that role.

He  sees his role, and how he would probably be strung along at $4.5M?   Maybe he'll figure its worth $4.5M to keep the heat off of AR and show up to TC. 

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

that he wouldn't just fake a different injury to stop playing again?

He wont get away with that for an entire season.  The team would have doctors clear him and at that point he has to play or is officially holding out and there are rules about that.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

IOW, from JTs position, he's to be the punching bag this year as to protect the Colts investment they made in AR for the future.  Where JT would probably be gone after this year, seeking a new contract after playing that role.

He  sees his role, and how he would probably be strung along at $4.5M?   Maybe he'll figure its worth $4.5M to keep the heat off of AR and show up to TC. 

but the thing is every running back wants the ball. every skill position wants the ball. 

i doubt he views it as being just a pawn to take heat off AR. at the end of the day it seems like he wants a record deal, more than any other RB right now, and it isn't gonna happen. timing is bad. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He is at training camp

7 minutes ago, AKB said:

but the thing is every running back wants the ball. every skill position wants the ball. 

i doubt he views it as being just a pawn to take heat off AR. at the end of the day it seems like he wants a record deal, more than any other RB right now, and it isn't gonna happen. timing is bad. 

The problem we are in was set when Frank was fired and SS was hired.  Its just come to a head now because the facts have arrived.....JT had his surgery and TC is here.  There was no reason for this situation to come to a head before TC.

The big issue is that SS has no use for a RB with enough talent to require $10M/year.  Philly just let Sanders walk for $6.5M.

Would JT play for $6.5M, and does SS want a RB that's not as all around as Sanders?  NO.

And JT knows the Colts don't want to pay a RB more than that.  So he's not going to jeopardize his career by suffering an injury by playing the one-year role of supporting the superhero so that guy can be the franchise.

I don't know where this ends.  But the problem is that SS doesn't want a $10M/year RB.  That's the issue, and JT knows it and he doesn't want to be strung along for one season.

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He hasn't demonstrated the ability to catch or block on every play where he is not running it.  He has to actually have done it in order to get paid.   Nobody is going to pay a RB on spec,

It is funny but I actually think Pittman may not be a Colt after next year and his situation is quite the opposite of Taylor. The wr market has exploded and Pittman's starting point maybe 20 million. Do the Colts sign him? I don't think they will because I think Ballard will view that as an overpay. He may get that some where else but I am not sure the Colts would match  any offer.  U don't mind over paying for great players but over playing for good players will bite you in the butt.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The problem we are in was set when Frank was fired and SS was hired.  Its just come to a head now because the facts have arrived.....JT had his surgery and TC is here.  There was no reason for this situation to come to a head before TC.

The big issue is that SS has no use for a RB with enough talent to require $10M/year.  Philly just let Sanders walk for $6.5M.

Would JT play for $6.5M, and does SS want a RB that's not as all around as Sanders?  NO.

And JT knows the Colts don't want to pay a RB more than that.  SO he's not going to jeopardize his career by suffering an injury by playing the role of supporting the superhero on his way to being the franchise.

I don't know where this ends.  But the problem is that SS doesn't want a $10M/year RB.  That's the issue, and JT knows it.

In what world is Sanders a more well rounded back than JT?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The big issue is that SS has no use for a RB with enough talent to require $10M/year

He isnt making that this year either, its really not an issue yet.  They will have him play out the year and come up with a plan for him next year.  

They have no reason to cut him now, he isnt making a fortune.  I doubt big trade offers are going to come in but they will listen if they do

He cant just sit out, he wont hit free agency if he does that.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It is funny but I actually think Pittman may not be a Colt after next year and his situation is quite the opposite of Taylor. The wr market has exploded and Pittman's starting point maybe 20 million. Do the Colts sign him? I don't think they will because I think Ballard will view that as an overpay. He may get that some where else but I am not sure the Colts would match  any offer.  U don't mind over paying for great players but over playing for good players will bite you in the butt.

The only way he don’t come back I think is pierce gets over 1k yards and colts are able to get Harrison junior. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And JT knows the Colts don't want to pay a RB more than that.  So he's not going to jeopardize his career by suffering an injury by playing the one-year role of supporting the superhero so that guy can be the franchise.

I don't know where this ends.  But the problem is that SS doesn't want a $10M/year RB.  That's the issue, and JT knows it and he doesn't want to be strung along for one season.

i agree with everything you're saying pretty much, except the supporting the superhero bit. 

JT wants 30 touches a game. It's what scares a defense. He just doesn't wanna do it for 6.5M and that has nothing to do with AR being the quarterback. 

it does have to do with SS like you have stated though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He isnt making that this year either, its really not an issue yet.  They will have him play out the year and come up with a plan for him next year.  

They have no reason to cut him now, he isnt making a fortune.  I doubt big trade offers are going to come in but they will listen if they do

He cant just sit out, he wont hit free agency if he does that.

The Colts want the contract terminated by the New League Year.  They are not going to keep this going into next summer's TC.

They've got a young superhero to rally around, promote, Symbolize the horsehoe, etc.   JT is not in the plans unless he'll be happy role-playing at about $6-7M in perpetuity.