Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Caleb Williams bypass the ‘24 draft?

Last week the guy I am listening to now on CBS sports radio said, Caleb Williams was the greatest QB ever in college football history. Yes he said better than Peyton, Joe  Burrow, Tim Tebow, Andrew Luck, John Elway, etc.. um, NO. Regarding just college, Tebow was even better. Everytime Caleb plays a ranked team he get dusted. Michael Pennix looks way better and more pro ready. So does Drake Maye.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last week the guy I am listening to now on CBS sports radio said, Caleb Williams was the greatest QB ever in college football history. Yes he said better than Peyton, Joe  Burrow, Tim Tebow, Andrew Luck, John Elway, etc.. um, NO. Regarding just college, Tebow was even better. Everytime Caleb plays a ranked team he get dusted. Michael Pennix looks way better and more pro ready. So does Drake Maye.

I will follow this up by saying, I do think Caleb Williams can be the real deal. He is a great college QB, but some of these people acting like he walks on water is insane. IMO, Michael Penix look like he could easily be a good Pro.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who reported this?    I’m going to guess that no team will give CW any ownership of the team.    That’s hard enough to get after you’ve had a hugely successful 15-year career.    And he’d want it coming out pf college?

Again, what media outlet is reporting this?   

Profootball talk. Pretty legit website

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it is.   Very legit.    But scroll back up and look at the post from Go Colts 1888.   He explains why it’s illegal for a player to be a part owner.    Not happening.   

I agree. It just goes to my  prediction that this kid won't be afraid of pulling an Eli if he doesn't like the situation. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it is.   Very legit.    But scroll back up and look at the post from Go Colts 1888.   He explains why it’s illegal for a player to be a part owner.    Not happening.   

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0eroFP2aM9vn1VVUZM61SPPUtP6tfkQmYQaqBD5YCdPEAHKFijfy4hvCZp8NGzqw4l&id=100063964350247&post_id=100063964350247_pfbid0eroFP2aM9vn1VVUZM61SPPUtP6tfkQmYQaqBD5YCdPEAHKFijfy4hvCZp8NGzqw4l&mibextid=CDWPTG

On 10/14/2023 at 8:12 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Who reported this?    I’m going to guess that no team will give CW any ownership of the team.    That’s hard enough to get after you’ve had a hugely successful 15-year career.    And he’d want it coming out pf college?

Again, what media outlet is reporting this?   

I do find it funny that Caleb lists the Giants as one of his teams. They will be low in the draft as they are a mess. Get ready for Eli, the sequel. lol. To me, there is no way he goes to the Bears and/or any of the other teams currently in line for the number #1 and/or #2 overall pick.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He can make whatever decision he likes, but they are not without risks.   

First, I doubt he makes more at USC than he does at USC.  

Second,  even if true, he’s putting his son at risk of going back and getting injured or going back and not living up to the hype.  

Right now this is just posturing and bluster.  We’ll know more in January when the deadline for coming out or returning to school arrives. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He can make whatever decision he likes, but they are not without risks.   

First, I doubt he makes more at USC than he does at USC.  

Second,  even if true, he’s putting his son at risk of going back and getting injured or going back and not living up to the hype.  

Right now this is just posturing and bluster.  We’ll know more in January when the deadline for coming out or returning to school arrives. 

My prediction is that he won't go back. A team like the Bears may just go with Maye.  I really expect the Giants to pick in the top 5.  I kind of like this drama. Say Maye does the same thing. This could turn the draft on its head.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is alot  of evaluation between now and the draft. Lincoln Riley qbs don't translate well to the NFL. I expect a lot of teams will throw out the tape of the garbage teams and dissect the tape on games like the one he just had against Notte Dame.   Who knows.  By the time the draft gets here, he may drop a lot. I doubt it, but it's possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There is alot  of evaluation between now and the draft. Lincoln Riley qbs don't translate well to the NFL. I expect a lot of teams will throw out the tape of the garbage teams and dissect the tape on games like the one he just had against Notte Dame.   Who knows.  By the time the draft gets here, he may drop a lot. I doubt it, but it's possible.

As of now the Bears would have the 1st 2 picks. If I was them, I would trade Fields for what I could get = maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick, then I would draft Michael Penix 1st and Marvin Harrison 2nd. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now the Bears would have the 1st 2 picks. If I was them, I would trade Fields for what I could get = maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick, then I would draft Michael Penix 1st and Marvin Harrison 2nd. 

U won't get  2nd rounder for Fields. Fans may think it's all  because of coaching and talent as to why he fails. The league knows he sucks. I bet they would take a qb at one and the LT out of Penn State. They say he is generational . U don't take a generational wr over a genertional LT.

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thank you.   I will join you in your “umm, no” about the CBS Radio guy.   Caleb is not on that level at all.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.   I will join you in your “umm, no” about the CBS Radio guy.   Caleb is not on that level at all.   

Actually, a lot of scouts still rank Elway as the greatest. I watched high-school and college tape and the arm talent is incomparable. 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually, a lot of scouts still rank Elway as the greatest. I watched high-school and college tape and the arm talent is incomparable. 

If someone wants to say Caleb is the best of the most recent quarterbacks (roughly 4-5 years) then I think there’s an argument, but perhaps not a great one.  

But best college QB of all-time?!?   No.  That’s an easy no.   Not even close.  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If someone wants to say Caleb is the best of the most recent quarterbacks (roughly 4-5 years) then I think there’s an argument, but perhaps not a great one.  

But best college QB of all-time?!?   No.  That’s an easy no.   Not even close.  

If he wins the Heisman and u want to call  him the greatest based on awards and stats, then there is an argument for that. Tebow is considered by some as the greatest, yet he never had the skill set to play in the NFL. Now, Caleb has the skill set, but he has blown ip some bad defences and plays in a very friendly qb system. I think by the time the draft comes, it wouldn't surprise me if Maye was taken 1st. I get it the Caleb is looking after his brand and wants to maximize it. However.  I must admit that   I am a little turned off by him and not sure  he is a leader of men. I see a lot of Levi in him. To me there is a big difference between being the greatest college qb and the most highly rated college qb.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If he wins the Heisman and u want to call  him the greatest based on awards and stats, then there is an argument for that. Tebow is considered by some as the greatest, yet he never had the skill set to play in the NFL. Now, Caleb has the skill set, but he has blown ip some bad defences and plays in a very friendly qb system. I think by the time the draft comes, it wouldn't surprise me if Maye was taken 1st. I get it the Caleb is looking after his brand and wants to maximize it. However.  I must admit that   I am a little turned off by him and not sure  he is a leader of men. I see a lot of Levi in him. To me there is a big difference between being the greatest college qb and the most highly rated college qb.  

Forgive me….  I probably should understand the reference, but it sailed past me.   You see a lot of “Levi” in him?   Did you mean Levis from the last draft?  

@NewColtsFanand @Moosejawcolt

ESPN's top 10 college QB's ever as to date are:, they base a lot of this on college accomplishments but also unreal talent in college.

1. Tim Tebow

2. Peyton Manning

3. John Elway

4. Matt Leinart

5. Andrew Luck

6. Tommie Frazier

7. Vince Young

8. Doug Flutie

9. Deshawn Watson

10. Joe Burrow

-That is just college, so block out the Pro's. I am not sure I agree 100% with this list but it is a decent list. Nothing bad about it. Of course Caleb Williams isn't on this list because his career isn't over. Out of those 10, Peyton Manning and John Elway are the only 2 so far that went on to make the Hall of Fame and were great QB's. Andrew Luck was definitely a very good Pro. Joe Burrow is probably the 2nd best QB today behind Pat Mahomes. Watson has had flashes of being a great Pro but as of now things aren't looking good. Doug Flutie and a couple memorable seasons in the Pro's where he was good, was great in the Canada League. Matt Leinart and Vince Young and Tim Tebow weren't good in the Pro's, and Tommie Frazier never played in the Pro's. Those last 4 QBs (Leinart, Young, Tebow, and Frazier) I named, all dominated in college and each won at least 1 National Championship.

1 omission I see here is, Trevor Lawrence not being in the top 10? But it is hard to take anyone off that list.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NewColtsFanand @Moosejawcolt

ESPN's top 10 college QB's ever as to date are:, they base a lot of this on college accomplishments but also unreal talent in college.

1. Tim Tebow

2. Peyton Manning

3. John Elway

4. Matt Leinart

5. Andrew Luck

6. Tommie Frazier

7. Vince Young

8. Doug Flutie

9. Deshawn Watson

10. Joe Burrow

-That is just college, so block out the Pro's. I am not sure I agree 100% with this list but it is a decent list. Nothing bad about it. Of course Caleb Williams isn't on this list because his career isn't over. Out of those 10, Peyton Manning and John Elway are the only 2 so far that went on to make the Hall of Fame and were great QB's. Andrew Luck was definitely a very good Pro. Joe Burrow is probably the 2nd best QB today behind Pat Mahomes. Watson has had flashes of being a great Pro but as of now things aren't looking good. Doug Flutie and a couple memorable seasons in the Pro's where he was good, was great in the Canada League. Matt Leinart and Vince Young and Tim Tebow weren't good in the Pro's, and Tommie Frazier never played in the Pro's. Those last 4 QBs (Leinart, Young, Tebow, and Frazier) I named, all dominated in college and each won at least 1 National Championship.

1 omission I see here is, Trevor Lawrence not being in the top 10? But it is hard to take anyone off that list.

As great as Peyton was jn the NFL, I woul dt have him near the top of that list.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

As great as Peyton was jn the NFL, I woul dt have him near the top of that list.

It is only based on college. In college, Peyton threw 11,200 yards, 89 TD's and 33 INT's. He was also 39-6 as a starter. He never won a Championship because he lost to Florida every year. Back then Florida had stacked teams. I don't think you remember how great Peyton was in college? He was at the time regarded the most talented thrower ever in college football history back in 1997. I think had he won a Championship; he would be #1. 

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Did I read that right?! 

Well….  You read it right, I just wrote it wrong!    :facepalm:

What I meant to write us that I doubt Williams makes more at USC than he would as the first overall pick in the 24 draft.    Bad brain cramp.   Sleep deprived.  

Thanks for the catch.   

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  You read it right, I just wrote it wrong!    :facepalm:

What I meant to write us that I doubt Williams makes more at USC than he would as the first overall pick in the 24 draft.    Bad brain cramp.   Sleep deprived.  

Thanks for the catch.   

I actually predict Maye will go 1st. I think Caleb maybe a head ache for teams and he maybe a turnoff in one on one interviews.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Per multiple sources, the representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft.

Get your popcorn ready. This is going to be fun!!!!

If this is really true, better concentrate on playing college football before making demands on the next level. He went up against a team that has some NFL prospects on defense and didn't look good at all.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I actually predict Maye will go 1st. I think Caleb maybe a head ache for teams and he maybe a turnoff in one on one interviews.

I still think he is the best QB in college.  Was shocked to see how much he struggled vs ND but I still think he is better than Maye.

17 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

If this is really true, better concentrate on playing college football before making demands on the next level. He went up against a team that has some NFL prospects on defense and didn't look good at all.

It’s not happening.   It’s illegal for a player to get any level of ownership while playing.   There’s a reason why it’s never happened before.   It’s illegal.  

Scroll up and see the explanation from Go Colts 1888 for more context.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2023 at 5:57 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will follow this up by saying, I do think Caleb Williams can be the real deal. He is a great college QB, but some of these people acting like he walks on water is insane. IMO, Michael Penix look like he could easily be a good Pro.

I saw Michael in person during his IU days. Phenomenal talent and fun to watch. I’m happy to see he’s succeeding in life. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I saw Michael in person during his IU days. Phenomenal talent and fun to watch. I’m happy to see he’s succeeding in life. 

Ok, long time question...

How do we pronounce the name Penix?

As Michael as you said? :funny:

As Penny with X as silent?

Or the normal PEN in place of BO in Bo Nix?

I'm asking as I've no clue, and don't follow college football much until the draft time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ok, long time question...

How do we pronounce the name Penix?

As Michael as you said? :funny:

As Penny with X as silent?

Or the normal PEN in place of BO in Bo Nix?

I'm asking as I've no clue, and don't follow college football much until the draft time. 

Penn-nicks

• Thanks 2

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't privates?

I’ve heard a few say it as pee-nicks, yeah. But most of the time it’s been penn-nicks or peh-niks.

But we’re Hoosiers and tend to Hoosierize our words… like how Milan is pronounced Migh-lan instead of Mee-lawn.  

And Versailles is Vehr-sails instead of Ver-sigh. 

We’re weird.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:52 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

There is alot  of evaluation between now and the draft. 

100% right here. And those 4 months from their last NCAA game to the draft are going to be the most nitpicking process ever and just look to last year's process to get an example. 

Even though his father/coach said it isn't happening, I'd like to see Shedeur Sanders come out too and just add another ingredient to the pot(only helps the Colts imo). 

18 hours ago, ColtV said:

100% right here. And those 4 months from their last NCAA game to the draft are going to be the most nitpicking process ever and just look to last year's process to get an example. 

Even though his father/coach said it isn't happening, I'd like to see Shedeur Sanders come out too and just add another ingredient to the pot(only helps the Colts imo). 

His father is right. Shedeur Sanders makes 1 GW drive against CSU, and compares himself to Brady. It is a good thing they started losing a few games, so that he stays humble and realizes he has long ways to go to beat the better teams. He is still young enough to learn fast and Deion will make sure he is grounded. 1 more year would do him a LOT of good, from draft positioning to learning more as a starter.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 7:46 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't privates? haha I typed in the P word just to see what it would do, it came up privates Oh My God Wow GIF

You typed in the P word, now your name got moved right up to the top of the potential ban list  :funny:

Good thing it's the season of banning.

First Rodgers, next Stewart and now it's you...

'Them Hits keep on coming.. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

His father is right. Shedeur Sanders makes 1 GW drive against CSU, and compares himself to Brady. It is a good thing they started losing a few games, so that he stays humble and realizes he has long ways to go to beat the better teams. He is still young enough to learn fast and Deion will make sure he is grounded. 1 more year would do him a LOT of good, from draft positioning to learning more as a starter.

He also has 30+ starts I believe. Even in losses(outside of Oregon) he's put up great numbers. 

I don't put too much issue into the Brady thing. As you say, about Deon, unlike most of these guys he's had a coach who will have zero problems telling him he aint (expletive). 

But more qb's in the first(assuming that Richardson returns fully healthy) is a bonus for the Colts in this upcoming draft. Teams that are looking to get a qb and move into the Colts slot to get him will know they have to pay a premium(a la Chicago trading up for Justin Fields). 

On 10/15/2023 at 10:43 PM, NewColtsFan said:

ok….   Thanks.   

Not sure I see that.   But it’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.   Yesterday was a bad loss for Williams against Notre Dame.  That won’t help. 

Take a look st Williams stats when he plays a good D. It is not good. He hangs on to the ball to long and relies on his arm and atheltism to get out of trouble. I still beleive Maye goes number one and Williams just screams bust to me.