Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Scores **Updated, complete team scores Page 2**

Peter Nova

8 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I just don’t get it at this time. The Colts were something like 2-12 on third downs and didn’t push the ball downfield yesterday. Until that improves, hard to get excited about Richardson at this point. Hope he can consistently do it in the near future.

ballard needs to get him some receivers who can get open and change direction at full stride

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Smith was having a go of it but i will say this.....he was often times matching up w Allen, who was an absolute game wrecker yesterday. Allen ended up w a top-10 Edge grade for the week at 86.9. So Smith had his hands full and had to also deal w the least reliable and least effective member of our line playing beside him too. 

I will also say this, on at least one of the sacks he "allowed" he did a great job of running the defender (Walker) off and past where Richardson was set up. AR should have been able to step up and dump it off.  Instead the defender looped around to complete the sack. Braden did his job and it still resulted in a sack. That is probably the type of play PFF doesn't ding him for. 

The potential is high for this unit if they can just settle RG. But I am not very hopeful about that since we have known that all off-season and have not seen moves made.

Maybe Sills can be an answer, but I am not sure. 

And there is a complete and total void of quality OL play across the league. So many teams are hurting for OL talent, so there is not much just hanging out there to solve issues sadly. 

Note: this is the video of the Walker sack on Braden.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/travon-walker-flies-past-braden-smith-to-sack-richardson

No way this is on Braden. The ball is snapped from the 19. He runs Walker past the QB back at the 8 yard line back 11 yards behind the line of scrimmage. At that point (6 second mark) Richardson steps up and has a WIDE OPEN RB in the flat to his left with no defender within 15 yards. He also has another WIDE OPEN receiver across the middle at the 24 with no defender within at least 8 yards. You do not get more wide open for either dump off. And yet he took a sack there. That is stuff that will be cleaned up in time. 

Yeah, I disagree. 

Did AR make a mistake in not making the obvious throws? Absolutely. But by the way Smith was trying to hang on to Walker at the end it was clear he was beat. For all we know it was a designed play for AR to go deep and AR didn't see Walker until the last second when he tucked the ball. It's not like AR was standing there for 8 secs.

To me it's a sack given up by Smith.

• Like 2

I have a question.  If a player commits a penalty does that hurt their score?  If so do you know to what degree?  Do the yards penalized make a difference?  I ask because both of Fries pass blocking and run blocking scores were higher than his overall score.  I remember his one penalty negating a first down run.  I don’t recall any other penalties on the OL.   I would think a penalty would but I have no idea if it figures in.  Anyone know?   Thanks.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I have a question.  If a player commits a penalty does that hurt their score?  If so do you know to what degree?  Do the yards penalized make a difference?  I ask because both of Fries pass blocking and run blocking scores were higher than his overall score.  I remember his one penalty negating a first down run.  I don’t recall any other penalties on the OL.   I would think a penalty would but I have no idea if it figures in.  Anyone know?   Thanks.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff-grades-pass-protection

Per PFF article link above:

"One other key component to the PFF pass-blocking grade is a player’s ability to avoid penalties. PFF differentiates penalties that are due to poor discipline, such as false starts:

Clear holding penalties that are the result of poor pass protection will be charged against a player’s pass-blocking grade."

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff-grades-run-blocking

https://www.pff.com/grades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Speaking of Paris anyone see him with the Giants Sunday night?  Yikes…glad the Colts let him walk.

That QB barely gave Parris a chance. Jones was atrocious. If AR played like that in week 1, we might have been forced to start Minshew against Houston :D 

Either way, not really on Parris, and yes he's not the banner Ohio State wide receiver but that game wasn't the stick to beat him with

• w87r changed the title to PFF Scores **Updated, complete team scores Page 2**
2 hours ago, KB said:

Wow! The #1 and 3 DT with the #1 and 2 LB is great to see. If the secondary can grow, and Leonard continues to progress to his old self, then we have one of the best defenses we've had in a long long time.

If you go to this link and click on all 4 of them, it has their full grades available.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts/14/roster

• Like 2

As far as the offense, it looks like we have a good oline but have terrible skilled positions.  Our oline graded well enough to win NFL football games, but the skilled positions not well enough to win even 1 game, IMO.

If there is some disputing the PFF grades relative to actual performance, I get that we use our own eyes to make judgments.   That's fine.  But if this is the standard measure by which we grade players and therefore rosters, it speaks pretty badly for roster construction and which positions have been emphasized.  An oline that grades mainly in the in the 70s got us 14 offensive points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Team PFF scores:(positional rank) Top 10

Offense:

QB:

Richardson - 49.3(27/32)

Minshew - 44.3(NR)

Ehlinger - (NA)

RB:

Moss - (NA)

Jackson - 28.4(58/58)

Hull - 65.7(NR)

Funk - 63.5(NR)

Taylor - (NA)

WR:

Pittman - 69.4(30/110)

Pierce - 49.7(100/110)

Downs - 55.8(78/110)

McKenzie - 59.1(NR)

Winfree - 54.1(NR)

TE:

Cox - 53.3(40/63)

Granson - 61.6(27/63)

Ogletree - 68.2(NR)

Mallory - (NA)

Woods - (NA)

OT:

Raimann - 71.5(13/65)

Smith - 70.4(16/65)

Freeland - (NA)

Hayes - (NA)

OG:

Nelson - 70.9(14/65)

Fries - 55.4(42/65)

Sills - 58.6(NR)

OC:

Kelly - 70.6(8/32)

French - (NA)

Defense:

DE:

Paye - 74.1(27/106)

Ekubam - 54.6(82/106)

Dayo - 58.3(72/106)

Lewis - 55.6(79/106)

Martin - 65.8(NR)

DT:

Buckner - 92.5(1/127)

Stewart - 90.2(3/127)

Bryan - 63.1(63/127)

Adebawore - (NR)

Johnson - 61.0(74/127)

LB:

Leonard - 66.3(37/73)

Franklin - 92.2(2/73)

Speed - 94.8(1/73)

Stuart - (NA)

CB:

Baker - 44.8(87/92)

Flowers - 53.6(69/92)

Moore - 57.3(62/92)

Jones - 60.0(NR)

Brown - 78.3(NR)

Brents - (NA)

S:

Blackmon - 53.6(64/79)

Thomas - 43.8(72/79)

Cross - (NA)

Denbow - (NA)

K:

Gay - 63.5(NR)

P:

Sanchez  - 60.9(19/29)

Total offense grade: 53.1

pass: 49.2

run: 38.8

Pass blocking: 68.3

Run blocking: 62.3

WR route running: 57.1

Total defense grade: 78.9

Run defense: 83.4

Tackling: 66.4

Passrush: 73.3

Coverage: 66.2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:07 PM, smittywerb said:

WOW!  Lol. Maybe Braden played so bad because he was trying to block for Fries too lol

Good to see Top Raimann putting up a respectable grade.

idk, the eye test says to me the line looked bad but pff says outside of fries we were solid.  Idk what to make of it.  We played a tough defense so hopefully against a weak one with the Texans we’ll see something different.

Not sure about Houston's overall defense but Will Anderson is anything but weak.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Team PFF scores:(positional rank) Top 10

Offense:

QB:

Richardson - 49.3(27/32)

Minshew - 44.3(NR)

Ehlinger - (NA)

RB:

Moss - (NA)

Jackson - 28.4(58/58)

Hull - 65.7(NR)

Funk - 63.5(NR)

Taylor - (NA)

WR:

Pittman - 69.4(30/110)

Pierce - 49.7(100/110)

Downs - 55.8(78/110)

McKenzie - 59.1(NR)

Winfree - 54.1(NR)

TE:

Cox - 53.3(40/63)

Granson - 61.6(27/63)

Ogletree - 68.2(NR)

Mallory - (NA)

Woods - (NA)

OT:

Raimann - 71.5(13/65)

Smith - 70.4(16/65)

Freeland - (NA)

Hayes - (NA)

OG:

Nelson - 70.9(14/65)

Fries - 55.4(42/65)

Sills - 58.6(NR)

OC:

Kelly - 70.6(8/32)

French - (NA)

Defense:

DE:

Paye - 74.1(27/106)

Ekubam - 54.6(82/106)

Dayo - 58.3(72/106)

Lewis - 55.6(79/106)

Martin - 65.8(NR)

DT:

Buckner - 92.5(1/127)

Stewart - 90.2(3/127)

Bryan - 63.1(63/127)

Adebawore - (NR)

Johnson - 61.0(74/127)

LB:

Leonard - 66.3(37/73)

Franklin - 92.2(2/73)

Speed - 94.8(1/73)

Stuart - (NA)

CB:

Baker - 44.8(87/92)

Flowers - 53.6(69/92)

Moore - 57.3(62/92)

Jones - 60.0(NR)

Brown - 78.3(NR)

Brents - (NA)

S:

Blackmon - 53.6(64/79)

Thomas - 43.8(72/79)

Cross - (NA)

Denbow - (NA)

K:

Gay - 63.5(NR)

P:

Sanchez  - 60.9(19/29)

Wonder why they ranked AR so low when his QBR was actually good enough for 7th best. Interesting to know the details

18 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah, I disagree. 

Did AR make a mistake in not making the obvious throws? Absolutely. But by the way Smith was trying to hang on to Walker at the end it was clear he was beat. For all we know it was a designed play for AR to go deep and AR didn't see Walker until the last second when he tucked the ball. It's not like AR was standing there for 8 secs.

To me it's a sack given up by Smith.

I might have too re-watch the game. Real time I thought jags was covering the deep threat. But I will admit I was bouncing back and forth to NFL redzone. I didn't even see where Hull got hurt.

18 hours ago, w87r said:

TE:

Cox - 53.3(40/63)

Granson - 61.6(27/63)

Ogletree - 68.2(NR)

Mallory - (NA)

Woods - (NA)

We know about our WRs and RBs, but these scores might be surprising to some. 

This is only one game, but I don't know if its going to get a whole lot better.  Ogletree was a 5th rounder for a reason, and Woods might be nothing more than an inconsistent RAS guy.  I wouldn't count on him raising the quality of the TE room a bunch when he gets back.  They may all settle into being backup/situational quality by the end of the year. 

I'm not as high on the TE room as other folks here.  We'll see how they grade out during the season.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 1:43 PM, DougDew said:

As far as the offense, it looks like we have a good oline but have terrible skilled positions.  Our oline graded well enough to win NFL football games, but the skilled positions not well enough to win even 1 game, IMO.

If there is some disputing the PFF grades relative to actual performance, I get that we use our own eyes to make judgments.   That's fine.  But if this is the standard measure by which we grade players and therefore rosters, it speaks pretty badly for roster construction and which positions have been emphasized.  An oline that grades mainly in the in the 70s got us 14 offensive points.

It’s one game.    One.    That’s all.   And it’s the first game as well.   And it’s the first game for the head coach, his staff and the rookie quarterback. 

Why people here try so hard to reach big conclusions from just the first game of the season will always be a mystery.    It’s been happening since I arrived here over 12 years ago.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts have some of the best lime backers in the league. Pretty good DT tandem too. Grover keeps getting better with age. I don’t think he is ever going to slow down. Colts need to get him signed to a e tension. 

Ogletree looked really good before he got hit and had to leave the game.

I think that Buckner trade was that It factor that catapulted the defense to where they are today.  We just need to find that it factor for offense whether it's a trade or in free agency and build on it

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s one game.    One.    That’s all.   And it’s the first game as well.   And it’s the first game for the head coach, his staff and the rookie quarterback. 

Why people here try so hard to reach big conclusions from just the first game of the season will always be a mystery.    It’s been happening since I arrived here over 12 years ago.   

The point was not to draw a conclusion about the current season, but to show the continued observation some of us have had over the years.   It seems that the oline played well enough to win the game, and the skilled positions let us down......despite the popular narratives that the oline lets us down.

SS has a ways to go to get the O where it needs to be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

The point was not to draw a conclusion about the current season, but to show the continued observation some of us have had over the years.   It seems that the oline played well enough to win the game, and the skilled positions let us down......despite the popular narratives that the oline lets us down.

Interesting response, thanks. 

To be clear, my comment that people here rush to judgement every year after week one is an observation I’ve made practically every year since I arrived in May of 2012.  

Every September I’ve urged posters not to read too much into week one results whether the Colts win or lose.   Most NFL teams aren’t 100 percent ready week one.  They’ve played their top players very little in training camp to avoid injuries that the teams are simply not up to speed.   By the way, this is not my opinion,  this is what I’ve read over the years.  

So if most teams aren’t ready, I’m confident that a rookie head coach and his new staff and inexperienced rookie quarterback all in their very first game aren’t quite ready as well.   

I know my view on this is not popular, but I’m ok with that.   Everyone’s mileage may differ but for me, the season gets real and interesting in October, week 3/4.    But that’s me.  

But pick the thread, any thread.  Posters are making big pronouncements about most anything.   The new head coach, the rookie QB, every member of the OL individually,  the RB’s, the WR’s, and on  and on.   I’ve never felt anyone knows anything after one week.   Not anyone, including me.   My view is time and patience is your friend.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting response, thanks. 

To be clear, my comment that people here rush to judgement every year after week one is an observation I’ve made practically every year since I arrived in May of 2012.  

Every September I’ve urged posters not to read too much into week one results whether the Colts win or lose.   Most NFL teams aren’t 100 percent ready week one.  They’ve played their top players very little in training camp to avoid injuries that the teams are simply not up to speed.   By the way, this is not my opinion,  this is what I’ve read over the years.  

So if most teams aren’t ready, I’m confident that a rookie head coach and his new staff and inexperienced rookie quarterback all in their very first game aren’t quite ready as well.   

I know my view on this is not popular, but I’m ok with that.   Everyone’s mileage may differ but for me, the season gets real and interesting in October, week 3/4.    But that’s me.  

But pick the thread, any thread.  Posters are making big pronouncements about most anything.   The new head coach, the rookie QB, every member of the OL individually,  the RB’s, the WR’s, and on  and on.   I’ve never felt anyone knows anything after one week.   Not anyone, including me.   My view is time and patience is your friend.  

I agree.  If you were quoting my post to make a general lecture to the forum, I understand. 

Just to be clear for me,  I have idea how things will grade out as the season moves along. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree with you and NCF.. It's just the first game so I'm being calm. I do believe SS needs to be better allowing what plays go out on Offense at the time we need 1st downs or points. I was very proud of the defense, I was expecting much worse. 

On 9/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, EasyE said:

I agree with you and NCF.. It's just the first game so I'm being calm. I do believe SS needs to be better allowing what plays go out on Offense at the time we need 1st4 downs or points. I was very proud of the defense, I was expecting much worse. 

Steichen and his coaches are building this offense brick by brick. We saw significant failures with Reggies group executing.  

They will be trying to clean up the bad from what we put on tape and adding and practicing more of the playbook each week. 

AR had a good handle on most of what he was given week 1, and will surely gain confidence. How about we put 3 points on the chart before we get overly judgie!

I sure wish we had a healthy Woods out there instead of Mac. And I'm praying Ogletree stays healthy. We need really good blocking from the TE position someday. And WR, and RB.

• Like 1