Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any Injury Update?

Dingus McGirt

This was the last update.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Anthony Richardson suffered a knee bruise in Week 1’s loss against the Jaguars.

Richardson, who left the team’s Week 1 game late in the fourth quarter after a big hit near the goal line, “will be fine,” per Pelissero. It’s good news for the rookie, who was solid in his NFL debut, throwing for 223 yards, one touchdown, and one interception, and rushing for 40 yards. Richardson drafters should keep a close eye on Richardson’s practice participation ahead of the Colts’ Week 2 game against the Texans.

5h ago

Source: Tom Pelissero

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This was the last update.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Anthony Richardson suffered a knee bruise in Week 1’s loss against the Jaguars.

Richardson, who left the team’s Week 1 game late in the fourth quarter after a big hit near the goal line, “will be fine,” per Pelissero. It’s good news for the rookie, who was solid in his NFL debut, throwing for 223 yards, one touchdown, and one interception, and rushing for 40 yards. Richardson drafters should keep a close eye on Richardson’s practice participation ahead of the Colts’ Week 2 game against the Texans.

5h ago

Source: Tom Pelissero

Worth noting Richardson said himself the knee bruise was in the second quarter.  Either way a knee bruise and big hit knocking him out of the game at the end is not how you want your franchise QB to start his first game.  The Colts need to learn the lesson from Andrew Luck and start focusing on protecting Richardson from Richardson if needed.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth noting Richardson said himself the knee bruise was in the second quarter.  Either way a knee bruise and big hit knocking him out of the game at the end is not how you want your franchise QB to start his first game.  The Colts need to learn the lesson from Andrew Luck and start focusing on protecting Richardson from Richardson if needed.

I’m sure that’ll be a hot topic this week

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah. Lawerence talked to Richardson after the game and told him he played amazing today. Also said for him to protect himself better. “College hits and NFL hits are different” he said. Richardson also said the knee bruise hurt less than losing. Honestly I think if that hit happened earlier in the game, he would have come back in. I also think he’ll learn to start sliding. Steichen better have those words on repeat to him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomOldGuy said:

Any updates on Evan Hull?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-evan-hull-appears-to-avoid-serious-injury/

Colts' Evan Hull: Appears to avoid serious injury

Hull, who was forced from the Week 1 loss to the Jaguars with a knee issue, isn't believed to be dealing with a significant injury but will undergo further testing to confirm, Joel A. Erickson of The Indianapolis Star reports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen said he will be fine. I don’t even think trainers were looking at him when he went to bench. He did say he bruised his knee.

I think he just pulled him cause at that point the chances of him getting hurt trying to win the game were greater than the odds of him actually winning the game.

9 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think he just pulled him cause at that point the chances of him getting hurt trying to win the game were greater than the odds of him actually winning the game.

If so that was smart but that whole last bit was strange. Shane should have kicked a field goal on one of the two fourth downs and given them a chance.  Oh well water under the bridge at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If so that was smart but that whole last bit was strange. Shane should have kicked a field goal on one of the two fourth downs and given them a chance.  Oh well water under the bridge at this point.

Exactly!  They had to kick the FG even if they scored a TD, which meant an onside kick.

So, kick the FG and try the onside kick.  

Shane is apparently learning as much as AR5 is.  Those 4th down calls were odd.  Should have taken the points on the first one.  The Jags were owning our O line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-evan-hull-appears-to-avoid-serious-injury/

Colts' Evan Hull: Appears to avoid serious injury

Hull, who was forced from the Week 1 loss to the Jaguars with a knee issue, isn't believed to be dealing with a significant injury but will undergo further testing to confirm, Joel A. Erickson of The Indianapolis Star reports.

He’ll be on IR…LOL.  But seriously, thanks for the updates!

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Exactly!  They had to kick the FG even if they scored a TD, which meant an onside kick.

Shane is apparently learning as much as AR5 is.  Those 4th down calls were odd.  Should have taken the points on the first one.  The Jags were owning our O line.

I was very surprised at some of Shane’s coaching decisions in this game.  He’s been around football all his life.  You would think he would know the basics by now.  I hope we don’t have to worry about his decision making going forward.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was very surprised at some of Shane’s coaching decisions in this game.  He’s been around football all his life.  You would think he would know the basics by now.  I hope we don’t have to worry about his decision making going forward.

My opinion is Shane was trying to show that they can pick up the tough yards and keep Richardson rolling with momentum. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and he’s aware of taking the points when necessary. A few of those failed 4th down conversions could have been 3 points. Would it have changed the game? Maybe. Who knows. But at least 6 points were left on the field. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

My opinion is Shane was trying to show that they can pick up the tough yards and keep Richardson rolling with momentum. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and he’s aware of taking the points when necessary. A few of those failed 4th down conversions could have been 3 points. Would it have changed the game? Maybe. Who knows. But at least 6 points were left on the field. 

Plus it gave  jags 7. Because instead of punting deep jags got a TD on one of those fail attempts. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

It's an old school mentality that actually has worked for us in the past (the tough yards stuff not talking about going for it on 4th). Manning even mentioned the famous 2006 AFC Championship game was nothing fancy. They just lined up their best guys against the Patriots and outmuscled them instead of trying to scheme. 

When it works, the team gets fired up and gains confidence. I think Detroit and Kansas kind of woke up the rest of the league into just going for it on 4th instead of kicking. 

56 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree with what Steichen did.  You’re close enough for the TD now, so get it!  If you kick the FG, not only do you have to get the on-sides kick, but you have to go half the field for a TD with little time on the clock.  You get the TD, and you only have 15 to FG range and could actually WIN in regulation with another TD…

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Archer said:

I agree with what Steichen did.  You’re close enough for the TD now, so get it!  If you kick the FG, not only do you have to get the on-sides kick, but you have to go half the field for a TD with little time on the clock.  You get the TD, and you only have 15 to FG range and could actually WIN in regulation with another TD…

A true moot point.  It was the first 4th down, right?  Time on the clock if you get the FG.  You have to get the onside kick either way.  

But I understand his logic.  

If this is a question about Anthony Richardson - Adam Schefter reported on ESPN's "The Pat McAfee Show" today that AR banged his knee earlier in the game - but - continued to play.

We he banged the same knee on the final drive - it was determined that AR would leave the game in favor of getting QB Gardner Minshew some snaps.

He has a bruised knee - and - it is nothing to worry about.