Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Caleb Williams bypass the ‘24 draft?

His father says yes.   In a story I read this week,  his father says he doesn’t understand why the worst team in the league is rewarded with the top pick.  Called it backwards.   

Says he’s been advised that even if his son does come out, he should tell the team with the top pick (perhaps Arizona) that his son will never play for that team and encourage that team to trade the rights to the pick to a better team.   Called it an Eli Manning move.

Im sure this won’t be the last we hear about this.   I think I saw this briefly referenced on the Colts page, but wanted to put this here for more readers. 

On 9/17/2023 at 5:14 AM, NewColtsFan said:

His father says yes.   In a story I read this week,  his father says he doesn’t understand why the worst team in the league is rewarded with the top pick.  Called it backwards.   

Says he’s been advised that even if his son does come out, he should tell the team with the top pick (perhaps Arizona) that his son will never play for that team and encourage that team to trade the rights to the pick to a better team.   Called it an Eli Manning move.

Im sure this won’t be the last we hear about this.   I think I saw this briefly referenced on the Colts page, but wanted to put this here for more readers. 

His dad might even wonder why his son isn't enshrined in Canton already!  :lol:

Worst team picks first because if your son is really awesome, he should make it a much better team in no time 

I think his dad doesn't understand that even worst teams in the NFL aren't that apart from other teams, the main issue is there aren't many great QBs in the league or college that half of NFL teams would always be searching for their franchise QB. 

And that, Sir, is why the worst teams pick the best prospects in the NFL first, so that the parity is not that bigger between the teams. Just ask him to get drafted and prove his worth, make the team better and if they don't make the team better around him, then he can ask to get traded. 

• Like 2

I can only think of one player who was draft eligible who actually sat out the whole year and re-entered the draft(former Colt Craig Erickson, drafted by Philly and sat out and drafted the next year by Tampa. Not including Bo Jackson because according to him he was going to close the door on football). 

I think it's a lot of talk right now, and come this time next year Caleb will be playing for the team that drafts him in the 1st regardless if it is traded for or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Personally, I'm against this.  It's a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right.  Be glad to be drafted.  If you don't like the team, play out your contract til you're a FA.  Elway pulled that % w/ Colts, Eli pulled it as well.  I think it is a horrible thing to do.  JMO

I disagree. It is probably the only time a player has total leverage. Once he goes to the NFL, he ends up on the worst team and usually disguarded 4 years later because the structure of that team is a disaster from the GM to the coaches. He can sit there and say to the Bears that if they pick him up, he goes back to college. Now the Bears would still pick him and  then trade him to a team that Williams covets. I say go for it. I would actually love to see it happen. Could u imagine if say the top 10 players or so did this? It would throw a wrench into the draft and make it obsolete. For example. Let's say Harrison was picked in the top 5. He says to say AArizona hat he will only play for the Colts like his dad. Arizona is kinda behind the 8 ball. Sure they can play hard ball but can they go into 2024 with a top 3 pick sitting on the bench refusing to play? I am actually shocked that more players haven't done this.  If Williams does this, all it would take is a couple more and the draft is in serious trouble.

On 9/19/2023 at 11:03 AM, ColtV said:

I can only think of one player who was draft eligible who actually sat out the whole year and re-entered the draft(former Colt Craig Erickson, drafted by Philly and sat out and drafted the next year by Tampa. Not including Bo Jackson because according to him he was going to close the door on football). 

I think it's a lot of talk right now, and come this time next year Caleb will be playing for the team that drafts him in the 1st regardless if it is traded for or not. 

It would be quite similar to players siting out bowl games. It was shocking when one player did it. However, it is now almost an epidemic lol. I would live to see it happen just because I would love to see Goodell talk crap about the integrity of the game. U know the integrity of the Pats, Arizona and past Washington owner.

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It would be quite similar to players siting out bowl games. It was shocking when one player did it. However, it is now almost an epidemic lol. I would live to see it happen just because I would love to see Goodell talk crap about the integrity of the game. U know the integrity of the Pats, Arizona and past Washington owner.

It's an incredibly short-sighted idea too because if you were the player and said "well I don't want to go to a bad franchise" if you're still that great of a player you're still going to be in the top 5 and almost certainly a bad team the next year so are you going to then run through all your college eligibility and sit out a year without getting paid???

• Like 1

I would think Joe Burrow would have created some extra incentive for these kids. Yeah he went to a really cruddy run franchise, but he came out getting paid a freaking quarter of a billion dollars... 

Go out, get drafted, play your heart out and then get paid. 

5 hours ago, ColtV said:

It's an incredibly short-sighted idea too because if you were the player and said "well I don't want to go to a bad franchise" if you're still that great of a player you're still going to be in the top 5 and almost certainly a bad team the next year so are you going to then run through all your college eligibility and sit out a year without getting paid???

short team pain for long term gain

22 hours ago, ColtV said:

Look at great college qbs that have gone in the top 5 and went to horrible organizations. A lot of qbs picked in the top 5 flame out and I would put a lot of the blame on the organizations. For example, lets say that Williams goes to the Bears.  They clean house and bring in an new  unproven coach and GM. He plays a couple of years and gets destroyed. He shows no growth and gets both physically and mentally destroyed because of the poor coaching and not being surrounded by talent. So, you have a shell of a player still on his rookie contract and 4 years later he is labeled a bust. A team may take a chance on him if for example the Bears clean house again and he is released. Chances are he never comes close to his potential  and his earning power is greatly reduced. Now, if he is able to pick a team where he feels he will flourish and he can make it to a 2nd contract, his earning power is greatly increased and sitting out a year is not wasted.  Plus if the Bears, for example drafted him, he could demand a trade.  There is a lot to lose by going to the wrong team financially and overall growth of the player. There is a waste land of qbs that have been destroyed by bad organizations. Its like coming out of Harvard with a law degree and graduating in the top 5. That lawyer gets to go the top law firm.   He  knows that if he picks the business with the poor business structure, he will not excel and his value will be greatly dimished. I know the draft is different where the worse team gets a chance at the top talent. I just think that players should be treated a little different. I am all for changing the draft. I actually think that if you are picking in say the top 5 or 10 one year, you get bumped out of the top 10 the next year. For example if the Bears pick #1 in 2024, the highest they could pick would be 11 in 2025. I think continually rewarding bad teams with the best players is so dumb. They are wasting all this talent by going to crap orgs. Just my thoughts. You shouldn't be rewarded year after year with the best talent and nothing to show for it 5 years later. Your job is to groom and nurture these young super stars and all these crap teams do is destroy their careers and earning power.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Caleb Williams is a Junior, not a Senior, he might very well wait another year to come out if USC doesn't win it all. He may want to stay to have a chance at a National Championship. If he stays at USC, he would be doing nothing wrong.

i doubt USC has a chance at the title. They play in weak division and don't have the defense to go up against Georgia and other loaded teams. I think the reason he goes back is because he will say he is not going to a team like the Bears. I think, he is going to pull an Eli and all the power to him.

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i doubt USC has a chance at the title. They play in weak division and don't have the defense to go up against Georgia and other loaded teams. I think the reason he goes back is because he will say he is not going to a team like the Bears. I think, he is going to pull an Eli and all the power to him.

Point is, he can go back and there would be nothing wrong about it - that is his decision as a Junior. Also the Pac-12 is loaded with good teams = Oregon, Washington, and Utah. They are all top 20 teams, that isn't weak. I have been watching a lot of college football this year and those teams are explosive. Oregon is a machine.

Oregon and Washington are both top 10 teams actually.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Point is, he can go back and there would be nothing wrong about it - that is his decision as a Junior. Also the Pac-12 is loaded with good teams = Oregon, Washington, and Utah. They are all top 20 teams, that isn't weak. I have been watching a lot of college football this year and those teams are explosive. Oregon is a machine.

Oregon and Washington are both top 10 teams actually.

Those divisions as you say are loaded. However, if they went up against the true power houses in the top 5, I bet they get crushed. I think the top 5 is in a different tier. Just my thoughts

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those divisions as you say are loaded. However, if they went up against the true power houses in the top 5, I bet they get crushed. I think the top 5 is in a different tier. Just my thoughts

I think right now, Oregon can beat anyone. JMO. USC maybe can beat anyone as well because of their QB.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Georgia isn't the same, they struggled with Auburn this past Saturday and Alabama has already lost, so kiss them goodbye. Michigan and Ohio St will play at the end, the loser will be out of the playoffs. It is only 4 teams that get in.

i thought it expanded this year to more than 4 teams>?

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i thought it expanded this year to more than 4 teams>?

No that is next year. Still 4 this year. I wish it was 8, that would be the perfect number. 8 because the regular season still means something if a team does slip up and lose, 8 because that gives 4 other teams a chance at winning it all. 

On 9/17/2023 at 2:49 PM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Personally, I'm against this.  It's a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right.  Be glad to be drafted.  If you don't like the team, play out your contract til you're a FA.  Elway pulled that % w/ Colts, Eli pulled it as well.  I think it is a horrible thing to do.  JMO

NO, it is a priority to take care of yourself and your family. The NFL cares nothing about the players. It  pays them well  but will throw them away at a moments notice. This line that it is a privilege to play in the NFL  is so out dated and why is it such a privilege anyways?  A player sacrifices his body and other things to make it at this level. For many of them it is there life long goal of making it to the NFL and why should they waste it being drafted by a dumpster of an organization? Do you think it was a privilege to be drafted by the Jags all those years? Going to a dysfunctional organization and wasting their careers? I think not!! I just picked the Jags but there are plenty more lol.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No that is next year. Still 4 this year. I wish it was 8, that would be the perfect number. 8 because the regular season still means something if a team does slip up and lose, 8 because that gives 4 other teams a chance at winning it all. 

College is kind of a joke. It has become a pro league at this point. I have said to my friends for years that I would never go up against the NFL with a new pro league like the XFL. If I was a billionaire, I would have developed a league to compete with colleges. I would have had like 14 teams or so in the biggest college markets. I would have paid my players a salary and paid for them to go to school if they wished. I think it would have been successful because now it has changed in terms of actually paying players. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

His father is laying the foundation for a big move on draft day. No doubt Caleb has let his father leak this info putting teams on notice at the top 2 positions. This is going to give immense power to Caleb and if the Bears, for example are picking number 1, they better have a great head coach hired or he is probably going to say next!! If you have followed Caleb, he will have no problem pulling an Eli move. What would be funny is if Williams and Maye both pulled a power move. Wow, wouldn't that pull the rug from under the NFL? They would lose control of the draft moving forward. I would like to see it just so  I could see Goodell at the podium and the look on his face.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

College is kind of a joke. It has become a pro league at this point. I have said to my friends for years that I would never go up against the NFL with a new pro league like the XFL. If I was a billionaire, I would have developed a league to compete with colleges. I would have had like 14 teams or so in the biggest college markets. I would have paid my players a salary and paid for them to go to school if they wished. I think it would have been successful because now it has changed in terms of actually paying players. 

That idea doesn't sound to bad actually. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That idea doesn't sound to bad actually. 

lol...thanks. All it would have taken was some of these 5 star recruits to sign with these teams and then the gloves were off. Much like the USFL and I think you could compete with colleges as I think a lot of the players coming out of high school would actually prefer not to go to school and just play ball. Could you imagine if say Luck was coming out of high school say 10 years ago?  I know some players like Luck wanted to go to an academic school. I wouldn't have even had a draft. It would all be free agency and anyone could sign anyone coming out of high school. Some players still would want to go to a college, say like Luck, as they had preferred school.  Maybe you have these teams close to a high end academic schools so  that way you could also attract the guys who did want a serious education? You have a limited number of teams and I think it would work as would free agency. You are not like competing with 31 other teams for that franchise guy. Limited number of teams would guarantee that the draft really wouldn't matter and it would be a fair system. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

NO, it is a priority to take care of yourself and your family. The NFL cares nothing about the players. It  pays them well  but will throw them away at a moments notice. This line that it is a privilege to play in the NFL  is so out dated and why is it such a privilege anyways?  A player sacrifices his body and other things to make it at this level. For many of them it is there life long goal of making it to the NFL and why should they waste it being drafted by a dumpster of an organization? Do you think it was a privilege to be drafted by the Jags all those years? Going to a dysfunctional organization and wasting their careers? I think not!! I just picked the Jags but there are plenty more lol.

So, by your logic, every player should do this.  Then only a few good teams will ever get good players.  The draft is done in inverse from records to create parity in the league.  Otherwise, the Cowboys, Raiders, NY Jets, NY Giants (BIG markets) would be the only teams with a realistic chance to win a SB.  How many last to first finishes from season to season have happened?  What you suggest about taking care of yourself and family is something I agree with, but that is what free agency is intended for.  Is it completly fair?  No.  Should it be?  Yes.  But reality is a tough pill for people to swallow.  And, YES, it is a privilege to play in the NFL.  Look at the numbers.  How many people actually play in the NFL?  How many people tryout to be in the NFL?  If a player gets drafted by a cruddy organization, then don't re-sign with them.  And let's be honest here, this truly only affects the very talented players as they are the only ones that would be franchise tagged and their rookie contracts extended.  AGAIN JMO.

2 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

So, by your logic, every player should do this.  Then only a few good teams will ever get good players.  The draft is done in inverse from records to create parity in the league.  Otherwise, the Cowboys, Raiders, NY Jets, NY Giants (BIG markets) would be the only teams with a realistic chance to win a SB.  How many last to first finishes from season to season have happened?  What you suggest about taking care of yourself and family is something I agree with, but that is what free agency is intended for.  Is it completly fair?  No.  Should it be?  Yes.  But reality is a tough pill for people to swallow.  And, YES, it is a privilege to play in the NFL.  Look at the numbers.  How many people actually play in the NFL?  How many people tryout to be in the NFL?  If a player gets drafted by a cruddy organization, then don't re-sign with them.  And let's be honest here, this truly only affects the very talented players as they are the only ones that would be franchise tagged and their rookie contracts extended.  AGAIN JMO.

Absolutely. The draft is antiquated.  I as well as u r able to go to any employer when u finish college. I feel it should be the same for these young players. Once they go to the NFL, they r the property of that team for roughly 7 years with little chance of movement. Not saying I am right orvu r wrong. Thst is just my view on the topic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Absolutely. The draft is antiquated.  I as well as u r able to go to any employer when u finish college. I feel it should be the same for these young players. Once they go to the NFL, they r the property of that team for roughly 7 years with little chance of movement. Not saying I am right orvu r wrong. Thst is just my view on the topic.

Would be awful for teams like the colts and pacers, we would never get the top players ever again.

The leagues wouldnt be competitive like that with 30+ teams.  For teams in Indiana to have chance we need there to be a draft

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Would be awful for teams like the colts and pacers, we would never get the top players ever again.

The leagues wouldnt be competitive like that with 30+ teams.  For teams in Indiana to have chance we need there to be a draft

I think what people have to remember is this. U would still have the cap, so teams really couldn't just load up on talent. I think people would surprised how it could work.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:13 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree. It is probably the only time a player has total leverage. Once he goes to the NFL, he ends up on the worst team and usually disguarded 4 years later because the structure of that team is a disaster from the GM to the coaches. He can sit there and say to the Bears that if they pick him up, he goes back to college. Now the Bears would still pick him and  then trade him to a team that Williams covets. I say go for it. I would actually love to see it happen. Could u imagine if say the top 10 players or so did this? It would throw a wrench into the draft and make it obsolete. For example. Let's say Harrison was picked in the top 5. He says to say AArizona hat he will only play for the Colts like his dad. Arizona is kinda behind the 8 ball. Sure they can play hard ball but can they go into 2024 with a top 3 pick sitting on the bench refusing to play? I am actually shocked that more players haven't done this.  If Williams does this, all it would take is a couple more and the draft is in serious trouble.

He can't go back to college after he makes himself eligible for the draft. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He can't go back to college after he makes himself eligible for the draft. 

I know, the player has to sit out a year, however that wouke never happen. If for example Williams refused to walk to the podium after being picked by the Bears. A deal to trade him would eventually be done.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I know, the player has to sit out a year, however that wouke never happen. If for example Williams refused to walk to the podium after being picked by the Bears. A deal to trade him would eventually be done.

Agreed.  But going back to college is not an option at that point

On 10/9/2023 at 11:37 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

U would still have the cap, so teams really couldn't just load up on talent. I think people would surprised how it could work.

It wouldnt work for the pacers, they have never once signed a free agent that went on to make an all star team.  They probably couldnt be competitive with no draft

On 9/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Per multiple sources, the representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft.

Get your popcorn ready. This is going to be fun!!!!

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Per multiple sources, the representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft.

Get your popcorn ready. This is going to be fun!!!!

Who reported this?    I’m going to guess that no team will give CW any ownership of the team.    That’s hard enough to get after you’ve had a hugely successful 15-year career.    And he’d want it coming out pf college?

Again, what media outlet is reporting this?   

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who reported this?    I’m going to guess that no team will give CW any ownership of the team.    That’s hard enough to get after you’ve had a hugely successful 15-year career.    And he’d want it coming out pf college?

Again, what media outlet is reporting this?   

NFL Owners can’t be players without a 75% of the other league Owners approving it.  That’s a long standing rule.  That would never happen because if a rookie got that on his contract what on earth do you think players like Patrick Mahomes would ask for?

• Thanks 1